• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta 2015 Community Tier List Voting

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
That video is well over a year old and before I was MIOM ranked lol

In all seriousness though, what is your record against Kage?

I can't recall you two ever playing on stream, and I can't recall hearing about any of your off stream matches if that happened.

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
I've never played as much as a friendly against Kage, but he just looks like Bizzarro Flame with a little bit more stuff (crouch canceling mostly)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I've never played as much as a friendly against Kage, but he just looks like Bizzarro Flame with a little bit more stuff (crouch canceling mostly)
Lol if you can't gather a little more than that you'd probably want to hope you don't face him in bracket.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
C'mon Laud you trolling again?

I think you're forgetting the ENORMOUS fact that Kage actually plays to win and doesn't try the same wave land grab 10 times in a row or any other silly flashy stuff BF does. Heck even Eikelmann would do better.

I smell a Salty Suite incoming please :]
Kage vs. Laudandus

Jim Jam Flim Flam

Smash Apprentice
As I look at these tier lists, I am noticing two things that bother me. I certainly am not an expert in any regard, so if I have any misinformation, please let me know.
Why is Yoshi so low? I would put yoshi right about 14th, somewhere around there, perhaps a bit lower, but I don't see how Yoshi is worse than Ganon. Yoshi has combos, he can move decently fast, hes got the parry, superarmor, doublejump cancels. Eggstalling is a fantastic tool for getting back from the edge. He is really heavy, any good Yoshi can usually live well past 100 percent. He certainly has a lot of drawbacks but he has a lot of really good tools that characters like Ganon don't have.
Also, I have seen people grouping Pikachu with the other s tier characters like falcon and puff. Why put Pika so high? I would agree that he is just below the S tier characters, something like 10th place, but he loses the neutral to every top 8 character except Falcon, and that's not winning, it's only an even matchup. Pika is awful against sheik and ICs, meh against spacies and marth, has a hard time against puff and peach. Even among the mid to lower tiers his matchup spread isn't too great. If you're basing it on tournament wins, of course axe would heavily influence the results, but that doesn't make the character S tier.

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Axe definitely has inflated Pika's place in these lists, character loses to fox/falco, goes even with falcon/marth, gets bodied by Peach/Sheik, and Axe straight up refuses to go Pika against IC's more often than not lol. Puff MU idk.

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
C'mon Laud you trolling again?

I think you're forgetting the ENORMOUS fact that Kage actually plays to win and doesn't try the same wave land grab 10 times in a row or any other silly flashy stuff BF does. Heck even Eikelmann would do better.

I smell a Salty Suite incoming please :]
Kage vs. Laudandus
Id watch that

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
I think Laudandus brings up some good points.

Captain Falcon is a very good character because of his insane punish game. A good Falcon should be able to stomp --> knee every tech roll. Not only does that do a lot of damage, but the knee is also a fantastic kill move; that means that Falcon only has to stomp --> knee your tech rolls a few times to secure the kill. Fox's punish game isn't nearly as sick. That's a point for Falcon right there.

Last edited:

Jim Jam Flim Flam

Smash Apprentice

Captain Falcon is a very good character because of his insane punish game. A good Falcon should be able to stomp --> knee every tech roll. Not only does that do a lot of damage, but the knee is also a fantastic kill move; that means that Falcon only has to stomp --> knee your tech rolls a few times to secure the kill. Fox's punish game isn't nearly as sick. That's a point for Falcon right there.
with one shine Fox can waveshine falcon across the entire map and shine spike him when he's off the edge. In practice that almost never happens, but neither do perfect stomp/knee tech chases with Falcon. I agree that captain falcon is a good character, but not on par with fox. When fox makes a mistake, he can recover or escape somehow. When falcon makes a mistake, he gets shine spiked, gimped in some way because of his awful recovery, or comboed because he is so damn heavy. Fox has a tool for almost everything, while falcon has speed and combos and that's really about it. He has nothing good oos. His recovery is awful. His aerial moves have a good amount of startup lag. His only decent grounded moves are jab and dtilt, and the occasional utilt or ftilt for edgeguarding. He gets comboed easily by all of the top 8 characters. He can space with nair but not much else. He has good grab follow ups but his grab range is short.
I don't know your particular opinions Scrumpy, I just wanna put this information out there. I know this information seems obvious but it can't hurt.

Xxaz_v

Smash Cadet

I actually can't tell if you're ****posting or not.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
The real question must be

Does captain falcon have ANY weaknesses??
Only his pride, that is the only thing holding him back from winning nationals.

Everything else is flawless -

His recovery? Ohhh gurl you know it be on FLEEK!
Hitboxes? more like Killboxes
Attack speed? "Too fast 4 me" - Sonic the Hedgehog 2015
OoS options? So versatile, don't have time to go over them all.
Combo Weight? Very rare that THE ENTIRE CAST EVEN LOW TIERS can get more than a 1 hit combo on Falcon. In your dreams scrubs, too slippery.
Easy to Chain Grab for everyone? That's a myth, I don't believe in that propaganda.
Easy to read Techs? Not if you throw sand in the other player's eyes

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
with one shine Fox can waveshine falcon across the entire map and shine spike him when he's off the edge. In practice that almost never happens, but neither do perfect stomp/knee tech chases with Falcon. I agree that captain falcon is a good character, but not on par with fox. When fox makes a mistake, he can recover or escape somehow. When falcon makes a mistake, he gets shine spiked, gimped in some way because of his awful recovery, or comboed because he is so damn heavy. Fox has a tool for almost everything, while falcon has speed and combos and that's really about it. He has nothing good oos. His recovery is awful. His aerial moves have a good amount of startup lag. His only decent grounded moves are jab and dtilt, and the occasional utilt or ftilt for edgeguarding. He gets comboed easily by all of the top 8 characters. He can space with nair but not much else. He has good grab follow ups but his grab range is short.
I don't know your particular opinions Scrumpy, I just wanna put this information out there. I know this information seems obvious but it can't hurt.
Okay, but you really only gave me one matchup-specific example and nothing else. Falcon can stomp --> knee Fox as well as just about every character in the game. And listing Captain Falcon's weaknesses isn't a good argument because every character has weaknesses; for example, Fox is very susceptible to stomp --> knee.

I'm not even going to go into how good players can get out of a lot of the stuff that you said Fox has guaranteed on Falcon.

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
After several hours of consideration, I've finally come up with my tier list.

S Tier
1: :foxmelee:
2:
:falconmelee:
3: :marthmelee:
4: :falcomelee:
5: :sheikmelee:

A Tier
6: :peachmelee:
7: :pikachumelee:
8: :jigglypuffmelee:
9: :samusmelee:
10: :icsmelee:
11: :yoshimelee:
12: :ganondorfmelee:
13: :drmario:

B Tier
14: :younglinkmelee:
15: :luigimelee:
16: :mariomelee:
17: :linkmelee:
18: :dkmelee:
19: :gawmelee:

C Tier
20: :zeldamelee:
21: :mewtwomelee:
22: :pichumelee:

D Tier
23: :nessmelee:
24: :kirbymelee:
25: :bowsermelee:
26: :roymelee:

If anyone has any questions about my tier list, I'll be happy to answer them.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante

S Tier
2:

A Tier

B Tier

C Tier

D Tier

Slight discrepancy between #1 and #2 but I'm cherry-picking at this point.

EDIT: Plunder Plunder CF hubris is the downfall of melee

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
Picking between Falcon and Fox for the number one spot was probably the hardest decision I had to make when making the tier list. Though Falcon has an unrivaled punish game with those stomp --> knees on everyone's rolls, Fox has shine. Shine can kill a lot of characters offstage at 0%; Falcon doesn't have a reliable tool like that. Stomp is really good, but it can be meteor canceled. Therefore, Fox can get a way more significant advantage off of just one hit than Falcon can.

I almost tied them for the first spot, but I decided that Fox's advantages are just too strong. They're so close on the tier list that Falcon might as well be spot 1.5.

Xxaz_v

Smash Cadet
Magicscrumpy for Melee back room 2015. I was going to post my tier list until I saw scrumpys. Clearly this is the most accurate tier list so far and should be the official 2015 tier list.

Xxaz_v

Smash Cadet
Not even being sarcastic, he's BRoomer material.

#shotsfired
Your shots don't mean anything. Magicscrumpy is a riot shield of Melee. He has researched this game for about the same amount of time it takes for s McDonalds toy to break. Which is much longer than my attention span, but that's besides the point. The rest of the Backroomers don't know anything about Melee compared to scrumpy's plethora of knowledge. Scrumpy's uncle works at Nintendo, giving infinite knowledge about everything ever.

#Triggered

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
Come on now, Ace. I main a better character than you do, which means I know a LITTLE bit more about what a good character is and what a good character isn't. Therefore, anything I say about the tier list holds more water.

But if you agree with me then you're probably right.

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
MagicScrumpy MagicScrumpy why did you put Luigi so low

Also do Turbo Mode Marth
First of all, I don't think it's a very good idea to derail this thread with YouTube video suggestions. This thread already practically derails itself without your help!

Anyway, I put Luigi so low on the list because he sucks. He's worse than every character above him, but he's better than every character below him. That's why he's there. Unless I'm mistaken, that's how a tier list works.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator

S Tier
2:

A Tier

B Tier

C Tier

D Tier

why is falcon 2nd best character, and i'd swap Bowser and Roy and Pichu and Ness
I'm bewildered

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
scrumpy, i'm wondering why you put yoshi so low. amsa got 5th at apex, the largest tournament ever, so doesn't that warrant yoshi to be at least in the top 8 characters? mew2king didn't even get top 8 at apex and all three of his characters (except pichu xD) are there

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
scrumpy, i'm wondering why you put yoshi so low. amsa got 5th at apex, the largest tournament ever, so doesn't that warrant yoshi to be at least in the top 8 characters? mew2king didn't even get top 8 at apex and all three of his characters (except pichu xD) are there
I think he put him low because yoshi is still low tier at heart, he has a bunch of gimmicks and intricacies that only a few players actively used, Yoshi probably won't see a lot of play in the future because no one really has the time to fully main this character like aMSa did. And I'm not even getting into stuff like how, Yoshi has a terrible recovery, or how he's honestly pretty slow on FD. But Idk, results can't fully judge a character

thisisdredre

Smash Rookie
NNID
thisisdredre
3DS FC
2552-1386-9664

A Tier

D Tier

My only real concerns as to why you have Pikachu above Jigglypuff, when we have notable players like Prince Abu easily outplacing others like PikaChad at majors. That and how Roy, the poor man's Marth, is in any universe, worse than that pink puff ball.

chestnnut

Smash Rookie
Its been two years since the last Community Tier List and our knowledge of the game has grown significantly. While most of the top tiers are expected to remain in their places, majority opinion on the high/mid/low tiers has likely shifted.

Voting rules from last time have been dropped. Anyone may submit a vote, and you are free to update that vote as you wish. Voting closes at 11:59 CDT on 6/30/2015. Please note that votes with duplicate characters or missing characters will not be counted. Votes that are obviously trolls will also be ignored (eg, Pichu in top 3).

Once again there will be two lists compiled. One will be all of the votes, the other will be restricted to players who are either ranked on the MIOM top 100 or rated top 200 by SmashBoards Rankings.

VOTE HERE

Tips for a successful vote
  • Create your list ahead of time. This will make it easier to submit the form.
  • The quickest/easiest way to fill out the form is using TAB and typing the character's name.
  • Post your list here and discuss it with others. Feedback will improve the quality of your vote!
  • Submit early and review your list before the deadline. You may find you disagree with your earlier opinion.
  • If you have a question, ask it. If you are wondering, someone else is too.
FAQ
  • Rules?
    • NTSC
    • 5 Neutrals (YS, FoD, BF, FD, DL) and 1 Counterpick (PS)
    • Wobbling is legal
  • more coming...
Now, it would seem that everyone is voting fox for top tier. I'm not sure why, as there is a very obvious hinderance preventing him from being a good character. That reason being: fox's neutral B doesn't have knockback. What is the point of having a laser gun if nobody bothers to fly when you hit them with it? I propose that the new top tier spot be given to princess zelda. Zelda can use her diplomatic princess power to stop fights automatically and win. Obviously mewtwo should be c
Its been two years since the last Community Tier List and our knowledge of the game has grown significantly. While most of the top tiers are expected to remain in their places, majority opinion on the high/mid/low tiers has likely shifted.

Voting rules from last time have been dropped. Anyone may submit a vote, and you are free to update that vote as you wish. Voting closes at 11:59 CDT on 6/30/2015. Please note that votes with duplicate characters or missing characters will not be counted. Votes that are obviously trolls will also be ignored (eg, Pichu in top 3).

Once again there will be two lists compiled. One will be all of the votes, the other will be restricted to players who are either ranked on the MIOM top 100 or rated top 200 by SmashBoards Rankings.

VOTE HERE

Tips for a successful vote
  • Create your list ahead of time. This will make it easier to submit the form.
  • The quickest/easiest way to fill out the form is using TAB and typing the character's name.
  • Post your list here and discuss it with others. Feedback will improve the quality of your vote!
  • Submit early and review your list before the deadline. You may find you disagree with your earlier opinion.
  • If you have a question, ask it. If you are wondering, someone else is too.
FAQ
  • Rules?
    • NTSC
    • 5 Neutrals (YS, FoD, BF, FD, DL) and 1 Counterpick (PS)
    • Wobbling is legal
  • more coming...
Now it seems like many of you are selecting fox as the top tier character. I tell you that this can simply not be the case. Why? Because fox's neutral B doesn't have knockback. What is the point of having a laser gun if nobody bothers to fly when you hit them? I propose that you remove fox from the top s+ ranking and replace him with princess zelda. Zelda can use her diplomatic princess powers to stop fights before anyone else wins. Also, I believe that kirby should be banned from all tier lists, as it is impossible to guage his ranking, since he can be any other character he wants. This van lead to kirby moving all around the tier lost depending on which character he is up against. The same goes for the ice climbers. It just isn't fair to the rest of the cast that they can be combined into 1 character on tier lists. I also believe that marth should be at the bottom of the tier list, since nintendo obviously doesn't even think he's a character! Why else would they not have bothered to change his voice over from Japanese to english? Finally, I think all of you should consider how good mewtwo is before putting him on the bottom. He is obviously one of the best characters in the game because he is the best pokemon.

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
Now, it would seem that everyone is voting fox for top tier. I'm not sure why, as there is a very obvious hinderance preventing him from being a good character. That reason being: fox's neutral B doesn't have knockback. What is the point of having a laser gun if nobody bothers to fly when you hit them with it? I propose that the new top tier spot be given to princess zelda. Zelda can use her diplomatic princess power to stop fights automatically and win. Obviously mewtwo should be c

Now it seems like many of you are selecting fox as the top tier character. I tell you that this can simply not be the case. Why? Because fox's neutral B doesn't have knockback. What is the point of having a laser gun if nobody bothers to fly when you hit them? I propose that you remove fox from the top s+ ranking and replace him with princess zelda. Zelda can use her diplomatic princess powers to stop fights before anyone else wins. Also, I believe that kirby should be banned from all tier lists, as it is impossible to guage his ranking, since he can be any other character he wants. This van lead to kirby moving all around the tier lost depending on which character he is up against. The same goes for the ice climbers. It just isn't fair to the rest of the cast that they can be combined into 1 character on tier lists. I also believe that marth should be at the bottom of the tier list, since nintendo obviously doesn't even think he's a character! Why else would they not have bothered to change his voice over from Japanese to english? Finally, I think all of you should consider how good mewtwo is before putting him on the bottom. He is obviously one of the best characters in the game because he is the best pokemon.
i know this is trolling but does this count as double posting or no?

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet

Zelda sucks, bruh. Nayru's love is ****.
Also this community fails to recognize that Zelda is the worst character.

Last edited:

TheBaconDrinker

Smash Rookie
NNID
TehBaconDrinker
Now it seems like many of you are selecting fox as the top tier character. I tell you that this can simply not be the case. Why? Because fox's neutral B doesn't have knockback. Also, I believe that kirby should be banned from all tier lists, as it is impossible to guage his ranking, since he can be any other character he wants. I also believe that marth should be at the bottom of the tier list, since nintendo obviously doesn't even think he's a character! Why else would they not have bothered to change his voice over from Japanese to english? Finally, I think all of you should consider how good mewtwo is before putting him on the bottom. He is obviously one of the best characters in the game because he is the best pokemon.
Time to tear this apart.
1. Fox's laser is a good damage dealer, and besides, Fox has many other moves that make him the top character in the game.
2. The reason Kirby is terrible is quite evident if you have played in any sort of higher level than messing around w/ friends. One of his major problems is that some of Kirby's throws can be mashed out of, leaving kirby doing the animation, but without the enemy being thrown. Also, there are some nerfs that kirby's abilities compared to the original user.
3. The reason Marth's voice is in Japanese is because at that time, he hadn't appeared in a game outside of Japan. He still speaks Japanese for consistency.
4. If your going by that logic for Mewtwo, i can do the same for characters like Link, Mario, DK, and anyone else, really.

S-Ness

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crayonshinchan32

If this is not b8 and I laughed so damn hard reading this, let me speak.
It's hard to properly rank a character judging on only one tool. Fox's lasers aren't even his main tool (one of his main tool but not the main one). Have you seen the shine? Have you seen any Zelda (transforming to Sheik doesn't count) in tournament play? Watch a Melee top 8 match and tell me how is Fox.
Are you saying that Mewtwo is best Pokemon? SCREW MEWTWO WHERE IS ARCEUS
Marth is one of the biggest fan favorites in the game. Why did he make it into Smash 4?
Tell me how would it fit him if Marth spoke English.
What diplomatic powers of Zelda are you talking about here and screw her Link has all three parts of the Triforce.
Well from your opinions I guess you just play using only the B button lol

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
so getting back to the topic at hand
upload_2015-10-11_9-50-0.png

so before you start hating me for this let me explain
Link Marth and Pichu
Link: i put him a bit lower than what other people think because well... i just think that Y.link is better than mario and dk but i think link is worse than them
Marth: i don't think i have to say this but marth seems to get more results than falco
Pichu: putting him above game is debeatable but i think it works because at least pichu can L-cancel ALL of his air attacks
any dissagreements?

Top Bottom