• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008/09 NFL season/post season

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Week 2 Picks

Here are my picks for Week 2. Looks like there's going to be some great games. Especially Monday night. I went 8-7. Not good but at least over .500. Hard to believe either Minnesota or Indy will be 0-2.

Chic 17 Carolina 9
Tenn 27 Cinn 17
GB 23 Det 16
Buf 17 Jac 24
Oak 7 KC 26
Ind 23 Min 16
*** 24 STL 10
NO 33 Was 20
SF 14 Sea 17
Atl 10 TB 20
Mia 7 Arizona 26
SD 13 Den 24
Bal 16 Hou 0
NE 23 NYJ 17
Pit 30 Cle 13
Phil 23 Dal 27

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Ha, the Falcons won 34-21 against the Lions (the game was better than I thought, three touchdowns in the first quarter FTW). That goes to show you: never underestimate anybody with the title of "Falcon". And yes, I am from Georgia so that contributes to my Falcon fanboyishness.

Too bad for Tom Brady getting an injury though. :(

Peeze

Smash Master
Standings and Schedule

Here's the updated standings and next weeks schedule for picks:

Next weeks schedule:

Sun, Sep 14 Time (ET)
  • CHI @ CAR 1:00 PM Free Pick
  • TEN @ CIN 1:00 PM
  • GB @ DET 1:00 PM
  • BUF @ JAC 1:00 PM
  • OAK @ KC 1:00 PM
  • IND @ MIN 1:00 PM
  • *** @ STL 1:00 PM
  • NO @ WAS 1:00 PM
  • SF @ SEA 4:05 PM
  • ATL @ TB 4:05 PM
  • MIA @ ARI 4:15 PM
  • SD @ DEN 4:15 PM
  • BAL @ HOU 4:15 PM
  • NE @ NYJ 4:15 PM
  • PIT @ CLE 8:15 PM

Mon, Sep 15 Time (ET)
  • PHI @ DAL 8:30 PM

Edit: the "free pick" is to even up the scores since raider88, shark attack and diddy king missed a pick. You 3 dont get one :p

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Ha, the Falcons won 34-21 against the Lions (the game was better than I thought, three touchdowns in the first quarter FTW). That goes to show you: never underestimate anybody with the title of "Falcon". And yes, I am from Georgia so that contributes to my Falcon fanboyishness.

Too bad for Tom Brady getting an injury though. :(
This coming from a Lions fan :( (It's been a sad last 8 seasons for Detroit) Only a fan primarily due to Barry Sanders days.

The Falcons really did take it to the Lions. The Falcons win does and doesn't suprise me. It suprises me in the aspect of the Falcons basically being in the rebuilding process and coming out with a strong win to start 1-0. I'm not saying the Lions are a good football team but I thought they would have played much better. Last year Detroit started out 6-2 and then crashed finishing up 7-9. In the 2nd half of last year though they played the Giants, Packers twice and the Chargers. This compromised 4 games between 3 teams that made it to the either the AFC or NFC championship. They also lost to Dallas so I took some of their losses as justifiable. Then they went 4-0 preseason. Preseason doesn't mean much but at least it's better to win than lose.

The Falcons are going to be interesting to watch the next few weeks. Their win was dominate. Will they be able to do it against Tampa on the road? It's hard to say but I hope so because the NFL is awsome when talented teams go head to head. It gets soo boring watching games where receivers drop passes when they're wide open or when defense's miss perfectly should have been tackles. I've seen enough of this from the Lions already the last 8 seasons. Hopefully that loss isn't an indication of what they will be the rest of the season.

M@v

Subarashii!
Well, no doubt it makes the game more "balanced". Having a Pro Bowler go down will make any team worse. It isn't his fault he's so good, or the Patriots are so good. They're the dynasty of the 2000s, any player would love to play there, and that's why they're so great.
Yeah they are soooo great....thats why they got busted cheating last year. Thats real great in my book. Screw them. Only guy I have a lot of respect for on the patriots is teddy bruschi. Hes been through so much.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Yeah they are soooo great....thats why they got busted cheating last year. Thats real great in my book. Screw them. Only guy I have a lot of respect for on the patriots is teddy bruschi. Hes been through so much.
LOL

Do you honestly think the Patriots were the only team to ever record the other team's signals? Other coaches and players have come out and said they'd done the same, and that it's common practice in the NFL. They were caught, and were punished accordingly. They still went on to a 16-0 regular season, and to the Super Bowl. If you say they're anything but great, you're lying to yourself.

Not to mention, simply having the signals to study and learn from doesn't do much at all if the players on the field can't produce. They were caught Week 1, and they still went on to dominate the entire season and nearly all of their opponents.

I'm not even a Pats fan, but it's so annoying to see people trying to belittle the Patriots and all their accomplishments. :embarrass

This interview is from former Coach Jimmy Johnson, and really sheds a ton of light on the whole situation. But then again, he's just a former Super Bowl winning NFL Coach...and you're a poster on Smashboards...

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/?p=2202&srvc=home&position=recent

XACE-K

Smash Master

Sun, Sep 14 Time (ET)
  • CHI @ CAR 1:00 PM
  • TEN @ CIN 1:00 PM
  • GB @ DET 1:00 PM
  • BUF @ JAC 1:00 PM
  • OAK @ KC 1:00 PM
  • IND @ MIN 1:00 PM
  • *** @ STL 1:00 PM
  • NO @ WAS 1:00 PM
  • SF @ SEA 4:05 PM
  • ATL @ TB 4:05 PM
  • MIA @ ARI 4:15 PM
  • SD @ DEN 4:15 PM
  • BAL @ HOU 4:15 PM
  • NE @ NYJ 4:15 PM
  • PIT @ CLE 8:15 PM

• Mon, Sep 15 Time (ET)​
  • PHI @ DAL 8:30 PM
I don't think I skipped a pick but whatever. Anyway, my picks.

Chicago (Free Pick)
Cincinnati
Green Bay
Jacksonville
Kansas City
Indiannapolis
Giants
Washington
Seattle
Tampa Bay
Arizona
San Diego
Baltimore
New York
Cleveland
Dallas

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
I like this idea. I just hope my Jets make the playoffs. Anyway, my picks

Giants
Falcons
Ravens
Seahawks
Jets
Patriots
Bucs
Eagles
Steelers
Jaguars
Cowboys
Chargers
49ers (lol)
Colts
Packers
Broncos
Yeah, Peeze you must have made a mistake. He didn't skip a pick.

Anyway, so is this the week the rest of us skip a pick? Or can we do that at any point down the line?

Here are mine (click the picture for a larger size if you can't see the picks clearly):

XACE-K

Smash Master
Anyway, so is this the week the rest of us skip a pick? Or can we do that at any point down the line?
If we do skip this week, than I skip my Carolina-Chicago pick. I'm 50-50 on who will win.

Also, I checked my picks and I'm really 10-6. I didn't skip a pick.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
My Picks:

New Orleans
Carolina
Green Bay
Buffalo
Kansas City
New York Giants
Indianapolis
Tennessee
Seattle
Tampa Bay
San Diego
Baltimore
New England =\
Miami
Pittsburgh
Dallas

~rh

Smash Lord
Me and my friends saw a news paper with Tom Brady rolling on the grass and someone wrote "LOL" above it.

It was a little funny... but I feel bad for the guy now.

Peeze

Smash Master
If we do skip this week, than I skip my Carolina-Chicago pick. I'm 50-50 on who will win.

Also, I checked my picks and I'm really 10-6. I didn't skip a pick.
Whoops. I updated it thanks for checking that.
Yeah i guess we can skip a pick this week, or if you want to use it down the line just say "free pick" or something like that. except of course diddy king, shark attack and raider88(who really skipped a pick). I think i'll use mine for the chi-car game too.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Whoops. I updated it thanks for checking that.
Yeah i guess we can skip a pick this week, or if you want to use it down the line just say "free pick" or something like that. except of course diddy king, shark attack and raider88(who really skipped a pick). I think i'll use mine for the chi-car game too.
Ok, I'll update my picks right now.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
Panthers
Titans
Packers
Bills
Raiders
(free pick on Colts-Vikings)
Giants
Saints
49ers
Bucs
Cardinals
Broncos
Texans
Patriots
Steelers
Eagles

i'm picking a lot of upsets :ohwell:

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
I'm really interested in seeing if Matt Forte continues to produce. His debut was stunning for a rookie. Over 100 yards and a TD to boot. Of course, there is Adrian Peterson, as well. Those two are probably my two favorite players currently (it probably helps they're both on my Fantasy Team).

It's ironic, the two players I'm most interested in are in the same division as the Packers (my favorite team). Such is life. :pimp:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Chicago over Carolina
Indy over Minny
Giants over Rams
Packers over Lions
Chiefs over Raiders
Bills over Jags
Titans over Bengals
Saints over Skins
Falcons over Bucs
49ers over Seahawks
Jets over Pats
Cardinals over Dolphins
Broncos over Chargers
Ravens over Texans
Browns over Steelers
Cowboys over Eagles

Hopefully this turns out better than last weeks picks.

Peeze

Smash Master
Proud Smash Noob, you had no picks for week 1, so i averaged it out, and your record is 8-8, which is good.
Which you know, we're not winning anything anyways, so thats good enough. Unless we can somehow convince the mods to give winner premie status for a week, or name change or something like that.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Proud Smash Noob, you had no picks for week 1, so i averaged it out, and your record is 8-8, which is good.
Which you know, we're not winning anything anyways, so thats good enough. Unless we can somehow convince the mods to give winner premie status for a week, or name change or something like that.
Well I joined this because it sounded like fun. If there is a prize, that would be cool but it doesn't matter if there is or not.

Peeze

Smash Master
Yeah i know, im just gonna see if we can get like an added bonus, i might put 2gether an elaborate request in a PM for maybe like a little football by our name, like how writers have pens. Our maybe a custom title. idk, if not oh well.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
Hmm do i just post all the teams i suspect to win today ? If so then here i go .

Washington vs New Orleans (New Orleans)
Carolina vs Chicago (Chicago)
Green Bay vs Detroit (Green bay)
Jacksonville vs Buffalo (Buffalo )
Kansas City vs Oakland (KC)
New York (***) vs St. Louis (***)
Indianapolis vs Minnesota (Minnesota)
Cincinnati vs Tennessee ( Tennessee)
Seattle vs San Francisco (Sf)
Tampa Bay vs Atlanta (Atlanta)
San Diego vs Denver (Denver)
New York (NYJ) vs New England (NYJ)
Arizona vs Miami (Arizona)
Pittsburgh vs Cleveland (Pit)
Dallas vs Philadelphia (Dallas)

Hey_its_YO

Smash Lord
MRK head quarters my house SilverSpring MD
Washington vs New Orleans (New Orleans)
Carolina vs Chicago (Chicago)
Green Bay vs Detroit (Green bay)
Jacksonville vs Buffalo (Buffalo )
Kansas City vs Oakland (KC)
New York (***) vs St. Louis (***)
Indianapolis vs Minnesota (Indianapolis)
Cincinnati vs Tennessee ( Tennessee)
Seattle vs San Francisco (SanFransico)
Tampa Bay vs Atlanta (Atlanta)
San Diego vs Denver (San Diego)
New York (NYJ) vs New England (New England)
Arizona vs Miami (Arizona)
Pittsburgh vs Cleveland (Pit)
Dallas vs Philadelphia (Dallas)

XACE-K

Smash Master
Cincinnati
Green Bay
Jacksonville
Kansas City
Indiannapolis
Giants
Washington
Seattle
Tampa Bay
Arizona
San Diego
New York
6-6 so far this week. Doesn't look good considering who some of the teams I got wrong lost to.

Curse you Tom Brady-less Patriots.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
7-6 with my pick being thrown away, and with the Hou/Bal game being delayed.

I have Dallas winning tomorrow.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I can't believe the 49ers scored 33 points in a game. That's more than we would score in a month last season.

And ouch at the Dolphins. I really thought they were on their way to improvement this year.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
mmm
9-5 not to shabby

picks for week 3
Kansas City
Buffalo
Tampa Bay
Carolina
New England
New York Giants
Tennessee
Washington
Denver
San Francisco
Seattle
Cleveland
Indianapolis
Philadelphia
Dallas
San Diego

JLynn943

Smash Ace
Vikings get my hopes up and bam shatter them.
they've had two very tough losses, but the Packers have a very difficult schedule this year (5 of their next 6 are against playoff teams from last year), and I don't know if the Bears are for real, so they'll have a good opportunity at winning the division still (coming from a Packers fan)

JLynn943

Smash Ace
i think thats pretty much just because the Packers have the Vikings on their schedule twice, while the Vikings have the Packers on theirs twice and the Packers had a better record last year

I checked their schedules, and, other than that, they're basically the same, so yeah, I guess the Vikings do have a tough schedule to overcome, too

still, there are a lot of games left. no reason to be down on them yet

Top Bottom