• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.6 Falcon

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
I can't put my finger on it all, but 2.6 Falcon feels smoother and closer to Melee than ever before. I'm sure you guys have noticed something with moonwalking and Nair... Falcon is close to glory I can feel it.

How do you think Falcon is holding up as a character, as the game marches forward and other characters are getting attention? Is he falling behind the Ivysaurs and Lucas' of the game?
Use the Melee SFX mod in the customized content section and it feels EVEN closer :)

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Falcon is trash against puff and sheik...I guess Falco as well. He is supposed to stuggle against Fox, but Hax makes that MU look easy....He's just looking fo a seconday that would make his tourney life a lot easier...I am indifferent about this.

MVP

Smash Ace
Falcon is trash against puff and sheik...I guess Falco as well. He is supposed to stuggle against Fox, but Hax makes that MU look easy....He's just looking fo a seconday that would make his tourney life a lot easier...I am indifferent about this.

IMO falcon has a decent MU vs shiek.

i haven't decided what i think about puff yet

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
NOOOO! Oh, well...How do you feel about falcon in project m?

Falcon kick op, Side b helps recovery. hes probably better than melee but brawl characters like ivysaur and Metaknight don't make him better throughout the whole game. Melee falcon has better moonwalk wavedash and movement in general. meleee falcon feels better.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Strawhat when are you going to get some more Falcon videos up on youtube brah?! I love watching your matches
Never, dude. I was going to go to Whobo, but nursing exams have more priority. I need the weekend to study.

With much sadness, Im resigning myself from Falcon. I love Falcon in melee, but his prescence in project m seems fake to me. It's like a pseudofalcon. He's almost there, but the environment that project m brings forward makes me feel like falcon wont be able to keep up as the project m metagame develops. You have to play falcon so conservatively in project m where in Melee his rush down game was excellent. I dont know. Maybe it's just my lack of skill as a player, but Im going to leave Falcon in the hands of DMG, FUZZ, Wizzrobe,kman, and others from now on.

I'll be maining Roy and Samus in project m when they come out. Falcon is fun as ****, but Ill just be using him in friendlies from now on. :p

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
But Strawhat, you're probably also going to have to play both of those other characters just as conservatively. If Roy's recovery is going to be anything close to his Melee counterpart, it's going to be terrible.

Samus probably goes without saying.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
But Strawhat, you're probably also going to have to play both of those other characters just as conservatively. If Roy's recovery is going to be anything close to his Melee counterpart, it's going to be terrible.

Samus probably goes without saying.
I'm fine with playing those characters in that manner because that's how they are intended to play, in a conservative manner...Sure, as Falcon, you usually use speed to bait out attacks and decide when to go in, but project m forces falcon to play in such a conservative manner that I deem unfit for a man as manly as falcon...I'm done johning for myself, though. I really hope that somone takes Falcon to a really high level.

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's whoever you want to play man. If the environment changes, or you ever miss your fancy flaming compatriots, we'll still be here, repping our sweet combos into the great yonder.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falcon is fine against Sheik and Puff.
You crazay livin in teh 80's
What does fine mean? Because Sheik is still a losing MU

Strawhat: I gotcha man. It's rough with Falcon in PM, too many new short janky characters.

TripleOG

Smash Rookie
Coming from someone who mains Falcon in both melee and pm regularly, imo he definitely feels different between the games. Despite the changes to his specials in PM, he feels weaker in that game for me and more fun in melee overall.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
There is no doubt that falcons movement in melee is a lot smoother...but, I'm sure this doesn't go unnoticed by the pmbr...they're trying the best they can and all we can do is remIn patient. The golden version of project m will be amazing. I can't wait for that to get here so that the "official metagame" can blossom.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Strawhat you dog, I SEE YOU doing good at Whobo. The beast hath returned

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Strawhat, your falcon gives me nightmares. When I close my eyes, all I see are knees.

Our friendlies (although it was more like you murdering my poor Zelda over and over again) made me develop PTSD.

Whenever I hear the phrase "YES!", I have to hide in fear of the Thunder Thighs.

Just sayin', your falcon is freaking amazing. I'd hate to see you drop him because he is just so beautiful. Use him as a secondary if you feel like you need to, but it would be a shame to see my favorite captain falcon player ever give him up.

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
How is it possible to main two characters as different as Roy and Samus? I cant even pick up a secondary with any success, because whenever I play as anyone except Falcon I suck, get discouraged, and go back to playing Falcon, and that includes characters that have a similar style.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
It just takes discipline. Discovering new combos witj different characters is what males this game so much fun. Also, I have never used another character in tournament before. I want to see how far my skill as a player takes me.

Thanks blondie! Your words really cheered me up! I felt like **** after getting destroyed by Denti and M2k. Im not going to abandon falcon, but I want to see how far I can go with Roy. He was my favorite in melee, but he did not have the tools to keep up. Will give shoutouts in results thread

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Second what blondie said. The only way the nightmare became somewhat manageable in doubles was nanner spam/janky gimps. Scary consistent on your followups and just plain pretty to watch.

Fortress

Smash Master
How is it possible to main two characters as different as Roy and Samus? I cant even pick up a secondary with any success, because whenever I play as anyone except Falcon I suck, get discouraged, and go back to playing Falcon, and that includes characters that have a similar style.
You'll get people who say you 'can't' have two 'mains', people who say you can, and whatever in between, but it just takes some focus and practice. The three characters I tend to bounce around are Mario, Link, and Luigi. I know a little bit how to play others as well, like Lucario and Wario, but I've put hours, upon hours, upon days, upon months of time into Mario, Link, and Luigi individually.

I think the secret is, in a large part, dedication. If you find yourself hopping from character to character without really sticking with them, you're never going to find the tricks, the nuances, the ins-and-outs that you're going to need to succeed outside of your comfort zone. Going from Mario to Luigi was such a huge and drastic change for me, that I felt the same way you do outside of Falcon; I dropped it, I quit, I couldn't take how slow and floaty he was. But, then, I decided to start watching some games, reading up on his character, and I began to improve. Learning the Wavedash for Weegee improved my game for Link and Mario as well, just like learning L-cancelling early on with Link helped with Mario and Luigi.

What I'm getting at, is just take what you know with Falcon, and try to apply it to character that you didn't even think his skillset could glean anything from. Try to push your boundaries, and get outside of your comfort zone. Spend some time doing nothing but watching and reading about not only Falcon, your main, but a character that you might be interested with. Heck, give Ganondorf a try; I'm sure it's come across your mind or been suggested before. The movesets will be similar enough, but the playstyle will be so drastically different that you'll go through an experience adjusting to that. Like I said, try spending time out of the game learning about the game, and whatever you do, don't quit.

Don't bounce around, character to character to character; if you don't stick with it, you're not going to find something that you can play comfortably with. That's what my roommate's friend has trouble with; he'd come in, switch characters every day, and complain every time that my two roommates and myself always outskilled and outperformed him, even though he played roughly the same amount of time as the others.

I've made this wall of text too big as it is, so I'll sum it up: blah, blah, blah. Something, something, dedication, blah. Just get into a groove with a character, and stick with them. I promise you'll do a lot better if you just stick with it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I deed some Falcon in PM, got some seals of approval, but some MU's also seem real hard. I don't want to main him in PM anymore: I'm too far into Marth and Fox at this point.

Fortress

Smash Master
I want to start Falcon at some point, but I can't even do moonwalking with Mario and Weegee, so I feel like I'll be a step behind, and that other Falcons will just have a knee up on me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Squirtle is a perfectly fine MU I think. It just requires you to not run around throwing attacks like a jack-ass (most MU's require this and it's hard sometimes to adhere to it. See me vs Oracle as Falcon to give you an idea of "when keeping it real goes wrong")

I'm not necessarily quitting Falcon, but I'm a sad man with the realization that I am doing 5x better with Marth and Fox that it doesn't seem worth it to put the effort into being on point with Falcon.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Haha, Blondie. I could not get a hold on ivy at whobo. :( Denti2gud? I'm not dropping falcon anymore. He's too much fun. I'll just carry two primary characters with different fighting styles... Squirtle is crazy dude to fight...don't take him to a long stage...even if it cuts some of falcons mpvenent, you don't want squirtle all over the place. bwett is solo good at abusing squirtle's mobility. Don't even get me started on burnsy.

Tl;Dr short stage/don't fall for squirtle withdraw tricks.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
M
I want to start Falcon at some point, but I can't even do moonwalking with Mario and Weegee, so I feel like I'll be a step behind, and that other Falcons will just have a knee up on me.
moonwalking should be the least of your concerns, tbh. Get your tech skill down. Practice your movement on different stages, too. You should try comboing fatties/floaties on FD in training mode. Off the top of my head, bowser and DK are pretty good punching bags. Try this on them: raptor boost 2x, sh Nair,uthrow, u air, knee. This is just off the top of my head :p

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
I'm sadly giving up on maining the Falcon as well. I still love him and will use him as a secondary, but it's frustrating spending all my practice time with him then playing better with Mario, Metaknight and Sheik :/

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
All these people dropping Falcon :c. I'm personally never quitting Falcon. I'd quit smash before quitting Falcon :seuss:.

Also I suck with everyone else

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
So Hax did ridiculously well at BH3, then decided to quit pm and drop out of the tournament. That's unfortunate and odd...

Top Bottom