• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2/22/09 Hamden, CT Smash Sundays 8/ APSA Fundraiser

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Hi Everyone. For our 8th installment of Smash Sundays we are teaming up with a local Quinnipiac sponsored club for a fundraiser. The club is APSA (Asian Pacific-islanders student association.) We will be playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It will be at Quinnipiac University and you will NEED TO BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER. The event will start at 12 and we will be playing there during and after the tournament well into the night. We have the room booked till midnight so if you want to stay and play after, you are more then welcome to. Tickets will be 5$ for singles, and 10$ for teams.

There is a facebook group http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=50227373429&ref

Location/Time

When: Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm
Where: Quinnipiac University (275 Mount Carmel av. Hamden, CT 06518)
It will be located in the school of business in Mancheski conference room (the building with the glass dome on it.)

We will be selling tickets in the weeks prior to the event as well as at the door.

RULES:

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match if desired

Stages

Starter Stages will be:

1. Final Destination
2. Smashville
3. Battlefield
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Lylat Cruise

Counterpick stages will be:

1. Castle Siege
2. Halberd
3. Delfino
4. Pokémon Stadium 1
5. Brinstar
6. Corneria
7. Distant Planet
8. Frigate Orpheon
9. Green Greens
10. Jungle Japes
11. Norfair
12. Pictochat
13. Pirate Ship
14. Rainbow Cruise

All characters and strategies are viable (unless you’re just trying to waste time. The specific time wasting strategies I’m referring to can be looked up at smashboards.com as well any we will be mostly following the recommended rules from smashboards. The smashboards rules can be found here ). We will run 2/3 three stock matches, with an 8 minute time maximum time limit. Final matches of winners and losers brackets will be a best of 5.

This is open to anyone, not just QU students, bring your friends, family, co-workers etc.
Bring your own controllers

Some refreshments will be served. First come first served

Prizes
Winner of singles will receive a 60$ Best Buy gift card.
2nd Place will receive a 30$ Best Buy gift card.
Winners of doubles will receive a 80$ Best Buy gift card.

Contact

If you have any questions/comments send a text to Jason (203) 298-8454 or you can contact his AIM at anhstinx or you can e-mail him at Jason.Croog@quinnipiac.edu

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Icy... I don't know how to tell you this... but I think I'm going to have to take you down this time. And since this time it's a Quinnipiac event as well... well... a QU student like myself will just have to come out on top

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Icy... I don't know how to tell you this... but I think I'm going to have to take you down this time. And since this time it's a Quinnipiac event as well... well... a QU student like myself will just have to come out on top
those are fighting words! maybe noodles will take you out by the time you make it to me again =]

DotHack

Smash Apprentice
I hope you can make it too! I'm trying to figure out if I need more wii's and games. I just might...
If I end up showing too, then I'll bring my Wii + Brawl. Maybe you'll like my samus's improvement. I've been changing up my play style alot.

Also, Icy, DKC MM bish. =]

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
If I end up showing too, then I'll bring my Wii + Brawl. Maybe you'll like my samus's improvement. I've been changing up my play style alot.

Also, Icy, DKC MM bish. =]
Yo, your Samus was so fun. I was playing around as her a bit. I run against my friends peach and just ruin peach's floaty approach. All inspired by that Z-air.

noodles

Smash Champion
wait so is winner of doubles getting a card each? im not trying to sound greedy but i cant make out the prizes

DotHack

Smash Apprentice
wait so is winner of doubles getting a card each? im not trying to sound greedy but i cant make out the prizes
Noodles you're a greedy bastage. xD Wanna MK ditto MM? =D

joking of course.

"Winners of doubles will receive a 80$ Best Buy gift card. " - I'd assume that means a 80 for you both to split somehow. >_> Or a 40 each?

Also, Croog. Be prepared for the broilers new uses. =]

TeeVee

Smash Lord
noodles and icy, any luck on finding a venue? what about the one that 'reapers game' was at?

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I'll talk to the head of APSA tomorrow/today and find out. I'll try to make it 2x 40$ gift cards, because that would seems to be the easiest way to do things.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i might be hosting one in Vernon, CT at the battle grounds...gonna go talk to Mike see if he will let me host a monthly. Won't be happening till around Spring/Summer time when i get a car >_>

IcyLight

Smash Lord
hell yeah im going. you got a ride or am i picking you up? i need to know for direction-wise

hey, i have a new secondary i'm working on. it's difficult but i'm getting there =]

noodles

Smash Champion
oh, i thought you werent gunna be able to drive down from the post above me. ill ask my mom but i may need a ride

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
hell yeah im going. you got a ride or am i picking you up? i need to know for direction-wise

hey, i have a new secondary i'm working on. it's difficult but i'm getting there =]
Who's your new secondary... I have so many potentials... I just can't choose between them... I'm stuck between like 5 chars

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
***********************UPDATE************************************
So, just so everyone knows we have approximately 40-ish people reserved so far. I think like 30+ signed up on the facebook event thing, and we have quite a few people from here. So I'm going to estimate around 50-60 total depending on weather.

Speaking on the topic of weather, the forecast is calling for snow on thie Sunday. So just be prepared to have to leave early if the snow starts in the morning. Unlike most Smash Sundays where we are really lax on times, we want everyone there and registered by 12 to 12:30 ish.

We will most likely be running doubles first. Also you can stay as pretty much as long as you want. We have this place booked from noon until midnight. Seeing as there should be quite a few kids that live on campus that gives us plenty of time for casuals and possibly money matches B4 and after the tourney .

I can't wait to see you all there. My goal this time around is to beat Icy and Noodles. You 2 are going down by my hands (hopefully). See you all there :)

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i'll mm you noodles it will be QUITE interesting. eh? considering we are what....last stock 180% every match? xD

noodles

Smash Champion
i really dont like MM people from ct. if you guys really want to its w/e

TeeVee

Smash Lord
I'll come and win this tourny if I get a good partner.

...and by win, i'm talking about singles

Lockdown106

Smash Rookie
Finally, there will be good competition coming to this school.

Roberto and I have been training together, and will be doing doubles together as well. Let's see if I can't win my second APSA tournament in a row.

I'm so excited to meet more people from the community.

Look for #131, say hi if you see me.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Finally, there will be good competition coming to this school.

Roberto and I have been training together, and will be doing doubles together as well. Let's see if I can't win my second APSA tournament in a row.

I'm so excited to meet more people from the community.

Look for #131, say hi if you see me.
Well Nick, we'll see how you do. There's been some decent comp at the school, you just never come play with us. We play all the time (too much actually) Best of luck to you though, Roberto said you were pretty good. We'll see how you do :D

Jbell

Smash Rookie
Word on the street is this 131 kid gets his *** beat by me on a daily basis

noodles

Smash Champion
icy and tom, what are the condtions to the mm's. icy im assuming rob vs olimar or snake vs mystery character. tom, im not doing mk dittoes lol. especially since i havent been using him

Top Bottom