• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

KURiSUTARU

Smash Rookie
Generally, playing against other people is best, but watching videos on Youtube and playing against level 9 computers could work. You won't be as good as people who had real playtime against others, but it's better than nothing. Try reading up on some techniques then try using them in training mode.

Good luck.

theperson91

Smash Apprentice
i actually wouldnt advise training against lvs 9s. if u play them too much ull pick up bad habits due to the fact that they all do the same things over and over again.

gfxdragongod

Smash Rookie
Personally, I train online. Its nice fighting different characters and tons of different styles. Really look at what you're doing wrong and try and fix it. I personally main Link and I'm really getting annoyed of edge guarders so I'm trying to find anything I can do to get around it.

I Go on gamefaqs.com so I can get a new battle at any time =D
I love wifi =)

D

Deleted member

Sir Auron

Smash Cadet
Well, If you really wanna get good, play with a variety of people. Com's really don't help you that much in my oppinion. When playing with other people, its not the same game, they all have different styles, attack methods, etc. If your in a bind where you can't play people, try out the Multi-Man Brawls....that's how I train.

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
Beat the cpu on cruel brawl? Or just fight lvl 9's. I also lack people to play against most of the time

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
it depends what you mean by good, if you want to be able to stomp the common noob, then just train urself against comps and online, its not like ur bad habbits will matter.

If you want to be good as in competitive play where you'll actually be able to compete. well watch some vids, learn the techs (what few there are) and more important than anything else, play other people, preferably people who are better than you.

Remember Rule Number 1. You Can only get smarter by playing a Smarter Opponent.

The Id

Smash Rookie
The CPU's can either not help at all, or improve certain aspects of your game. I know for certain that after playing a couple of level 9 games with like 6 characters that I now use regularly, I've nailed down combos and I've become much quicker with my reaction time. I can standing dodge like a ninja now because of my continuous exposure to lvl 9s.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Get some people's FCs on here. And go online more. Seriously, Shaman's line about getting smarter by playing a smarter opponent is right on. It's a pretty low chance that you'll find an intelligent player on With Anyone, but With Friends is always a nice option.

Also, playing against other people--be it in tournaments or friendlies--is always helpful too. Get involved in your local community :)

If you cannot play with too many people and must use your own self, train your general technique against coms levels 1-3. Multi-man brawls also work, but don't abuse the items. Note youtube players and the posts on this site as well.

Dragonoise

Smash Apprentice
Training against actual players is definitely the way to go. You get a good range that way. Try to mix it up and don't let your moves become too predictable.

Also, don't become too accustomed to custom rules--expose yourself to everything so you'll be ready for anything. Uhn, that's all I have to say, I guess.

D

Deleted member

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Drop Falcon and play against people that are better then you.

timed FFA w/items and play against computers is not going to make you any better.

Z O S O

Smash Cadet
Whatever you do, do not fight level 9 computers. Definetly not... You'll pick up bad habits fighting them. I can't fight people on the wifi often either (I try to though). When I can't fight people online, I will fight level 3 computers, not 3 at a time, just one. You can experiement different techniques and you won't pick up bad habits fighting them. I also watch alot of videos on youtube, pick up techniques there by watching what is working and what isn't working for people on the character you are training. Test those techniques out in training mode and than work them into your game fighting level 3 computers. I find this an effective way to get better.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Play 5+ hours a day against many different good or better than you human opponents....should suffice.

CPU is a nono for training...unless you're using the char for the first time and don't know like what his moves are.

soresu

Smash Rookie
Play the same person over and over and try to learn their habits. Exploit them.

Smash Journeyman
I learn how to counter certain moves using training mode and set the opponent's to level 7. For countering strategies you'll have to do that in battle.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
I say get some freinds together and play them but your freinds should be really good or you could vs 3 level 9's against you in a handicap team match
Friends, yes. level 9 computers, no. You're just training yourself improperly.

Don't ever seriously train against computers. If anything, pick a low level and practice, but don't get used to countering computers. They don't behave like people.

khepri

Smash Lord
All these noobs are wrong, never play a level 9 for anything more than just having fun. Play a level 1 and just practice moving around as fluidly as you can, try finding moves that chain into another move, combos essentially (though there aren't very extended ones in brawl), and figure out the best throws and so on. You can only really gain tech skill in practicing with computers. You have learn how to solidify your mindgames through playing human competitors whenever you can, which will be better once you can move around fluidly with your character(s).

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Well if you talking about capable combos practice, training mode, from there a low cpu, then gradually get higher to level 9 (if people are new to the franchise(seems impossible, but some people might have never heard of it) then that could improve you in some aspects, but not all, I would advice going against friends online or something(not online, apparently it's mostly full of noobs, apart from that one guy, we all know there a "one guy") I say computers might be tough at first, but they have super reflexes, and just do things predictable, most people aren't predictable!

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Well if you talking about capable combos practice, training mode, from there a low cpu, then gradually get higher to level 9 (if people are new to the franchise(seems impossible, but some people might have never heard of it) then that could improve you in some aspects, but not all, I would advice going against friends online or something(not online, apparently it's mostly full of noobs, apart from that one guy, we all know there a "one guy") I say computers might be tough at first, but they have super reflexes, and just do things predictable, most people aren't predictable!
dude, read the two posts above you.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Play. Just... play. that's all I do and though I'm no expert, I can hold my own against a fair share of players.

katonjutsu

Smash Cadet
- Make it top priority to get FCs of people in your state. Online play is 2nd best to getting better rather than going to tournaments(especially if you're unable). The lag is workable and isn't as horrific as some people make it out to be =/(unless someone's torrenting in the middle of a battle, hahaha).

- 3-stock, no item, no banned stages practice and try out different characters to suit your style.

- Please don't be another Meta Knight main. -_-

Top Bottom