• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10 MORE YEARS (Dream World Ubers RMT)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So as much as I love Ubers and as much as it's infinitely better than your favorite format, I have to admit that there are some jarring changes in Gen V that make what was previously thought to be impossible as true as day.

Stall is now viable in Ubers.

As shocking as that may seem to you, I assure you that it is true. Calm Mind Arceus are everywhere, WoWing and then boosting up to win stall battles. Evolution Stone Chansey is bulkier than Blissey ever was and can shrug off any Draco Meteor like it's nothing. Nattorei can't set up T.Spikes or spin like Forry, but just about everything else about him is far better. Yes, stall is out in full force in Ubers, so I decided to try out a stall team on an alt of mine. I peaked at about 12th on Smogon's DW Ubers ladder.

Without further deliberation, here is the team.

Hey so since there are a ton of really good weather users in Ubers should you have one on your team?

Storm (Kyogre) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Boil Over
- Roar

Resttalk Kyogre, my weather user, phazer, and one of my special walls. This guy is a great tank. He does a great job of spreading status and doing damage through Boil Over. He also doesn't need any SpA investment since Boil Over in rain 2HKOs a lot of things that are neutral to it (notably Forry). His bulk is such that he survives a lot of things that he really shouldn't. Not much else to say about him really. If you played Gen IV Ubers at all, you know how much of a threat Kyogre is no matter what set it's running. This set is no exception.

Hey so since this is a stall team it should probably use some entry hazards right and probably have a way to deal with entry hazards too and since you have Kyogre on your team it might as well be able to abuse the rain in some way?

ShumaGorath (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef / 4 Spe
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat
- Surf

Mirror Coat Tentacruel was something that I started using in late Gen IV, and it was beautiful. It was able to get rid of Toxic Spikes just by entering play, set up T.Spikes of his own, survive a ton of stuff it shouldn't have (Timid Full Health Specs Kyogre Water Spout in rain, Scarf Palkia Thunder, etc.) and OHKO back with Mirror Coat...and that was only with 120 SpD! Back then he functioned like a Forretress and Wobbuffet combined, and with Rain Dish he's even better. Once this guy gets going, he can be hard for my opponent to kill without a Groudon, and if he gets time to set up they won't have a Groudon for long anyway. HP and SpD are close to max to maximize the number of special attacks he can take. 4 Spe is for other base 100s with no speed investment.

Hey so Tentacruel is pretty awesome but Toxic Spikes is only one entry hazard out of like a bunch wouldn't it be best if you had some more entry hazards here and maybe also an electric and grass resistance?

Sentinel (Nattorei) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
IVs: 9 Spe
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

You probably saw it coming, but Nattorei and Tentacruel have great defensive synergy. With rain support they can wall almost every type besides Ground and Flying and set up every entry hazard known to man. Everyone here seems to love Nattorei so I won't say much more on it. The IVs are designed to make sure that anything higher than 288 speed (which is just about everything besides Groudon) is hit by Gyro Ball for max power. Thunder Wave is because sometimes parahax is good against stuff like Lati@s and Palkia.

Hey so what you have right now is pretty cool but I noticed you don't really have a physical wall isn't that kind of important to a stall team especially now that Ho-Oh and Zekrom are on the rise in usage also you should put Arceus on your team he's soooo coool?

TonyStarkeus (Arceus-Steel) @ Iron Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 152 SDef / 20 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Spacial Rend

I built this set in a cave. With a box of scraps. And then I did a writeup on it. You can read it here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11760249&postcount=679

Hey so if you have a ton of entry hazards shouldn't you have a spinblocker handy so that you don't get ***** by Forry also all of your pokemon seem pretty slow except for Arceus and I guess Tentacruel is sorta fast but still not fast enough to deal with Lati@s or Mewtwo a priority user would really help you out here oh and something with STAB Dragon attacks would be good since almost every major threat is weak or neutral to that?

Magneto (Giratina-O) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 Atk / 64 SAtk / 196 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Claw
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Standard Giratina-O. Fits this team like a glove actually. I honestly can't think of anything who could fill all the roles G-O does as well as G-O does. Hasty actually gives him reasonable physical bulk so that he can come in on resisted physical attacks without too much trouble. He also doesn't take that much from Roopushin Payback (yeah, people are actually using Roopushin in the format with the most powerful psychic and flying special attackers of all time, wtf?).

Hey so what you have right here is a solid team overall but you only have 5 pokemon and even with Giratina-O you don't really have a good revenge killer at all you could also use another phazer or something that can punish boosting sweepers really well and has type coverage that allows you to either resist all the major threats in the metagame or kill them outright so what one single pokemon would allow you to do all those things in one it just seems nearly impossible I have no idea what you could possibly run in this spot to help your team out more what could it possible be?

Cable (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Eccentric
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Transform

Eccentric Ditto is like the easy button of team building. Whenever I've had an open spot on my team and I needed something to put there, Eccentric Ditto has always worked well there. Ditto can do pretty much anything I need him to do because he can just come in on whatever, outspeed it, and do what it needs to do. It's really dumb but it works so well. One particularly fun thing to do is to bring it in on a Ghost Arceus who's about to use Shadow Claw/Force on Giratina-O. Ditto will transform into a normal-type Arceus since he's not holding a plate, outspeed, not get killed by priority Extremespeed, and OHKO back with whatever STAB move the Ghost Arceus had.

That's my team. It may or may not be a team that I'll use in Uber Cup II.

Discuss.

Sentinel for MvC3.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hey so I feel like your team could use something like Tail Glow or even Calm Mind Manaphy because you have a Kyogre?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Hey so Manaphy actually doesn't help the stall part of this team at all really and gets revenge killed by Ditto or weather users.

You need to think about winning the weather war before you can think about having something like Manaphy on your team.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hey so I guess Riddle knows infinitely more about Ubers than everyone else here that isn't Gates?

Riddle

Smash Lord
>was not trying to imply that

I just don't rate teams well without being able to talk to them about it.

Riddle

Smash Lord
It's basically true though.

Anyway, just PM me. I don't use AIM anymore and I don't friend people I haven't met irl on facebook.
oh ****, you unfriended me on facebook :o.

fineeeeeeeeee ill PM you when i get around to it

Riddle

Smash Lord
Many of the attackers in ubers are special. Especially in many of the types Natty resists. Electric, Water, and Dragon come to mind.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
What about Steel Type?
Fire attacks wont be doing too much and the best options you have are either EQ(most notable Groudon) and Fighting(roughly any special atkers).

If Kyogre isn't dead that arceus is going to run over you.

So i guess thats the answer. Kyogre's roar.

Forretress didn't get 3HKO'd by Giratino-O's HP Fire when I came across that situation..other answers?

And Hazards kind of poop on you...

Gates

Banned via Warnings
What about Steel Type?
I bring in my own Arceus, WoW it and win the stall battle.

Forretress didn't get 3HKO'd by Giratino-O's HP Fire when I came across that situation..other answers?
[Kyogre] also doesn't need any SpA investment since Boil Over in rain 2HKOs a lot of things that are neutral to it (notably Forry).
And Hazards kind of poop on you...
Tentacruel takes care of T.Spikes, which is the most relevant hazard 90% of the time.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Why wouldn't Groudon switch into Kyogre Boil Over? With a reasonable amount of HP and SpD EVs, Boil over in the sun won't do that much.

As for dealing with Groudon in general, Giratina-O is probably the best option if they don't pack Dragon Claw and a status move. Ditto is good at revenge killing after RP Groudon gets a boost, and it's just good in general to bring in against Groudon. Tentacruel Ice Beam works too but it isn't as good as the other solutions for obvious reasons.

If WoW misses, just WoW again. If you're talking about when the enemy Arceus would be at like +4 or higher already, I'd send in Ditto, not Arceus.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
he's got nattorei and tentacruel to help deal with specsogre

it's going to take prediction but he can do it, if he comes in on the right move, he can beat specsogre

his team isn't weak to specsogre, it's just kyogre is a monster to deal with

Riddle

Smash Lord
Nah m4f youre wrong lol. Specsogre outspeeds Natty and Tentacruel and 2HKOs with water spout. They don't work at all as counters.

His team is weak to specsogre.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
he has a lot of checks to kyogre

he can play around kyogre, it's just a pain in the ***

Riddle

Smash Lord
Every single pokemon on his team is either slower and 2HKOd or OHKOd by specs ogre water spout except Ditto who is faster and 2HKOd. Essentially every time Kyogre comes in it should be getting a kill.

Fortunately for Gates it has some trouble coming in, but it can switch into Tentacruel or Kyogre fairly well and then proceed to ****.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Wtf is your answer to specs ogre?
All damage calcs in rain.

252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre (87.5% HP) Water Spout vs. 248/248 Calm Tentacruel : 171 - 201 47.1% - 55.4%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Surf vs. 248/248 Calm Tentacruel : 123 - 145 33.9% - 39.9%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 248/248 Calm Tentacruel : 55 - 65 15.2% - 17.9%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Thunder vs. 248/248 Calm Tentacruel : 278 - 328 76.6% - 90.4%

Tentacruel used Mirror Coat

252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre (87.5% HP) Water Spout vs. 252/120 Timid Leftovers Kyogre : 183 - 216 45.3% - 53.5%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Surf vs. 252/120 Timid Leftovers Kyogre : 131 - 155 32.4% - 38.4%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252/120 Timid Leftovers Kyogre : 59 - 69 14.6% - 17.1%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Thunder vs. 252/120 Timid Leftovers Kyogre : 298 - 352 73.8% - 87.1%

Resttalk. Sleep Talk either gets you Roar, which takes care of it, Boiling Water which does 20% and has a chance for burn, or Rest again, but by that point you'll know what he's locked into so you'll be able to switch to something that resists it.

252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 252/248 Sassy Leftovers Nattorei : 174 - 206 49.4% - 58.5%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Surf vs. 252/248 Sassy Leftovers Forretress : 126 - 148 35.8% - 42%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252/248 Sassy Leftovers Forretress : 113 - 133 32.1% - 37.8%
52 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Thunder vs. 252/248 Sassy Leftovers Forretress : 71 - 84 20.2% - 23.9%

After a Gyro Ball Water Spout does as much as Surf and it does not 2HKO. Regardless of whatever else it's locked into, Nattorei can be used as death fodder in this scenario since all he's used for is entry hazards. If I know my opponent has Forry or another Rapid Spinner, I'll probably switch out. Thunder Wave is also a good option, even though it has dis-synergy with T. Spikes in this instance.

252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 252/152 Bold Leftovers Arceus : 405 - 477 91.2% - 107.4%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Surf vs. 252/152 Bold Leftovers Arceus : 289 - 342 65.1% - 77%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252/152 Bold Leftovers Arceus : 65 - 76 14.6% - 17.1%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Thunder vs. 252/152 Bold Leftovers Arceus : 164 - 193 36.9% - 43.5%

Now this is actually something to be worried about. But, once Arceus gets a CM in it looks a lot more favorable.

252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 252/152 Bold Leftovers Arceus +1 : 270 - 318 60.8% - 71.6%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Surf vs. 252/152 Bold Leftovers Arceus +1 : 195 - 229 43.9% - 51.6%
252 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252/152 Bold Leftovers Arceus +1 : 43 - 51 9.7% - 11.5%
52 Timid Choice Specs Kyogre Thunder vs. 252/152 Bold Leftovers Arceus +1 : 109 - 129 24.5% - 29.1%

And +2 follows but I won't bother listing it. Basically, if Kyogre uses a non-STAB move, Arceus is safe and can retaliate with WoW, Spacial Rend, etc. If Kyogre switched in on T.Spikes, Arceus can reasonably Toxic Stall it if it has some pre-existing boosts.

I'm not going to list Giratina-O because it's Naive so it should go without saying that Kyogre OHKOs with everything. I'm not going to talk about Ditto either since it's basically Kyogre vs himself.

SpecsKyogre is only threatening to scrubs (like you) who don't know how to react to it appropriately. In the hands of experienced players, SpecsKyogre is still a threat, but a very minimal one. In this team, SpecsKyogre has a good chance of killing one thing in its wake, but the chances of it having a long-term effect on this team are low.

btw, there's also the fact that I've been playing the Ubers ladder for a long time now and I have NEVER seen any Specs Kyogre AT ALL.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Yeah, the problem of specs ogre is mostly alleviated by the fact that he has nothing really to switch in on. However you do have no safe switch ins to kyogre. Like at all.

Lol @ me being threatened by specs ogre. I actually put pokemon able to switch in to him on my team.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Do you have any idea how hard it is to safely switch in on anything in Ubers?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Riddle is too young to have a job, so we'll just have to MM for however much money his mom gives him.

Also, stop being annoying. We don't need commentary on posts.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I'm gonna suggest something here that you would normally laugh me out of here for, but since this team focuses on stacking up entry hazards and forcing switches, here's something that I at least want you to look at:

Volbeat @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
Bold / Mischievous Heart

Substitute
Encore
Baton Pass
Protect

It can't deal with extremespeed users, but if you can bring it in after a kill it can stall things down with repeated sub+protect, and can block attempts to set up on it with Encore, which gives one of your other pokemon a free substitute...I suppose upping physical defense is better since the only real threat to it in the first place is priority, most of which is physical. Maybe it could survive a hit then.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Why wouldn't Groudon switch into Kyogre Boil Over? With a reasonable amount of HP and SpD EVs, Boil over in the sun won't do that much.

As for dealing with Groudon in general, Giratina-O is probably the best option if they don't pack Dragon Claw and a status move. Ditto is good at revenge killing after RP Groudon gets a boost, and it's just good in general to bring in against Groudon. Tentacruel Ice Beam works too but it isn't as good as the other solutions for obvious reasons.

If WoW misses, just WoW again. If you're talking about when the enemy Arceus would be at like +4 or higher already, I'd send in Ditto, not Arceus.

Have you considered Lugia? Realize im humbly suggesting this in the hopes that it would help your team so don't kill me if its not acceptable to you.
I playtested him instead of ditto and since you lacked another phazer it seemed appropriate. Lugia with reflect really helps Arceus get setup and a couple of extra chances to WoW, she also makes a good counter to groudon(even though he is not a problem), but mainly her extra phazing helps a lot when I played with her.

Top Bottom