• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

“Namco Worker” Shares Smash 4 Rumors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Really sucked there, at least DS-games are import friendly (no region locking) so it wasn't too much of a hassle for me to get it. (-=.=-)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
EarthBound wasn't released in Europe either.
from what i know earthbound wasnt released here due to it poor sales in america (witch is a shame) so i naturally assumed the same was true for starfy, but i'll take your respective words for it

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Now the worker claimed this:

"A few misconceptions I've seen spread around the net...

First of all, I've seen people bring up Starfy's sales. That's not what I said, I said his series didn't make a significant splash in the West, which it did not. Selling well during the first week it was out does not equate long-lasting appeal. There have been no further Starfy games since 2009, and the character himself does not stand out among the rest of the Nintendo lineup, especially as his genre (platformer) has multiple representation already in Mario, DK, and Kirby. There is nothing to gain by including Starfy.

Dillon's game didn't do that well either in terms of game ratings and such, but his character has far more potential. Rolling Western was one of the original "flagship" titles used to represent the 3DS EShop Non-Retail Games (along with stuff like Pushmo and Sakura Samurai), and the only way for people to obtain it currently is to buy it, directly, from Nintendo at full-price. You don't have that with Legendary Starfy...if you see Starfy in Smash 4, for instance, and like the character, your only recourse to see more of him would be to purchase a roughly 5-year old game, probably used. Dillon's a character with far more growth potential, both in terms of sales and notability, than Starfy is, a 10+ year old character whose time in the spotlight has come and gone.

And a lot of people seem confused by the "east vs. west" theme of Takamaru and Little Mac. It does not refer to simply the eastern/western divide when it comes to game developers and such, but the "roles" of the characters themselves. Little Mac is a recognizable "western" archetype, the Rocky Balboa-esque boxer, and Takamaru is the recognizable "eastern" samurai. That's why they were chosen, because while they symbolize a specific culture, that symbol is global enough that everyone will immediately recognize the character on a basic level even if they haven't played their game. That's why the Fire Emblem guys, pre-US release of Fire Emblem, did so well...European swordsmen are easily relatable and iconic, even if their game is technically Japanese-only."

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64901335?page=30

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Earthbound mainly failed because of the crap advertisement. "This game stinks!" anyone?

Also on a different topic, the rumors does mention 3D Classic: The Mysterious Murasame Castle. There was a tech demo for the 3DS that demonstrated several classic games from the NES and SNES being played on a 3DS back in E3 2010, one of which is The Mysterious Murasame Castle. There is the possibility of 3D Classics: The Mysterious Murasame Castle being made, or at least ported to Virtual Console, sometime in the future. This might be especially the case after Nintendo Land was released.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sheesh. The "worker" seems quite against Starfy as I can see. (-T_T-)* And to think he's so positive trying to pull down people on believing Dillon is in despite his game still being a digital release, which will perhaps to be out of distribution the time 3DS-consoles will be not be manufactured anymore. At least Starfy's still kept in physical format.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Now the worker claimed this:

"A few misconceptions I've seen spread around the net...

First of all, I've seen people bring up Starfy's sales. That's not what I said, I said his series didn't make a significant splash in the West, which it did not. Selling well during the first week it was out does not equate long-lasting appeal.
This guy is making himself look like a bigger and bigger fool. No way did Starfy do over 500K in sales in only one week.

D

Deleted member

Haliburton said:
First of all, I've seen people bring up Starfy's sales. That's not what I said, I said his series didn't make a significant splash in the West, which it did not. Selling well during the first week it was out does not equate long-lasting appeal. There have been no further Starfy games since 2009, and the character himself does not stand out among the rest of the Nintendo lineup, especially as his genre (platformer) has multiple representation already in Mario, DK, and Kirby. There is nothing to gain by including Starfy.

Dillon's game didn't do that well either in terms of game ratings and such, but his character has far more potential. Rolling Western was one of the original "flagship" titles used to represent the 3DS EShop Non-Retail Games (along with stuff like Pushmo and Sakura Samurai), and the only way for people to obtain it currently is to buy it, directly, from Nintendo at full-price. You don't have that with Legendary Starfy...if you see Starfy in Smash 4, for instance, and like the character, your only recourse to see more of him would be to purchase a roughly 5-year old game, probably used. Dillon's a character with far more growth potential, both in terms of sales and notability, than Starfy is, a 10+ year old character whose time in the spotlight has come and gone.
Haliburton's wall of lies is beginning to crack. My response:
Me exposing his lies said:
Haliburton, the problem with your Starfy argument is that you say that Dillon will likely be included due to promotional reasons, but yet we haven't had any evidence to show that a character outside of non-recurring franchises like Fire Emblem and Pokémon are included for promotional reasons. By this logic, K. Rool shouldn't have been locked in this game because he hasn't had been in a game since Super Mario Sluggers and hasn't been in a DK game since 2007.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, he covered the K. Rool issue by claiming that Retro worked on a new design for him possibly to be used for a sequel to Returns.

Again, not in supprt of the guy; just playing Devil's advocate.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think the fact that any of the educated speculators here could do a much better fake leak than this random nobody GameFAQs poster is truly the scary thing here, yet so many people are taking this leak as the real deal is really scary.

Just off the top of my head I can think of wording and information that would sound much more legit than what this guy is saying.

D

Deleted member

The least we can say in regards to the matter is that the leak will be proven false come February 1st, 2013, so this rumor won't go on to pollute the fan base until release.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
That'd be really great once that happens. I feel as though much better rumors could in fact be produced on here, especially within the backroom, then troll Gamefaqs forum with them. It'll be a Smashboards secret :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
GameFAQs is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the internet, so anything will be believed regardless of how ridiculous it is.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When supposed (fake) "leakers" open their mouths to explain things past the first post, they usually make it worse. Case in point.

Like SSBF said, February can't get here soon enough so this can finally be forgotten. I guess it might be too much to hope people will forget about it before then, especially if sites like Zelda Informer are going to report on it. :facepalm:

And like Chrono said, anybody with decent knowledge about the Smash 4 speculation scene, previous semi-believable leaks, Sakurai's past tendancies, and the ability to speak logically and impartially could make a better, more believable false leak than this. Especially if they didn't give an expiry date on their leak. :laugh:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The least we can say in regards to the matter is that the leak will be proven false come February 1st, 2012, so this rumor won't go on to pollute the fan base until release.
what's so special about February 1st, 2013? could someone explain it to me?

EDIT: Never mind.

That'd be really great once that happens. I feel as though much better rumors could in fact be produced on here, especially within the backroom, then troll Gamefaqs forum with them. It's be a Smashboards secret :troll:
that would be a good idea... :troll:

nessokman

Smash Lord
This guy is an idiot.SSB4 was just in the beginning in march. its been 9 months, leaks don't typically happen 9 months into production on a game that will take years to finish.

D

Deleted member

That'd be really great once that happens. I feel as though much better rumors could in fact be produced on here, especially within the backroom, then troll Gamefaqs forum with them. It'll be a Smashboards secret :troll:
I'm surprised Haliburton didn't come on Smashboards. Perhaps he would be too afraid that people would rip him apart so quickly.
GameFAQs is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the internet, so anything will be believed regardless of how ridiculous it is.
Try IGN for bottom of the barrel. GameFAQs Smash community is horrific, but only IGN can beat it in absurdity.
And like Chrono said, anybody with decent knowledge about the Smash 4 speculation scene, previous semi-believable leaks, Sakurai's past tendancies, and the ability to speak logically and impartially could make a better, more believable false leak than this. Especially if they didn't give an expiry date on their leak. :laugh:
And this along with the fact that Haliburton mentioned that information would start coming out at Nintendo Direct is what makes this false.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
^That's why I like coming on here. There can be logical debates for all aspects of the series, and even allow me to see that my view might've been unrealistic or could be improved upon

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
they will only give info at Nintendo Direct when getting closer to the release date. they will likely announce the release date on a Nintendo Direct as well.

I still think that the earlest time we'll get info on SSB4 will be during E3 2013. Before that, I doubt we'll be getting any news on the game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Frost: And now it's more pronounced on since Sakurai said he'll be refraining from any info about the game until he'll reveals it in sometime he finds it appropriate.

You know what, let's do it. Do a rumor ourselves and go post it on Gamefaqs with the best ways we could analyse it. Let them believe it like little sheep... I mean, we're the top tier speculators and analysists on Smash there is at the moment.

*Laughs like Ganondorf*

(-Ò<>Ó-)

D

Deleted member

They'd figured out pretty quickly if we used our account. We would have to create an alt account for this.

That said, I'd rather we not do it, as fun as humiliating GameFAQs with such a rumor would be. Doing a fake rumor just to make fun of GameFAQs would reflect badly on us and would show that we're no better than them.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
They'd figured out pretty quickly if we used our account. We would have to create an alt account for this.

That said, I'd rather we not do it, as fun as humiliating GameFAQs with such a rumor would be. Doing a fake rumor just to make fun of GameFAQs would reflect badly on us and would show that we're no better than them.
I suppose that is true. Taking the high road I see :smirk:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Even if this rumor was true why the hell would he choose GameFAQs of all places to release said information? >.>

Probably because they're the most gullible bunch now that I think about it. Kudos to the rumor guy.

D

Deleted member

I have no account there, so I could probably do it.
Question is, why would I WANT to?

D

Deleted member

Even if this rumor was true why the hell would he choose GameFAQs of all places to release said information? >.>

Probably because they're the most gullible bunch now that I think about it. Kudos to the rumor guy.
You've nailed it, this along with GameFAQs having the most active SSB4 community is why Haliburton picked it for his trolling.

I wouldn't be surprised if all legitimate leaks we get this game goes through Smashboards and/or NeoGAF because at least both places will hold you accountable for the rumor. Heck, Nsider2 and Serebii (especially for Pokémon) are better places to leak.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Doesn't take a genius to create a rumor that people will latch onto, just tell them what they want to hear, don't be ridiculous, and you'll get some believers. How sad.

Add 2/3 highly popular characters, 1/2 decently popular characters, and an unexpected yet plausible addition, throw in something about improved online, maybe a few pretty obvious stages and you've got yourself Zelda Informer bait. :rolleyes:

Oh, and don't give an end date like this rumor. Helps the hangers-on still believe when everyone else has finally abandoned you. ;)

That said, we don't need any more unfounded rumors with people claiming to be part of or related to the industry, so just pray this one dies soon and we don't get too many more before the unveiling. (Wishful thinking :p)

Plus GameFAQs isn't the smartest place for speculation, here the rumor would've got torn apart too quickly.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
GameFAQs Smash community is horrific, but only IGN can beat it in absurdity.
Yeah, IGN is the worst. At least GameFAQs has a few intelligent posters. IGN, nope.

Only GameFAQs and SmashBoards are active as far as Smash Bros. speculation is concerned.

IGN, Nsider2, NeoGAF's Smash Bros. thread are basically ghost towns half the time.

D

Deleted member

Add 2/3 highly popular characters, 1/2 decently popular characters, and an unexpected yet plausible addition, throw in something about improved online, maybe a few pretty obvious stages and you've got yourself Zelda Informer bait. :rolleyes:
The guy that wrote the article stated multiple times that he doesn't believe it himself, and has even wrote various things such as "It should be noted that there is no way to verify the legitimacy of this source, and these rumors should be taken as nothing more. Prepare a truckload of salt before reading this, because you’re going to need more than a few grains.".

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The guy that wrote the article stated multiple times that he doesn't believe it himself, and has even wrote various things such as "It should be noted that there is no way to verify the legitimacy of this source, and these rumors should be taken as nothing more. Prepare a truckload of salt before reading this, because you’re going to need more than a few grains.".
It still got reported on and gained followers, all I'm saying is that seemingly anyone semi-intelligent could create a rumor to the extent of what I described and it would likely get published on ZI..

I agree, it's good that they at least included a disclosure (though most rumors nowadays have disclosures), but it still speaks about the standards of the site.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I won't claim to know if it's fake even if it is most likely. Until February I'll hold me speculation.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
"Due to my speculation and occasionally stalking Nintendo and Namco, I would like to tell you all Mitt Romney will be in SSB4, since he made such a great appearance in the Americas"
Who wants to bet 85% of GameFAQs users will believe in this load of ****, alongside with the other rumors he made? This is just sad, tbh the only character I can see definitely being added is Zoroark.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I won't claim to know if it's fake even if it is most likely. Until February I'll hold me speculation.
So I guess the next Nintendo Direct is going to be shown in February. Anyways, I won't be too surprised if they did not show anything related to SSB4.

Anyways, I wonder did anyone asked that Namco worker if he has any details related to the Pokemon or the Starfox series? (Even though I still don't believe any of the rumors he stated.)

Also when he wrote "I don't think a new Fire Emblem character is going to happen. Krom isn't likely as he's considered too Marth-like in terms of his character and how that would translate into gameplay."

Are Krom and Marth similar in terms of gameplay within Fire Emblem Awakening because I have been avoiding spoilers of the game so far.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Anyways, I wonder did anyone asked that Namco worker if he has any details related to the Pokemon or the Starfox series? (Even though I still don't believe any of the rumors he stated.)
Not to be rude, but why would you ask the man who has been making lies about character appearances about Starfox/Pokemon appearances? Just curious.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Presumably to get opinions out there. Even though all of this is fake, it's perfectly okay to hear opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom