• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

“Namco Worker” Shares Smash 4 Rumors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VitorAizen

Smash Rookie
News of the next entry in the hit Super Smash Bros. series has been slow since it began development earlier this year. But today, a user by the name of “Halibuton” has appeared on GameFAQs, claiming to work in Namco’s PR firm. His thread shares with us a slew of details on the upcoming game that he claims to have heard here and there throughout his work. It should be noted that there is no way to verify the legitimacy of this source, and these rumors should be taken as nothing more. Prepare a truckload of salt before reading this, because you’re going to need more than a few grains.

A Nintendo Direct feed is coming on January 31st, the anniversary of Brawl‘s JP release.
Little Mac and Takamaru were two of the first newcomers chosen, representing the East and the West.
K. Rool will be playable, featuring a redesign of the character put forth by Retro Studios. (Could a new Donkey Kong Country be on the way?)
Ridley will be playable, featuring his “evolution” from Other M. He and K. Rool were chosen due to high demand.
Shulk, Ghirahim, and Dillon (Dillon’s Rolling Western) are planned to be included in the roster, but these decisions are not finalized
Platinum Games wants to include a character, but no decisions have been made yet. Characters from The Wonderful 101 look more likely than Bayonetta.
A new Yoshi character to be introduced will be playable, likely to originate from Yoshi Land Wii U.
Starship Mario, Pushmo Park, Cookie Country (Kirby’s Return to Dream Land), and Giant Chasm (Pokémon Black and White Versions 2) will all be featured stages.
This “leak” follows the usual formula: Include one or two small surprises, but keep everything completely believable. Nothing in here really stands out as too much of a stretch from reality, lending a hand to its believability. However, information like this is just as easy to fake as it is to hear, so don’t expect anything just yet. We’ll have to wait for some more official news before anything this guy says can be trusted.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/c...mors-ghirahim-and-ridley-playable-nintendo-di

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Considering what Sakurai just recently said about waiting for news and the lack of this "leaker's" credentials, this is an obvious fake. Anticipating lock.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I have no problem with speculation. MAYBE SAKURAI IS JUST TRYING TO HIDE IT!

Those characters are quite a stretch, though.

At worst, you could link to Sakurai's statement/theoretical rebuttal. Not sure why a lock would be necessary.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hadn't heard of this rumor before and I like everything it has to offer. Unfortunately until January 31st comes and goes there's no way to know! I mean:

Little Mac & Takamaru = very likely
K. Rool & Ridley = two best villains to add
Shulk, Ghirahim, and Dillon = decent extras
New Yoshi character = awesome

But whatever, we'll see. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if parts of this rumor are true though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm pretty sure Zelda Informer has been wrong very often when rumors go to that site. I would hope some of those characters get in anyway. But thats besides the point

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh brother, Zelda Informer. They were so hungry for publicity that they posted every Zelda Wii rumor that was sent their way. Their gullibility got the best of them. For a short time predating Skyward Sword's release, they were at the top of the Zelda fan sites. Crash and burn.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
eh all those characters listed are ones most people agree are pretty likely to begin with so it could be legit. but i won't hold my breath. and if Wonderful 101 got in that would be awesome too but again not holding my breath.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This flies directly in the face of what Sakurai said mere hours later IIRC, there isn't going to be news for a while, most likely not before E3, definitely not at Direct next month and then it's going to be a "big reveal" not a "sliver of information" like the original GameFAQs article stated.

Plus, at least to me, some of the characters chosen, and the reasons they were chosen, and the details given about them, just sound incredibly fake. I'd be unbelievably surprised if it was true.

Zelda Informer will really publish anything nowadays. :rolleyes:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Well, at the very least the guy has posted 3 things throughout that Gamefaqs topic that will either point to him telling the truth, or to him lying. The Jan 31st Nintendo Direct, a new Yoshi character called Debu that is a Red dino(which would apparently be in the rumored Yoshi Land Wii U game), and a roster for an upcoming anime fighting game.

So we'll see soon enough if any of that becomes true.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, at least by February this will have been proven false, unlike some other rumors that have no "end date" and go on indefinitely for months/years, with people still believing them.

D

Deleted member

Nothing to see here. Definitely fake.

Though I do need to read the GameFAQs thread.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sakurai's article yesterday renders this total bull already (and why he would let in developers who can leak out rumors like a blabbermouth. No dignity on one's work and it's secretivity?)

Keep these rumors out of this board. UGH.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
i know its just a rumor but if the only way they think they could add ridley is to make him a little white creepy chicken.
or a ground crawling komodo dragon thing...

then dont put him in the game at all..as much as it hurts to say..i dont him dumbed down or to play as a clone...

thats actually a extremely disgraceful act if you think about it.. Ridley has been known in metroid since day 1 and sooo much demand for him in smash and when he finally gets in hes some reference to the latest awful disgrace metroid game that ruined the series...

Oww wow...what scares me is that it seems something nintendp would do..they dissapoint so much and so bad..in the most creative ways that you would have never gussed...

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
For anyone still believing this, this leaker has made two major lies since opening up more of his mouth:

1. Claims Baten Kaitos was being considered for a playable character: Lie. Baten Kaitos did not sell well (especially Origins) on the GameCube and is a third-party IP.

2. Claims Starfy bombed in North America: Lie. Starfy sold over 500K in North America alone.

Its funny how the more he opens his mouth (and more obviously false things he says), the more GameFAQs believes him, but that is GameFAQs for you.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: Can't wait until February comes around to prove GameFAQs wrong.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I wouldn't exactly trust the rumor. We'll wait and see what the next Nintendo Direct wills how to see if what the claimed Namco worker stated is true (although I doubt it.)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
these rumors are getting funny indeed... can't wait for the moment they're revealed to be fake.

it's impressive how some people are so... gullible.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Here are a few more things that the Namco worker stated:

"A poster asked me about the possibility of some other characters making the roster and why things are of course subject to chance, there are a few characters who I am quite certain will not make it to playable status based on what I've heard and a few of my own observations.

*As I said before, Kalas was considered before Shulk and Xenoblade took off, but since Shulk will likely make it in, Kalas is pretty much out of luck. At best we can hope that Sakurai can include some of Baten Kaitos' stellar soundtrack.

*Level 5 as far as I know has not been contacted or contacted Sakurai in regards to Professor Layton.

*I don't think the view on Animal Crossing characters as fighters has changed. Unless there's some sort of underground fight club that Resetti runs in the new Animal Crossing, I don't think that will change so no playable Tom Nook.

*Square-Enix is surprisingly protective of Mario RPG characters, which is why all we've seen is Geno in SuperStar Saga as a cameo. I've heard rumors that it goes further than Smash...Nintendo apparently wanted to use him and other RPG characters in the Mario x SE games (like Sports Mix) but Square Enix wanted their well-known Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters instead and wouldn't let them.

* Bowser Jr. is now considered by Nintendo more or less as part of the Koopalings. Apparently that interferes with him being included, as he's been considered prior to the Koopalings returning, but now there's worry that including him and not the others isn't a good choice.

* No Sukapon, probably. Sakurai doesn't want to include Japanese-only characters unless they're known enough and have potential among Western audiences. The reason Takamaru is getting in is due to Nintendo Land, which is apparently the beginning of Nintendo's aim to introduce him to the west. I'd expect we'll see a 3D Classics Nazo no Murasame Jo released for the 3DS in the near future as part of this aim. Takamaru's character (a classic samurai) is also considered to be far more recognizable to foreign audiences than Sukapon.

* There's no plans to finish Toon Zelda, Tetra, Dixie, or Plusle and Minun, mostly revolving around the fact that their time has come, more or less, and they're dated. They were at once seriously considered, but dropped once the majority of the actual development began because they were expendable being less popular.

If there's a specific character you're wondering about, ask and I'll give you what I've heard. There's a lot of little tidbits regarding early roster ideas I've heard about, but most of this is older information and, like I said, probably on the cutting room floor."

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64901335?page=14

"I believe Waluigi was chosen to be an AT for Brawl because he fit that role so well...it's his character to be "just good enough", you could say. He was never considered playable at any point for Brawl, and that hasn't changed.

I know Capcom does want a character in, but I doubt Resident Evil is what they're aiming for.

I don't think a new Fire Emblem character is going to happen. Krom isn't likely as he's considered too Marth-like in terms of his character and how that would translate into gameplay.

Is the test judging my knowledge of the Zelda-verse, in which we have old woman Impa in Zelda II, Muscular Impa in Ocarina, Fat Impa in Oracle, and two Impa, young and old, in Skyward Sword (and Impaz in Twilight Princess)? :p

I'm pretty sure there won't be an additional Zelda character if Ghirahim makes it, and if he doesn't, then it certainly won't be a character from Skyward Sword like Impa. Sheik will probably be redesigned and, yes, I'd say that they may draw inspiration from Impa for her new look."

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64901335?page=16

I still don't think the information provided is legit and I won't be too surprised if what the Namco worker claimed is false, but then again its best to take the details with a grain of salt.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One thing to point out. As far as Brawl went, there were no character leaks until around October of 2007 and it was only a few (Olimar was one. So was Ness). It's way to early to get any of this information.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One thing to point out. As far as Brawl went, there were no character leaks until around October of 2007 and it was only a few (Olimar was one. So was Ness). It's way to early to get any of this information.
ChaosZero leaked things in August or July 2007 I believe. I said it on GameFAQs that the leaks for Smash Bros. only happen when Westerners get their hands on the game. In Japan, no one was aware of the leaked roster until the actual street date for Brawl. When they were unlocking things, they were expecting Mewtwo and Roy to be the next final characters after Jigglypuff.

D

Deleted member

For anyone still believing this, this leaker has made two major lies since opening up more of his mouth:

1. Claims Baten Kaitos was being considered for a playable character: Lie. Baten Kaitos did not sell well (especially Origins) on the GameCube and is a third-party IP.

2. Claims Starfy bombed in North America: Lie. Starfy sold over 500K in North America alone.

Its funny how the more he opens his mouth (and more obviously false things he says), the more GameFAQs believes him, but that is GameFAQs for you.
Problem with the first point is, sales do not determine characters, and by this time, Baiten Kaitos is technically a 1st Party franchise, given that the series is a Monolith Soft IP. Yes, Namco published the first one, but they did not publish the 2nd; Nintendo did (and this was before Nintendo aquired Monolith).
So your statement doesn't actually prove what you think it proves.

With the second point, you got me there. Although, while the series did not bomb persay, the sales aren't as good as other Nintendo franchises. He was incorrect in his statement about the game bombing in America, but, if going by the whole "sales make the characters" bs, then yes, it's hardly likely that The Legendary Starfy will influence Starfy's inclusion.

Not that I believe the guy; just playing Devil's advocate.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To be fair though, Namco is involved with Super Smash Bros. 4 and Monolith Soft is now a first party company with Nintendo, so it's kinda believable in a sense.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo does not own Baten Kaitos. Its a Namco property.
I had to look up trademarks to confirm this. But indeed, Namco-Bandai owns the series.
Seems kind of strange that they did not publish Origins, nor was anything from the series in Project X Zone to my knowledge, despite both Namco and Monolith being involved in that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
With the second point, you got me there. Although, while the series did not bomb persay, the sales aren't as good as other Nintendo franchises. He was incorrect in his statement about the game bombing in America, but, if going by the whole "sales make the characters" bs, then yes, it's hardly likely that The Legendary Starfy will influence Starfy's inclusion.

Not that I believe the guy; just playing Devil's advocate.
Starfy sells better in Japan than Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero for Nintendo's veteran series. Compared to other C-list series in Japan, most of the Starfy games sold better than Panel de Pon, Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment, Punch-Out, Xenoblade, and sold on par with the GBA Golden Sun games.

D

Deleted member

Starfy sells better in Japan than Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero for Nintendo's veteran series. Compared to other C-list series in Japan, most of the Starfy games sold better than Panel de Pon, Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment, Punch-Out, Xenoblade, and sold on par with the GBA Golden Sun games.
We are talking specifically in America with The Legendary Starfy, which your previous point states.

We are not talking about Japan here. And if we were, then The Legendary Starfy DID bomb.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Xenosaga, Endless Frontier, and Namco x Capcom characters do appear in Project X Zone though, so some Monolith Soft developed content does appear.

Still odd that Baten Kaidos gets the shaft though.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
There are only four people I know of that legitimately had information about Brawl before it was released. The first was NyaseNya, despite his fetish for Peach's underpants, was accurate in all of the characters he leaked and their moves (though he was ridiculed to death by this community). The second was SerebiiJoe from serebii.net, who knew about the Pokémon characters in the game. The third was ChaosZero, who's blog I recall reading at the time. And the last person was some meat guy on another Smash Bros board who was a playtester for the game, and leaked Ness and R.O.B.

The only other significant leaks during that period were the Famitsu leaks of Sheik, and Zelda's final smash; and the accidental reveal of Lucario, Jigglypuff and Ness during the Japanese Brawl overview video on the Dojo. All of these happened well after the game was in development, never before.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We are talking specifically in America with The Legendary Starfy, which your previous point states.

We are not talking about Japan here.
Starfy's first Western release sold really well here though. It sold 500-800K (I need to find that press release, it was some really high number).

You know how many developers were be grateful to have their game even approach half of that number?

Starfy's first international release was a massive success, which really surprises me as to why another Starfy game has not been made yet. I think TOSE has just been busy with so many other projects that they have not gotten around to it.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: I think I saw Nyase around a few times on the SSB Wii-U GameFAQs board.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The first was NyaseNya, despite his fetish for Peach's underpants, was accurate in all of the characters he leaked and their moves (though he was ridiculed to death by this community)..
NyaseNya was someone who was obsessed with the buttocks of Peach and other Nintendo characters as well. There was an infamous GameFAQs troll named Sybb who would constatly make topics about either Peach's undergarments or buttocks (and other video game characters). I have not seen NyaseNya or Sybb since Brawl was released, though there have been some other users with the name Sybb being poor knockoffs of the original. Pretty intriguing that a low-class pervert troll likely ended up being one of Brawl's prominent leakers.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Starfy's first international release was a massive success, which really surprises me as to why another Starfy game has not been made yet. I think TOSE has just been busy with so many other projects that they have not gotten around to it.
if it was so successful, why was never released in europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom