• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your favorite RPG?

Algasir

Smash Lord
RPGs are my favorite type of games. Some of my faves are:

Chrono Trigger: This isn't just my favorite RPG, it's my favorite game period! I can't put it down! I am currently trying to get the last of the twelve endings, then I will try to get all my characters to level 99. This has been one of the few games I have been really into.

Dragon Warrior series: Fun. I love the overworld theme for the 1st DW.

Final Fantasy series: You haven't been playing too many games if you have yet to hear of Final Fantasy. My favorites of the series are 4 and 6 (2 and 3 in the US.)

Phantasy Star Online: I have yet to beat Episode One on this game in Single Mode, but I have in Multi Mode. If I wanted to I could, I've just been busy. This game is really fun though.

Pokemon: I haven't been as much of a Pokefan as I used to be, but I still like the games.

MegaMan Battle Network series: I'm pretty sure this is an RPG. I currently own 1, 2, and theBlue version of 3. I enjoy this series alot.

firaga01

Smash Lord
By far my favorite RPG was FF8. It was one of my first and it really showed me that games can have pretty decent plots. Oh, and its the FF with the most summons!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Was the revivation of this topic really nesseccary? Woo. One line posts. Just what I want to read!

I'd like to quote my n00bish self from back when his topic was young though:
"Super Mario RPG"

Wow Cashed, you sure were a n00b back then. I hate you, you should post way better. Atleast be a bit more descriptive. Super Mario RPG is the best RPG I have ever played because it is one of the few I've every fully played. I've played a few Final Fantasies but they've never been able to grab me. I've played Chrono Trigger but I hated it. (So? Sue me) Super Mario RPG had some awesome bosses, yet they were bizarre, Bowyer comes to mind. Johnny Shark, he is a very memorable character in a game because he was just so **** cool ;) He becomes your friend after you kick his buttocks. The characters also had a lot of personality for being in an SNES game, which was very nice to see. I still remember the first time I played SMRPG... Boy those were the good old days, not being able to beat a game... ;)

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
My favorite RPG series has to be Pokemon. I got swept up into Pokemon, purchasing Blue and Yellow. But then I got out of it. That is, until I read about the Battle Tower in Crystal. I had to get Crystal. So I went to Best Buy and mistakenly purchased Silver. Then I got bored again. But now Ruby and Sapphire have recaptured my attention.

Second place has to go to Golden Sun. Sure, it's a new series, but I love it. I love having characters who don't seem overly powerful. I love having a portable RPG that has so much customization. I love the battles and the puzzles.

Third, Paper Mario alone. This game may not be exactly like an RPG, but it's still fun. This is one of the few 1-P games that I've played over and over.

Armani

Smash Rookie
It's a place where Spring and Autumn never stay bu
No thought: Earthbound.

Without question my favorite RPG is Earthbound. How many games throw in that stupid-sense of reality and really make you wonder how things can get worse? Talking piles of puke; that'll do it. Even come with a scratch-n-sniff card in the PG that comes with it. Barf is nasty.

The .hack games and the Final Fantasies follow it up. They'd be higher, but I'm not looking forward to X-2, just HAS to stay with the "X" title, and the .hack games could be better with a few more options, like class choice.

In any case, Earthbound takes the trophy for RPG and remains at the top!

NinjaX

Smash Apprentice
Of the few rpgs I have played (mainly square games), secret of mana and sheiken densetsu 3 were very good games in that you had the option to run from battle or fight. I also don't like the complicated structure of most rpgs like pokemon, or one of the square games i played, chrono trigger. I never played pokemon, and i never will. :p

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Favorite RPG eh...

I don't have a favorite... I like all of these
Legend Of Zelda
PSO
Golden Sun/ Lost Age
Battlenetwork
Pokemon
Tactics Ogre

I've never really played a square game... EVER, but I'm waiting for the upcoming Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Finally a four player RPG that looks real nice and not to complicated.

I'm also looking forward to Fire Emblem.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
Chrono Trigger of course.

My other favorites are FF7-FF10, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Cross, PSO, Diablo II, Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, and I guess u can consider Link to the past a RPG. Golden Sun is good too.

SSJ9_Chibi_Goku

Smash Rookie

1.FFVII:D
2.FFX
3.FFVI
4.FFVII
5.Crono Cross
6.Earth Bound
7.Dark Cloud
8.FFIX
9.FF Legend III
10.FFVIII
11.Super Mario RPG
12. Zelda
13.Golden Sun

:D

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
OoT was fantastic, FF8 also, with 7 9 and 10 excellent too. Playing 'Dark Chronicle' atm for PS2, looks promising I recommend it. Very in depth from what I can tell.

Pokemasterkatie

Smash Ace
As you can tell from my name, my favorite RPG is Pokemon.:rolleyes: Pokemon Ruby rules(I haven't gotten Sapphire yet, and probably never will)! Too bad they took out the animations from Crystal, those were cool... But why must some people *coughcoughTheDuckcoughcough* beat up the all-so-cute Pikachu?!:(
<--Fave Pokemon=Pikachu:o

Paper Mario comes in at second place, but I haven't played any RPGs besides those 2... I'd like to get the Earthbound games for the GBA if it ever gets transferred to America(I hope so; I missed the chance during the time I had with my SNES...).

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario RPG hands down! That game NEVER gets old for me, but i've played it so much that I know where basicaly everything is and I can get almost everything, except for that darn super suit, 88 jumps is my limit, so freakin close I could taste it, Oh well, just gotta try next time. Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are a close second, those too are great games, but Mario is my fave.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Final fantasy 5 and Kingdom hearts would be the best RPG's I have ever played. I hear the Golden Sun games on GBA are really good so i cant wait till i play them. Does anyone know if Squaresoft are planning any other games for the Gamecube besides Crystal Chronicals?

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
No one has said ANYTHING about Parasite Eve! The story on that is awesome, and even though it was short, the Chrysler Building (secret level, beat the game and play again to access it) took forever and got pretty tough at the end.

FFVII's my favorite, though, because that was the first RPG that I really sank my teeth into. Until then I hadn't really been interested. Plus, Sephiroth is the greatest video game villain of all time, IMO.

Best story was FF Tactics. I swear they should write a novel on that game, 'cause the story had so many layers. Betrayal upon betrayal of betrayal.

INFESTD

Raging Pirate
BRoomer
RPGs bore me. Everything is so predetermained. I liked Secret of Mana, though. It was sweet making your own weapons and armor, and the battle system was so sweet. I got so good at that game and had nearly every combo memorized. War Hammer pwns j00, but bare fist was the bestz0rz.

Fei-Sheik

Smash Rookie
Re: What is your favriote RPG?

Well, for me, its either ff7,or xenogears.

i also LOVE chrono trigger and super mario rpg.

But id have to choose beetween ff7 or xenogears. realy good story, kick arse music, awsome fighting system in xeno, unbeleivably cool chars.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is THE BEST RPG EVAR. Anyone who says otherwise can duke it out. My army vs. theirs:

Bring it.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't believe there is one definite best RPG!!!

Here are my top 5 though (in no particular order):

1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
2. Paper Mario (I have PM 2 already reserved)
3. Grandia II
4. Skies of Arcadia: Legends
5. Golden Sun: The Lost Age (I so hope they make a sequel for this)

loserlad89

Smash Ace
dude, my all time favorite RPG is FF8. the plot, characters, and graphics, and cutscenes were all amazing. There should be a sequel. how can you make a sequel to the horrible FFX and not FF8. A lot of people probably wont agree with me but thats my opinion and im entitled to it so poop on u.

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
I really wish I could give a more expanded set of RPGs as I have many I want to play, but my experiences are limited.

However, two RPGs have been really ground-breaking for me.

First one is Chrono Trigger. It had a perfect combination of turn-based fighting to like a traditional RPG, but it was faster paced than most RPGs I've played. It's probably the reason why I have new respects for RPGs all around. It gave me an idea of how well a battling system like in this game slewed in with a sublime story and excellent graphics (at least for the SNES anyway) could be strewn together so well.

The second one was the Golden Sun series; I'm only adjoining them because they seem to go hand-in-hand and belong as one. Anyway, I was at a friend's house and I asked if I could try out their Golden Sun game. He said I could, so I popped it in, and ultimately I was drawn to the deep detail of the game. Aside from an emphasis of almost too much dialogue, the battling was great, and there were a lot of plot twists to both games, and the whole game (both, in fact) took me by surprise. Although there isn't quite as much to do in this game as perhaps Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy, the game(s) is/are great while they last.

I probably put too much information into that just to say what my favorite RPGs where, but I felt it was in some need.

Stopsign

Smash Ace
There are 3 RPG's that really stand out in my mind.

Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals - This is one of my favorites because it has the 2nd best music in a game ever a very good story medicore graphics at least and the perfect ballence of challenge and fun. The gameplay is great as well. Some of the puzzles are really hard but optonal. I think to hear the final boss music is worth beating the game.

Crono Trigger - Do I really have to explain why this game is great.

Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars - This game is great. Awesome graphics great sound, and great gameplay. What more could you ask for.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
Chrono Trigger
The Suikoden series (Get's no freaking respect, everyone should play the first two dammit)
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy 9

And Sup3r M@rio RPG: L3g3nd 0f th3 S3v3n $tars!!!

Not last edited by McFoxxxy9 on 09-27-2004 at 06:35 PM

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
My favorites, in no particular order:

-Tales of Phantasia
-Terranigma
-Rudra no Hihou
-Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Secret of Mana 2)

Also up there, but not quite my favorites:

-Live a Live
-Legend of Mana
-Front Mission
-Breath of Fire 2
-Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Eternia in Japan)
-FF5
-Xenogears

Dr. Sloth

Smash Lord
In my secret base, in a secret location, plotting
My favorite RPG's? Here they are:

Arcanum - This game is simply BRILLIANT. A king among 2-dimensional PC games! Although the 19th century European feel is a bit blasé, the overworld is one of the biggest i've ever seen (to give you an idea of how HUGE it is, it took the developers 3 years to build it!!). It was also the first RPG I played that featured an Alignment system; i.e. you could either be a Hero or a Villan depending on your character's behavior. Plus, there are SO many things you can do, including sub-quests, and there are multiple ways to tackle obstacles (if you don't have the key to a door, just bust it down!). I could go on and on, but I think I should list my other favorites too...

Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - Do I REALLY have to tell you why this game is so awesome? It was a masterpiece back in the SNES era, and to many people, it still is today. Not only did it recieve a lot of acclaim, but this game definitely proves that Mario and Role Playing together is a match made in heaven.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - I've been waiting for a good Star Wars game for a long time, so this was definitely a breath of fresh air. This RPG has everything that even a moderate Star Wars fan would want, including an impressive battle system that blends turn-based commands with real-time action. Not to mention that turning to the Dark Side is lots of fun. :demon:

Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind - Another awesome RPG. I love RPGs where you have the freedom to do whatever you want, and this is no exception. I can't wait for the 4th Elder Scrolls game. It's coming out on the X-Box 2 next year. Pretty freakin' sweet...

Top Bottom