• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your favorite RPG?

Smashman

Smash Champion
Portland, Connecticut, U.S.A., Earth, Milky Way Ga
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Star is the best overall RPG of all time, IMO.

Great gameplay.
Great graphics.
Great story.

Paper Mario is a close second.

EarthBound has a horrible battle engine.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past really doesn't count, but that is also my favorite.

My top five game list

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee- fun and engaging
2. LoZ: A Link to the Past- just plain classic
3. Super Mario RPG- fun; best RPG
4. Goldeneye- best FPS of all time.
5. Paper Mario- just a notch below SMRPG.

I have three I can't decide between. Paper Mario is probably first, it was so fun and addictive. Chrono Trigger and Earth Bound are close seconds, although I haven't quite beaten Earth Bound.

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
Amen brother amen. I just beat Earth Bound for the thrid time and its still great. The battle engine is better then other games ive seen and a lot better then mario rpg, which is the worst rpg ever made

TrunksSuperSaiyanjin

Smash Apprentice
FFX
Why do u ask me why i like it?
Its got a nice b system and music and ect.does there have to be a answer to everything?!?:p
oh and bout ff11,u wont be to thrilled,but u might if u dont mind paying monthly.when u make a char its a 1 dollar fee plus 11 dollar per month!!!ripoff!

Rikiniki

Smash Rookie
My favorite RPG of all time has to Mario RPG for the SNES. How can you go wrong when you put Mario in an very popular video game genre? I also like the Final Fantasy series, they are always fun to play. I always thought that Earthbound would be an amazing RPG, but unforunately, I haven't played it :(

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
will
Earth Bound is hard to find at a good price. I got mine for 20 bucks at a small town gaming store.

Final Fanstey is a great series. I dont have a playstation so i have only played the SNES ones. My fav is Two.

My firends love chrono trigger but i have not found it any where.
oh well at least i have Earth Bound.

Smashman

Smash Champion
Portland, Connecticut, U.S.A., Earth, Milky Way Ga
hey, Hawaiianbum, yo yo ho loco. You just said that to get on my nerves. EVERYONE here agrees that Super Mario RPG is excellent, and is on their top favorite game lists. EarthBound, IMO, is a cool game. I really haven't played much of it, but I was turned off by the battle engine. Super Mario RPG has top-notch dialogue, fun, great and memorable characters, (Geno, Mallow). It has Bowser in its party, along with Princess Toadstool. Ok, so only four party members. Its about quality, not quantity. Super Mario RPG is NOT overrated, it is truly a great game, and my third favorite game, ever!. I'll try to get into EarthBound, also. Does anyone know where I could buy a copy of EarthBound. (not a contradiction, I'll just try to get into the battle engine.)

Silas Elias

Smash Journeyman
Geez... No one mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics??? Story and Battle System blows anything away that's out there.

Haha, but for non strategical RPGs, it'd have to be Skies of Arcadia. That game rules.

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Front Mission 3
3. Skies of Arcadia
4. FFIX
5. FFVII
6. Crono Trigger
7. Crono Cross
8. FFIII
9. FFX
10. FF IV/V
99. FFVIII

Kaboom

Smash Ace
Yay!

Final Fantasy Tactics. All the way. No offense to anyone here, but I thought the battle system in Earthbound was garbage. Just my opinion. Next to FFT would be FF7, then it's kind of a tie between FF6 and FF8... There's so many good RPGs! Paper Mario was great, and SMRPG was pretty good, too.:chuckle:

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Best=Chrono Trigger
Worst=Chrono Cross
Strange, hu? I dont have any money, but the same place I got my SNES and Chrono Trigger also has, Earthbound, FF3(5 in japan) and two(dont know # in Japan), and Mario RPG. When I get some money, witch should I get? They also have other RPGs that I have heard are good, but I cant remember there names.

RossMan4Life

BRoomer
BRoomer
They're all gonna laugh at you!

My favorite rpg is a little game known simply as ADOM. Acronym for Ancient Domains of Mystery. The sound/graphics are all but non-existent. Check this game out for free at www.adom.de -- You won't regret it. (Probably)

pikamon

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Venom Dream
Best=Chrono Trigger
Worst=Chrono Cross
Strange, hu? I dont have any money, but the same place I got my SNES and Chrono Trigger also has, Earthbound, FF3(5 in japan) and two(dont know # in Japan), and Mario RPG. When I get some money, witch should I get? They also have other RPGs that I have heard are good, but I cant remember there names.
Final Fantasy 3 is also known as FF6 not FF5. FF5 is a very unique game that was never released in America, until just recently, when Square released Final Fantasy: Anthology. Anthology contained FF5 and FF6 on it. FF6 is the one that most of us like the best or think is one of the best, it allowed you to have up to 14 characters and had a great storyline. FF5 was a very unique game in that it had a job class system that had never been seen before. You could be a fighter, ninja, Black Mage, White Mage, Red Mage, Blue Mage, ect. And you could change your job at any time! Many FF games have most of these jobs but none(excluding FF Tactics) could let you change to any of them at will. The Japanese felt that the intricate job system far was too complicated for us Americans, or any other contry for that matter, to understand. It started you out with one character, just like every other FF game(excluding 1), but within the first hour, gave you the other three that would stay with you until the end of the game. It spans over 3 worlds, yours, Galuf's(one of your teemates), and X-death(the final boss). FF5 is my faverate game in the series, due to its awsome job class system. I find the only downside to it being there are only four party members throughout the entire game...:(
If your unsure as to what game to get, just download the ROM for it. After playing the ROM for a while, you should get an idea if the game is good or not. Just make sure you delete it in 24 hours, otherwise, it's eligal.

And I believe that it was 2 in Japan and 4 in America, or vis virsa.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
Top ermm... 3

1 Earthbound
2 Super Mario RPG
3 Dragonball Z The Legacy of Goku
9999999.99 Final Fantasy 9

I hate Final Fantasy !

I haven't played any other RPG than those

G

GreatSaiyaKirby

I would have to say it was Paper Mario for me. It is fun and addictive. The Final Fantasy games are fun, but I never really got that interested in them.

DukieMan1223

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Venom Dream
Best=Chrono Trigger
Worst=Chrono Cross
Well then where did you get Chrono trigger.

Does anybody know if Funco Land still sells old games.

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not a real fan of Turned Based RPGs [*see below], but Mario RPG for SNES kicked booty. Some runner ups are Skies of Arcadia and... um... Golden Sun? [I've only played about 5 or 6 truned based RPGs :dizzy:].

*But as far a Real-Time RPGs go, Phantasy Star Online is my fav. Runners up are Legend of Zelda OoT and Secret of Mana.

I personally wasn't a fan of the battle style in Final Fantasy 3 and Chrono Trigger were you had to wait for that little bar to fill up before you attacked... It was like a Real-Time RPG but in a turn-based way... the games were killer in all other aspects though ;)!! Besides Mario RPG and Secret of Mana [which still had a hint of "wait for the sword to charge"-ness to it], those are the only 4 Square games that i've played :dizzy:... i guess i need to get with the program, huh? From what I've seen of Kingdom Hearts, I am definitly saving money for that little gem!

Super Roy

Smash Journeyman
i DO NOT like pokémon but i have to admit that pokemon blue and red were the best rpg's i have ever played. i never stopped playing it until i got all 150 of them(plus i got Mew). even after that i always was battling to raise their levels.

Mario RPG is my second favourite

gtitty85

Smash Journeyman
I like final fantasy,ogrebattle, and baldur's gate. Baldur's gate 2 is awesome and takes forever to beat.

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like a lot of different rpgs favs out there. personal, i wish i had a Playstation so i could get more recent ff games but once i get so cash im going to the place i got earthbound and find some more good rpgs. Ill even try mario rpg again. Maybe i missed somthing...

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
About downloading ROMs, my eternaly messed comp is so skrewed that it cant do anything, besides, looking for a rom that will actuly work for 3hours isnt exactly my fav thing to do. And SNES roms are not elegal becaus nintendo can no longer make a profit from it.
I got Chrono Trigger from a used place for my birthday. To awnser Duckiemans question.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World, is not an RPG.

I, myself, am torn up between two RPGs. That's because I've only played these two RPGs :^þ

Anyways, the two RPGs I've played (they're both awesome) are Golden Sun and Paper Mario. Paper Mario is more of a funny game, I think. I beat that already so I have to beat Golden Sun (I am getting close)

Zootematix

Artist formally known as ToadBanjoConker
BRoomer
Golden Sun is at the top of my list, it has a great story line.....uber cool graphics for the GBA, and has a great RPG system.

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
I'm not big on RPG's but as of right now, my favorite would probably be Golden Sun for it's interesting characters and engaging story line. I love the graphics also.

If you would have asked me a few months back, it would have been Super Mario RPG, although that is still my second favorite.....

Top Bottom