• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your favorite RPG?

SwordInTheStone

Smash Rookie
definitly tales of symphonia, mind u i cant wait for tales of legendia to come out.
final fantasy tactics is a close second
ff3 (on snes)
ff8
chrono cross in fourth

edit: oops, i think ToL is already out for ps2, i just havent seen it

courage

Smash Apprentice
I don't remember if i posted here or not but I like Star Ocean The Second Story Its a great game. and Tales Of Symphonia cause its like Star Ocean but better in some cases.

MeleeMan

Smash Ace
NNID
WilderFTW
3DS FC
2105-9709-5961
Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy X, Tales of Symphonia, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Sir Jigsbee

Smash Cadet
A lot of people have said Fire Emblem. This makes me happy, because it is generally a great game.

However, my favourite (ie the best) rpg is, of course... the one... the only... SUPER PAPER MARIO.
Having only just got it the other day, my love for it has risen well above that of any RPG, surpassing my previous favourites, Paper Mario 2 and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I just love the ideas, the design, the story, the bad but hilarious puns! Oh...

Meta-Knight

Smash Journeyman
My favorite RPG is the original Paper Mario for N64. I don't really care for The Thousand Year Door; I'd like it a lot more if it wasn't so difficult near the end. The original has better music in my opinion, and funner boss battles. Who can forget the final Bowser battle? Pure awesome.

My second favorite RPG would have to be Pokemon FireRed but the bad part is that I'm stuck on the Elite Four and still have a LOT of leveling up to do :(

Marty

Smash Apprentice
Wow, you guys actually liked FF 8? After how amazing 6 and 7 were, I knew I was going to be disappointed but even McGaiver couldn't have prepared himself for that blow.
As clearly as this comment was made just to be inflammatory, how can someone instinctively know that a sequel will be bad, based on the greatness of the current game? Whatever.

Final Fantasy 8 - Solid game. More involving that predecessors.
Icewind Dale - Excellent fun. My people are at like, -18 armour class. They're disgustingly good.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For direct rpgs(or mostly direct)...

Shining Force: Legacy of Great Intention
Shining Force II
Shining Force: Ressurection of the Dark Dragon
Shining Soul
Quest 64
Final Fantasy 1
Final Fantasy 8
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Super Mario RPG

For indirect rpgs...

All Zelda games, literally. I mean the Nintendo ones, anyway.
Sonic Battle
Flying Dragon
Super Paper Mario
Yugioh The Sacred Cards
Yugioh Reshef of Destruction
Yugioh The Falsebound Kingdom

I can't think of any other favorites. Obviously, the second list are for variation rpgs that really are quite different, as the last 3 Yugioh games are.

As clearly as this comment was made just to be inflammatory, how can someone instinctively know that a sequel will be bad, based on the greatness of the current game? Whatever.
On the contrary, Marty. Really, I want to know what made FF8 likeable to other people. I tried, no, I SLAVED to like it! I even forced myself through it to the final temple before I could stand no more. The game didn't make me feel connected to any of the characters, the music was sub-par (besides that sweet acoustic guitar song that is), and playing it really just felt like a chore to me. Final fantasy 6 was great. 7 was inspiring. I knew 8 couldn't live up to 7, but geeze! It was like getting punched in the face, twice, and the shameful thing was that it was a little girl that did it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On the contrary, Marty. Really, I want to know what made FF8 likeable to other people. I tried, no, I SLAVED to like it! I even forced myself through it to the final temple before I could stand no more. The game didn't make me feel connected to any of the characters, the music was sub-par (besides that sweet acoustic guitar song that is), and playing it really just felt like a chore to me. Final fantasy 6 was great. 7 was inspiring. I knew 8 couldn't live up to 7, but geeze! It was like getting punched in the face, twice, and the shameful thing was that it was a little girl that did it.
The Junctioning system was completely original, and the only series to have something similar is Golden Sun with the Djinn. The summons were just awesome, and you could skip through them by CHOICE, plus, it's the only battle gauge related game I like. I never played 6, mind you.

As for 7, I played it after 8, and outside of Aeris and Sephiroth, there's nothing I can even like about it. It was good to introduce the Battle Gauge system(I think it first appeared FF wise in 7...), but outside of that, there was nothing spectaculary new. Massive cutscenes is fine if it were a movie or a fighting game, but it's NOT. RPGs are meant to be played, not watched. Although I give ToS an exception there, but that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying FF7 is a bad game, but I just can't find anything redeeming about it personally. The only things that were wrong with FF8 was its linear storyline(IMO) and Squall's terrible personality. That's really it. You like FF7 better, and I prefer 8 more. I know people who think the same way as me and prefer 8, where MOST prefer 7.

Anyway, the point is, FF8 was a great game in its own right. The only Final Fantasy games that were really bad was 11. X-2 wasn't bad, just a bad idea itself.

Hax

Smash Champion
I like all the Mario RPGs, and Mega Man Battle Network for GBA.. that game is so underrated. =p

RPGs are meant to be played, not watched.

Anyway, the point is, FF8 was a great game in its own right. The only Final Fantasy games that were really bad was 11. X-2 wasn't bad, just a bad idea itself.
lol, but it was a movie you got to hold a controller while you watched! 10 had the same problem, but it still has my love. All right, you've convinced me that 8 was not excruciatingly bad, just not my personal cup of tea.

And I don't think anyone has ever put X-2 into better words period. Touche!

Anyone ever heard of Quest for Glory btw? probably not :p

Marty

Smash Apprentice
On the contrary, Marty. Really, I want to know what made FF8 likeable to other people.
I don't dispute that it's possible that people dislike FF8. But it was fairly evident that you voiced your opinion in such a way that was intended to "stir **** up".

I tried, no, I SLAVED to like it! I even forced myself through it to the final temple before I could stand no more. The game didn't make me feel connected to any of the characters, the music was sub-par (besides that sweet acoustic guitar song that is), and playing it really just felt like a chore to me. Final fantasy 6 was great. 7 was inspiring. I knew 8 couldn't live up to 7, but geeze! It was like getting punched in the face, twice, and the shameful thing was that it was a little girl that did it.
As was that last part.

But alright, I'll indulge your lack of empathy in this matter; I feel that FF8 had the best music of the series. Without doubt. Blue fields is one of my all time favourite pieces of music. I particularly enjoyed the gameplay, my love of the junction system is hard to ignore even today. The story was much like any other Final Fantasy, involving and interested, turning surreal near the climax. I actually don't like anyone in FF8. Truly, it was the mood of the "cinematography", the flow and pacing of events when combined with the music that sealed the deal for me.

FF7 had it's moments, but the feel just wasn't there for me.

FaTmAn2k20

Smash Journeyman
I'm of the opinion that the only good thing about FF8 was its music. Everything else was really bad, but the music may have been the best of any Final Fantasy ever.

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
Tactics Ogre, FF tactics, rebelstar tactical, all Fire Embelm stuff. I don't really like unserious rpgs (earthbound, mario) but thats prolly just me.

Top Bottom