• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your favorite RPG?

NOS-4A2

Smash Rookie
My most favorite rpg of all time is Mario RPG without a doubt. Second place would have to be FF3.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
I'd have to say that my favorite is FF3

My least favorite is definitely FF Mystic Quest. Quite possibly the worst game in any catagory. I still get shivers when I see the cartridge in my collection.

ADOM is one of the most addicting games I've ever played, also Tales of Phantasia is pretty sweet.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
chrono trigger number one. simply the best...the gameplay, the plot, the humor of every stupid line marle says...clearly the most replay value of any RPG.

number two is the game i have beaten 18 times from scratch (thats an accomplishment for me, id love to see how many times everyone else beat RPG's) is SMRPG, Legend of the Seven Stars. however, one thing that hinders the replay value is the easiness of the game. sure, i beat it 18 times, but 17 of those times i never lost a battle. in chrono trigger, i still lose sometimes if im not leveled up properly, try to play at hours when i should be sleeping, etc.

ive never played any of the final fantasy games...where do i start? lol...what systems do i need, which games should i start with, and such.

paper mario was also a great RPG, paper mario 2 had a lot of plot twists and i just absolutely LOVED the whole concept of the glitz pit...

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Chrono Trigger - By far this leads the pack of my favorite game, not just RPG.

Earthbound - The gameplay was phenomonal. The graphics just fit the game and the story blew me away. Games don't get much more fun that this.

Seiken Densetsu 3 - If I had had a fully translated copy of this then it would be my favorite game ever. But seeing as I never got to play the whole thing it sadly doesn't make the #1 spot.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Turbos
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

'nuff said...
IMO, it was way too much like the first one. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but the plot was extremely similar. also, i dont like the damage system. an awesome move does 12 damage? pfffffffffft. unless you're an idiot at math, the battle systems in chrono trigger and SMRPG are 2123421 times better

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer

Mcfox, lemme help ya out with the pics, because pics pwn words.
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars without a doubt.

In fact, This wasn't just the best RPG ever made, but the best game ever made, (along with SSBM)

NessExclusively

Smash Apprentice
Rpg's have always been and always will be my favorite genre of game. I've played maybe 40 or 50 rpg's in my 15 years of life, for those of you counting, that's about 5 rpg's a year since I was 5 and I got my first system. And I've played a lot of good RPG's my top 5 are probably these

1: Earthbound- I loved this game, it was actually my first game that I ever played. I opened up my SNES on year christmas day, saw the Mario that came with it and Said " Wow a game" then I opened up Earthbound and immediately wanted to play no other game but this one, mainley because of the starman on the front, and the huge a$$ box it came in. Now I still play it atleast once a year, I love how it went out of the box by not being midievil and actually was sort of like earth. Plus It has the most immaganitive enemies in the game, whoever thought of Plague Rat of Doom, Scalding Cup of Coffee, New Age Retro Hippie, and Annoying Old Party Man. Was an absolute Genius. Plus the fact that the end boss didn't take hours and hours of leveling up, but just 8 simple turns to beat with prayer, that made it my number one game.

2: Super Mario RPG- Undoubtedly one of the best games I've ever played. I borrowed this from one of my friends in Green Bay right before I moved to Missouri, and I'm sorry for that kid who never got his game back, of course I got my cummupins to when I foolishly borrowed it to another kid who never returned it to me. But in the few games that I did manage to play it I loved it. It was my first encounter with the ability to change which characters I wanted to play with, that I didn't have to use the same 4 over and over again. Plus it goes right up there because of the boss that resembled the Power rangers, you know the one I'm talking about. This is definately my second favorate game of all time.

3: Lufia and the Foretress of Doom- contrary to popular belief I liked the first one better than it's Prequell that came out later. Probably because it was the first one I played. It was the longest RPG that I had ever played and I loved every second of it. I've forgotten the tunes to the Second lufia, but the first one still rings in my head frequently. Plus I never understood why they named the second one Lufia, It didn't have lufia in it, the closest thing it had to lufia was Erim, and I don't consider that the same.

4: Final Fantasy X- dear lord if you want a game that will rip your heart out at the same time that you our having the time of your life than this is the game for you. I literally CRIED in the last scene when Tidus goes right through Yuna, because all the time I was hoping, It's not true he's not really just a dream, He's real. Plus I liked how your characters were not exclusive to one class, I went all the way around the board with all of my characters, Lulu was dealing 10000 + damage with her mog attack, and Auron was using Ultima like a pro. That also went along with me controlling my playing stile which I like.

5: Tales Of Symphonia- this game is almost synonomous in liking to Kingdom Hearts but it barely edges it out. I like this game because It lets me control my combos, I am a traditionist who likes turn based battling, doesn't get boring to me one bit, but I liked this game because once again it let me control my teams fighting style. Plus it's semi-multiplayer, meaning that If my friends want we can go through a game where we can all be one character and play together, which I think is a good thing. and it has what I think to be one of the best story lines and plots in the RPG world.

Those are my top 5 Nothing that anybody says or does will make me change My mind in any way, except when a new game comes
out.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey guys do you know how much it would be to pick up an SNES and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars???

I love this game and used to have a SNES but sold it and might get an SNES again just for this game!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

:cool:

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Plus it goes right up there because of the boss that resembled the Power rangers, you know the one I'm talking about.
Heh heh, you mean teh AXEM RANGERS!

Hey guys do you know how much it would be to pick up an SNES and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars???
Truly, I don't know, but who cares how much it is, buy it!

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
Originally posted by QDVS

I love this game and used to have a SNES but sold it and might get an SNES again just for this game!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Find it on ebay. It shouldn't matter how much it costs because it's so freaking awesome!

If you do well in mario RPG, try Chrono Trigger. it's harder, and not mario themed, but nonetheless super awesome. The next smash should have an RPG as its one player mode instead of this classic/adventure/all star garbage.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah I know Chrono Trigger is great and I checked ebay and amazon...the cheapest I could get them for would be 30 for each!!!

But I want them in decent condition so I am willing to pay around 40 or so each!!!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by thedocsalive
The next smash should have an RPG as its one player mode instead of this classic/adventure/all star garbage.
Yeah only that would be the dumbest idea ever.

Just to be on topic... I like Golden Sun 2, Fire Emblem, Tales of Symphonia, and all the usual popular ones everyone mentions (CT, Earthbound). Yeah.
If the next SSB replaces the normal 1p modes with an RPG I'm going to kill myself. Actually replaces "myself" with "Hal."

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Topic... topic.... ah!

Baten Kaitos (very underrated I think)
The Legend of Dragoon
Golden Sun/Golden Sun 2 (good taste JMD)
Fire Emblem (6)
FFVII, FFX

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by JediMasterYoda98
Yeah only that would be the dumbest idea ever.

No way that would be an awesome idea. Only instead of one or the other, it should have the RPG mode and the original modes.

And now for something completely random... ...GO JOHNNY!!!11!!!

The_Great_Demon

Smash Apprentice
FFVII(best rpg ever ever ver in life)
FFVIX (i dont know the ending is simply amazing plus the story is just awsome)
hum...what else have i played i know ive done more
ill put more once i think of em

P.S.: does diablo 2 count as a rpg??

Edit: Lunar series omg this thhing is so tight graphics arent the best but the drawings are amazing and the story is raw.
FFX was ok actually it was raw

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
...raw? wtf does that mean?

Oh yeah, and FFVII is horrible.

Go play Chrono Trigger or something. *shoos you*

Corin

Smash Lord
people are going to hurt me or something for saying this, but Chrono Cross is definately one of my favourite rpg's, I really don't understand what people find so bad about it x_o
then again I never played chrono trigger, though I've heard it was confusing.

in addition to CC, Tales of Symphonia, I loved the animation for the opening sequence and the graphics throughout, detailed characters, good backgrounds, good setting and battle system, Tales was and is amazing *going on fourth or fifth time through it* >.>

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by JediMasterYoda98
...raw? wtf does that mean?

Oh yeah, and FFVII is horrible.

Go play Chrono Trigger or something. *shoos you*
Nothing says fanboy like shooing another fanboy to direct him to another overrated game.

Things that I enjoyed:
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
FFT
Fire Emblem series
FF3, 6, 7, 9, X, and X-2.
Vagrant Story
Bahamut Lagoon
Live-a-Live
TO:LUCT

Things that might actually be a runner for best RPG ever:
FFT
Fire Emblem 4 and 5
Vagrant Story
TO:LUCT

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by loserlad89
dude, my all time favorite RPG is FF8. the plot, characters, and graphics, and cutscenes were all amazing. There should be a sequel. how can you make a sequel to the horrible FFX and not FF8. A lot of people probably wont agree with me but thats my opinion and im entitled to it so poop on u.
Why I disagree with you:
Rinoa's a *****.
The plot was weakly written.
The characters fit into 3 categories: Angst ridden teen, Idiot, and Does Not Talk.
Rinoa is insecure and requires attention like a 6 year old boy with ADD.
The graphics? WTF?
The cutscenes looked nice, but really served no purpose except to lead up to a really stupid minigame.
I ****ing hate Rinoa.
Oh, don't forget how much junctioning sucked.
Ultmecia sucked, because time compression is the ****tiest plan ever. A universe where only she exists? What's she going to do? Steal cokes from the coke machine?

Koopita

Smash Rookie
2 words: Chrono Trigger
chrono trigger will always be my favorite rpg and one of my fav. videogames ever!

Also other rpgs which I really liked....

Tales of symphonia
Baten Kaitos(excellent music but ct´s better)
Paper Mario
Paper Mario 2
and Pokemon colloseum...yeah right

QTMcWhiskers

Smash Rookie
1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Secret of Mana (when you have 2 friends to play it with)
5. Final Fantasy X

There's my top 5.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oooh, this one's tricky for me...

Paper Mario: 1000-Year Door
Mario+Luigi: Superstar Saga
Paper Mario
Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars
Pokemon (General)
Final Fantasy 7
Tales of Symphonia
Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger

Those are the ones I've played the most, I'm thinkin', so I'd guess those are the ones I like the most. 150 hours of Superstar Saga and Paper Mario (a piece) just ain't right. I'm a freak. If Square did another Mario RPG, I'd probably disappear from the face of the planet for a month straight.

Um...I'm guessing that the Zeldas don't count, right? If they did, I'd add Majora's Mask up there, too. I think it's the best Zelda game ever made (as a GAME, people). I mean, obviously, Ocarina of Time was revolutionary, and it set the ideal Zelda atmosphere, but Majora's Mask definitely is a deeper, more complex game. Too bad it's the one least played of the whole series.

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
QDVS said:
I totally agree about Majora's Mask being veyr underrated....it is my favorite of the Zelda series and one of my favorite games period!!!

:colorful:
The reason people rated it so harshly is because the time travel system SUCKED ***.

OH **** GUYS I JUST FAILED A DUNGEON BECAUSE I RAN OUT OF TIME AND THE WORLD WILL ASLPLODE T_T

That was so annoying.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well I found the system innovative and original!!!

I also liked seeing how many things I could get done in the 3 days (side quests, dungeons, etc.)!!!

I only had a problem once with not having enough time and that was my own fault for doing too many side quests!!!

:colorful:

AC

Smash Journeyman
Chris II said:
Why I disagree with you:
The plot was weakly written.
Horrendously so. Just like all the other FF's...

"Oh we knew each other as kids but the GF's made us forget!"

Left field.

Fallout2 > any FF.

Chris II

Smash Journeyman
AC said:
Horrendously so. Just like all the other FF's...

"Oh we knew each other as kids but the GF's made us forget!"

Left field.

Fallout2 > any FF.
The FF series is overrated. When people think of Squaresoft(not Enix, because they, you know, don't ***** out a single series in every possible way), they should think of Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, and FFT, not the unrealistic FF crap.

...although I have to say, the series has been improving a lot since FF9.

Hawkeyes

Smash Cadet
Well here are mine:

1.) Paper Mario
2.) Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
3.) Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4.) Mysical Ninja: Starring Goemon
5.) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6.) Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
7.) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
8.) Earthbound
9.) Tales of Symphonia
10.) Baten Kaitos
11.) Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
12.) Pokemon Ruby/Emerald/Sapphire
13.) Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
14.) Final Fantasy 6
15.) Final Fantasy 9

I have yet to complete Chrono Trigger (I just got Robo and it was a rom) so I hope to complete it and add it somewhere in my list when I download it with the Revolution.

mcpon

Smash Journeyman

My favorite RPG is Kingdom Hearts.
I just like it when a game brings together all of the characters of a franchise into a single adventurous experience. Kinda like SSB Melee.

Top Bottom