• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your favorite RPG?

NukeA6

Smash Master
Older Consoles-Chrono Trigger

Newer Consoles-Final Fantasy X

-Sonic_7-

Smash Rookie
3rd: Paper Mario
2nd: Skies of Arcadia
1st: Gothic(the most overlooked PC RPG ever, yet everyone who has play it loves it)

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
alright my topic is still going.

anyways, im looking for the Secert of Mania which one of my buddies said was good. im also looking for chrono trigger and ff 2 and 3. i have not been able to find super mario rpg but im still looking.

on another note, Earthbound is not meant to be some great RPG with this intense battle system of epic proptions. The music is ok, the battle system is not as detailed as smrpg but you still pick your attacks and just becasue it doesnt show your character doing them doesnt mean its boring. The real keys to Earthbound is the story and how hard it was for the time it came out. Earthbound came out a long time before mario RPG and if it had come out after it most likely would have been a lot better in the battle area and graphics but i think earthbound is great if you can understand that the battle system and graphic are not every thing thatt makes an RPG.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
I have never successfully beaten Secret of Mana. It is a great game that deserves to be bought... That is... if you can find it. Its one of Squares lost gems, and is among the rarest RPG's on the Back Market. (Yes, BACK market, meaning the copies are no longer packaged and given to Babbages.) Also among this list are Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger.

My favorite RPG's are as follows though.

Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 9
Breath of Fire 2
Breath of Fire 3
Secret of Mana
Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Golden Sun
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lotis

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Well I can say I was shocked to see that Grandia 2 made no one's list. Grandia 2 is MY favourite RPG for the following reasons.

1) Storyline: IMO, it's just awesome. It's so good, it has everything in it, and there are lots of shocking plot twists.

2) Characters: You get to know the characters so well, it seems as if they are people you know. I REALLY like the characters in this game.

3) Battle System: Best RPG battle system hands down. I mean, for a turn based RPG, it can't get much better than this.

If anyone here has a PS2 or Dreamcast, BUY this game! In my opinion, this is the best RPG ever released. It's just plain awesome. (The PS2 one has more cinematics).

SWEET GAME!

Smashman

Smash Champion
Portland, Connecticut, U.S.A., Earth, Milky Way Ga
hawaiianbum, you biasing fool. u said SMRPG was the worst rpg ever made, when you haven't even played it. You just said that piss me off, cuz I dissed EarthBound. So what if I didn't like EarthBound. Does that give you the right to bash my opinions. I mean, c'mon.:mad:

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
Smashman if you read a later post i said i was going to retry SMRPG and see if i missed something. I admite that i played it a long time ago and may not remeber it as well i think i do but i did play it for a good solid week and i remeber i thought it was pretty bad. Im sorry if i offeneded you but thats just my opinion like you said about earthbound. ANyways ill retry SMRPG and see if its good. I offical take back what i said about SMRPG being the worst RPG ever made.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
Well Craftstar, SNES does have the best RPGs, so of course most people are going to be using them as examples.

IceClimersrule14

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Smashman
In a way, SSB:M is an RPG. You choose your character, and go to any stage. You attack, then opponents attack, then you attack, etc. I made this up myself.
actually i dont like to let my opponents attack me, they usually dont have a chance to.

Simpson

Smash Apprentice
I'm not much of a BIG rpg fan, but I did enjoy golden sun and final fantasy 10. I plan on buying final fantasy crytsal chronicles for GCN, and golden sun 2.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Final Fantasy 9, the characters were molded flawlessly, the effects during summons were amazing, the music suited every event, the twisted storyline...FF9 has the seeds of a winner planted in it. I honestly cried at the ending...

Whoever said EB had the best storyline clearly needs to open his/her eyes, and play any Square RPG on the market. EB's storyline was mediocre, at best, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a great game. The npcs were truly memorable, the comedy touches truly added to the expeirence. My only beef? The battle engine. Ugh, this thing could have been designed in RPG Maker, however, the baddie stills were detailed and fun to look at.

Golden Sun is highly overrated, don't even let me begin. The music was pretty good, no FF material here, but nonetheless, still decent. The graphics may have been shiny, but gameplay is much more important. The game relied one using heavy offense, hardly any defensive magic. A good deal of the ideas were copied from FF(Ragnarok, anyone?) It was like the RPG for RPG n00bs, and it caught them like fly paper ctaches a fly. This game was incredibly boring, and the concept was nothing new.

Mario RPG, like Golden Sun, attracts players who don't know guff about an RPG, but, unlike Golden Sun, Mario RPG was a truly memorable expeirence. The characters, unlike PM, actually interacted with eachother. The humor was kept to a limit, the jokes didn't hit as hard as EB's, but they proved to be funny. The boss battles were varied, and the regular baddies were awesome, and had a great deal of animation. The game kept me so hooked, I probably replayed it 7+ times, more than any other game. But the emotional impact wasn't as high as FF9's...Definetly second on my list.

A reminder to fellow posters, please refrain from simply posting your favorite RPG, the posts get repitive very quickly, and may lead to off topic discussions, Smashman's previous post is a perfect example. Explaining why you like a certain RPG, or why you don't like a certain RPG, keeps the topic away from naught old spam.

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for your opinion shy guy but i would have to say i disagree with EB story line being bad. I admit its not as serious as most RPGS but its still has twist,characters that come back for more, and strange things that where very unecepected. The storyline may not be as serious a FF or Mario Rpg but its still pretty good for when it came out.

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
ehh, sure i liked almost every rpg mostly final fantasy seris* but 9 wasnt my favorite due to it being kinda easy. I would have to say 7 and 5 since you can customize any character you want. X was pretty good for beginners and i just beat yunalesca, but 7 was my favorite rpg of all time.

King Genius XIII

Smash Lord
Earth Bound is not only the best RPG ever, it's also the best game ever, period. It has a great story, great characters, hilarious attacks ("New Age Retro Hippie used the toothbrush, New Age Retro Hippie's teeth went shiny" or something like that...).

Lanky_F

Smash Ace
My favorite RPG game is Paper mario: great story, great stages, great characters,good items/badges ,good songs I love that game

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Turn Based=dumb and repetitive.

Real Fighting Based(or something like that) is way better IMO, not so repetitive as Turn Based, but still it's better than that.Exceptions are Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, the Lufia series and some others.My Top 3 RPG's of all time(for now):

1.Tales of Phantasia
2.Secret of Mana
3.Seiken Densetsu 3(Secret of Mana 3)

All three of them could be played on the SNES, two of them never made it to Europe.In the beginning Secret of Mana just blow away any RPG IMO but after i downloaded the english translated Tales of Phantasia ROM i was impressed, very impressed.It blowed away Secret of Mana with his awesome Graphics, Sounds, Magic, Battle Style, Music and Story Line.Everything is good in this game!And it's bigger than Secret of Mana to...To bad most people haven't played this game....

Chrono Trigger was good, but not one of the best.I like Super Mario RPG more than Chrono Trigger.

And you know what really sucks, i owned Secret of Mana but someone stole it from me!Same for my beauty NES game Megaman 3, who were both very rare games....*sniff*(i'm serious this is not funny)

firaga01

Smash Lord
my personal favourites:
  1. Final Fantasy 8 (IMO, the best 1. Go Bahamut!)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. Final Fantasy 9
  4. Metroid Prime (IMO,u control Samus, u get upgrades, therefore, one may consider this an RPG/Adventure game)
  5. Zelda: A Link to The Past

And, I totally agree with Shy Guy. Square makes the best RPGs ever. With such an intricate storyline, battle sequences, weapons, and plot, the games are bound to be instant-sellers.

For crying out loud, they made the Disney Characters become kinda kewl! Not THAT is the work of prodigees!

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
this topic went away for a while but I hope it comes back for an other fight. I havent played Kingdom Hearts but it looks good. And what new RPGS do you members like such as Kingdom Hearts?

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
1. Earthbound

Music: 10/10
O_O BEST.MUSIC.EVER. This music is SSOOOOO w00t w00t-ish! The music so pretty, yet emotional, yet funny, yet calm. It's THE best music soundtrack I have ever heard! (Closesly followed by Metroid and Kid Icarus, of course.)

Graphics: 9/10
Okay, you know what... for this game, I'm basinging it on what suits the game... not how impresive the graphics are. So what, it's 2D... it's actually pretty cool! It's very cartoony and fun, and yet it's not BAD. I mean, sure... it's not as good as Super Mario RPG... well, it's better then the scene at the beggining with Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser... hehehe, that one part was SSOOO bad!

Gameplay: 10/10
Okay, this game KICKS!!! Great gameplay, and people said the battle system sucked... it don't! Just cuz you don't see yourself doesn't mean it sucks. IMO, it's fine. The game is pretty long... and it has a great plot! Good characters and powers too, along with lots and lots of humor ("Ruff Ruff! I have been possessed by the game designer.")!

Overall: 10/10
This is one sweet game. Best RPG IMO, but not like there arn't other good ones... *coughFF2coughSMRPGcoughCronoTriggercough*

Smashman

Smash Champion
Portland, Connecticut, U.S.A., Earth, Milky Way Ga
Originally posted by JediMasterYoda98
1. Earthbound

Music: 10/10
O_O BEST.MUSIC.EVER. This music is SSOOOOO w00t w00t-ish! The music so pretty, yet emotional, yet funny, yet calm. It's THE best music soundtrack I have ever heard! (Closesly followed by Metroid and Kid Icarus, of course.)

Graphics: 9/10
Okay, you know what... for this game, I'm basinging it on what suits the game... not how impresive the graphics are. So what, it's 2D... it's actually pretty cool! It's very cartoony and fun, and yet it's not BAD. I mean, sure... it's not as good as Super Mario RPG... well, it's better then the scene at the beggining with Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser... hehehe, that one part was SSOOO bad!

Gameplay: 10/10
Okay, this game KICKS!!! Great gameplay, and people said the battle system sucked... it don't! Just cuz you don't see yourself doesn't mean it sucks. IMO, it's fine. The game is pretty long... and it has a great plot! Good characters and powers too, along with lots and lots of humor ("Ruff Ruff! I have been possessed by the game designer.")!

Overall: 10/10
This is one sweet game. Best RPG IMO, but not like there arn't other good ones... *coughFF2coughSMRPGcoughCronoTriggercough*
The graphics at the beginning of the game SMRPG are just the equivalent as the rest of the game. Also, you seem to be biasing. I've played EarthBound, and really didn't understand what the greatness was. It was a good game, though.

Top Bottom