• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your favorite RPG?

PointyHammer

Smash Rookie
Vermont, North America (Or on the internet. Take y
Four words:

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. (does 2 count as a word?)

I have played just about every RPG posted here(and beat most)
and L2:EB easily tops each and every one of them. (yes, EVEN the almighty Chrono Trigger, FF series, and Mario RPG) I feel sorry for anybody who has'nt played this incredible peice of art.

I'm talking about how the entire game plays, not just the battle engine(which I give an 7 out of 10). You see, you can talk to someone up to 3 times, and they say something different EACH TIME. You could go back to the first town after getting through part of the game, and a lot of the people say a bunch of new stuff!! It's crazy I tell you, CRAZY!!:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: There are tons of anime clips in the middle of the game that you get to see during important events, the characters have voices during battle...

The level of challenge in this game is just soooo perfectly balanced. For example, you can die at your first enemy encounter easily if your not thinking about what your doing, but its fairly easy if you are...

Going through this game...how should I describe it...is a lot like reading an extremely good book.(PLEASE dont be mislead by my description of it, this game is something not to be missed) Except the boring part of it is taken out. Which make it so kick @$$!!!

And I could just go on and on about this incredible game for a while, but I'm gonna stop here.......:sleep:

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who said that Skies of arcadia was unstratigic!?

Sorry, but to the guy who said that SoA had no stratagie never played the game. Now Skies of arcadia Legends had alot of stratigic boss battles (Most of them being those hard wanted battles)
Anywho Flok, I hardly find turnbaised RPGs repetitive at all, probably because of games like the FF seires and Skies of arcadia legends. In those games you had to think out how you would attack the enemy or otherwise, take for excample ruby weapon from FF7, now you couldn't just haul off and attack him, he had a high defence! What you had to do was knock out your other teammates and wait for him to put his arms in the ground, revive the others and use hades to freeze them both, then use KotR and mimic in order to damage him.
Well that's one excample for my opinions about turn baised, now real life baised RPG's are very fun... but I find them sometimes lacking in stratagie (In Kingdom hearts you often pounded on the X button and button mashed, it did have it's stratigic side though)
Anywho here's the RPG's that I prefer above all else:

Skies of Arcadia Legends
Kingdom Hearts
Final fantasy seires
Grandia 2
Wild ARMs 3
Paper Mario
Super Mario RPG
Legend of Zelda seires (all except for those awful Phillips CD-i games)

Well I love those seires best of all, I'm personaly hoping for Kingdom Hearts 2, Skies of Arcadia 2, and FFX-2 to come out soon, because I know that those games will be top class RPG's. :shyguy: :beezo:

D

Deleted member

1. Earthbound
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy Tactics
4. Fire Emblem 4 (I don't care if it's Japanese)
5. Golden Sun

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
EarthBound...as soon as I got this game (on a rom, about a month ago) It charmed me and is now my absolute most favouritest game of all time!!!
If Nintendo doesn't release another EarthBound game I will be the first to complain.

It's weird, freaky style, not to mention the humour and music and great ideas, totally won me over and I am now a hard-core EarthBound fan. This game ruled.

Afrotaki

Gay skies today.
BRoomer
I like the Secret of Mana, the Illusion of Gaia, Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and Chrono Trigger

Matthew "Demo" Rak

Bad at Smash
Slippi.gg
Demo#0
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and Chrono Trigger are certainly favorites here :bee:

I like Phantasy Star Online too and Kingdom Hearts as well..

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
disappointment

I like Zelda: The Ocarina of Time and Super Metroid the best.

FFX would have also ranked equally but the ending was a huge disappointment for me. Those two jerks buzz off GRRR!! and Lulu aint in the next game I think. Double GRRR!

NukeA6

Smash Master
Earthbound, IMO, has got to be the most overrated game ever. People say it's the best game ever. I say it's not even close. I'll give some things though: it's a good game, got plenty of humor, and has one the best (and scariest) final bosses in all of Nintendo.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Update:I changed my TOP 3 RPG's.Here's my TOP 10:

1.Secret of Mana
2.Paper Mario
3.Super Mario RPG
4.Tales of Phantasia
5.Seiken Densetsu 3(Secret of Mana 2)
6.Illusion of Gaia
7.Secret of Evermore
8.Lufia 2:Rise of the Sinistrals
9.Final Fantasy VI(III USA)
10.Chrono Trigger

This...was hard to decide.I put the most emotional ones all the way up(sort of like the best RPG's to me, at some of them i even got some tears in my eyes...).Secret of Mana is top quality... i played it together with my brother for hours in the past(it has Multiplayer)...fighting monsters...healing each other...solving puzzles....fighting the boss while hearing the boss music...The best RPG made yet.Paper Mario was how Smashman described Super Mario RPG, emotional, but far more for me.It was pretty sad seeing this was one of the last games for the N64....Tales of Phantasia and Seiken Densetsu 3 have both great gameplay and great graphics, but not the high emotional feelings found in Secret of Mana, Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG.The rest of them are all very good, don't look suprised at the fact that i like Lufia 2 more than Final Fantasy VI or Secret of Evermore more than Chrono Trigger...it's to hard to explain.

Phillip Chanter that was your only example, Ruby Weapon?Or do you have more?Ok Real Fighting Based has the same effects as Turn Based(Magic Elements targeted on Boss, Boss get hit, Boss hits party, party heals, Boss get hit, Party MP heal, Boss hits party, party heals etc)but the battle engine in Real Fighing Based is better than Turn Based IMO.

The Legend of Zelda Serie isn't an RPG...you should look at RPG like this:RPG=Magic involved, which the Zelda's don't have.

D

Deleted member

Originally posted by NukeA6
Earthbound, IMO, has got to be the most overrated game ever. People say it's the best game ever. I say it's not even close. I'll give some things though: it's a good game, got plenty of humor, and has one the best (and scariest) final bosses in all of Nintendo.
Lol. I bet. Earthbound IS the best game ever. It has the best storyline, the best overall gameplay, is hugely addictive, and has some catchy music too. In all actuality, it has everything except good graphics. Yeah, for a late SNES game the graphics are bad, really bad. On the other hand, it aces and out-classes almost every game in every other stat.

Yeah, EB is my fav. game too, as if you couldn't tell from Ness over <

Demon_Inuyasha

Smash Rookie
Fav rpg

My favorite RPG is Final Fantasy 7. The graphics are not very good but the storyline is very good. I dont agree with shuy guy on how horrible golden sun is. I think it involves much stratigy that he has overlooked.

1.FF7
2.Kingdom Hearts
3.Phantasy Star Online
4.Skys of arcadia

quicky

Smash Ace
The Kingdom of Guardia chilling with Crono.
My top RPGs are Chrono Trigger,SMRPG,and Harvest Moon (Well it got RPG elements ).But the best one is Chrono Trigger.Is a timeless classic.It has memorable characters,top-notch graphics for the time,excellent battle engine,superb story,great sound and music.This are the elements which make a great RPG IMO.

- Remember time flows like a river.:cool:

cheeseguy

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Flok

The Legend of Zelda Serie isn't an RPG...you should look at RPG like this:RPG=Magic involved, which the Zelda's don't have.
Actually, the Zelda series does use magic. What do you think that green thing at the top left was in Link to the Past?

King Genius XIII

Smash Lord
Originally posted by NukeA6
EarthBound is overrated? If anything EarthBound is highly underrated. It got horrible reviews, sold badly, and doesn't appear in several RPG fansites. Go give your "Most Overrated Game Ever" title to a crappy game that deserves it, like GTA3 or Halo (yes, I've played them, and yes, they suck, not the worst games ever, but defenetely not as good as people say they are).

But whatever... I'm a raving EarthBound fanatic (it's the best game EVER!) I suppose everyone has their own opinions.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
And now, for MY top 5:

1st- Super Mario RPG
2nd- Secret of Mana 2 (AKA: Seiken Denstsu 3)
3rd- Secret of Mana 1
4th- Earthbound
5th- Final Fantasy 6

And that's all for today. Paper Mario would come in 6, but it's a top 5!

Silver7

Smash Cadet
The only RPG that stands out to me is Paper Mario and I haven't even bought the game!! I always rent it then bring it back and I also have a tendancy of rerenting the game because I haven't finished and beating it the next day!!!Oh well...It IS my favorite though.

CO Cheddar

Smash Cadet
My favorite RPGs are, in no particular order:

Chrono Trigger (Most perfectly perfect game ever, imo)
Earthbound
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy 6

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I am reluctant, but I say final fantasy x. The way I was emotionally tied to the characters in such a short ammount of time shows that it took some work to get the story of that quality. The leveling up and battling are intricate but have a good flow to them and it won't seem boring figuring it all out. The graphics are supreme, but could have been better as proved by some of the screen shots from FFX2. The voice acting was brilliant, worthy of hollywood. The weapons avaliable for each character while somewhat repetetive were interesting. And the thing that pushes it over the top is the blitzball- Addictive and far more entertaining that any real sport. (for those of you who don't know, blitzball is sort of an underwater soccer/football). The only flaw I can find (and this is a BIG one for fans) is the ending. I mean, what the F*** was that? I was almost heartbroken by the cliffhanger, twisted plot, make you feel like the whole thing was for nothing- confusing ending. But hopfully, that problem will be cleared up by FFX2. Dream of the fayth my ***.

Yavarice

Dreadnought
BRoomer
Come some of you people, at least say why you like whatever RPG.

For me it's still a tossup between FFIII and Chrono Trigger.

FFIII had the bigger storyline and cast along with more locales and a generally longer game with a truly insane and horrifying villain.

Chrono Trigger was more intimate with the few characters you did have and granted you different endings and a chance to replay the game with your previous party.

Both had their moments of heartstring tugs and the best music to come out of a cartridge. Both will also cost you an arm and a leg on Ebay.

I can't decide.

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think I posted in this before...

Well it can't hurt to repeat my favs!

Chrono Trigger: If you don't know what this game is, then you don't deserve to be a gamer.

FF9: I like how it turned out, it was very easy to get into, and difficult to master

Skies of Arcadia Legends: Somewhat of a sleeper hit, SoAL gave us original gameplay, spectacular battles by both ship and character, and a less teen angsty storyline!

SMRPG: First RPG I ever played, and it took me quite some time to beat it

Paper Mario: Not from squaresoft, but was great because I accually had a blast playing it! Each battle was fun, and never tedious.

That's all I've got for ya! :shyguy: :beezo:

InfiniDragon615

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by InfiniDragon615
For me, I'd say Chrono Trigger, but it shares the crown with Star Ocean 2. After those, I'd say FFVI, then FFT.
Change in the list, since I recently played Xenosaga. Awesome game. :D

-Chrono Trigger
-Star Ocean 2/FFVI (undecided)
-FF Tactics
-Xenosaga
-Secret of Mana

Top Bottom