• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Quick-Capturing Commando - Sami for SSB4! (Celebrating V-G Day! Hope marches on!)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Man, I don't want Sami to inherit Snake's moveset. There's more to Snake's moveset than being military-based; it's a whole giant tribute to Metal Gear Solid. Everything right down to the weight of Snake is there to replicate the feel of playing MGS using Snake. He's character who is designed to require patience and awareness of your surrounding to use trap methods so you can zone your opponent, and that's the kind of thinking you do in MGS.

Advance Wars is more of a game where aggressive-defense tactics are preferred, where taking the first hit gives you a big advantage instead of just waiting and where the little hits can be more valuable than the big ones in the long run. If we get a character, I'd like if that translates to a moveset in Smash.

That said though, I would't be too bummed if we don't. Intelligent Systems saying that they're "thinking of the next Advance Wars" is more than enough for me. I really want a new game at this point lol. For now I'll just wait for Project STEAM.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Man, I don't want Sami to inherit Snake's moveset. There's more to Snake's moveset than being military-based; it's a whole giant tribute to Metal Gear Solid. Everything right down to the weight of Snake is there to replicate the feel of playing MGS using Snake. He's character who is designed to require patience and awareness of your surrounding to use trap methods so you can zone your opponent, and that's the kind of thinking you do in MGS.

Advance Wars is more of a game where aggressive-defense tactics are preferred, where taking the first hit gives you a big advantage instead of just waiting and where the little hits can be more valuable than the big ones in the long run. If we get a character, I'd like if that translates to a moveset in Smash.

That said though, I would't be too bummed if we don't. Intelligent Systems saying that they're "thinking of the next Advance Wars" is more than enough for me. I really want a new game at this point lol. For now I'll just wait for Project STEAM.
Who said anything about Sami inheriting a direct-clone moveset of Snake? My idea is taking the BARE BASIC idea of Snake's moveset, modern military, with a couple of moves, and just making it fit Advance Wars. Switch moves out that don't work (Snake's Up+B), keep moves that do work (Down+B, maybe grenade), and make the weight/speed fit Sami better. Snake was a slow heavyweight; I'd imagine Sami would be much faster.

I don't see it just being a "carbon copy clone," just something resembling Snake's moveset for those who liked Snake, but still updated so it fits the character and franchise. I mean, even Ganondorf's moves were altered slightly so they at least fit him. The fact that Snake likely isn't coming back, coupled with his moveset being very popular, is where the whole idea comes from. Advance Wars is the only thing "modern military" that can really pick it up. I think it could work well, but again, its updated to fit Advance Wars and Sami, not just carbon-copied off of Snake and shoehorned onto a new character. :p

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I supported her for brawl, but sadly I find it extremly hard she would make in the gameg, even if advance wars is a franchise that have stuck with nintendo from the friggin nes days.

Regarding moveset, I always imagine her as a high movility, light, rushdown projectile character. (Which fits a lot with her playstyle, at least the advance/ds games that i've played) it would have some paralelles with snake but not so much, in fact it would have more paralleles with what looks like megaman is going to be.

and Andy and Max are friggin boring design wise. Sammy certainly is THE option, (Unless something from Days of Ruin) And i wouldn't mind if her machine gun gets replaced by some sort of machinegun beam laser. Advance Wars isn't a game that wants to be a realistic millitary shooter anyway.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
AW was popular enough in the West to justify inclusion in Smash. The real problem is Japan, where Nintendo somehow managed to kill the Wars series completely after like 6 Japan-only releases.

Any AW character would be like Little Mac in terms of the popularity dynamics, except they don't quite have Mac's popularity over here. It's a rough situation.

Still, after this most recent video I'm hoping Sakurai can find room to fit an AW rep in. Seems only fair if AW's sister series is getting 4(!) characters!

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Still, after this most recent video I'm hoping Sakurai can find room to fit an AW rep in. Seems only fair if AW's sister series is getting 4(!) characters!
5 total in SSB history. What's AW gotta do to get some recognition around here?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Sami's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, Snake :substitute: with a few mechanics updated to fit Advance Wars. I don't think she'd be a DIRECT clone of Snake, in fact, I imagine she'd be a lot faster and lighter, but still similar to Snake as a whole.

Perhaps Ranger/Speedster. :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It also helps that, if they potentially do bring back Snake as DLC later, Sami would be best being a lightweight version of him so they'd still be different. If he isn't added back as DLC, she'd represent that fighting style very well, and finally add some Wars representation into Smash Bros.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Sami's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Bruising Ranger, since I personally picture Sami as a much faster Snake (No, I do NOT mean she is an outright clone.) with a few different weapons at her disposal.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't know if Sami should be a zoner. Sami relies on fast-moving transports and lightning-quick one-turn capture blitzes in AW, which seem to suggest a fast, aggressive character. It'd feel weird if she was all about keepaway. She does have unpenalized indirects which work well with infantry spam, though, so I suppose keepaway might fit.

Sami would definitely need new specials, even if she keeps Snake's normals to an extent. Snake's specials don't fit AW's goofy atmosphere at all.

Last edited:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
I don't know if Sami should be a zoner. Sami relies on fast-moving transports and lightning-quick one-turn capture blitzes in AW, which seem to suggest a fast, aggressive character. It'd feel weird if she was all about keepaway. She does have unpenalized indirects which work well with infantry spam, though, so I suppose keepaway might fit.

Sami would definitely need new specials, even if she keeps Snake's normals to an extent. Snake's specials don't fit AW's goofy atmosphere at all.
I disagree, Advance Wars is goofy yes, but it's also about war, a dark theme in itself. This aspect of AW was explored in Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin. Sami does carry a gun in her portrait, something Sakurai thought was too child-unfriendly to use in Snakes moveset. Using Snake's C4, Mines and Rocket Launchers would not be out of character for Sami. The Normals would be more strange, because they are made to fit Snakes sneaky character, and are taken directly from the Metal Gear games.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I disagree, Advance Wars is goofy yes, but it's also about war, a dark theme in itself. This aspect of AW was explored in Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin. Sami does carry a gun in her portrait, something Sakurai thought was too child-unfriendly to use in Snakes moveset. Using Snake's C4, Mines and Rocket Launchers would not be out of character for Sami. The Normals would be more strange, because they are made to fit Snakes sneaky character, and are taken directly from the Metal Gear games.
Yeah, I agree. I think that Sami could use the weapons themselves, perhaps slightly more cartoony, and use a sped-up fighting style compared to Snake since he's very slow and sneaky. Sami wouldn't need to have that stealth mechanic so she could be a bit faster and lighter as a whole.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Advance Wars is about war, but Days of Ruin was the only game in the series which didn't sport a cheery, quasi-cartoony aesthetic, and Sami does not appear in Days of Ruin. It just wouldn't feel like Advance Wars if the rep only had special ops moves like Snake. An AW rep needs some wacky stuff like Powers, capture stomps, unit summons, silo missiles, etc, to really capture the feeling of the series.

If AW gets a rep, it deserves one who's intended to represent the Wars series as faithfully as possible. Feels like it would do the series a bit of a disservice to make the Wars rep effectively a reskinned Snake, no? I'd be giddy with any kind of playable character, but if AW's gonna get a rep it ought to be done right, from the ground up.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Advance Wars is about war, but Days of Ruin was the only game in the series which didn't sport a cheery, quasi-cartoony aesthetic, and Sami does not appear in Days of Ruin. It just wouldn't feel like Advance Wars if the rep only had special ops moves like Snake. An AW rep needs some wacky stuff like Powers, capture stomps, unit summons, silo missiles, etc, to really capture the feeling of the series.

If AW gets a rep, it deserves one who's intended to represent the Wars series as faithfully as possible. Feels like it would do the series a bit of a disservice to make the Wars rep effectively a reskinned Snake, no? I'd be giddy with any kind of playable character, but if AW's gonna get a rep it ought to be done right, from the ground up.
Unfortunately, I don't think AW is popular enough to get a character done "right" and "from the ground up." At best, we'll get a character to replace Snake with a few quirky elements added to the moveset so its closer to Advance Wars, but until Advance Wars becomes a more established franchise that actually sells they're not going to get that kind of treatment.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Unfortunately, I don't think AW is popular enough to get a character done "right" and "from the ground up." At best, we'll get a character to replace Snake with a few quirky elements added to the moveset so its closer to Advance Wars, but until Advance Wars becomes a more established franchise that actually sells they're not going to get that kind of treatment.
I doubt AW will get a rep at all, but in the miraculous event that we did get one, I don't think Sakurai would make the character basically a reskin. Grafting one character's moveset onto another from a different series probably won't represent the new series that well, and it doesn't seem his style, especially since SSB4 appears to be taking pains to bring characters even closer to their source material where possible.

Wars is quite an established series, seeing as it stretches back to the NES. It just doesn't sell very well. In terms of pedigree, though, the series is very deserving of some kind of rep, even if it's just a grunt from the original Famicon Wars. Sakurai's also faithfully rendered other series that don't have much widespread appeal or sales, such as Mother, in the past, so Wars isn't doomed to clone status even if we do get a character.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I was wondering. What would be Sami's Alternate Costume?
Advance Wars has a preexisting palette swap system, which makes alternate colors quite easy. As for costumes, though, that's a good question! I'd love some kind of Black Hole uniform as an alt costume.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Advance Wars has a preexisting palette swap system, which makes alternate colors quite easy. As for costumes, though, that's a good question! I'd love some kind of Black Hole uniform as an alt costume.
I don't think Sami would really wear it. Black Hole is the main enemy in the Advance War games and knowing Sami she would rather die than be associated with it.

It would look cool, but I don't think it fits Sami's character.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Sami's outfits should be Orange Star, Blue Moon, Green Earth, Yellow Comet and Black Hole as alternate colors swaps, with a Nell, Andy or Max as costume swaps.

.n_n.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sami's outfits should be Orange Star, Blue Moon, Green Earth, Yellow Comet and Black Hole as alternate colors swaps, with a Nell, Andy or Max as costume swaps.

.n_n.
Andy's clothes would look really goofy on her and she could use Max's clothes as a Parachute.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't think Sami would really wear it. Black Hole is the main enemy in the Advance War games and knowing Sami she would rather die than be associated with it.

It would look cool, but I don't think it fits Sami's character.
Unfortunately, other CO outfits won't fit her character either, although they would be awesome. I would encourage you to reconsider that, though; remember, all AW games have official Black Hole color swaps for all the COs!

The other option would be a dress uniform to replace her combat fatigues and tank top, which would be pretty neat too. That'd be close to a Nell costume without actually making her look like Nell, which is probably where Sakurai would draw the line.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, other CO outfits won't fit her character either, although they would be awesome. I would encourage you to reconsider that, though; remember, all AW games have official Black Hole color swaps for all the COs!

The other option would be a dress uniform to replace her combat fatigues and tank top, which would be pretty neat too. That'd be close to a Nell costume without actually making her look like Nell, which is probably where Sakurai would draw the line.
How about some combat gear like Special Ops units wear? Or, if it was stated earlier, the Suit that Samus wears in Metroid Other M?:

Or possibly something like this ^, I think that would fit Sami's attire.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, special ops gear would fit her well! Some kind of different uniform would definitely make for a good alternate costume.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I didn't even know Sami had a support thread here. Add me to the supporters, she would be the perfect candidate, if Advance Wars gets a fighter in Smash!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hm. Seems not we have one. :(
It's unlikely, but keep the faith! AW probably has a better chance getting a Smash rep now than at any other time, given how all of the big series are well-represented as of Brawl.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Still hoping for Sami in SSB4. I've also been supporting her pre-Brawl, she would be a refreshing inclusion.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Can you add me to the support list, please? I'll take Andy and/or Sami! (However, even though I just ever so slightly prefer Andy over Sami more, I'm happy to have either as a playable character. Heck, I'll take both at the same time, if they decide to go that route!:p)

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Hey guys, just here to say I support Sami for Smash 4! I used to not care much about Advanced Wars because I had the game when I was a lot younger and I thought strategy games were boring (my brother was the one who played it a lot and I mostly played it in 2 player mode with him) but the reason I got into Fire Emblem Awakening a year ago was because of how similar it was to Advanced Wars and it was easy for me to get into and I loved that game. So now I've begun to appreciate the Advanced Wars games a lot more but unfortunately I'm too lazy to go back and play the games for now. But anyway, I'd like to join you in your support for Sami! An Advanced Wars character would be awesome and Sami is by far the coolest one! Well, maybe Sensei might be the coolest but he's an old fart! Sami for Smash 4! :)

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Added a supporter list! Let me know if you're not on there.

Can you add me to the support list, please? I'll take Andy and/or Sami! (However, even though I just ever so slightly prefer Andy over Sami more, I'm happy to have either as a playable character. Heck, I'll take both at the same time, if they decide to go that route!:p)
Andy and Sami would have made a great tag character, and with perfect justification!

Hey guys, just here to say I support Sami for Smash 4! I used to not care much about Advanced Wars because I had the game when I was a lot younger and I thought strategy games were boring (my brother was the one who played it a lot and I mostly played it in 2 player mode with him) but the reason I got into Fire Emblem Awakening a year ago was because of how similar it was to Advanced Wars and it was easy for me to get into and I loved that game. So now I've begun to appreciate the Advanced Wars games a lot more but unfortunately I'm too lazy to go back and play the games for now. But anyway, I'd like to join you in your support for Sami! An Advanced Wars character would be awesome and Sami is by far the coolest one! Well, maybe Sensei might be the coolest but he's an old fart! Sami for Smash 4! :)
Lash is the coolest, but sadly we'll never get her. :p

Top Bottom