• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Quick-Capturing Commando - Sami for SSB4! (Celebrating V-G Day! Hope marches on!)

Hong

The Strongest
Thanks for the memo. Dropped off my opinion. ( ' ▽ ')/

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I was hoping to find Yo s h i tshu (Smashboards is censoring his name, haha) Hirano, the composer for Advance Wars, on the SSB4 composer list. Ah well!

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I'm afraid things are not looking any better for our heroine.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, people working on the soundtrack make arrangements more than compositions. Listen to the new multi-man music and tell me there's not a Soulcalibur vibe in it! :awesome:

Also it looks like there won't be songs ripped directly from games, on the 3DS at least.

Hong

The Strongest
Well, Purpose on the demo sounded as-is, aside from some cropping to reduce its length.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Never did get to show my support pre-3DS release, but I can now! Really pulling for Sami as the AW character...or Sturm.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Yes we must support Sami for DLC! She's got a good shot if she uses some of Snake's moves. We must fight hard on this one Sami might be low on Sakurai's radar so we must be heard and get a voice. So far no newcomers have been confirmed for DLC, but veterans have. Even if Sami is planned for DLC I doubt she'd be first priority seeing as some vets like Wolf still need to get in.
DLC
first priority: Mewtwo, Wolf, Ice Climbers?,Lucas
second priority: Newcomers.
Sami could be a hybrid of Snake and have some Advance Wars inspired moves too. the hard part is just getting the word out. We must fight for Sami ! SAMI FOR DLC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some one must make a 3D module of Sami to further gain support.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I think Sami could adopt some of Sanke's moves and get a few original moves too. An example would be new grab animation and attacks, she could grab with one hand and knee the opponent when pressing A. Dthrow could throw the opponent to the ground. fthrow could have her pick up the opponent and throw them. bthrow could have her throw the opponent over her shoulder. and uthrow could have her launch her opponent upwards.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not confident in Sami honestly. I'm more confident in Sami for Project M. But as this is a popularity contest now Sami has a huge upwards battle to fight. (Granted, Sami might be able to beat Andy...)

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
How would people feel if Sami and Andy shared a spot on the roster as alts? Would you prefer the represent the wars series as a whole or just their specific characters in the game and not be costume swaps ala WFT or the Pikmin captains?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
If possible, being separated would be better.

On the other hand, a "commander" moveset summoning units fit them both. They doesn't seem too different physically too.

loonieboy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-8143-1971
I can see Sami using the attacks of the soldiers in the Advance wars series for move set as a Commander in the Battlefield

This is my vision of her move set.

SPECIALS:
Neutral B : Fires a rocket with a launcher (like the Mech Soldiers)

Side B: Stationary Artillery unit Appears next to Sami and the Attack Arrow* (player controlled like Zelda's Fire) goes in a direction across the screen. when the player releases,the Artillery is fired to that area.

Down B: Summons a Infantry Unit that attacks with multiple hits. (like the assist trophy)

Up B: Unsure about this one... I was thinking - Summoning a transport helicopter unit as she hangs from a ladder on the side of the copter (like in the action movies). She can shoot projectiles while hanging, but can be knocked off the ladder, or the helicopter can be destroyed (Like Villagers Balloons)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tilts:

Neutral A: a short ranged pistol whip that can be an AAA combo

Up Tilt: An upward Swing using a rifle

Down Tilt: Swings a pistol very low, possibly tripping the opponent

Side Tilt: A short range Pistol fire that can be angled (similar to villager's slingshot)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smash:

F Smash: summons a Tank unit , Charges up and Fires. The longer the charge, the longer the range.

Up Smash: Not very sure about this one either. Maybe you can help.

D Smash: Similar to F Smash, But summons 2 Medium Tank Units on both sides.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just my idea. As you can see, i didn't even think of her aerials yet.

*Attack Arrow: (the arrow that shows the units movement in the Advance Wars Games)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I voted for Sami today.

Maybe Andy is more legitimate, but as long as I give some Advance Wars in the poll, it shows the serie popularity!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I voted for both Sami and Andy.

Andy makes more sense as the solo character if there's only one added, since he is the Main Protagonist, but Sami is much more awesome and I want her in so much.

Ideally we'd get Andy, Sami and Sturm all in (and personally I'd love an Eagle and Grit), and I've even had an idea of how they could be clones with decently different movesets based on their AW strengths, but I'm campaigning most for Andy sorry. It just seems like he'd be the easier option to convince Nintendo to put in. You all have my support though!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Would Sami's rifle violate Sakurai's "no realistic looking guns" rule?
Who know what weapons that would be given to her- I mean they found a work around with Snake, and unlike Snake she isn't as directly tied to guns. Advance Wars is a turn based tactical game where the actual shooting isn't realistic and the moveset would probably mirror that. And if they really want weapons than like E&H said there is the bazooka, etc.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Copying my post from the Andy thread on my idea for an AW move set. I describe Andy's as his would be the basic all round one, but I discuss the modifications to make it more suitable for Sami at the bottom.

"On another note, my brief idea for an Andy[Sami] moveset:

All tilts, aerials, smashes, jab and dash are just done with wrenches[fists?kicks?whatever].

Grabs will be assisted by infantry units with a projectile follow up, mechs for a small explosive rocket on forward and back throws, regular infantry will just shoot a line to assist on down and up throws.

Neutral Special: Hyper Repair/Hyper Upgrade: Andy charges his CO stars by doing damage (only himself, not his units), if at 3 stars he can use hyper repair (healing himself), if at 6 he'll use hyper upgrade (also healing and proving armour of some sort for the next few moves). [Obviously Sami's would be Double Time and Victory March, charging quite quickly and providing excellent speed boost, with a bonus damage/smash when using victory march, kind of like Shulk's monado arts but without downsides since you have to charge them]

Side Special: Command ____: charges a unit in similar fashion to Pacman's Neutral B, going from recon up to super tank (traveling along the ground like a koopa, but not turning ad ledges). pressing B while it's in travel will cause it to fire, doing a small blast forward and then disappearing.

Up special: Battle copters: a pair of copters appear above Andy[Sami]'s head, if B is pressed again he'll grab onto them for a fairly controlled recovery (similar to Olimar and Villager), if not they just fly slightly upwards (platform level) and then forwards firing occasionally.

Down special: Artillery: places an artillery unit behind Andy[Sami] that starts charging up for a projectile attack. This attack does an arc similar to Mii Gunners grenade, but slightly taller and shorter. If done in a smash input then the artillery will be replaced by rockets, that have a lower but longer arc but also takes longer to charge up.

All units created by these attacks have health of varying strength, so can be destroyed. The idea would be to force an approach from the opponent and then start using Andy's attacks to build charge, then use specials again to cover for a small period while he's using his neutral for a heal/upgrade. I'm not a great artist so I'm sorry if some of the stuff I'm trying to say is hard to visualise.

I also picture this moveset to be pretty easy to modify for other AW characters, simply changing the neutral B and how it charges to represent the character and upgrading the part of the kit that the character is known for. Sami would have excellent grab options, but less ability to force an approach with specials, which would then be covered when her CO power is charged giving her movement speed to get in for those grabs and followups. Grit might be campier, relying on specials for spacing but having limited kill options until CO power is charged. Sturm would be heavier and harder hitting to allow more opportunities to charge the CO power as a kill move, although incorporating all his other strengths would probably just leave him as OP as in the games."

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Copying my post from the Andy thread on my idea for an AW move set. I describe Andy's as his would be the basic all round one, but I discuss the modifications to make it more suitable for Sami at the bottom.

"On another note, my brief idea for an Andy[Sami] moveset:

All tilts, aerials, smashes, jab and dash are just done with wrenches[fists?kicks?whatever].

Grabs will be assisted by infantry units with a projectile follow up, mechs for a small explosive rocket on forward and back throws, regular infantry will just shoot a line to assist on down and up throws.

Neutral Special: Hyper Repair/Hyper Upgrade: Andy charges his CO stars by doing damage (only himself, not his units), if at 3 stars he can use hyper repair (healing himself), if at 6 he'll use hyper upgrade (also healing and proving armour of some sort for the next few moves). [Obviously Sami's would be Double Time and Victory March, charging quite quickly and providing excellent speed boost, with a bonus damage/smash when using victory march, kind of like Shulk's monado arts but without downsides since you have to charge them]

Side Special: Command ____: charges a unit in similar fashion to Pacman's Neutral B, going from recon up to super tank (traveling along the ground like a koopa, but not turning ad ledges). pressing B while it's in travel will cause it to fire, doing a small blast forward and then disappearing.

Up special: Battle copters: a pair of copters appear above Andy[Sami]'s head, if B is pressed again he'll grab onto them for a fairly controlled recovery (similar to Olimar and Villager), if not they just fly slightly upwards (platform level) and then forwards firing occasionally.

Down special: Artillery: places an artillery unit behind Andy[Sami] that starts charging up for a projectile attack. This attack does an arc similar to Mii Gunners grenade, but slightly taller and shorter. If done in a smash input then the artillery will be replaced by rockets, that have a lower but longer arc but also takes longer to charge up.

All units created by these attacks have health of varying strength, so can be destroyed. The idea would be to force an approach from the opponent and then start using Andy's attacks to build charge, then use specials again to cover for a small period while he's using his neutral for a heal/upgrade. I'm not a great artist so I'm sorry if some of the stuff I'm trying to say is hard to visualise.

I also picture this moveset to be pretty easy to modify for other AW characters, simply changing the neutral B and how it charges to represent the character and upgrading the part of the kit that the character is known for. Sami would have excellent grab options, but less ability to force an approach with specials, which would then be covered when her CO power is charged giving her movement speed to get in for those grabs and followups. Grit might be campier, relying on specials for spacing but having limited kill options until CO power is charged. Sturm would be heavier and harder hitting to allow more opportunities to charge the CO power as a kill move, although incorporating all his other strengths would probably just leave him as OP as in the games."
Olaf could use ice.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I support Sami and any AW character as well. They can resolve the gun issue by making it as cartoony as Duck Hunt's Wild Gunmen move (except that it should not be 8-bit like them unless that is the only way).

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I thought about how could work the other day, and I think what would be cool is if she had a customized bazooka that fired different types of ammo representing different units in AW, such as RPG's, Anti-Air Missiles, tank shells, etc.

Full support for this by the way. Favorite character in the game and best theme song :)

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
[/collapse]

Potential Moveset (WIP and extremely rough – serves only as an illustration of the potential for interesting movesets with AW characters):

Jab: Sami elbows the opponent. If it connects, she follows up with a knee hit, and if that connects a punch.

Ftilt: Sami kicks in front of her.

Utilt:

Dtilt:

Fsmash: Sami swings her rocket launcher through the air in a heavy blow.

Dsmash: Sami drops and swings her legs around.

Usmash: Sami tosses a grenade which immediately explodes in the air directly above her head.

Neutral B: Sami fires a rocket ahead in a straight line.

Side-B (on ground): An APC appears. Sami grabs onto the back and rides as the APC charges forward in a straight line. Any characters hit by the APC will be buried.

Side-B (in air): Sami grabs on to a T-Copter instead of an APC, which flies straight forward and knocks back impacted characters.

Down-B: A silo missile template (a giant crosshair, for the unfamiliar) appears on screen. Sami may move the template with the analog stick and press “A” to fire. Immediately after firing, a silo missile drops from the top of the screen at good speed and explodes in the designated AoE for moderate damage and knockback. Sami cannot move while aiming the template.

Up-B: Sami rises through the air on a captured building as per the classic capturing animation, damaging any opponent she or the building impacts.

Nair:
Fair:
Bair:
Dair:
Uair:

Up Throw: Sami hurls her opponent into the air with both arms.
Forward Throw: Sami kicks her opponent away from her.
Back Throw: Sami spins around and hurls her opponent backwards with both hands.
Down-Throw: Sami throws her opponent on the ground and jumps on him with both feet several times, as per the classic AW capturing animation (perhaps with appropriate sound effects?)

Final Smash:
After Sami presses B, gameplay freezes and two words immediately fly in and crash together in the center of the screen, covering everything: SUPER POWER

The screen flashes white,
begins to play, and gameplay resumes as Orange Star infantry and mech units pour onto the stage, shooting at players for minor damage and hitstun. Sami herself gains greatly improved speed, weight, and hitting power for a brief period of time, but can still be killed-after all, circumstances permitting, it's best to hit your opponent during their power turn to avoid charging their meter! Sami’s Final Smash overrides the stage’s theme with the AW2 Super Power theme for its duration..
I like this moveset, however there are a few things I'd change,
Utilt- Sami shoves the butt of her rocket launcher in the air.

Dtilt- Does a ground kick

Nair- Spins around with her rocket launcher out

Fair- Does a karate chop, has a meteor spike

Bair- Does a back kick

Dair- Fires a blaster shot down wards

Uair- Fires a blaster shot upwards

B- Blaster: Sami takes out a cartoony looking rifle and fires three laser beams, the first beam does the most damage and knockback, just like in the game, you deal more damage if you attack first.

Side B- Rocket launcher.

Up B- Capture catapult- A captured building rises from under Sami, launching her into the air, the building and Sami can both deal damage.

Down B- Deploy, kind of like Duck Hunt's down B, Sami deploys 1 of 4 units, infantry, mech, tank, and black bomb.

Final Smash-Earth and Sky

Sami swings her rocket launcher around, if any opponents are caught in the attack, they are transported to a battle field, where Sami and a bunch of infantry stampede the opponent(s), then Eagle comes in and strikes the opponent with lightning.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I wonder when the Project M team will finally reveal her. Even though I technically don't own a Wii anymore, I am curious as to how Sami actually plays in the game.

Top Bottom