• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Quick-Capturing Commando - Sami for SSB4! (Celebrating V-G Day! Hope marches on!)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Eh, Andy doesn't really work with Snake's moveset. He'd need a wrench-based one. Sami's really the only AW CO that Snake's moveset fits nicely.

And that's why we need two reps :3

Andy as the commanding character, and Sami as the soldier, with goofier items than Snake's one, for sure.
A tag character would be lovely. Sadly, the chance of one seems astronomically low.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
A tag character would be lovely. Sadly, the chance of one seems astronomically low.
Well, Fire Emblem started with 2 reps, though Roy was a clone. Also, Pokémon (a clearly bigger franchise, I know) had technically 5 new reps, if we count the trainer. But there's also the loss of Pichu and Mewtwo in the process.

By the way, 2 reps seems not that farfetched.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
FE has one trump card over AW, unfortunately, even at the time of Melee, and that's popularity in Japan.

AW has basically no visibility in Japan, and Smash tends to cater mostly to the Japanese fanbase. I do hope that Sakurai gives international audiences some love this time as well, since the non-Japanese playerbase constitutes the majority of Smashers.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It really is unfortunate that AW never secured a beachhead in Japan. More than anything else, the lack of any real Japanese fanbase hurts the series' chances of a rep.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Now that Mac's out of the way, guess I could root for her fully now.

Bring on the mech spam.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I fully support Sami or Andy. This series needs to be represented again. I don't want an assist trophy of the sprites again. :c

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I fully support Sami or Andy. This series needs to be represented again. I don't want an assist trophy of the sprites again. :c
For a series that's been going since the NES days (lalalalala intelligent systems are making a 3ds game im not listening to you lalalalala) it's a pretty glaring omission when you think about.

With Mac out of the way, Advance Wars is now the most deserving new series of a new character I'd say. The question is who would be represented? It's hard to think of a moveset for Andy that isn't very gimmicky, and that's the only reason they'd opt for Sami instead but she's kinda obscure. It's probably either of them, but I'd be fine with anyone.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
What if they did all three of the mains? I don't know how well the idea is, but you could switch between Andy, Sami, and Max. I know it's really farfetched and probably wont happen but it's just a thought.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If Fire Emblem has a chance to get three, why not AW? It's not really that far fetched if you think about it, especially considering the popularity of the series in the west. Based Mac proved that Sakurai is paying attention to the west's desires, I guess. Though I dunno about Max, he'll be kinda boring.

Though you'll seldom see anyone listing any AW character in their prediction lists, when I've seen FE get three. Not that I take these roster analysis stuff seriously, but it kinda shows that the AW fanbase isn't vocal at all that people aren't really considering characters, compared to FE. I trust Sakurai will see the importance of the franchises , though, just like Wii Fit.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
If Fire Emblem has a chance to get three, why not AW? It's not really that far fetched if you think about it, especially considering the popularity of the series in the west. Based Mac proved that Sakurai is paying attention to the west's desires, I guess. Though I dunno about Max, he'll be kinda boring.

Though you'll seldom see anyone listing any AW character in their prediction lists, when I've seen FE get three. Not that I take these roster analysis stuff seriously, but it kinda shows that the AW fanbase isn't vocal at all that people aren't really considering characters, compared to FE. I trust Sakurai will see the importance of the franchises , though, just like Wii Fit.
You've made me feel much better about the chances of one of them getting in. Thank you! :)

Freduardo

Smash Champion
While you get more Fire Emblem characters in predictions, FIre Emblem's had two characters since Melee and three total entries. Advance Wars had none. And I think Fire Emblem also has had two separate titles since Days of Ruin came out.

On that subject wouldn't a character from Advance Wars/Dual Strike and a character from Days of Ruin make the most sense?

And damn I want advance wars 3ds. Is that even being worked on?

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
inteligent systems i belive mentoned they were developing something they didnt want to say what though, i hope it is advance wars, and i hope its not days of ruin. go back to the advance wars i love.

Hong

The Strongest
Nice avatar, Spinosaurus. :)

I would be 100% DELIGHTED if Sami could join us for this fight.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
While you get more Fire Emblem characters in predictions, FIre Emblem's had two characters since Melee and three total entries. Advance Wars had none. And I think Fire Emblem also has had two separate titles since Days of Ruin came out.

On that subject wouldn't a character from Advance Wars/Dual Strike and a character from Days of Ruin make the most sense?
Going by the logic of Fire Emblem reps, we'd get an original AW rep before anybody from the newer games, especially Days of Ruin. I expect Andy, but Sami or Max are both possible, particularly as a tag character if Sakurai goes mental and actually gives AW two reps.

inteligent systems i belive mentoned they were developing something they didnt want to say what though, i hope it is advance wars, and i hope its not days of ruin. go back to the advance wars i love.
IS mentioned that they want to develop another AW, but of course they'd need permission and support from Nintendo to do so. I'd also prefer a return to War World.

For a series that's been going since the NES days (lalalalala intelligent systems are making a 3ds game im not listening to you lalalalala) it's a pretty glaring omission when you think about.

With Mac out of the way, Advance Wars is now the most deserving new series of a new character I'd say. The question is who would be represented? It's hard to think of a moveset for Andy that isn't very gimmicky, and that's the only reason they'd opt for Sami instead but she's kinda obscure. It's probably either of them, but I'd be fine with anyone.
Sami's not even that obscure. She and Max are both almost equal with Andy in terms of visibility as mascots for the series. Andy's still the likeliest rep, but either Sami or Max would also be a possible choice, particularly as part of a tag character.

What if they did all three of the mains? I don't know how well the idea is, but you could switch between Andy, Sami, and Max. I know it's really farfetched and probably wont happen but it's just a thought.
Given the nature of AWDS's tags, I'd expect a tag character to be just two COs rather than three. A tag character would fit AW very well, but is definitely unlikely due to the niche status of AW. Still, if FE can get two reps in Melee despite being a Japan-only series, who knows?

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
well i honestly didnt like any too much, nor max, but i liked sami. if i may dream and we do add a tag team i'd prefer 2 characters to prevent poke trainer swapping problems of wanting ivysaur as chari needing 2 switches, i'd go for eagle as they're like a couple.

and i do honestly hope aw gets a rep no matter who it is. besides we had this assist throphy in brawl showing that sakurai did atleast recognize the existence of the series in the game and how lil max truned into a character i really don't think it's far fetched to get AW reps finaly! can't wait till a reveal/game release. tho i'd need to buy a wii u and strife on online play as i has no frendz :<

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, the assist trophy in Brawl was heartening as a sign that Sakurai at least recognizes the existence of Advance Wars. I hope for a better AT in SSB4 at the bare minimum. Infantry & Tanks was fun but rarely appears and could have been better executed, plus I'd have preferred a CO.

Last edited:

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to AW reps people forget the last game was a reboot. If Nintendo chooses to continue with the reboot universe, then I think we're more likely to get Will or some other commander from the last game. Overall it would be a better marketing strategy.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
When it comes to AW reps people forget the last game was a reboot. If Nintendo chooses to continue with the reboot universe, then I think we're more likely to get Will or some other commander from the last game. Overall it would be a better marketing strategy.
Smash always prioritizes putting in the series' mascot, even if doing so is not great for marketing purposes. We got Marth as the primary FE character even though his game was years old at the time of Melee.

If we get an AW rep it'll be somebody from the Wars World crew, and undoubtedly somebody from the original trio, most likely Andy as he's the closest thing AW has to a mascot. The AW logo is a wrench for a reason.

I expect IS to return to Wars World if we see any future AW games, as DoR was somewhat controversial and not wildly successful. DoR isn't really so much a reboot as a completely different story, as the game doesn't employ any of the same characters nor try to tell a similar story.

Last edited:

Kickback

Smash Cadet
Well it has been the trend up until now with adding the main charecter/ mascot of each series but I do feel Sami has the biggest chance to join Smash of all the Aw charecters seeing as she seems to be a perfect clone for snake. Never really liked Andy's design ore personallity to much( his co powers are awsome though) so id rather have Jake rep as the main charecter.

So guys if they do make a AW 3DS were do you want/ think Hawke and Lash will end up? back to black hole ore another Army? I hope Lash join's Orange star she has great banter, would interact well with other Orenge star and a great way to get new vehical's.
Hawke I could see joining Blue moon and Sami i could actually see leaving Orange Star to join Green Earth.

Also Tuninator can you add me as a Backer?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Nice avatar, Spinosaurus. :)
Thank you. :) Good Advance Wars fan art is hard to come by.
Sami i could actually see leaving Orange Star to join Green Earth.
This would go against Green Earth's European theme though. Eagle is supposedly German, based on Manfred von Richthoven, a German ace pilot. The whole Lightning theme surrounding Eagle is supposed to be a reference to the Blitzkrieg tactic as well. Drake is obviously based on the British sea captain Sir Francis Drake, Jess is French, probably based on Joan D'Arc and I'm pretty sure Javier is supposedly a Spanish Conquistador. Wouldn't be surprised if we go back to Wars World, Green Earth would have an Italian CO...maybe one based on Mussolini? lol I'd doubt they'd go with a dictator, so probably someone else from World War II.
Or actually, would be great if they got an Irish CO based on one of the IRA leaders in the 1916 Rising. Maybe they'd specialize in Infantry and have some sort of Guerilla Warfare theme around them. (much like Eagle and Blitzkrieg) I haven't done History in a while though, so my memory's off.

Sami is really American in nature, there's really no other place for her than Orange Star. I'd say Sturm would probably (hopefully) come back if there's a new game, and Lash and Hawke would probably join him again..unless he tells them to screw off, if AW2 indicated anything.

Last edited:

Kickback

Smash Cadet
Well you are kinda forgetting that Grit used to be a Co in orange star ( told from story of aw 1) so co changeing sides should'nt be totally out of the question. yeah I did know that each army ( whith the exeption of Black Hole) is based on diffrent continents/ country's. I'm not saying I want sami to join gh but I could see it happening in intriging story kinda way

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Makes sense for Grit to defect to Blue Moon actually, since a lot of Americans defected to the Soviet Union during the Cold War iirc.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well it has been the trend up until now with adding the main charecter/ mascot of each series but I do feel Sami has the biggest chance to join Smash of all the Aw charecters seeing as she seems to be a perfect clone for snake. Never really liked Andy's design ore personallity to much( his co powers are awsome though) so id rather have Jake rep as the main charecter.

So guys if they do make a AW 3DS were do you want/ think Hawke and Lash will end up? back to black hole ore another Army? I hope Lash join's Orange star she has great banter, would interact well with other Orenge star and a great way to get new vehical's.
Hawke I could see joining Blue moon and Sami i could actually see leaving Orange Star to join Green Earth.

Also Tuninator can you add me as a Backer?
I'm not actually sure if I was keeping a backers list, let me check! If so, I'll certainly add you.

My personal pet theory is that Lash will end up being a Yellow Comet CO. It makes the most sense for Lash to go to Yellow Comet as she has a closer connection with Sonja than any other Allied Nation CO. Sonja is the only allied CO with which Lash shares both a unique tag and unique in-mission campaign dialogue in Dual Strike, as well as victory dialogue. Sonja's a ruthless pragmatist. She would be the most likely of any Allied CO to recognize the incredible asset Lash's scientific mind represents and push for recruiting her. Lash also didn't inflict much significant damage to Yellow Comet, unlike Green Earth and Blue Moon; both Green Earth and Blue Moon COs have negative tags with Lash in AWDS.

I assume Hawke will continue to operate lone wolf, as he is wont to do.

Last edited:

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
So do you guys think the announcement of Advance Wars coming to Wii U Virtual Console will increase the chance of Sami or another Advance Wars CO to be playable?

I kind of feel that if Golden Sun gets Isaac/Matthew, Advance Wars should have a character in exchange. Both franchises are handheld-only and started on the Gameboy Advance so they should be treated equally.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So do you guys think the announcement of Advance Wars coming to Wii U Virtual Console will increase the chance of Sami or another Advance Wars CO to be playable?

I kind of feel that if Golden Sun gets Isaac/Matthew, Advance Wars should have a character in exchange. Both franchises are handheld-only and started on the Gameboy Advance so they should be treated equally.
Could do....I figure if anyone it would be Andy though.

As you say Advance Wars isn't alone on Virtual Console. It has to contend with Golden Sun, another popular (at least in terms of unrepped franchises) series.

Personally I think both series deserve a playable rep.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Both Golden Sun and Advance Wars should get spots on the roster! As far as unrepped series go, those two are by far the most deserving. Both are major handheld series too, which should fit nicely with the 3DS version's handheld focus.

Kickback

Smash Cadet
I don't think that advanced wars getting on vc increases its chances for a rep but it might help push for a advance wars 3ds(if one is not already planned) Im thinking if they reveal advance wars 3ds at e3( the direct version) Sami / andy's chances will sky rocket compared to where we are now.

also I think a perfect level for sami( if she got added) would be a adwanced wars level inspired by the saffron city(pokemon) stage in ssmb64. Think foure buildings close togeter one Hq Two city's and one airport. You brawl on top of the roofs if you alone stand on one building you capture it ( after some time) then as long as the player controlls it the player gets extra bennefits. city reduces/repairs one point of dammage for after some secounds, Hq the same only 5 points reduction/repair and airport sends of diffrent air crafts that can dammage the other players not controlling it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The Wars series is actually one of the largest Nintendo series still not represented in Smash, if not the largest. The series has 12 games, 10 of which possess the same core gameplay. Nintendo appears to have rebranded the series as "Advance Wars" going forward in the West, though.

The addition of AW and AW2 to eShop won't do anything for AW's chances at a rep, but being on the VC definitely doesn't hurt AW's chances for a new game.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I used to want Andy as the AW rep, then I played the game where you can actually get a feel for his personality. Needless to say, I'm now 100% on the Sami train.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
So i bought Advance Wars on the Virtual Console today. I have to say that Sami is easily my favorite.
Glad you're enjoying it! AW really is a fantastic game. I'm hoping that AW2 gets put up on VC soon as well.

I used to want Andy as the AW rep, then I played the game where you can actually get a feel for his personality. Needless to say, I'm now 100% on the Sami train.
I like Andy a lot, but even I worry that he would be incredibly annoying as a Smash character. He could easily be worse than Pit.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So, with the Nintendo Direct, one thing is sure: there won't be tag team from Advance Wars.

Not sure if this help Sami's chances. I'm also pretty sure we would get Andy first. BUT it allows Sami to be a standalone character and, for exemple, to take all of Snake's moveset (the more I think about it, and the more I want it to be this way.)

Kickback

Smash Cadet
So, with the Nintendo Direct, one thing is sure: there won't be tag team from Advance Wars.

Not sure if this help Sami's chances. I'm also pretty sure we would get Andy first. BUT it allows Sami to be a standalone character and, for exemple, to take all of Snake's moveset (the more I think about it, and the more I want it to be this way.)
Yeah i Agree Sami would defenetly be the best choice, Nintendo wouldn't need to pay anithing for use of the charecter and they would get to promote AW which in all honesty needs more love In America/Europe and especially in Asia/Japan. Do it Sakurai stop focusing on Fire emblem so much and give us this.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I may be too optimistic, but why not two newcommers after all? Especially if one doesn't really need work for a moveset.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
My personal pet theory is that Lash will end up being a Yellow Comet CO. It makes the most sense for Lash to go to Yellow Comet as she has a closer connection with Sonja than any other Allied Nation CO.
According to another fan theory there's a reason for that: Sturm's subordinates are clones of each country's COs to help make invading those countries easier.
Flak=Clone of Max
Lash=Clone of Sonja
Adder=Clone of Grit
Hawke=Clone of Eagle

Compare all of those pairs & tell me it ain't an uncanny pattern.

It makes sense really, AW1 had a clone of Andy so why wouldn't Sturm make more?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
According to another fan theory there's a reason for that: Sturm's subordinates are clones of each country's COs to help make invading those countries easier.
Flak=Clone of Max
Lash=Clone of Sonja
Adder=Clone of Grit
Hawke=Clone of Eagle

Compare all of those pairs & tell me it ain't an uncanny pattern.

It makes sense really, AW1 had a clone of Andy so why wouldn't Sturm make more?
Heh, that does make a good deal of sense! Never thought about it that way.
I also enjoy the theory that Lash turned Flak into Jugger.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I don't think Sami is all that obscure. Sami is about on the same level as Andy and Max, really.

Anyway, sign me up as a supporter! I've NEVER played an Advance Wars game, but I'm very interested in the franchise and I've been thinking for a long time that Advance Wars really DESERVES a playable character. I didn't know who to pick until towards the beginning of this year when I saw a 3D fan-made render of Sami, and after doing the research I came to the conclusion that I felt Sami was the best pick from the Advance Wars series. (There's also the fact that Sami would fit a modified Snake moveset, and with Snake mostlikely gone, people would probably want a similar character. I've been long-advocating for an AW rep to fill in the role, and Sami is easily the best fit.)

The only problem I see with Advance Wars is lack of popularity. I think AW deserves a playable rep simply because of its long history with Nintendo, but I have noticed that the franchise's sales aren't the best.

Top Bottom