• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Quick-Capturing Commando - Sami for SSB4! (Celebrating V-G Day! Hope marches on!)

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
I agree the bazooka would be enough to translate the AW essence. and yeah, the infantry AT style bullets made it in, that's along the lines of what I was thinking... but they're so overtly cartoony, and the fact that they're not player-controlled probably helped too :(

Yeah, super disappointing that it's probably too late for additions. You never know, though.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The fact that Sakurai will most likely be repeating the Melee process and including at least some characters he wanted for Brawl but couldn't fit in is at least somewhat encouraging for an AW rep's chances, as AW had much more visibility back then.

No problem, bro.

If U have a WiiU, you should do this too :cool:
Don't have one yet, sadly. I've been waiting for Smash haha. I'll probably pick one up this holiday season.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The fact that Sakurai will most likely be repeating the Melee process and including at least some characters he wanted for Brawl but couldn't fit in is at least somewhat encouraging for an AW rep's chances, as AW had much more visibility back then.

Don't have one yet, sadly. I've been waiting for Smash haha. I'll probably pick one up this holiday season.
Do that and post Sami on Miiverse !:upsidedown:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Alright, gonna revise the moveset later. Let's hash it out some more.

I am loving the suggestion of Double Time, Sami's COP, as a down-B that charges over time. Maybe, say, 1 second of slow in an AoE around Sami for every 10 seconds of charge, with 2-3 seconds max? And a decent "casting" time/animation, so you can't abuse it at point blank range.

I also really like the suggestion of "capturing" points on the stage or summoning a unit. For unit summons, there would definitely need to be at least an option to have the summon fight autonomously, because Sami should definitely be a character who gets up in your face. Still, it's a very neat idea.

Also loving the suggestion of Dthrow being Sami's primary kill mechanism during Final Smash. Pretty hilarious.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
eh, I can't say I'm a fan of this thread. First let me say that I would absolutely love it if Sami did make it into Smash 4 as I think she is best representative to a tragically glanced over series. However I think we're setting ourselves up for a major disappointment.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Truth is, Sami is more worthy of beeing in the game than some of the characters who already are.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
eh, I can't say I'm a fan of this thread. First let me say that I would absolutely love it if Sami did make it into Smash 4 as I think she is best representative to a tragically glanced over series. However I think we're setting ourselves up for a major disappointment.
Honestly, I really don't expect Sami to get in. Hell, I don't expect that we have very good chances for an AW rep in general. It's just fun to discuss possibilities and give AW some much-needed attention, you know? I don't know how other support threads do it, but this one is here to argue why Sami would work well as a rep to SSB4, not why she will be in Smash 4.

It really is an absolute shame that AW probably will not get a rep, as the series has been grievously overlooked given its size, popularity, and history. Seeing rosters that push for a 4th Kirby rep or an 8th Pokerep or a 6th Zelda rep while completely neglecting AW really bums n me out.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
yeah, I probably should have made that statement looking in hindsight. It's just that I thoroughly agree with getting an AW rep and your initial post got me really hyped up (because I'm not a fan of Andy and from what you've stated it makes Sami look like she could be the true rep for the series); there's just so much potential in making a good movepool and niche playstyle with her.

Please don't take it as if I'm against yall or anything, I'd say I'm more frustrated that the chances for representation are so low. It was bad wording on my part. I'd say if an AW rep does get in though it should be Sami.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
yeah, I probably should have made that statement looking in hindsight. It's just that I thoroughly agree with getting an AW rep and your initial post got me really hyped up (because I'm not a fan of Andy and from what you've stated it makes Sami look like she could be the true rep for the series); there's just so much potential in making a good movepool and niche playstyle with her.

Please don't take it as if I'm against yall or anything, I'd say I'm more frustrated that the chances for representation are so low. It was bad wording on my part. I'd say if an AW rep does get in though it should be Sami.
It's all good! Believe me, I totally get it. Being an AW fan can be pretty frustrating when it comes to Smash, especially since as you observe an AW rep could be such a fantastically unique character and help revive the AW series.

I'm hoping that the noise coming out of IS to the effect that they have a new AW in development is true, because that certainly would not hurt our chances. Also, I guess a new AW game would be kiiiinda alright in and of itself. :p

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Alright, gonna revise the moveset later. Let's hash it out some more.

I am loving the suggestion of Double Time, Sami's COP, as a down-B that charges over time. Maybe, say, 1 second of slow in an AoE around Sami for every 10 seconds of charge, with 2-3 seconds max? And a decent "casting" time/animation, so you can't abuse it at point blank range.

I also really like the suggestion of "capturing" points on the stage or summoning a unit. For unit summons, there would definitely need to be at least an option to have the summon fight autonomously, because Sami should definitely be a character who gets up in your face. Still, it's a very neat idea.

Also loving the suggestion of Dthrow being Sami's primary kill mechanism during Final Smash. Pretty hilarious.

Z1GMA's moveset idea was great; the Dthrow thing in particular is genius.
And I like the idea of CO power being a special as opposed to Final Smash, just for allowing for a more unpredictable (though admittedly, possibly less fitting) FS.
eg. Back Up - with Sami's CO power in use as a special attack, her FS is used to call in support from another character, who uses their CO power.
They flash across the screen with a text quip and the music changes, a la the game itself.

Obvious examples:
- Andy, restores percent and increases attack.
- Grit: Increases all Sami's ranged and projectile attacks
- Rachel: control a cursor to land a missile. Like in the game, you see it's range of attack upon landing.

I like the idea of a FS with an element of unpredictability; it would make it unique. Though obviously, it''s a bit more out there.
It could easily be the fart-equivalent special attack, and the aforementioned FS idea maintained as the main one.

If the characer call-in were to be used, however, the characters could show up in the more heavy hitting vehicles from the series - such as the bomberor Megatank, which would be much bigger than Sami's miniature ridable ones.

Of course, they could even be Final Smashes in their own right.

SO MUCH POTENTIAL. man, i hope AW gets revived.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Z1GMA's moveset idea was great; the Dthrow thing in particular is genius.
And I like the idea of CO power being a special as opposed to Final Smash, just for allowing for a more unpredictable (though admittedly, possibly less fitting) FS.
eg. Back Up - with Sami's CO power in use as a special attack, her FS is used to call in support from another character, who uses their CO power.
They flash across the screen with a text quip and the music changes, a la the game itself.

Obvious examples:
- Andy, restores percent and increases attack.
- Grit: Increases all Sami's ranged and projectile attacks
- Rachel: control a cursor to land a missile. Like in the game, you see it's range of attack upon landing.
Neat ideas! I'm pretty down for any kind of Final Smash as long as it involves a Super Power (as opposed to anormal Power, which would be Sami's Down-B). Doesn't have to be Sami's SCOP. Dual Strike makes a CO tag as a Final Smash quite possible, and such a FS would be an even nicer nod to the series. Hell, were Advance Wars a more popular series we might even potentially expect Andy and Sami or some such as a transformation character based on the tag mechanic.

If the characer call-in were to be used, however, the characters could show up in the more heavy hitting vehicles from the series - such as the bomberor Megatank, which would be much bigger than Sami's miniature ridable ones.

Of course, they could even be Final Smashes in their own right.

SO MUCH POTENTIAL. man, i hope AW gets revived.
I would definitely expect any unit callins as part of a Final Smash to be the higher tier units like bombers and the eternally cheap Neotanks.

AW really does hold tons of potential for a great moveset. Let's hope that the same thought has occurred to Sakurai! An AW rep is very much so an outside chance, but a chance exists nonetheless. If only the series were more popular in Japan. I've never really understood why Nintendo targeted it entirely at the West.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I agree.

Like, there are some characters that they were forced to "come up" with Moveset Ideas for, like C. Falcon.
(Don't get me wrong - I love C. Falcon).
However, that's not the case with AW, cuz it already has tons and tons of potential movesets.

Hell, it'd be possible to come up 3 movesets for Sami, and there would still be stuff left to wish into her moveset.

@TheTuninator:
If AW, despite all odds, gets in, be sure to create one of major threads.
(Seeing as how dedicated you are to the AW series.)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Thanks! Heh, well, I definitely qualify for passion, but not so much on technical knowledge. I'd need to steer clear of making any guide threads. :grin: You can bet that there will be some celebrating for sure, though, should the unlikely happen.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Fantastic! That would be really neat. I could get behind that for sure. Have some airplanes buzzing it and stuff.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
With the 3DS version showcasing portable games, I would be really surprised if we didnt get an Advance Wars stage.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sadly, I could see us not getting one. Whether or not we get anything AW-related past an AT really depends on whether Sakurai cares to cater to international fans as well as Japanese ones. The focus has been mainly on Japanese fans in the past, and Advance Wars has pretty much zero visibility over there.

AW is one of Nintendo's best-received handheld games, so it certainly should get a stage, but I doubt whether we will.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think the fact that there is a portable game focus for 3DS gives the series it best chance for a stage. If it wants to acknowledge the history of Nintendo Portables, for the GBA there is literally no better representation. The series is called Advance Wars.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think the fact that there is a portable game focus for 3DS gives the series it best chance for a stage. If it wants to acknowledge the history of Nintendo Portables, for the GBA there is literally no better representation. The series is called Advance Wars.
Ain't that the truth! We can only hope.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Fantastic! That would be really neat. I could get behind that for sure. Have some airplanes buzzing it and stuff.
Ya, Bombers should definitely target the ship throughout the match.
Maybe Subs, too, rocking the ship.

edit: btw, Eagle is my favourite CO.
Love his c0cky attitude.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong - we only had one AW Related item in Brawl, right?
The Assist Trophy.

Do you think it will still be in, or will there be another AW AT?

Do you expect less/more AW items?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think we will get a similar AW AT.

I expect no AW items.

Sami Icons:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
For the record I love that any character from Advance Wars get a spot in the roster, still if you ask me Grit > Any other character :p.
.n_n.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
From one support-thread creator to another, I can say that I'm fine with the idea of Sami being a Smash Bros. character much as I am with Andy being one. I merely think Andy is more likely on part of being more of a main character. That said, we can both agree that AW deserves a representative and that either choice would suffice in giving Advance Wars the much-needed presence in Smash Bros. deserves. And we can pretty much agree on Max being third-banana to them in terms of playability, I'm sure.

TheTuninator, my support for Sami for your support for Andy?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who had the thought that Sami would be a good character to introduce either as a semi-clone of Snake or even perhaps adopt the majority of his moveset if he were to be not returning in SM4SH? She definitely seems like the most-likely character to get in that could be an actual replacement for Snake, and even though it would be changed here and there to better reflect Advance Wars, if Snake, as a 3rd-Party Character, was not coming back this time, I could see Sami using a luigified version of his moveset so that it wouldn't be completely lost.

Of course, I'd rather her be her own character, but it's a possibility.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I can see Sami being the Wolf to Snake's Fox. She wouldn't necessarily have the same moves, but she'd evoke a similar feel to Snake. Some of Snake's moves don't translate as well to an Advance Wars character (his chokehold grab, for example), but she could definitely make use of military-style jabs and kicks, as well as explosive weapons.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Am I the only one who had the thought that Sami would be a good character to introduce either as a semi-clone of Snake or even perhaps adopt the majority of his moveset if he were to be not returning in SM4SH? She definitely seems like the most-likely character to get in that could be an actual replacement for Snake, and even though it would be changed here and there to better reflect Advance Wars, if Snake, as a 3rd-Party Character, was not coming back this time, I could see Sami using a luigified version of his moveset so that it wouldn't be completely lost.

Of course, I'd rather her be her own character, but it's a possibility.
I had considered the possibility, yes. But we haven't seen a case of one character inheriting another one's moveset in Smash, yet, which makes me doubtful of it's chances.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I had considered the possibility, yes. But we haven't seen a case of one character inheriting another one's moveset in Smash, yet, which makes me doubtful of it's chances.
Does that make it completely out of the realm of possible? It'd certainly sound more appealing to everybody to just transition Snake's moveset rather than remove entirely, yes? It's essentially the entire basis of what makes some people support Black Shadow of F-Zero to take Ganondorf's current moveset so Ganny can get a sword.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I can see Sami being the Wolf to Snake's Fox. She wouldn't necessarily have the same moves, but she'd evoke a similar feel to Snake. Some of Snake's moves don't translate as well to an Advance Wars character (his chokehold grab, for example), but she could definitely make use of military-style jabs and kicks, as well as explosive weapons.
That's more what I mean. His actual moveset (minus the Up-B, I would think) actually seems to translate very well to an Advance Wars-style character, just make the weapons a little more cartoony to match the AW style. Everything aside from the standard-special moveset (intro, taunts, grabs, victory pose) could be changed to be more unique to Sami, and then you'd have a good and plausible semi-clone, and a luigified version of his moveset via Sami would be good way to save his fighting style through another character if he doesn't come back, as GRC said in the message above.

@FalKoopa: It is very unlikely, but Sakurai has surprised us several times since the announcement (such as the Wii Fit Trainer and Luigi's reveal despite being an unlockable in previous games, for example), so I could see it happening, though I still am taking my thought with a grain of salt/

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
An advanced wars rep would be nice, but I think Andy is more likely. (No, annoyingness, name originality, and gender do not really affect who gets in, how important they are to the series affects who gets in.) Both would be cool and great additions, I really don't have a favorite but I just see Andy as slightly more likely.)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
An advanced wars rep would be nice, but I think Andy is more likely. (No, annoyingness, name originality, and gender do not really affect who gets in, how important they are to the series affects who gets in.) Both would be cool and great additions, I really don't have a favorite but I just see Andy as slightly more likely.)
Oh, Andy's certainly more likely. I've never denied that. My goal is simply to make a case for why Sami or Max would be plausible candidates for inclusion.

That's more what I mean. His actual moveset (minus the Up-B, I would think) actually seems to translate very well to an Advance Wars-style character, just make the weapons a little more cartoony to match the AW style. Everything aside from the standard-special moveset (intro, taunts, grabs, victory pose) could be changed to be more unique to Sami, and then you'd have a good and plausible semi-clone, and a luigified version of his moveset via Sami would be good way to save his fighting style through another character if he doesn't come back, as GRC said in the message above.

@FalKoopa: It is very unlikely, but Sakurai has surprised us several times since the announcement (such as the Wii Fit Trainer and Luigi's reveal despite being an unlockable in previous games, for example), so I could see it happening, though I still am taking my thought with a grain of salt/
Snake's normals fit an Advance Wars character well, but not his specials. Any AW character would need to express the wacky charm of AW through their specials, and Snake's standard military equipment does not capture the feel of AW very well.

From one support-thread creator to another, I can say that I'm fine with the idea of Sami being a Smash Bros. character much as I am with Andy being one. I merely think Andy is more likely on part of being more of a main character. That said, we can both agree that AW deserves a representative and that either choice would suffice in giving Advance Wars the much-needed presence in Smash Bros. deserves. And we can pretty much agree on Max being third-banana to them in terms of playability, I'm sure.

TheTuninator, my support for Sami for your support for Andy?
Of course. Any AW rep is good by me.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ya, Andy is probably more likely than Sami, however, I'd rather see Sami since she's my favourite AW-Character.

Though, one should not forget that Ed is the most fresh Main Character of the series, so maybe he's got a chance as well.

Also, Intelligent System recently said that they'd be willing to start working on a new game in the series, and possibly sooner rather than later.
We can only hope their CO Power-Bar is full as we speak, and that they activate Double Time ASAP, thus the new game is released at about the same time as SSB4.
I know it won't happen, but it'd be sick nontheless.
In that case, SSB4 could represent the latest AW-Game by including one of its Main Characters.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Ya, Andy is probably more likely than Sami, however, I'd rather see Sami since she's my favourite AW-Character.

Though, one should not forget that Ed is the most fresh Main Character of the series, so maybe he's got a chance as well.

Also, Intelligent System recently said that they'd be willing to start working on a new game in the series, and possibly sooner rather than later.
We can only hope their CO Power-Bar is full as we speak, and that they activate Double Time ASAP, thus the new game is released at about the same time as SSB4.
I know it won't happen, but it'd be sick nontheless.
In that case, SSB4 could represent the latest AW-Game by including one of its Main Characters.
I would love to see Ed or anyone from DoR, but unfortunately it's lack of a release in Japan hurts his chances. I might make a Will thread though. DoR is my favorite in the series.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I doubt we'll see Will as DoR did not do very well, did not release in Japan at all, and thematically clashes with the SSB4 aesthetic. The Wars World games, by contrast, feel right at home in the cartoonish world of SSB4. That said, Will cannot of course be counted out of the running for a possible Advance Wars rep.

I think we will get a similar AW AT.

I expect no AW items.

Sami Icons:

Thanks for the icons, man! They look great.

Top Bottom