• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
This is kinda out of the blue, but I'm starting to feel the smash ballot is getting out of control over a character suggestion, at least a character that make sense to be in Smash. I viewed the comments section on Etika's latest video, and it's getting worse. Not just people saying "Why Shantae? Vote King K Rool"! Or "That's the worst character suggestion ever! Get out of here"! But other ridiculous stuff. Yes, I know its been like this since day one of the ballot, but I feel it's getting worse as days or weeks have been passing.

I'm still rooting for Shantae no matter what, but I'm starting to want the ballot to end soon. Too much pressure for me to handle. Literally :(

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
The Smash Ballot really didn't get off to a great start. All the mock-ballots out there were an attempt to get a bead on who's the most popular character in the real thing, but this ended up falling flat because pretty much every mock-ballot had an entirely different result.

What you'd think is happening is that people are looking up these increasingly-popular characters who pop up all over the internet with the Smash Ballot's beginning, but they aren't. What people are doing is following a simple creed: "If it's not who I voted for, I don't give a flying @#$%".

The anonymous Super Smash Bros. fanbase has always been toxic, but this is a whole new level of awful. The entire point of the ballot is to give popular and underrepresented video game characters their big chance to shine, and it's the best time in a long time to discover all the weird and wonderful franchises out there that you might have missed before. It also gives other gaming companies a chance to promote their own material, which is always good for business. But most of the ballot voters aren't even paying attention and are just tunnel-visioned on their single favourite. Not only is this a huge missed opportunity, but it's only setting the poor guys up for the worst fall when their "one true ballot winner"... well, isn't.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
The Smash Ballot really didn't get off to a great start. All the mock-ballots out there were an attempt to get a bead on who's the most popular character in the real thing, but this ended up falling flat because pretty much every mock-ballot had an entirely different result.

What you'd think is happening is that people are looking up these increasingly-popular characters who pop up all over the internet with the Smash Ballot's beginning, but they aren't. What people are doing is following a simple creed: "If it's not who I voted for, I don't give a flying @#$%".

The anonymous Super Smash Bros. fanbase has always been toxic, but this is a whole new level of awful. The entire point of the ballot is to give popular and underrepresented video game characters their big chance to shine, and it's the best time in a long time to discover all the weird and wonderful franchises out there that you might have missed before. It also gives other gaming companies a chance to promote their own material, which is always good for business. But most of the ballot voters aren't even paying attention and are just tunnel-visioned on their single favourite. Not only is this a huge missed opportunity, but it's only setting the poor guys up for the worst fall when their "one true ballot winner"... well, isn't.
Hasn't the fanbase always been $#!%? With that said, it's rare when a fandom isn't bad to some extent. Anyway, about the early results thing, weren't most of them pretty consistent with their top characters? K. Rool, Inkling, Daisy, and Isaac seem to be pretty high up in all of them if memory serves me correctly.

I can agree on the whole thing about the ballot though, or even with Smash in general. A lot of people like to argue that smash is just "Nintendo All-Stars" (and to their credit, the original game was called that in Japan) and that only the really popular Nintendo characters should be in with a few notable guests. While that's understandable, Smash has never really actually done that. I mean, how many people knew who the hell Ness or Captain Falcon were in the original? Hell, some people (probably from the newer generation) probably still don't know where they come from, but that's what's so great about Smash. While have a great amount of iconic characters to celebrate Nintendo's great franchises, they still show love for the smaller guys that are a part of their history. And now that Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and potentially Ryu are in the game, it's becoming more of a celebration of gaming as a whole (though these characters are still close with Nintendo).

Well, if nothing else, people tend to warm up to the idea of certain characters being in the game once they're actually playable. It happened Pac-Man and some others, so it'll probably happen again. Let's just hope one of those new characters it happens with is Shantae.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
This is kinda out of the blue, but I'm starting to feel the smash ballot is getting out of control over a character suggestion, at least a character that make sense to be in Smash. I viewed the comments section on Etika's latest video, and it's getting worse. Not just people saying "Why Shantae? Vote King K Rool"! Or "That's the worst character suggestion ever! Get out of here"! But other ridiculous stuff. Yes, I know its been like this since day one of the ballot, but I feel it's getting worse as days or weeks have been passing.

I'm still rooting for Shantae no matter what, but I'm starting to want the ballot to end soon. Too much pressure for me to handle. Literally :(
Not used to pressure are you?

Again, #ShantaeForSmash

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice

This kind of behavior is part of the territory, unfortunately.
The result is more or less a war-zone, but I would guess most everybody had anticipated this and were already gathering ammunition by second 1.

I suppose you could give credit for the passion for each respective character, though. Even if it is a battle-scarred wasteland.
Eh, another day in Nintendo Land.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
This kind of behavior is part of the territory, unfortunately.
The result is more or less a war-zone, but I would guess most everybody had anticipated this and were already gathering ammunition by second 1.

I suppose you could give credit for the passion for each respective character, though. Even if it is a battle-scarred wasteland.
Eh, another day in Nintendo Land.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
...Maybe they focus on their "one true character" because the ballot specifically says one character per person?

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So while it's not directly related to Shantae, you weebs out there may like this.

You'll see why I posted it once you give it a listen. ;)

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

It's no different from back in the Pre-Smash 4 speculation days people said that characters like Duck Hunt (Dog), Shulk, Robin, Dark Pit, Lucina and Pac-man had no chance in being added in Smash and look at where we are now. Its always a battlefield out there, you just gotta keep fighting the good fight & try to rally as many supporters as possible. NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
It's no different from back in the Pre-Smash 4 speculation days people said that characters like Duck Hunt (Dog), Shulk, Robin, Dark Pit, Lucina and Pac-man had no chance in being added in Smash and look at where we are now. Its always a battlefield out there, you just gotta keep fighting the good fight & try to rally as many supporters as possible. NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
I know, LOL!
Dream facts!.png
Dream Positive.jpg
Dreams!.jpg

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I'm impressed at how much press Shantae has gotten in he last couple of days. It started from that one tweet Matt Bozon made, then got combined with other promotional material for the Smashboards news post, and from there videos and news posts on other gaming websites just spread like wildfire. It could almost be considered small-time viral now.

If Mr. Bozon's plan was to get the silent Shantae supporters to join the more vocal crowd, it's working. "Shantae as Smash DLC" will cross into the realm of viable possibility if this keeps up.

Never thought I'd addend a post with this, but: #ShantaeForSmash

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I'm impressed at how much press Shantae has gotten in he last couple of days. It started from that one tweet Matt Bozon made, then got combined with other promotional material for the Smashboards news post, and from there videos and news posts on other gaming websites just spread like wildfire. It could almost be considered small-time viral now.

If Mr. Bozon's plan was to get the silent Shantae supporters to join the more vocal crowd, it's working. "Shantae as Smash DLC" will cross into the realm of viable possibility if this keeps up.

Never thought I'd addend a post with this, but: #ShantaeForSmash

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Not used to pressure are you?

Again, #ShantaeForSmash
At first, I was use to it. So it didn't bother me at the time. But the entire internet is at a war to get their character into Smash. And we're still far from over.

But doesn't mean I'm giving up. So until October 3rd, I'll have to stay standing to the madness, even if it kills me. #ShantaeForSmash

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. I'll keep going :)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
At first, I was use to it. So it didn't bother me at the time. But the entire internet is at a war to get their character into Smash. And we're still far from over.

But doesn't mean I'm giving up. So until October 3rd, I'll have to stay standing to the madness, even if it kills me. #ShantaeForSmash
You're way too dramatic. At the end of the day, this is a videogame we're talking about.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
...Well, um...

Guys, you remember that discussion or two a couple of pages back about Shantae's moveset-based transformations possibly being to hot for the 3DS to handle?

Well, I finally thought of a counterpoint.

A moveset-based transformation does exist in the game with no problems, and it's right here. Bowser's Final Smash, Giga Bowser, reverts him to his feral state from Brawl - including giving him his moves from Brawl. His entire moveset changes in some way when he uses his Final Smash. You might also be able to argue Mega Lucario does the same thing, as I've played with a friend who mains Lucario and I've noticed his Final Smash throws all (or some) of his custom equipment buffs in exchange for maximum aura power.

My theory on why this works and why Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik don't is because Giga Bowser isn't an implicitly separate character anymore like he was in Melee; he only even shows up when Bowser is around, so his model and moveset are pre-loaded whenever Bowser is around. Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik, on the other hand, are separate character data entirely and have been since Brawl and Melee respectively. The 3DS' choking might not be because of model- and moveset-swapping, but because of having to call a bunch of character data that wasn't originally loaded into the match while unloading the previous character, possibly several times in the same match.

With this in mind, a transformation-based Shantae might be able to work the same way that Giga Bowser does: her other models and moves are already loaded and can be swapped on the fly, just not usable until the right conditions are met. It's certainly possible with a little bit of techno-sorcery like making her alternate models loaded, but invisible until the transformation calls them.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
...Well, um...

Guys, you remember that discussion or two a couple of pages back about Shantae's moveset-based transformations possibly being to hot for the 3DS to handle?

Well, I finally thought of a counterpoint.

A moveset-based transformation does exist in the game with no problems, and it's right here. Bowser's Final Smash, Giga Bowser, reverts him to his feral state from Brawl - including giving him his moves from Brawl. His entire moveset changes in some way when he uses his Final Smash.

My theory on why this works and why Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik don't is because Giga Bowser isn't an implicitly separate character anymore like he was in Melee; he only even shows up when Bowser is around, so his model and moveset are pre-loaded whenever Bowser is around. Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik, on the other hand, are separate character data entirely and have been since Brawl and Melee respectively. The 3DS' choking might not be because of model- and moveset-swapping, but because of having to call a bunch of character data that wasn't originally loaded into the match while unloading the previous character, possibly several times in the same match.

With this in mind, a transformation-based Shantae might be able to work the same way that Giga Bowser does: her other models and moves are already loaded and can be swapped on the fly, just not usable until the right conditions are met. It's certainly possible with a little bit of techno-sorcery like making her alternate models loaded, but invisible until the transformation calls them.
The model is extremely similar and only a few moves change, making multiple unique movesets is too much for the 3DS

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
I guess I'll explain what I mean:

People I have come across act like their lives will be ruined forever if a character they want in Smash doesn't make it in. They would always panic every single day like it's the last day of the ballot when we're months away. I sometimes wish they would just calm down and take a breather for once. I understand there are some people that are trying ways to get more support for that character, but they sometimes would go out of their league and don't think what they're doing nor saying. That's why I'm finding this annoying.

Sure, I want Shantae to be in the game than any other character in the world and I talk about it everyday, but I at least don't freak out about her not making it in, because I have full confident that she WILL make it to Smash.

Still, I apologize if I started something. I hardly speak to people; I'm always the silent guy. I won't let that happen again. #ShantaeForSmash

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I guess I'll explain what I mean:

People I have come across act like their lives will be ruined forever if a character they want in Smash doesn't make it in. They would always panic every single day like it's the last day of the ballot when we're months away. I sometimes wish they would just calm down and take a breather for once. I understand there are some people that are trying ways to get more support for that character, but they sometimes would go out of their league and don't think what they're doing nor saying. That's why I'm finding this annoying.

Sure, I want Shantae to be in the game than any other character in the world and I talk about it everyday, but I at least don't freak out about her not making it in, because I have full confident that she WILL make it to Smash.

Still, I apologize if I started something. I hardly speak to people; I'm always the silent guy. I won't let that happen again. #ShantaeForSmash
Ok. However, don't apologize.

Top Bottom