• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So I recently got into Shantae (Bought the first game and will buy Pirate's Curse after beating the first one). I wouldn't mind seeing her in smash but I doubt she has a chance at all. Nope it isn't because of "lol indie character" or whatever. It's because of what Sakurai said in one of the directs with characters no longer being able to change midmatch. Her main powers involves transformations via genie magic to my knowledge. Maybe transform as part of a move?? I doubt that would happen or would work well.

If she makes it in in the end, I see them borrowing heavily from Pirate's Curse with a mix of any secondary magic/moves from the previous Shantae games. Her belly dances or any dances at all would probably end up being a taunt imo.
Pirate's Curse was her without magic like mentioned, also, if the transformation is only used as a single attack such as Up B turns Shantae into a Harpy to fly around a little before turning back to normal, that might work as Kirby has his Stone

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
So I recently got into Shantae (Bought the first game and will buy Pirate's Curse after beating the first one). I wouldn't mind seeing her in smash but I doubt she has a chance at all. Nope it isn't because of "lol indie character" or whatever. It's because of what Sakurai said in one of the directs with characters no longer being able to change midmatch which screwed over transformation moves. Her main powers involves transformations via genie magic to my knowledge. Maybe transform as part of a move?? I doubt that would happen or would work well.

If she makes it in in the end, I see them borrowing heavily from Pirate's Curse with a mix of any secondary magic/moves from the previous Shantae games. Her belly dances or any dances at all would probably end up being a taunt imo.
I think her transformation attacks would be more going in and out of transformations similar to kirby going into stone kirby for attacks.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Personally i don't think Snake is coming back due to what is going on at Konami. Plus i think there is a chance we could get more then one third party in the ballot. Two or three max.
Actually, I think he has a strong chance to return. Konami as already expressed interest in bringing him back, so it really is up to Sakurai and Nintendo. Considering that Sakurai stated that the whole DLC thing is "about makiing fans happy", that Snake is the most wanted TP and he is also a veteran (way more easy and chep to develop) I think he is one of the most likely characters!

Going back to Shantae, I agree with all you thet the argument that the haters have brought out are dumb (just like the ones against Snake).

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
So I recently got into Shantae (Bought the first game and will buy Pirate's Curse after beating the first one). I wouldn't mind seeing her in smash but I doubt she has a chance at all. Nope it isn't because of "lol indie character" or whatever. It's because of what Sakurai said in one of the directs with characters no longer being able to change midmatch which screwed over transformation moves. Her main powers involves transformations via genie magic to my knowledge. Maybe transform as part of a move?? I doubt that would happen or would work well.

If Shantae does make it in, then I'm pretty sure they'll go with the pirate gear instead of the transformations. The way she uses them in Pirate's Curse screams "potential Smash Bros moveset!"

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
So, nothing new then, and I'm assuming @ Yellowlord Yellowlord meant the same article. Thanks, now I can spare myself the loss of brain cells.

"Too sexy" is not an argument. Shantae's general outfit actually shows less skin than Zero Suit Samus' alternate outfits, she's no more raunchy than Palutena's freaking pole dance, and let's not get started on Shulk's beach shorts. There are more suggestive things in the game already (and all of these were ragged on pretty hard, but still kept). Besides, Shantae's outfit is traditional genie/dancer garb to the point where I'm pretty sure it's even been in a few children's shows. "HOLY @#$% THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1!" does not apply here, and shame on anyone who thinks so.

Honestly, I'm starting to doubt that "indie" is even a valid argument anymore - mind you it was never an acceptable argument, but people at least had some kind of point in that she was obscure. The thing is though, that obscurity has been massively stomped flat if that physical ad space beside Nintendo's IPs is any indicator. I'd be comfortable calling Shantae a geniune third-party at this point, and I'd be happy to see someone that isn't a devout supporter share that viewpoint.
Yeah, that's the exact article I had meant. Also, your view about the article is very well explained, I must say.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Just a reminder that people get salty as **** over everything. Beyond that, though, people got salty over the new additions (including Pac-Man), so...

Does this only solidify Shantae's chances?!

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Just a reminder that people get salty as **** over everything. Beyond that, though, people got salty over the new additions (including Pac-Man), so...

At this point I'd like Shantae in just to send all these people to the salt mines. It would be glorious.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Wait, so hating a character increases their chances?

On second thought, I hate Rayman, he shouldn't be in Smash at all.
:p

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice

If I had to guess, I would imagine the transformations would be used on an "attack by attack" basis. (Like Kirby's stone attack as mentioned previously.) Only being used sparingly to get the "essence" of the character across, while borrowing heavily from either Pirate's Curse and/or her "regular" attacks from the previous two installments to round out her move set.

At this point I'd like Shantae in just to send all these people to the salt mines. It would be glorious.
I am right there with you. 100%

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
GUIS SOTP! CANT U SEE DAT SHANETES TOTES SEXIT YO!?

:troll:

By the way I think Shantae is the only Indie Character that should be in Smash.

WE NEED MORE BELLY DANCING DAMN-IT!!!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
GUIS SOTP! CANT U SEE DAT SHANETES TOTES SEXIT YO!?

:troll:

By the way I think Shantae is the only Indie Character that should be in Smash.

WE NEED MORE BELLY DANCING DAMN-IT!!!
Meh, I dislike that video. I understand its meant to just be a joke, but its honestly not that funny. And while I do agree that Shantae should indeed be the only indie character for the game (she is the most plausible indie rep, after all), I feel as though there is no need to reference that video.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I just realised, if Shantae has her dance transformations for her neutral B, that means Kirby can copy her neutral B to perform the Kirby dance.

CFood

Smash Cadet
I just realised, if Shantae has her dance transformations for her neutral B, that means Kirby can copy her neutral B to perform the Kirby dance.
As amusing as that would be, I think that's the number one reason why any dancing for a transformation neutral special move wouldn't work.

Neutral special would have to be something more standard like a fireball or maybe become an elephant and smash forward, I'unno.

I think there's a reason why Charizard was split off from Pokemon Trainer, and Sakurai even said Zelda, Sheik, Samus, and ZSS couldn't work on 3DS (or so I've heard). Which is why I don't see down special being dancing. I think it's more likely we get a Kirby down special treatment for any move which causes a transformation. Like side special being Shantae becoming a monkey and doing literally Diddy Kong's move. Up being Harpy, down being elephant stomp, neutral being probably elephant dash. Assuming customs 2 and 3 would be items you buy (pike ball, fireball, etc) and then pirate gear. That's if they decide to do customs. I've heard Mewtwo didn't get that (and I haven't checked myself so I'm not sure)

In any case, imagine Kirby trying to belly dance, that'd be funny. I know Kirby can breakdance tho!

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
As amusing as that would be, I think that's the number one reason why any dancing for a transformation neutral special move wouldn't work.

Neutral special would have to be something more standard like a fireball or maybe become an elephant and smash forward, I'unno.

I think there's a reason why Charizard was split off from Pokemon Trainer, and Sakurai even said Zelda, Sheik, Samus, and ZSS couldn't work on 3DS (or so I've heard). Which is why I don't see down special being dancing. I think it's more likely we get a Kirby down special treatment for any move which causes a transformation. Like side special being Shantae becoming a monkey and doing literally Diddy Kong's move. Up being Harpy, down being elephant stomp, neutral being probably elephant dash. Assuming customs 2 and 3 would be items you buy (pike ball, fireball, etc) and then pirate gear. That's if they decide to do customs. I've heard Mewtwo didn't get that (and I haven't checked myself so I'm not sure)

In any case, imagine Kirby trying to belly dance, that'd be funny. I know Kirby can breakdance tho!
Maybe the elephant charge should be Shantae's final smash and operate similarly to Ganondorf's?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hmm.... I noticed in the Travis video for Smashified at around 1:32 or so, there was files for Travis (reference file for him during the video), Power Suit Samus, and Issac. That second one makes me curious. Do you guys think it's actually Shantae instead of Power Suit Samus? In my view, it makes no sense to smashify Samus, as she is in the game, after all. I think it just may be a placeholder with the possiblity that Samus is just being used as a reference for Shantae (they do have very similar ponytails, but I think the idea is to use Samus's hair texture and apply it to the texture of Shantae's hair when they do her painting).

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Hmm.... I noticed in the Travis video for Smashified at around 1:32 or so, there was files for Travis (reference file for him during the video), Power Suit Samus, and Issac. That second one makes me curious. Do you guys think it's actually Shantae instead of Power Suit Samus? In my view, it makes no sense to smashify Samus, as she is in the game, after all. I think it just may be a placeholder with the possiblity that Samus is just being used as a reference for Shantae (they do have very similar ponytails, but I think the idea is to use Samus's hair texture and apply it to the texture of Shantae's hair when they do her painting).
Perhaps, but in that case wouldn't it be Zero Suit Samus, not Power Suit Samus?
(Unless it's just an incorrect naming of the file or something.)

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think Zero Suit Samus is what they intended, if I had to be honest.
Just for speculation's sake, if that is in fact Power Suit Samus, then I think it would probably be intended for armor reference, right?

So, I figure the question here is whether it is more likely that there will be a character in need of armor reference, or if it is indeed a misnamed Zero Suit Samus intended for hair texture reference for Shantae.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Hmm.... I noticed in the Travis video for Smashified at around 1:32 or so, there was files for Travis (reference file for him during the video), Power Suit Samus, and Issac. That second one makes me curious. Do you guys think it's actually Shantae instead of Power Suit Samus?[...]
I think you're grasping at straws here.

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Isaac wears armour.

It's nothing like Samus's hi-tech getup but still it's armour.
Oh yeah! He does, huh?
For some reason I never noticed that red piece on his chest.

Rather, I never noticed it was armor.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I think you're grasping at straws here.
You have a point. Either way, it is a theory. Besides, Smashified has said they will be smashifying 2 characters, and the most likely candidates are Issac and Shantae, both of them popular requests to be Smashified.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
With all the commotion that came from that tweet, I'm surprised that neither Matt Bozon or WayFoward has stepped up to clear things up (assuming if the tweet was never a real confirmation).

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
With all the commotion that came from that tweet, I'm surprised that neither Matt Bozon or WayFoward has stepped up to clear things up (assuming if the tweet was never a real confirmation).
They didn't step up because:
- if Shantae is indeed confirmed, they can't be the ones making the announcement;
- if she isn't confirmed, they might as well let controversy stir so that she'll at least get some publicity.

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
^ that was terrible
even though I am a Rayman supporter from head to toe and would be really sad if he didn't get in I would like to see Shantae get in and she has my support.

(that tweet can't be confirmation she's in though because he wouldn't be able to talk about it at all if she was getting in)

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hmm.... I've been doing further analysis of the Travis video, and I found something very particular at one point in the video; Images of the character models. I saw images of Issac and Ridley (yes, Ridley) in their pre-development forms, and while I saw no sign of Shantae present, there was one particular image I saw that had the file name "SarConcScultlol.png" Although the image is blurry along with the other images, it seems as though it matches the look of Shantae compared to the other images I saw of Issac and Ridley. I'm not sure what the purpose of the file is for its name, but it is a character render, just not sure what character the render is of. It does appear to have the look of a pre-rendered Issac, but I'm just not too sure. Do you guys want me to post some photographic proof of my discovery?

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Why do you even need for people to acquiesce? If you think it's worthwhile to show, then go ahead.
My bad. This might sound silly, but I just don't want to go off-topic or anything on the current subject (the tweet), so that's why I asked if you guys wanted to see it. Anyways, here's the image:

Have a look: "SarConcScultlol.png" is the file I am most curious about. Sorry about the image quality; It's the best I could do. You'll have to use the Zoom tool you have on your browser to take a closer look at it; I don't think I am able to expand this image. Anyways, what do you guys think? Do you believe that Shantae is hidden within one of these images, specifically the one I was most curious about?

Last edited:
Top Bottom