• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
It just that a lot of people don't think it will happen and that Phil Spencer only said that because Microsoft is making a new Banjo game, which i really, REALLY doubt.
Look. REGARDLESS of the company, Banjo & Kazooie are still an important aspect of Nintendo's history. While yes, they are owned by those corporate scumbags, they are primarily known for their history with the big N.

And what of Shantae? Others argue she can't get in because she is of an indie dev, and we both know how much history she has with Nintendo.... Wayforward also supports her in smash. Someone could argue they want this to push their new titles.

I just reaaallly dislike bias againts a different candidate for dumb reasons. People only say this stuff because their afraid a particular character will get in over <insert character they love here>. In all honesty... It doesn't. matter. What ends up as DLC, will be what it will be. By the end of October, there will more than likely be millions of votes for various, logical, deserving fighters. Trying to downplay them won't help. Instead, one should focus on building on the main desire... in this thread's case, Shantae.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Look. REGARDLESS of the company, Banjo & Kazooie are still an important aspect of Nintendo's history. While yes, they are owned by those corporate scumbags, they are primarily known for their history with the big N.

And what of Shantae? Others argue she can't get in because she is of an indie dev, and we both know how much history she has with Nintendo.... Wayforward also supports her in smash. Someone could argue they want this to push their new titles.

I just reaaallly dislike bias againts a different candidate for dumb reasons. People only say this stuff because their afraid a particular character will get in over <insert character they love here>. In all honesty... It doesn't. matter. What ends up as DLC, will be what it will be. By the end of October, there will more than likely be millions of votes for various, logical, deserving fighters. Trying to downplay them won't help. Instead, one should focus on building on the main desire... in this thread's case, Shantae.
Yeah I agree, I just don't really care for Banjo Kazooie. I wouldn't care if they got in because the only game I've played with them in why Sega all star racing. (I was born early gamecube era). I only put it there because of how everyone elseis like "Banjo is getting a new game" and "Nintendo wouldn't support a Microsoft character".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's what the leak thread found looking at in-game data. Roy and Ryu are next, there's prelim data (i.e. it's a bunch of Mario duplicates as placeholders) for 5 DLC characters in addition to Mewtwo. That means two left. Now here's where we go into the realms of speculation. The poll ends in October, Production on Mewtwo apparently begun last October, fitting with the whole characters need a year to work on thing that Sakurai said.

The theory is, there's 6 pre-planned DLC characters and the poll will decide another wave of characters. Shantae's odds are looking better.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree, I just don't really care for Banjo Kazooie. I wouldn't care if they got in because the only game I've played with them in why Sega all star racing. (I was born early gamecube era). I only put it there because of how everyone elseis like "Banjo is getting a new game" and "Nintendo wouldn't support a Microsoft character".
Well that explains a lot then actually. I'm pretty sure if you got to experience Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, you would understand why they're big contenders. Its just how we feel about Shantae actually.

Here's what the leak thread found looking at in-game data. Roy and Ryu are next, there's prelim data (i.e. it's a bunch of Mario duplicates as placeholders) for 5 DLC characters in addition to Mewtwo. That means two left. Now here's where we go into the realms of speculation. The poll ends in October, Production on Mewtwo apparently begun last October, fitting with the whole characters need a year to work on thing that Sakurai said.

Say... E3... Could it be possible we are getting three characters that start with an R? Ryu, Roy, and <someone>? hmm...

The theory is, there's 6 pre-planned DLC characters and the poll will decide another wave of characters. Shantae's odds are looking better.
Of course the question we are all wondering is who these characters are...

So would that be Mewtwo, Lucas, (Possibly) Roy, and Ryu... and whoever the other two are?

The mystery thickens indeed.

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice

That makes a lot of sense in theory, given what available "evidence" we have.
6 for this wave, then 6 more will be decided in October and be released - as a pack, maybe? - sometime next year.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking the remaining two characters in this "wave" are Wolf and either a reworked Ice Climbers or a character that was in development for Smash 4 but dropped. Not sure who though.

As long as Wayforward's legal team is able to deal with Nintendo's then all we gotta do is hope the other 3rd parties have worse lawyers and our wish comes true.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Hm... 6 pre ballot characters, and 6 post ballot characters...

Lets see. that would be a grand total of 12 DLC characters- but hey wait a moment.

Didn't someone mention there is room for at least 16? So what happened to the other four here? Is there just not enough time?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hm... 6 pre ballot characters, and 6 post ballot characters...

Lets see. that would be a grand total of 12 DLC characters- but hey wait a moment.

Didn't someone mention there is room for at least 16? So what happened to the other four here? Is there just not enough time?
I think that was a theoretical limit.

Mudkip97

Smash Apprentice
I hope if we do get Shantae she gets a stage with her. Scuttle Town maybe? With a 2D design like done in Half Genie hero.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441

you know... that actually would make alot of sense...

assuming this is the case, i speculate the other 2 characters could be 3rd party characters belonging to SEGA and Namco, since Ryu and Megaman both belong to Capcom, it would be somewhat logical to think the other 2 companies would also be getting a character to keep the 3rd parties balanced. if this isn't the case then we'll probably just get Wolf and someone else. no clue who the last one would be. maybe a leading contender in the ballot? to later lead into the ballot character wave of DLC?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
you know... that actually would make alot of sense...

assuming this is the case, i speculate the other 2 characters could be 3rd party characters belonging to SEGA and Namco, since Ryu and Megaman both belong to Capcom, it would be somewhat logical to think the other 2 companies would also be getting a character to keep the 3rd parties balanced. if this isn't the case then we'll probably just get Wolf and someone else. no clue who the last one would be. maybe a leading contender in the ballot? to later lead into the ballot character wave of DLC?
That "would" make sense. I'm pretty sure they would already have a deal struck. (Assuming ryu gets in)

What would those be though? I mean I dunno much about Namco... and what would Sega opt for? One of the main characters from one of their many IPs that have gathered dust in their closet for so many years? Or would they go for another sonic rep?... hmm

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
That "would" make sense. I'm pretty sure they would already have a deal struck. (Assuming ryu gets in)

What would those be though? I mean I dunno much about Namco... and what would Sega opt for? One of the main characters from one of their many IPs that have gathered dust in their closet for so many years? Or would they go for another sonic rep?... hmm
Sega has a few candidates, especially with the call for Bayonetta going around, I feel like the most likely option is Tails as he's a counterpart for Luigi...when it comes to video game sidekicks you can't get more iconic then those two...

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Sega has a few candidates, especially with the call for Bayonetta going around, I feel like the most likely option is Tails as he's a counterpart for Luigi...when it comes to video game sidekicks you can't get more iconic then those two...
You are mistaken:

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
the safest bet for SEGA IMO is another Sonic character, specifically either Tails or Knuckles, but if they decide to go with another franchise they have then probably one of their characters featured in Sonic & All-stars Racing Transformed or even Project X Zone would be most likely, not the best reference for character choice, but its probably the most recent game at least half of the characters in those games have been in.

as for Namco. Tekken seems like the most logical choice seeing as we are getting Ryu (assuming the leak is in fact true. *scarred from Omni's Rayman*) so i could see it happen. otherwise i'm not sure. Project X Zone would be an option again to pick someone.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
I'm thinking the remaining two characters in this "wave" are Wolf and either a reworked Ice Climbers or a character that was in development for Smash 4 but dropped. Not sure who though.
That's what I was thinking, either that or the other two characters are extra reps from Sega and Namco. While I'm not sure who would make a good second Namco rep, from what I've seen, Arle from Puyo Puyo seems to be a popular choice in Japan. The series has been on every Nintendo console since the SNES (Even after being owned by Sega), the only thing really holding her back is that only two games were "officially" released in the states. AiAi from Super Monkey Ball also makes sense as another Sega rep, as that series has pretty much been exclusively on Nintendo consoles.

Still, I find Sega and Namco receiving extra representation somewhat far fetched...but hell, Ryu's in the game, so I guess anything can happen.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

You know that leak is almost guaranteed to be 100% fake, right? Roy's sound file is Brawl Marth's victory theme exactly, and Ryu's sounds haven't been updated from Street Fighter 2. In fact, judging by how twangy they sound, they may be from the Genesis version of Street Fighter 2!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
You know that leak is almost guaranteed to be 100% fake, right? Roy's sound file is Brawl Marth's victory theme exactly, and Ryu's sounds haven't been updated from Street Fighter 2. In fact, judging by how twangy they sound, they may be from the Genesis version of Street Fighter 2!
I'm not too sure myself. This stuff was supposedly datamined, "from the game itself"...supposedly it was added after the mewtwo patch. Since we have a few other sources (the guys who mentioned this would have to bring it up) confirm they are indeed there, I doubt it.

As to Roy... Do you honestly think, they would make an entirely new victory theme for a DLC clone... that also just so happens to be a veteran. It makes sense they would use assets they already have for that. (I would see it for newcomers, but for veterans? Especially CLONE veterans?... We wish.) And before you pull that "He could get reworked" thing... Look at Mewtwo. Save for the final smash, and a few balance tweaks, he is pretty much the same as he was from Melee. The same moveset... same sounds from what I've heard... if Mewtwo, a character that has been SCREAMED FOR by the Smash community for so long can't get that much new stuff... I doubt Roy would either.

As to the last bit about Ryu.. that could either be one of two things:

1. The track is a placeholder/not the only planned songs from the Streetfighter universe (As bare in mind, exact tracks from franchises have been used in Smash before. Sometimes they just opt for the original song rather than take the time and development to make a remix/orchestration of the song)

2. The song is what it is.

Thats another thing people are forgetting about. The game is already out. Wouldn't they have to get their musical producers back together to make more orchestrations and redos of tracks?... Then again I dunno

Unless we can get someone from this thread that can datamine, whom has the 3DS version of the game, fully updated, and has Mewtwo.. We don't have a way to discredit this.

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
I'm not too sure myself. This stuff was supposedly datamined, "from the game itself"...supposedly it was added after the mewtwo patch. Since we have a few other sources (the guys who mentioned this would have to bring it up) confirm they are indeed there, I doubt it.

As to Roy... Do you honestly think, they would make an entirely new victory theme for a DLC clone... that also just so happens to be a veteran. It makes sense they would use assets they already have for that. (I would see it for newcomers, but for veterans? Especially CLONE veterans?... We wish.) And before you pull that "He could get reworked" thing... Look at Mewtwo. Save for the final smash, and a few balance tweaks, he is pretty much the same as he was from Melee. The same moveset... same sounds from what I've heard... if Mewtwo, a character that has been SCREAMED FOR by the Smash community for so long can't get that much new stuff... I doubt Roy would either.

As to the last bit about Ryu.. that could either be one of two things:

1. The track is a placeholder/not the only planned songs from the Streetfighter universe (As bare in mind, exact tracks from franchises have been used in Smash before. Sometimes they just opt for the original song rather than take the time and development to make a remix/orchestration of the song)

2. The song is what it is.

Thats another thing people are forgetting about. The game is already out. Wouldn't they have to get their musical producers back together to make more orchestrations and redos of tracks?... Then again I dunno

Unless we can get someone from this thread that can datamine, whom has the 3DS version of the game, fully updated, and has Mewtwo.. We don't have a way to discredit this.
It's kind of hard to know where we stand with all these question marks...
There's so little we know for sure.

I just wish we had more to work with, because otherwise, we're just shooting in the dark here.
(This had nothing to do with anything, just stating my opinion.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Roy and Ryu stuff has been confirmed by multiple sources to it's either true or a Kojima level prank.

As for the remaining characters being a Namco and Sega Rep theory: if that were the case I'd say they'd be Dig Dug and Tails or Knuckles.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
The Roy and Ryu stuff has been confirmed by multiple sources to it's either true or a Kojima level prank.
Yeah, several sources have confirmed the files are indeed there, so at least that part is not fake, unless there's some sort of massive hacker conspiracy, which I think is (extremely) unlikely.

What I suppose is also possible is that Sakurai and co. deliberately put those files there to troll. Or they gave the files codenames to throw people off. Maybe instead of Roy and Ryu we're actually getting Eliwood and Chun-Li?

conspiracykeanu.jpg

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just dropping by to say I finally got around to purchasing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

It's absolutely amazing. Just beat the second dungeon and I'm loving it so far~ ^w^

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That's what I was thinking, either that or the other two characters are extra reps from Sega and Namco. While I'm not sure who would make a good second Namco rep, from what I've seen, Arle from Puyo Puyo seems to be a popular choice in Japan. The series has been on every Nintendo console since the SNES (Even after being owned by Sega), the only thing really holding her back is that only two games were "officially" released in the states. AiAi from Super Monkey Ball also makes sense as another Sega rep, as that series has pretty much been exclusively on Nintendo consoles.

Still, I find Sega and Namco receiving extra representation somewhat far fetched...but hell, Ryu's in the game, so I guess anything can happen.
Oh yeah. I did read somewhere that Arle Nadja is a highly requested 3rd party character in Japan. Considering that Ryu is supposedly in the game, I'm going to go for broke and say Arle isn't all that farfetched an idea if Nintendo will listen to their fans in Japan for her. Also, is it weird that after seeing her game and her design, I actually kind of want her in now? She's just so cute and adorable. Especially in Puyo Puyo Fever. If, by some SERIOUS miracle, she is added as Smash 4 DLC, I personally think they should use her design in Puyo Puyo N. It looks just right for Smash Bros. Also, don't get me wrong, I REALLY hope Shantae makes it in too, I'm only saying with the right design and moveset, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to Arle being playable too.

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Oh yeah. I did read somewhere that Arle Nadja is a highly requested 3rd party character in Japan. Considering that Ryu is supposedly in the game, I'm going to go for broke and say Arle isn't all that farfetched an idea if Nintendo will listen to their fans in Japan for her. Also, is it weird that after seeing her game and her design, I actually kind of want her in now? She's just so cute and adorable. Especially in Puyo Puyo Fever. If, by some SERIOUS miracle, she is added as Smash 4 DLC, I personally think they should use her design in Puyo Puyo N. It looks just right for Smash Bros. Also, don't get me wrong, I REALLY hope Shantae makes it in too, I'm only saying with the right design and moveset, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to Arle being playable too.
I'm on the same boat but I'll only agree if they add Oshare Bones in the game somewhere.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm on the same boat but I'll only agree if they add Oshare Bones in the game somewhere.
Out of curiosity, is there an Arle support thread around here? Also, Oshare Bones as a stage boss?

EDIT: Hopefully, Arle would use this design:

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
The time is nigh for Shantae's time in the Rate of Chance!
Arms at the ready, ladies and gents.

Let us fight with everything we have!

Top Bottom