• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
The "rate their chances" thread is... not being kind to Shantae. They're barely getting above 10% (and that's being generous) solely because she's Indie and that's it. I find this rather unfair since she's a lot less "Indie" to Nintendo than all the other Indie submissions.

I gave a positive an argument as I could, but I'm not sure it's going to amount to much in face of such passionate naysayers.

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
The "rate their chances" thread is... not being kind to Shantae. They're barely getting above 10% (and that's being generous) solely because she's Indie and that's it. I find this rather unfair since she's a lot less "Indie" to Nintendo than all the other Indie submissions.

I gave a positive an argument as I could, but I'm not sure it's going to amount to much in face of such passionate naysayers.
Yeah, anyone beyond her fans and those even remotely interested are wholeheartedly against Shantae's inclusion, sadly.
I've seen way too many "Chance - 1% Want - 0%".

It's frustrating, to say the least.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Yeah, anyone beyond her fans and those even remotely interested are wholeheartedly against Shantae's inclusion, sadly.
I've seen way too many "Chance - 1% Want - 0%".

It's frustrating, to say the least.
I don't mean to start ****, but good lord did you see some of them talking about "Oh, Shantae's inclusion will lead to stuff like Goku and Shrek!"
That's silly, they're silly. I legit think that a majority of the posters in there are just straight-up favoring their favorite character and putting down the rest. (including us, if I'm wrong, then I'm sorry.)
Nonetheless, it's all just speculation in the end. Even if everyone favored Shantae we'd still have no definite clue.

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Most of the roster already had to represent something, Mario is pretty much Nintendo as a whole, DK is the beginning (in success at least), ROB is the industry saver, Link is Action/Adventure, Megaman represents NES Hard and is a major contributor to the NES, if Ryu got in then he would represent fighting games as a whole, etc. The worst thing I can see from including Shantae is that she would be the one indie representation. But that's the thing. One. Indie. Representation. I can barely see how the inclusion of one indie character would turn everything into MUGEN if everyone on the roster has a reason for being there. I'm definitely sure people who would try to use the "Shantae card" for character suggestion would forget that Shantae would represent the eshop/dsiware or at least the Nintendo indie scene. I am still baffled as to how many people see Shantae as the successor to Shrek and Goku, c'mon now.

Last edited:

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
I don't mean to start ****, but good lord did you see some of them talking about "Oh, Shantae's inclusion will lead to stuff like Goku and Shrek!"
That's silly, they're silly. I legit think that a majority of the posters in there are just straight-up favoring their favorite character and putting down the rest. (including us, if I'm wrong, then I'm sorry.)
Nonetheless, it's all just speculation in the end. Even if everyone favored Shantae we'd still have no definite clue.
Can't really argue, honestly. While it is true that the 3rd party characters so far have all been legendary or iconic within the gaming industry, who says that Smash is going to continue that tradition? Sakurai's gone back on many things before anyway, and apparently the ballot is open to any character that's originated from a video game. Personally, I don't really think she needs to be "legendary" to have a shot, as she's a bit of a special case. By special case I mean...well, indie. It's something that hasn't been represented (playable, anyway) in Smash, and with the growing popularity of indie games (particularly those on Nintendo consoles) I'd say it's too soon to just rule her out.

...But that's just my opinion, which doesn't really mean much. There's just too many unknown factors to be able to properly judge a character's chances (unless they're a veteran or something), and between the ballot being very unspecific aside from "Any video game character!" and Sakurai's words not really meaning too much, this whole thing is just more confusing. Maybe I'm just wishful or biased, but I wouldn't really take to heart anyone's estimated chances or opinions on any character. For now, all we can really do is wait and see.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Can't really argue, honestly. While it is true that the 3rd party characters so far have all been legendary or iconic within the gaming industry, who says that Smash is going to continue that tradition? Sakurai's gone back on many things before anyway, and apparently the ballot is open to any character that's originated from a video game. Personally, I don't really think she needs to be "legendary" to have a shot, as she's a bit of a special case. By special case I mean...well, indie. It's something that hasn't been represented (playable, anyway) in Smash, and with the growing popularity of indie games (particularly those on Nintendo consoles) I'd say it's too soon to just rule her out.

...But that's just my opinion, which doesn't really mean much. There's just too many unknown factors to be able to properly judge a character's chances (unless they're a veteran or something), and between the ballot being very unspecific aside from "Any video game character!" and Sakurai's words not really meaning too much, this whole thing is just more confusing. Maybe I'm just wishful or biased, but I wouldn't really take to heart anyone's estimated chances or opinions on any character. For now, all we can really do is wait and see.
Yeah, but nonetheless, Shantae's got something over 3rd party characters who were never with Nintendo or video games in general, and it's that she's an indie that has been loyal to Nintendo longer than any other indie (correct me if I'm wrong). And Nintendo broke the tradition of "only iconic/legendary characters" long ago with some of their more obscure picks imo.

Her inclusion would not magically mean that non-Nintendo 3rd parties (Freddy, Goku, etc.) would get in, unless Nintendo wanted to do that too. In fact, it could give room for characters like Shovel Knight and Quote.

Either way, though, it is true we know all too little about who can and can't win. As of right now literally anyone has a chance, though we can best conclude that characters that are getting more votes will be favored over characters with very little votes, as (most of) the top picks are sane choices.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I agree. People are blowing the "Indie" title way out of proportion. I can understand her chances being low versus Nintendo IPs (and Banjo & Kazooie if we're grasping at straws), but it's hardly fair to simply say "no way, she's Indie, get the hell out" when comparing her to other third party (or other Indie!) characters. I've looked all over the web and I certainly haven't seen this kind of **** with Shovel Knight!

You know what, since Shovel Knight is apparently the current Indie frontrunner, let's compare the two:

----------

Shantae:
  • $800,000+ kickstarter funds for latest game
  • three games so far, primarily on Nintendo consoles, one back as far as the Game Boy Color
  • series popularity has been picking up steadily after WayForward went full-on indie, last two games were wildly successful
  • has some Japanese following, one game released overseas (though with no translation... huh)
  • people's general response: "hurr she's indie she has no chance"
Shovel Knight:
  • $300,000+ kickstarter funds
  • just one game
  • very popular among Western shores
  • no Japanese following, Japanese translation hasn't even begun yet
  • people's general response: "HOLY **** HE'S PERFECT"
----------

By any reasonable logic, either Shantae wins by a landslide or Shovel Knight is condemned for the same reason she is... or at least that should be the case, but as seen with the general responses it just... isn't. Hypocrisy and favoritism!

I thought I was being realistic with my post in the "rate my chances" thread even if 25% was a bit too hopeful, but people are still playing the "Indie" card a page later even though Shantae quite honestly doesn't have as much going against her as everyone thinks. Her chances should be the same as any other third party submission.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i been voting in that thread since the reboot and since than i have given both k rool,dixie and isaac higher scores than i gave shantae so i think i can i'm not biased in the polls.However in my opinion i would like to shantae more and to see people saying that her being in the game would make the roster more like mugen(which isn't even possible seeing how the roster we have is fulled with nintendo and gaming icons and no random characters like goku,spongebob,etc but whatever) is a bit painful.I never expected her to do great and i know she was gonna get trashed going in but really the things they are saying is a bit uncalled for even if you don't support the character

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Honestly, I agree. People are blowing the "Indie" title way out of proportion. I can understand her chances being low versus Nintendo IPs (and Banjo & Kazooie if we're grasping at straws), but it's hardly fair to simply say "no way, she's Indie, get the hell out" when comparing her to other third party (or other Indie!) characters. I've looked all over the web and I certainly haven't seen this kind of **** with Shovel Knight!

You know what, since Shovel Knight is apparently the current Indie frontrunner, let's compare the two:

----------

Shantae:
  • three games so far, primarily on Nintendo consoles, one back as far as the Game Boy Color
  • series popularity has been picking up steadily after WayForward went full-on indie, last two games were wildly successful
  • has some Japanese following, translation by Inti-Creates in progress for the third and fourth games
Shovel Knight:
  • just one game
----------

By any reasonable logic, Shantae either wins by a landslide or Shovel Knight is condemned for the same reason she is... or at least that should be the case, but as seen with the general responses it just... isn't. Hypocrisy and favoritism!

I thought I was being realistic with my post in the "rate my chances" thread even if 25% was a bit too hopeful, but people are still playing the "Indie" card a page later even though Shantae quite honestly doesn't have as much going against her as everyone thinks. Her chances should be the same as any other third party submission.
Yo, I saw one dude that pretty much disliked Shantae for indie reasons, then in the same post nominated for Shovel Knight to be predicted next.

Also, can we get a source on Inti-Creates translating Shantae games? We could use this a lot.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
http://www.destructoid.com/inti-creates-contributing-art-to-both-new-shantae-games-262006.phtml

Well now I'm kicking myself, because it appears I might have been mistaken; it seems they're contributing artwork, but there's no mention of a translation. My bad! Though I find it somewhat odd that a Japanese company wouldn't be doing both, especially after Risky's Revenge was localized for Japan...

This doesn't change the fact that Shantae has had exposure in Japan though. That's still more than a significant number of third parties/indies can say for themselves.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
http://www.destructoid.com/inti-creates-contributing-art-to-both-new-shantae-games-262006.phtml

Well now I'm kicking myself, because it appears I might have been mistaken; it seems they're contributing artwork, but there's no mention of a translation. My bad! Though I find it somewhat odd that a Japanese company wouldn't be doing both, especially after Risky's Revenge was localized for Japan...

This doesn't change the fact that Shantae has had exposure in Japan though. That's still more than a significant number of third parties/indies can say for themselves.
Another reason why Shantae needs to be in Smash Bros imo. I'm sure Japan wouldn't mind Shantae if it was in their language. In all honesty I wanna say that Japan is to Shantae as America is to Earthbound, in the sense that there's more support for these games than you'd think, but what it needs is a push to get it hip and happening. Smash Bros is usually that push for anything, just look at Roy in Melee, or Shulk now.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

While, we'll wait & see, then it's best to keep on voting #ShantaeForSmash, regardless the tediousness of voting for your video game characters all day, everyday for them to enter The Futuristic world of SMASH! P.S: We don't have choice, but we've gotta keep feeling to our #ShantaeForSmash, tho! (Sigh)
SSB4, SHANTAE!.jpg

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

----------

Shantae:
  • has some Japanese following, translation by Inti-Creates in progress for the third and fourth games
Shovel Knight:
  • just one game
----------

By any reasonable logic, either Shantae wins by a landslide or Shovel Knight is condemned for the same reason she is... or at least that should be the case, but as seen with the general responses it just... isn't. Hypocrisy and favoritism!

Apparently, Shantae already wins by having a history with Nintendo between Game Boy Color & even Game Boy Advance & player for both having special features enhancements without a doubt and for Shovel Knight he just came out last year and fans giving him The biggest jump through loophole of negativity to speak for itself in some very extraordinary kind of way! WOW, LOL! P.S: #ShantaeForSmash
Shantae in Zero Suit!.jpg

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Yeah, that bugs me as well. Sure Shovel Knight is a good character in all, but everyone forgets he's an indie character as well. But if Shantae is mention, its an instant "she can't, she's an indie char..." No respect for Shantae.

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that bugs me as well. Sure Shovel Knight is a good character in all, but everyone forgets he's an indie character as well. But if Shantae is mention, its an instant "she can't, she's an indie char..." No respect for Shnate.
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is only serving to strengthen my will and my drive to prove them all wrong.
No matter how "impossible" it may seem, I have made this choice, and I am sticking with it until the bitter end.
I. Will. Not. Die.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is only serving to strengthen my will and my drive to prove them all wrong.
No matter how "impossible" it may seem, I have made this choice, and I am sticking with it until the bitter end.
I. Will. Not. Die.
Some elitist thoughts ain't gonna stop us. We've got more support in other places, these guys just don't see it.
If the time comes that Shovel Knight is discussed, give your honest views, but watch for those "anti-indie" guys magically voting positively for the guy, and start calling that out.
Shantae has traits that give her a good chance, no matter what some dude says. The goal here is to prove that Shantae has those traits, not to try to force people into voting for her.

I need to know where you get these images... for reasons.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well, got something cool for ya. After working for the past couple of days, I am ready to provide the first of what I will be calling campaign cards!

What do you all think? I put a lot of work into getting the general format for these right..

So far I have one other card produced.

You might notice that one has a franchise Icon behind it. Well... I decided to just scrap icons for characters that don't have a good franchise symbol that can be used. (It has to be black, and I have to be able to add an outline, like you one you see in Midna's). I tried making one for Shantae, but it ended up coming out blurred, and took away from the card.

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Final results on the Chance Rating in case y'all are curious:

Chance: 9.17%
Want: 46.48%

Sigh... Can't say I wasn't expecting as much.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253

At least the want is relatively high. But again, these are just the views of a part of a community (that might I add, didn't do much research) so this really shouldn't affect us. I'm really thinking anyone who can vote for Shantae has already done so, and are encouraged by this thread, her poll popularity, and other factors.
In the case someone unsure has doubts, as always we should present evidence.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

Even then, like we could really get an idea for this sort of thing. We can't get an idea of a characters chances/ their place in the ballot with just a single source.. While Shovel Knight, for example seems to dominate this site lately (hopefully we can change that), Shantae dominates 8Chan. There isn't a way to see how well a character is doing officially.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Well if it's any consolation, I'd say 9.17% is a pretty impressive score for a third party character. I don't know how many of you followed the original "rate their chances" game that we did last year, but third party characters would almost always get destroyed in that (unless of course it was Pacman) usually finishing with scores from 1% - 3%. As for Shovel Knight, he will likely not do any better.

Also we turned out to be wrong about almost everything, most of us thought Chrom, Ridley, and King K. Rool would be playable and almost no one believed in Duck Hunt. So maybe you guys will prove us wrong again. :)

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
At least the want is relatively high. But again, these are just the views of a part of a community (that might I add, didn't do much research) so this really shouldn't affect us. I'm really thinking anyone who can vote for Shantae has already done so, and are encouraged by this thread, her poll popularity, and other factors.
In the case someone unsure has doubts, as always we should present evidence.
I see alot of YouTube comments of people saying that voted for shantae and u seen I few deviant art post with people trying to get her in smash.So that's something

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Some elitist thoughts ain't gonna stop us. We've got more support in other places, these guys just don't see it.
If the time comes that Shovel Knight is discussed, give your honest views, but watch for those "anti-indie" guys magically voting positively for the guy, and start calling that out.
Shantae has traits that give her a good chance, no matter what some dude says. The goal here is to prove that Shantae has those traits, not to try to force people into voting for her.

I need to know where you get these images... for reasons.
I got those images from Deventant Art and look what I've found on YouTube:
P.S: #ShantaeForSmash CBs_TeAUgAAs7s1 Shantae.png

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Well if it's any consolation, I'd say 9.17% is a pretty impressive score for a third party character. I don't know how many of you followed the original "rate their chances" game that we did last year, but third party characters would almost always get destroyed in that (unless of course it was Pacman) usually finishing with scores from 1% - 3%. As for Shovel Knight, he will likely not do any better.

Also we turned out to be wrong about almost everything, most of us thought Chrom, Ridley, and King K. Rool would be playable and almost no one believed in Duck Hunt. So maybe you guys will prove us wrong again. :)
I thank you for your respect and professionalism, good sir.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, got something cool for ya. After working for the past couple of days, I am ready to provide the first of what I will be calling campaign cards!

What do you all think? I put a lot of work into getting the general format for these right..

So far I have one other card produced.

You might notice that one has a franchise Icon behind it. Well... I decided to just scrap icons for characters that don't have a good franchise symbol that can be used. (It has to be black, and I have to be able to add an outline, like you one you see in Midna's). I tried making one for Shantae, but it ended up coming out blurred, and took away from the card.
These are pretty swell! Do you take requests, by any chance? :3

Good call on the series icon, by the way. I can respect your decision if it means producing a better card.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
These are pretty swell! Do you take requests, by any chance? :3

Good call on the series icon, by the way. I can respect your decision if it means producing a better card.
Heya! I actually do, to some extent anyway... the rules for these cards are a bit different than how I do the icons. The general rules are: The character has to have an active (not locked) support campaign of a decent age on these forums, and the character must be a Video game character. These card's primary purpose is to benefit the supporters/owners of various campaigns throughout the site! ^_^ If you wanna check it out, click into the thread I have set up for the cards in my signature. You can make a request there.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
My idea for a Shantae Trailer

The trailer starts in a black screen where you here the Smash announcer talk about the cast.
"Super Smash Bros is a game that brings together the most iconic and obscure characters in gaming history to duke it out in an all out brawl. From the world renowned..." The scene shows pictures of Pac-Man, Mario, Luigi, Pikachu, Mega Man, and Sonic. "...To the obscure." The scene then cuts to our lone half genie hero sitting on her hammock in her lighthouse when a letter falls through the window. She catches it and opens it.

"SHANTAE DANCES TO ACTION!"

*Insert gameplay here*

The trailer ends with Shantae trying to show Peach and Rosalina how to belly dance.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Heya! I actually do, to some extent anyway... the rules for these cards are a bit different than how I do the icons. The general rules are: The character has to have an active (not locked) support campaign of a decent age on these forums, and the character must be a Video game character. These card's primary purpose is to benefit the supporters/owners of various campaigns throughout the site! ^_^ If you wanna check it out, click into the thread I have set up for the cards in my signature. You can make a request there.
Hey, @ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker ! I requested you to make a icon for Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja-DS, 2006
Izuna Ninja!.jpg
P.S: Still, #ShantaeForSmash, my fellow Shantae-ians! SSB4, SHANTAE!.jpg

Top Bottom