• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

blujay1524

Smash Cadet
WayForward are now going Exclusively for Mobile Apple Watch Apps Games and especially ShantaeForSmash y'all:
Did anyone notice the ending of the Runbow trailer? Specifically the silhouettes? Also I tweeted to WayForward and 13amGames:

"@WayForward while we're all on the topic of guest stars, I think Shantae would be a perfect fit for @13amgames #Runbow"

& both companies favorited it...I would buy this game (which I currently don't have much interest in) if Shantae was in it.

---

@ SegaNintendoUbisoft SegaNintendoUbisoft : Pirate's Curse is the best one imho

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Did anyone notice the ending of the Runbow trailer? Specifically the silhouettes? Also I tweeted to WayForward and 13amGames:

"@WayForward while we're all on the topic of guest stars, I think Shantae would be a perfect fit for @13amgames #Runbow"

& both companies favorited it...I would buy this game (which I currently don't have much interest in) if Shantae was in it.

---

@ SegaNintendoUbisoft SegaNintendoUbisoft : Pirate's Curse is the best one imho
Hmm... very fishy indeed...

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Anyone else getting the impression that Shantae is getting too many games? I still want her in Smash, and I'm still going to vote for her, but a few months ago she got Pirate's Curse, Half-Genie Hero is presumably not far away, and there's talk of here getting a smartphone game, too. I like the character, and want her to show up in Smash, but I'm afraid Shantae will become a no-effort cash cow franchise like Assassin't Creed or (insert popular first-person shooter here).

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Anyone else getting the impression that Shantae is getting too many games? I still want her in Smash, and I'm still going to vote for her, but a few months ago she got Pirate's Curse, Half-Genie Hero is presumably not far away, and there's talk of here getting a smartphone game, too. I like the character, and want her to show up in Smash, but I'm afraid Shantae will become a no-effort cash cow franchise like Assassin't Creed or (insert popular first-person shooter here).
I don't really see it. I mean Half-Genie Hero can't even be judged yet because it's not even out yet. (I HATE people that try to judge a game they haven't even played... its a pet peeve of mine)

And actually its not a smartphone game their working on.. its a game called WatchQuest, which will be, you guessed it, exclusive to the iwatch. considering the platform... I'm pretty sure Watchquest is just a side thing to try to get more money for the series/company in general. You also have to keep two things in mind. First, these guys are still an indie developer, as much as I hate to say it... and Shantae is just not big enough right now to not need things like this. (I mean Half-Genie Hero was produced through kickstarter funds... let that sink in just a minute.) I kinda wonder how much these guys are even making. I mean it must not be enough for them to not be able to produce a clear flagship title without help...

Now if she got in Smash? "Maybe" it could give her the limelight she desperately needs, and we wouldn't need to worry about this sort of thing. Then again, I dunno.

Over all, no need to worry over two games (One of which will probably be a fun Wii U experience, and the other will probably either be a pass over, or side thing.)

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
FNAF is not even a year old and we already got 3 soooo...

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
FNAF is not even a year old and we already got 3 soooo...
Let me put this into perspective for a moment, incase you're unaware

Those FNAF games are made in a program called click team fusion 2. Scott basically makes 3D renders/models, and animations, and converts them into images and gifs for that program. The process is actually a LOT simpler than making a game with actual models and what not... This is also part of the reason why he was able to pump out so many, in such a short time frame.

Lets not compare that to a series like Shantae, ok? lol

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Let me put this into perspective for a moment, incase you're unaware

Those FNAF games are made in a program called click team fusion 2. Scott basically makes 3D renders/models, and animations, and converts them into images and gifs for that program. The process is actually a LOT simpler than making a game with actual models and what not... This is also part of the reason why he was able to pump out so many, in such a short time frame.

Lets not compare that to a series like Shantae, ok? lol
Wasn't...I'm well aware of the simplicity behind FNAF, as opposed to Shantae which much like other side scrolling platformers takes a bit more work...just pointing it out...

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Wasn't...I'm well aware of the simplicity behind FNAF, as opposed to Shantae which much like other side scrolling platformers takes a bit more work...just pointing it out...
Oh I know. I find the game's lore to be interesting... but the work is definitely not comparable to the likes of other titles that have much more work and effort put into them (not to say Scott didn't put effort into those games... I mean those renders had to have been made from scratch after all)

Also hope I didn't come off as aggressive with that previous statement. Was just leaving that out there to inform people ^_^.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Oh I know. I find the game's lore to be interesting... but the work is definitely not comparable to the likes of other titles that have much more work and effort put into them (not to say Scott didn't put effort into those games... I mean those renders had to have been made from scratch after all)

Also hope I didn't come off as aggressive with that previous statement. Was just leaving that out there to inform people ^_^.
No worries, kinda figured with the 'lol' at the end...

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I don't really see it. I mean Half-Genie Hero can't even be judged yet because it's not even out yet. (I HATE people that try to judge a game they haven't even played... its a pet peeve of mine)

And actually its not a smartphone game their working on.. its a game called WatchQuest, which will be, you guessed it, exclusive to the iwatch. considering the platform... I'm pretty sure Watchquest is just a side thing to try to get more money for the series/company in general. You also have to keep two things in mind. First, these guys are still an indie developer, as much as I hate to say it... and Shantae is just not big enough right now to not need things like this. (I mean Half-Genie Hero was produced through kickstarter funds... let that sink in just a minute.) I kinda wonder how much these guys are even making. I mean it must not be enough for them to not be able to produce a clear flagship title without help...

Now if she got in Smash? "Maybe" it could give her the limelight she desperately needs, and we wouldn't need to worry about this sort of thing. Then again, I dunno.

Over all, no need to worry over two games (One of which will probably be a fun Wii U experience, and the other will probably either be a pass over, or side thing.)
I'm not trying to judge Half-Genie Hero, I'm just trying to point out that good games take time to make, and the fact that these are coming out so quickly is concerning. Due to my personal policy against buying digital games on consoles, and since WayForward apparently can't code for **** on PCs, the only Shantae game I've been able to play is the first one. It seemed like it was developed with care by people who were trying to make something good, instead of people who were only in it for the money. Unfortunately, WayForward is known mostly for producing licensed games, which have a reputation in gaming for being cheap cash-in that are almost universally terrible. Even if a game was developed by people who care, that doesn't mean that businessmen won't try to come in and mess it up in the search for ever-higher profits, while destroying the good thing they had going for them. Look at Assassin's Creed 1. Sure, the gameplay is unconventional and certain aspects are a little unpolished, but the storyline is solid and it's one of the more memorable games I've played (which is saying a lot, coming from me). Then AC2 came around, and the smart story was dumbed down quite a bit and the mechanics were reworked to be more gamey. Assassin's Creed became a yearly release and almost everyone agreed that the series suffered for it. I don't want the same thing to happen to Shantae.

Undoubtedly, adding Shantae to Smash is great marketing and will boost the series' popularity immensely, but maybe it's also a good thing if she doesn't make it in.

Maybe this was the wrong place to talk about this, I've been to the Isaac thread and figured this was sorta like a Shantae social.

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
I'm not trying to judge Half-Genie Hero, I'm just trying to point out that good games take time to make, and the fact that these are coming out so quickly is concerning. Due to my personal policy against buying digital games on consoles, and since WayForward apparently can't code for **** on PCs, the only Shantae game I've been able to play is the first one. It seemed like it was developed with care by people who were trying to make something good, instead of people who were only in it for the money. Unfortunately, WayForward is known mostly for producing licensed games, which have a reputation in gaming for being cheap cash-in that are almost universally terrible. Even if a game was developed by people who care, that doesn't mean that businessmen won't try to come in and mess it up in the search for ever-higher profits, while destroying the good thing they had going for them. Look at Assassin's Creed 1. Sure, the gameplay is unconventional and certain aspects are a little unpolished, but the storyline is solid and it's one of the more memorable games I've played (which is saying a lot, coming from me). Then AC2 came around, and the smart story was dumbed down quite a bit and the mechanics were reworked to be more gamey. Assassin's Creed became a yearly release and almost everyone agreed that the series suffered for it. I don't want the same thing to happen to Shantae.

Undoubtedly, adding Shantae to Smash is great marketing and will boost the series' popularity immensely, but maybe it's also a good thing if she doesn't make it in.

Maybe this was the wrong place to talk about this, I've been to the Isaac thread and figured this was sorta like a Shantae social.
The difference between WayForward making a licensed game and their own series is that they can take their time to refine their own work while the licensed game has a set budget and a set deadline enforced by their contractor. Even though it was a struggle for many of us Shantae fans to wait for Pirate's Curse to finally come out, they delayed it for it's own good to ensure it was top-notch. You can't really do that with licensed games. I'm pretty sure WayForward would want to keep their IPs in tip top shape especially at the rate they're going at.

Also the Assassin's Creed titles have been released annually with demanding deadlines for a while now and they have a huge team with a bunch of people taking control of its production making way for conflicting ideas and radical changes. WayForward is a much smaller team thus (I assume at least) they have more coordination than Ubisoft.

That's how I see it at least.

Potatoharbinger

Smash Rookie

I understand and empathize with your mistrust of quickly released, corporate funded games(*cough* AC Unity *cough*). Sad to hear about your personal policy against digital games, Risky's Revenge and Pirate's curse are both very good games. Wayforward does a lot of licensed games, but all of the Shantae games are self published, and money is raised through crowdfunding and donations mostly. There currently isn't an ETA that i'm personally aware of for Half-Genie Hero, but I cant imagine it will be fully done and released until at least the end of this year if not the beginning of 2016 due to the push back of the release in 2014 date to add extra content to the game that the fans raised money for. You are more than in the right to mistrust some companies, but Wayforward has delivered high quality games time and time again in the Shantae series and I personally think that Shantaes inclusion will net Wayforward some needed publicity, but won't have their future games reach AAA levels of atrocity and sparkly graphics. If anything, the increase in popularity and surely profits would warrant higher expectations than those we already have for their original IP's.

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice

In a way, you're absolutely right.
Shantae's inclusion in Smash could very well be a double-edged sword: bringing great amounts of attention to a franchise that most would agree deserve it, but could also very well tarnish such a well-loved series by exposing it to the public eye - and by extension - those who may seek to use it for pure profit.

But I would also argue that perhaps such a risk is necessary to allow this franchise to ascend to a place few can only dream of. If nothing else, Wayforward seems more than willing to see this through, so why shouldn't we - the fans only wishing the best for our beloved half-genie hero? No goal without risk is worth taking as far as I'm concerned, and if we allow Shantae to remain in obscurity, who knows what may become of it? Half-Genie Hero only exists thanks to the generosity of the Kickstarter patrons, those who wish to see these games happen time and again, but who's to say what the future holds should this trend continue?

In my best effort to avoid any form of misgivings or hostility, I will say with confidence that I believe in Wayforward's dream, as well as their ability to ensure quality in the future - even with the increase in attention Shantae's inclusion in Smash would bring. This is a once-in-a-lifetime, golden opportunity that I feel we cannot let simply pass by us. For Wayforward's sake, for Shantae's sake, and for our own sake, as fans of a beautiful cult classic.

I make no claims that my feelings are fact, but I also will not deny them.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

Actually, Shantae shall make it in SMASH as a New DLC playable fighter in my personal free T-I-M-E and especially WayForward shall be completely 100% thrilled about their Shantae is finally confirmed as a New DLC fighter in SMASH that is if her votes are at most numerous counts by True fans supporters, new comers with no negativity setbacks on their personal minds and I are doing the best we can to vote #ShantaeForSmash all day every day! Because, Shantae is L-O-V-E and Shantae is L-I-F-E of a wish can be granted with passion within yourselves of choice! P.S: AlphaOmegaSin, even talk about our precious ShantaeForSmash on his YouTube Channel and btw Game The F# on for our #ShantaeForSmash!

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Man, all this fan art is looking great. I had actually done a sketch of Shantae quite awhile ago after seeing the Rayman smashified.

Being a simple sketch (and a bit dated), it doesn't look anywhere NEAR as good as the other ones shown in this topic, but I figure it's a decent way to show support. Maybe I'll update it soon.
Yours still looks nice, I like it. Hope to see you do more sometime.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
It's been a while since I've been here, it's great seeing so much support for Shantae to become DLC infact I'd like to share a recent fanart I made

I hope it isn't too big if anyone wants to know it's titled "Two Sides, One Genie"

Last edited:

Volaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Volaro
3DS FC
2707-2096-3929
Sign me up as support~ Of all the indie characters being suggested, Shantae is without a doubt the most deserving, imo.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Maybe it's just me but what's wrong with shantae having a lot of exposure?her series is about 13 years old and is outside the hardcore community and some casuals most games don't even know who she is.Half genie gero,her mobile games,hopefully smash,etc in my eyes are a good thing as they are getting her nameto people who don't know her or people who want to give her a change

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

I could see where the worry could come from.. but yeah. There is a difference from the licensed games, and series unique to the company. What that other fellow said was right too. Licensed games have a set budget, and a set time to get the stuff done. Also... lets think about something for a moment. Lets pretend that all of their licensed titles didn't exist, and they tried to just produce Shantae...

...It would have failed. Think about Shantae's start. It started for the Gameboy Color in 2002... That was near the end of that handheld's life. That caused that game to be limited in release. If Wayforward didn't produce those other titles to keep them afloat, that game would have been considered a failure, and we probably wouldn't have never seen the name again...

Theres a difference between Wayforward and whatever company that produces Assassin's Creed. The latter is a AAA title. (Most of those are often cash cows)

Wayforward is an indie company. The exposure would do a lot of good for Shantae. Think about what Smash did for the likes of Earthbound. and Fire Emblem for that matter..

If Shantae grew in popularity, and became more profitable, Wayforward probably wouldn't need all of those licensed titles. They would focus their time and energy on their main franchises.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
http://i.imgur.com/yR2ZPCq.png
Sent to me by a friend of mine. Apparently the results of a poll on Reddit, for those interested.
If we consider Roy is all but confirmed and take out Waluigi, Ridley and the like Shantae is looking pretty good. Still behind Krystal though.

Krystal board would be happy to know she's number 7 if you take out the third parties, Roy and the impossible ones

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
If we consider Roy is all but confirmed and take out Waluigi, Ridley and the like Shantae is looking pretty good. Still behind Krystal though.

Krystal board would be happy to know she's number 7 if you take out the third parties, Roy and the impossible ones
All things considered, it's not as bad as it seems.
Besides, it is only among Reddit users.

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
If we do filter out the stupid/impossible stuff from the Reddit poll and used the more realistic options, it would end up like this:

1) Banjo & Kazooie
2) Isaac
3) K. Rool
4) Shovel Knight
5) Solid Snake
6) Wolf
7) Krystal
8) Shantae
9) Rayman
10) Wonder Red

*Paper Mario, Bayonetta, Inkling (Splatoon isn't even out yet holy crap guys) and Ice Climbers removed from Top 10
*Roy (due to the possible FE concert announcement), Geno (because clingy-no-share-y Squeenix), Waluigi and Ridley removed from bottom set

That's... actually a lot better than I'd expect from a Reddit poll. Only one clone!

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
No love for Impa on reddit apparently...

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
If we do filter out the stupid/impossible stuff from the Reddit poll and used the more realistic options, it would end up like this:

*Paper Mario, Bayonetta, Inkling (Splatoon isn't even out yet holy crap guys) and Ice Climbers removed from Top 10
*Roy (due to the possible FE concert announcement), Geno (because clingy-no-share-y Squeenix), Waluigi and Ridley removed from bottom set
I don't think that is really a fair to claim any option as being stupid, impossible, or unrealistic, unless it is a vote made to troll like Shrek or Coldsteel. After all, Nintendo presented themselves with an open mind for the Smash Ballot announcement, even using Cat Mario as an example for a vote.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that is really a fair to claim any option as being stupid, impossible, or unrealistic, unless it is a vote made to troll like Shrek or Coldsteel. After all, Nintendo presented themselves with an open mind for the Smash Ballot announcement, even using Cat Mario as an example for a vote.
Eh, I admit to nixing more options than I probably should have, but if I hadn't then Shantae wouldn't even have gotten into the Top 10.

I completely forgot about the Cat Mario example D:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650

1) Banjo & Kazooie
2) Isaac
3) K. Rool
4) Shovel Knight
5) Solid Snake
6) Wolf
7) Krystal
8) Shantae
9) Rayman
10) Wonder Red

That's... actually a lot better than I'd expect from a Reddit poll. Only one clone!
I think Wolf and Banjo-Kazooie should be taken out as well.(Wolf is probably one of the Predetermined characters like Ryu and Roy)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Eh, I admit to nixing more options than I probably should have, but if I hadn't then Shantae wouldn't even have gotten into the Top 10.

I completely forgot about the Cat Mario example D:
Well I mean there are other questionable options too, Shantae being one of them. Shantae and Shovel Knight being indie characters is one of the most negative points used against them. And Banjo being a Microsoft property is one of the most vexing things that may end up making him lose his chances.

But I do have faith that Shantae and Shovel Knight are being considered, since being an indie character isn't really all that much of a downside. It really isn't much different from being a 3rd party character, aside from not sharing the issue of a pre-determined budget or time frame to release a game in. Both factors of which don't even apply to their consideration of being in Smash.So I think we are all good. Haha.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I think Wolf and Banjo-Kazooie should be taken out as well.(Wolf is probably one of the Predetermined characters like Ryu and Roy)
Why Banjo & Kazooie? They have a very big following just as the others do. Heck if you take them out of consideration, you might as well take Rayman out too.

Personally I don't think its really fair to disregard any particular candidate. Heck you know we would probably go ballistic if someone just up and counted Shantae done and out. There is no need to get biased on this stuff ^_^

Unless you were thinking they are a predetermined.. which I doubt >_>

Graizen

Smash Champion
After Mewtwo + 7 there are 5 additional “Mario”s listed. This means, that there are 5 additional unused characters in the fighter table in the latest update. Right now, we know for sure that Lucas is coming. After Lucas, it is heavily suggested that Roy (Fire Emblem) and Ryu (Street Fighter) will be incoming as DLC. Therefore, we have two additional slots for DLC. Whether the two slots will be used for the ballot results, or for pre-ballot result DLC is unknown. Stay tuned for additional information.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/all-about-ryu-and-roys-files/

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Why Banjo & Kazooie? They have a very big following just as the others do. Heck if you take them out of consideration, you might as well take Rayman out too.

Personally I don't think its really fair to disregard any particular candidate. Heck you know we would probably go ballistic if someone just up and counted Shantae done and out. There is no need to get biased on this stuff ^_^

Unless you were thinking they are a predetermined.. which I doubt >_>
It just that a lot of people don't think it will happen and that Phil Spencer only said that because Microsoft is making a new Banjo game, which i really, REALLY doubt.

Top Bottom