• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hi I'm new :)
When the Palutena leak came out I found this rumor (I like to call it the "Angry Rumor")

"Hello , I'm a friend of a person who works with Nintendo on SSB4 .
Some days ago he argued with someone and he was so angry that he told me some things about the game :
Palutena is playable
Little Mac is playable and the ring is his stage
Ridley is playable and a stage hazard in the Pyrosphere , but Masahiro wants to show before the hazard to troll the fans (he knows Ridley is popular)
King K Rool is not playable
Geno is not playable
Sami is an assist trophy
Primid is an assist trophy
Pokemon Stadium 3 is a new stage (fairy type is one of the five which appear)
Nintendo Land is a new stage
Miiverse is a new stage"

What do you think ?
Miiverse, lol.
I'd be fine with this "leak."

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When the Palutena leak came out I found this rumor (I like to call it the "Angry Rumor")

Some days ago he argued with someone and he was so angry that he told me some things about the game :
Palutena is playable
Ridley is playable and a stage hazard in the Pyrosphere , but Masahiro wants to show before the hazard to troll the fans (he knows Ridley is popular)
Geno is not playable
Sami is an assist trophy
Miiverse is a new stage"

What do you think ?
Welcome to the boards!
What is the source for this (highly questionable) rumor?

Doc Croca

Smash Rookie

Palutena is playable
Geno is not playable
Sami is an assist trophy
Miiverse is a new stage"

What do you think ?

I could totally imagine Ridley being a playable character AND a stage hazard. That's a thing Sakurai would totally pull off

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Welcome to the boards!
What is the source for this (highly questionable) rumor?
Thank you :)
However I remember I read it on "My Nintendo News" when the Palutena Leak came out ,the writer said only that he took it from Gamefaqs .

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Say, does anyone know what became of Serebii? During the Brawl leak frenzy, he was able to disconfirm a number of fake leaks due to his knowledge of which Pokemon were in the game (basically, any list that included Mewtwo as playable and didn't include Lucario).
Joe (aka Serebii) still post everyday on NeoGAF, on Nintendo-related threads. I don't see him much in Smash-related threads, though. He didn't leak anything about Pokémon XY, so I doubt he will be involved with Smash leaks.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder what will happen with the fanbase if we don't get them again. Will people just give up on the franchise? I can't imagine people will complain this badly again. At this point it's not really Sakurai being "stupid", it's him clearly not being interested in making those characters playable. Hell, in that one interview with Nintendo Power, it didn't even sound like the idea had even crossed his mind to make Ridley playable.

Also PoR was last on FAQs 2 years ago in 2012. Which lines up with what Yosuke said (he said the last time he had actively talked with her was 2 years ago - this is before he had the recent chat with her where she told him that small amount of info).
Well, people will give lip service to "hardworking genius" Sakurai no matter what he does. At this point, if we don't get Ridley and K. Rool, they would be exclusions of an unprecedented magnitude; this isn't like Melee or Brawl, where a few big names missed out, but the biggest three or four made it, because those two are in that position this time around. Sakurai would have sat down and, through the same thought process that resulted in him including tripping and allocating 60% of Brawl's development to the SSE, decided they weren't worth the effort, or weren't original enough, or that other characters were better priorities.

Basically, there would be a whole lot of depression from both groups, but particularly from the Ridley fans, since, if Sakurai himself is a Too Bigot, there's nothing left to do for them but hope his arm falls off and someone with better priorities takes the helm next game.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
For those wondering about Serebii, from my understanding, he doesn't post leaks anymore. There was a hole snafoo back in Diamond and Pearl where he and some other dudes leaked the English names or whatever and they got into trouble and, for his own protection, Serebii does not leak further, as he does not wish to be in trouble again.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I could totally imagine Ridley being a playable character AND a stage hazard. That's a thing Sakurai would totally pull off
Still, if he wanted to troll Ridley fans to the maximum, he would have shown Ridley as a stage hazard and then later as playable before showing Toon Link as a stage hazard and playable, just because before that reveal everybody assumed that stage hazard was an absolute deconfirmation. lol

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
However Ridley is my most wanted character and Masahiro MUST add him !!!!!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well, people will give lip service to "hardworking genius" Sakurai no matter what he does. At this point, if we don't get Ridley and K. Rool, they would be exclusions of an unprecedented magnitude; this isn't like Melee or Brawl, where a few big names missed out, but the biggest three or four made it, because those two are in that position this time around. Sakurai would have sat down and, through the same thought process that resulted in him including tripping and allocating 60% of Brawl's development to the SSE, decided they weren't worth the effort, or weren't original enough, or that other characters were better priorities.

Basically, there would be a whole lot of depression from both groups, but particularly from the Ridley fans, since, if Sakurai himself is a Too Bigot, there's nothing left to do for them but hope his arm falls off and someone with better priorities takes the helm next game.
It will indeed be a dark day......a real dark day........

Perhaps he thinks Mewtwo will be enough?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It will indeed be a dark day......a real dark day........

Perhaps he thinks Mewtwo will be enough?
Thing is, he's not adding Mewtwo for the fans. Mewtwo would come at the behest of the Pokemon Company first and foremost. I'd argue that Palutena falls into this category as well, a popular character added because of the developer's biases, not because she had fanbases in both hemispheres.

Really, unless something else came up, we'd have Mega Man and Little Mac as major requested characters, and nobody else. And people would be okay with this because "Sakurai adds what we don't know we like!!!" or "He follows his own vision!!!" Sigh.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Thing is, he's not adding Mewtwo for the fans. Mewtwo would come at the behest of the Pokemon Company first and foremost. I'd argue that Palutena falls into this category as well, a popular character adding because of the developer's biases, not because she had fanbases in both hemispheres.

Really, unless something else came up, we'd have Mega Man and Little Mac as major requested characters, and nobody else. And people would be okay with this because "Sakurai adds what we don't know we like!!!" or "He follows his own vision!!!" Sigh.
So Real....serious....its messed up man....but so true....hold me..

Its so unfair...

Hold me.....

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman

To be honest, I think Mewtwo is most wanted now hands down. I honestly didn't think of that much before but now people are fighting over possibly or past cut characters and new characters. This is the only franchise though that I've seen this happen, in other franchises people have been pretty content with the idea of "If you want to play as a cut character just play the old game" logic. In this it's like Sakurai isn't allowed to explore new characters at the expense of ANY old ones. To be honest if I was in his shoes, I would honestly say at the beginning of development "If you want to play as a character who ends up being cut, then you have the past games they appeared in still. I want to make room for exploring new characters and bringing new fans in."

Last edited:

Reila

I will still buy Smash 4 if Ridley isn't in the game, but damn, I will be very disappointed if that happens. :| There is absolutely no reason to not put the main villain of Metroid in the Smash series already. If he isn't in Smash 4, it is because sakuri hates him or something similar.

Last edited:

toonmarth29

Smash Cadet
if ridley is a stage hazard and a character then wha will replace him? Not meta ridley since it is ridleys remains (looked up since i don't usually play metroid) so what could it be?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Amist the excitement, I've been looking for leaks and found this:
http://www.nintendoforums.com/topic/780-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u3ds/#entry4303
Okay, I'm still a few pages back, just read this, but c'mon , seriously: that is three leaks that are saying that Eevee is a new character (One said Eevee, one said an Eevee Trainer south Sylveon, Glacion, and ... Vaporeon?), and now this one is saying that there's a new Trainer with a Fairy-type (Sylveon) and an Ice-type (Glaceon).)

I don't know about you, but that's way too many coincidences for a character that people aren't even speculating is likely, and I'm not sure about the rest of their proposed rosters and whether they contradict (I believe Dixie is mentioned in all three, though), but that three separate leaks in the past week or two all claim that we're getting a character - and two of them basically said the exact same thing about said character, albeit one more vague due to the info given by the source but still obvious who it is referring to - is suspect.

I wanted to bring attention to this when the second leak mentioning Eevee was posted in the thread, but come on, three? Can we please talk about this? Do what I will now call the "Eevee Triumvirate" contradict each other in terms of characters, especially if one mentions a discomfirmed veteran the others say isn't?

*Goes back to catching up on the 5-7 pages in-between the posting of that leak and the last page*

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be honest, I think Mewtwo is most wanted now hands down. I honestly didn't think of that much before but now people are fighting over possibly or past cut characters and new characters. This is the only franchise though that I've seen this happen, in other franchises people have been pretty content with the idea of "If you want to play as a cut character just play the old game" logic. In this it's like Sakurai isn't allowed to explore new characters at the expense of ANY old ones. To be honest if I was in his shoes, I would honestly say at the beginning of development "If you want to play as a character who ends up being cut, then you have the past games they appeared in still" I want to make room for exploring new characters and bringing new fans in.
Mewtwo is obviously the most wanted, and yet he's a veteran, not a newcomer, and also a character who never should have been cut in the first place. Mewtwo's return should be an obvious correction from developers, not one of a token number of bones thrown to the fans. And I agree in terms of the fat eventually needing to be trimmed from the roster; I think this is pretty much the last game we're going to get with the same consistent cast of veterans. Good thing that, if any of the several 'leaked' rosters happen to be true, there will be plenty of retro and clone fodder to weed out when that time comes.

Last edited:

Reila

On the subject of Eevee, I just find odd that it would be in the game and evolve to only Sylveon, Glaceon and maybe Vaporeon? What about Flareon, Jolteon, Leafeon, Espeon and Umbreon (gee, when will they stop making eeveelutions?). It is definitely weird that three rumors mention the said Pokémon as a newcomer, especially because no one considers it when speculating about the new Pokémon rep.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
As I've said before, there is another possible route should Ridley and/or K. Rool not make it, a route that was unavailable to the past three games: DLC.

Sakurai basically didn't give a flat out no to the concept and simply said they aren't thinking about it atm (which goes without saying since the games are still in development). And should a highly requested character not make it in the initial roster, there still might be a second chance sometime down the road. Sure it would be better if (insert name here) is in the game from the get-go, but regardless at least we have that possible extra lifeline of hope should things not flow as anticipated.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm still a few pages back, just read this, but c'mon , seriously: that is three leaks that are saying that Eevee is a new character (One said Eevee, one said an Eevee Trainer south Sylveon, Glacion, and ... Vaporeon?), and now this one is saying that there's a new Trainer with a Fairy-type (Sylveon) and an Ice-type (Glaceon).)

I don't know about you, but that's way too many coincidences for a character that people aren't even speculating is likely, and I'm not sure about the rest of their proposed rosters and whether they contradict (I believe Dixie is mentioned in all three, though), but that three separate leaks in the past week or two all claim that we're getting a character - and two of them basically said the exact same thing about said character, albeit one more vague due to the info given by the source but still obvious who it is referring to - is suspect.

I wanted to bring attention to this when the second leak mentioning Eevee was posted in the thread, but come on, three? Can we please talk about this? Do what I will now call the "Eevee Triumvirate" contradict each other in terms of characters, especially if one mentions a discomfirmed veteran the others say isn't?

*Goes back to catching up on the 5-7 pages in-between the posting of that leak and the last page*
This is an interesting point. One could argue that one leaker saw it and copied Eevee+evolutions or whatever into their own leak, but these types of copies usually come from inclusions or details that "make sense" such as Diddy being revealed for Tropical Freeze. I remember the most recent Eevee rumor had Snake and the pudding character (Jigglypuff) cut, did the other Eevee related rumors mention either of them?

Last edited:

Reila

if ridley is a stage hazard and a character then wha will replace him? Not meta ridley since it is ridleys remains (looked up since i don't usually play metroid) so what could it be?
When Ridley joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of being the stage hazard in Pyrosphere. Alfonzo: Leave it to me!

Serious answer: There is more than one Ridley. Neo-Ridley (a x parasite that mimics Ridley from Other M, in Metroid Fusion) could be the hazard in Ridley's place. Alternatively, the substitute could be the Ridley from Other M, which is a clone.

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
I also wanted to bring up the fact that Sakurai has confirmed that there are times where he simply doesn't listen to the fans. It basically almost happened with Sonic, we found out with Mega Man that he didn't even try going for him in Brawl despite knowing that he was requested under Sonic and Capcom was open to it. I support Villager, but to many look at the new comers we got revealed so far - Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Mega Man. Besides Mega Man, Villager is probably the only one who was actually legitimately supported strongly, I didn't even consider Rosalina. I pretty much believe that come E3 2014 if we don't get Ridley or K.Rool it's pretty much over. Is he really going to make all of these guys hidden? Some of the veterans will surely be for traditions sake.

It's probably and most likely, rumor piggy backing. If these rumors were true they would probably have lcose to similar other details, which they don't mostly.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I'm delusional, eh?
The date that rumor came out: May 21, 2013

We knew about a Band Bros. 3DS as early as February 15, 2013.
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=196321

Nice catch, Entei. I did not know about this particular bit.

To be fair, the folks at TSSZ did state that they were given this info prior to posting, or more specifically, prior to Nintendo announcing that Mario Kart would be at E3 (they did NOT state just HOW prior), so I'm not quite ready to stop keeping an eye on it just yet, but even still, nice catch. I'll file this particular part of the story in my logic circuits immediately.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I believe I misremembered, it said Leafeon (got my Eeveelutions mixed up, remember now because the second mentioned that it played a little like Ivysaur, which would only make sense with the Grass-type, obviously).

But still, that's way too many separate leak coincidences for a character that is so plausible but considered unlikely by the vast majority to be right up Sakurai's alley. Prince Sable is an oddball choice as well, but if he's mentioned in either of the other two... I believe N3ON made the comment that we'd only see the legitimate leaks close to release. Perhaps, considering that rumor of a Spring release (despite it's denial by Nintendo), we're at that point now? But that's more speculation than leak/rumor discussion so I'll leave it at that.

toonmarth29

Smash Cadet
When Ridley joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of being the stage hazard in Pyrosphere. Alfonzo: Leave it to me!

Serious answer: There is more than one Ridley. Neo-Ridley (a x parasite that mimics Ridley from Other M, in Metroid Fusion) could be the hazard in Ridley's place. Alternatively, the substitute could be the Ridley from Other M, which is a clone.
I just realised about neo ridley (played that though) and nice joke. Since there is a ridley clone in other m and the metroid series stage in smash is based on other m right now that could be quite true.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I can understand Sakurai's reasoning for including left field characters (ROB, WFT), but what I don't get is not indulging the fans' wishes at least a little bit. Sure the vast majority of roster inclusions aren't realistic like Goku for example, but the few that are should have some sort of chance and have not for the past three games.

Basically, a balance needs to be struck between obscure icons that not many no about, and fan favorites that have many supporters. Besides Mega Man (and Villager to lesser extent) the newcomers aren't exactly ones that most of the Smash community are clambering for. But I'll remain hopeful that things will even out for both camps as we continue to learn more.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The way I see it, Sakurai is revealing newcomers in a progression from least-wanted/indifference to most-wanted, with Mega Man being an exception to ring in the crowds. Without Mega Man at E3, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer would not have esteemed SSB4 high enough. Mega Man isn't the biggest deal in the world, but he brought hype to the table.

What's telling is that more people want Ridley than Mega Man. Hell, Ridley may be the most highly requested character in the history of fighting games—but my opinion is biased for I've only ever paid attention to Smash Bros. I think Sakurai is strategically hyping SSB4 little by little, revealing veterans monthly and bimonthly, with newcomers stretched and randomly dispersed. As 2014 progresses, we'll probably see a slight incline in newcomer reveals, but I suspect most won't be revealed until E3 and release date.

The question remains... will the most hyped newcomers be revealed before or upon release? Will Sakurai use them to promote the game, or will he leave them for the players to uncover? After all, his stance on in-game footage vs. youtube is that he prefers players to experience the game by playing the game, not watching online. Time will tell.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
I can understand Sakurai's reasoning for including left field characters (ROB, WFT), but what I don't get is not indulging the fans' wishes at least a little bit. Sure the vast majority of roster inclusions aren't realistic like Goku for example, but the few that are should have some sort of chance and have not for the past three games.

Basically, a balance needs to be struck between obscure icons that not many no about, and fan favorites that have many supporters. Besides Mega Man (and Villager to lesser extent) the newcomers aren't exactly ones that most of the Smash community are clambering for. But I'll remain hopeful that things will even out for both camps as we continue to learn more.
I believe Sakurai has something up his sleeve for us. Afterall only four newcomers have been shown off so far, I imagine we will get at least 10 or so. Sakurai is probably holding off on at least some of the really exciting stuff until release or close to it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We've only seen four newcomers, and if we get a N-Direct this month, then we'll get another newcomer. Hold your horses.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
To be honest I'm actually anticipating a trailer where several newcomers are revealed at once, but that undoubtedly would only happen again at E3 like last year.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Maybe, but whether it counts or not is the question. I think it's more of a revamp than a newcomer.
Oh I would also like to point out last time I had a dream, it was about gothitelle in pokemon black, a few months before it was shown off. When that happened I was like what!?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Before the Palutena leak not very many leaks featured her. Now they all do.

Lately the leaks have had some ridiculous character to add to its validity. I don't think that's a justifying trait in a leak. Characters like eevee don't have a chance. Don't fool yourselves. You could make a case for any character to be in smash whether its legit or not is the deciding factor. People's leaks adapt to new information. It's really dumb

UltimateWario

Smash Master
(gee, when will they stop making eeveelutions?)
They've already said that Sylveon won't be the last. :awesome:

It's funny how leaks always go out of their way to say that Ridley/K. Rool are playable or aren't. You never see them disregarded completely.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I wonder what will happen with the fanbase if we don't get them again. Will people just give up on the franchise? I can't imagine people will complain this badly again. At this point it's not really Sakurai being "stupid", it's him clearly not being interested in making those characters playable. Hell, in that one interview with Nintendo Power, it didn't even sound like the idea had even crossed his mind to make Ridley playable.

Also PoR was last on FAQs 2 years ago in 2012. Which lines up with what Yosuke said (he said the last time he had actively talked with her was 2 years ago - this is before he had the recent chat with her where she told him that small amount of info).
I actually fear the backlash from another Ridley absence will be considerably worse than Brawl's reaction tenfold if he doesn't get in. Ridley fans will probably not only feel annoyed, but ignored as well; an insult to injury sort of stance to many.

The backlash to King K. Rool not getting in would probably be similar to that of Ridley not getting into Brawl, and I don't even want to start on the backlash of Mewtwo not getting in. Especially given everyone is just "assuming" he's in, which is a REALLY bad idea with Sakurai. Mind you Mewtwo will most probably get in because he has slightly different circumstances (was planned for Brawl anyway), but there is still a chance of him not making it, and some people still have not learned...

Last edited:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
They are just coincidences [/thread]

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Before the Palutena leak not very many leaks featured her. Now they all do.

Lately the leaks have had some ridiculous character to add to its validity. I don't think that's a justifying trait in a leak. Characters like eevee don't have a chance. Don't fool yourselves. You could make a case for any character to be in smash whether its legit or not is the deciding factor. People's leaks adapt to new information. It's really dumb
Can't say they don't have a chance though because they are Nintendo characters, and Eevee seems like a good Pokemon choice.
We'll have to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom