• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
The 320x240 4:3 screen? All screenshots regarding Smash 3DS are 400x240, which is the 2D resolution of the top screen.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The leak has the gameplay screen as the top screen, meanwhile its already been confirmed that all gameplay will be on the bottom scren for the 3DS version.
That's strange...

Are you sure?

That wouldn't make sense

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
This is the idol from Kid Icarus: Uprising?

There are differences. The shield, staff, dress are all different, for example.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My thing is. This happened with Rosalina. Pictures of her leaked before she was confirmed in the direct. But not of this calibur. They were clearly taken directly from a direct.

This looks like shots that would be on Palutena's character page. Put onto a Nintendo 3DS screen. And would Palutena's reveal trailer focus on 3DS gameplay anyways? I mean sure her game was on 3DS, but that what keeps me from truly believing.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Leaked 3DS pictures? Guys come on, there's no way GameFreak would be stupid enough to make "Greninja" or "Hawlucha," and do I even need to mention "Klefki?" Stop being stupid.

Playing devil's advocate but these are nice fakes. I also thought the second picture was the bottom screen lol

My thing is. This happened with Rosalina. Pictures of her leaked before she was confirmed in the direct. But not of this calibur.
Wait when?

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Ok I took a few minutes and looked through all the pics I could find even those extra toon link ones and none of them look like these ones of Palutena. Sooooo yea maybe there was some extreme editing going on but I it was a simple flip I think I would've noticed. I don't want to be the only one to check though. It also could've been heavily edited gameplay from the developer direct. I haven't checked the initial trailer yet for things like background.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I'm curious about the stage. The crystal-looking thing behind mario/palutena's hand in the first pic, and in the bottom-left of the second, what is that? Have we even seen this stage before?

I was looking through some already shown pictures of mario on the 3ds version, and I can't find one that resembles that first image, or the stage. It's pretty hard to argue that palutena was shopped on unless we can find the image he shopped it onto, since that mario looks incredibly genuine.

And there are definite differences between the revealed images, and the KI:U one posted by Flynn

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm curious about the stage. The crystal-looking thing behind mario/palutena's hand in the first pic, and in the bottom-left of the second, what is that? Have we even seen this stage before?

I was looking through some already shown pictures of mario on the 3ds version, and I can't find one that resembles that first image, or the stage. It's pretty hard to argue that palutena was shopped on unless we can find the image he shopped it onto, since that mario looks incredibly genuine.

And there are definite differences between the revealed images, and the KI:U one posted by Flynn
Best guess?

New Super Mario Bros Wii U

It's the only thing I know with sideways, Jagged cliffs

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ok I took a few minutes and looked through all the pics I could find even those extra toon link ones and none of them look like these ones of Palutena. Sooooo yea maybe there was some extreme editing going on but I it was a simple flip I think I would've noticed. I don't want to be the only one to check though. It also could've been heavily edited gameplay from the developer direct. I haven't checked the initial trailer yet for things like background.
I'm looking through too.

Can't find anything contradictory.

Mountains in the background of the 3DS Battlefield stage.

They're in other pics if you want to look.

PWN3

Smash Apprentice

3DS version of Battlefield.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Look at how she's holding the staff in the first pic.

Rumor or fake, I don't like how that looks...lol

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The pictures both take place on the 3DS Battlefield stage. The rocky outcrops are part of the stage background.

They can be seen in other pictures.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Mario and Palutena aren't giving each other eye contact which seems to happen at least in the wii u version. If anyone can find proof of eye contact between characters in the 3ds version then this leak fake but f not then its back to not knowing.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Okay, while I still think it's sad that this is getting more attention than the awesome ledge stuff, I decided to take a really careful look at the two models (this one and the KI: U one). Here's what I'm seeing:

-This model has more detail on the head of the staff, but it's no detail that couldn't be shopped in.
-Her shield is a different color, very easy to shop.

I'm failing to find any other definitive changes; right now this still seems like a possible shop albeit a pretty high quality one. Remember that the 3DS isn't broken so it's not possible to put Palutena's KI: U model into an editing program. That means that any changes have to be made by editing a 2d image so things like different sizes on jewelry would be very hard to do, but I can't spot anything like that which makes me kinda suspicious in and of itself. Of course, I'm not the best at this; anyone else able to do that?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
The only thing I can think of is that Mario and Palutena's outlines are different thickness. I know they're customisable, but not character to character in the same match.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And one is ledge stuff and one is a highly requested newcomer possibly being leaked.

Are you really surprised that people are focusing more on this? I mean come on dude.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Decided to take a quick tour of all the pics on the Smash Bros. site, as well as the backlog of all the pics of the day.

There is no single picture that displays Mario in that same posture, Wii U or 3DS version. The closest is the picture of Mario in the story mode stage a few days ago, but Mario's fists in that picture are out of alignment.

It's not something a dedicated artist can't overcome, but it's something to think about.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'll give those pictures this much: They are easily more convincing then the usual, I'd even go as far to say they're the best 'leaked or faked' pictures we've seen. Plus, from what I'm reading, the models and backgrounds used do not match any other pictures which would requires great dedication if it's a fake.

Having said that, something seems off in her model but I can't put my finger on it...

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
And one is ledge stuff and one is a highly requested newcomer possibly being leaked.

Are you really surprised that people are focusing more on this? I mean come on dude.
I'm less surprised than disappointed. I mean, let's say this is real. Okay, we have one new character that only affects matches in which that character is used. Assuming all characters are equally likely to be used (and we don't know anything about smash 4 tiers so that's fair) and a conservative roster size of 40, that means that Palutena affects approximately 5% of 1v1 matches. New ledge mechanics are huge and have a substantial impact in every single game; they probably don't impact the games they're in as much as Palutena existing affects the games she's in, but Palutena being an option isn't twenty times more consequential so it's pretty clear the overall effect on the game of the new ledge mechanics is far higher than the effect of Palutena being included. Of course, you have the uncertainty of whether this is even real; even if this is a high at a 50% chance of being real (which is being very generous), you should cut your excitement in half versus what it would be for a real confirmation. This is before you further consider that these two pictures tell you extremely little about how Palutena would play so in a way it's not even showing a character at all...

Incidentally, this same logic can be used for any character reveal; they're not nearly as important as most people claim since in most games any single given character won't be used unless we have a new MK on our hands or something but that's more about why balance information is important and not character reveals. I'm not saying they don't matter at all, but people treat them as being far more important than they really are.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I'm less surprised than disappointed. I mean, let's say this is real. Okay, we have one new character that only affects matches in which that character is used. Assuming all characters are equally likely to be used (and we don't know anything about smash 4 tiers so that's fair) and a conservative roster size of 40, that means that Palutena affects approximately 5% of 1v1 matches. New ledge mechanics are huge and have a substantial impact in every single game; they probably don't impact the games they're in as much as Palutena existing affects the games she's in, but Palutena being an option isn't twenty times more consequential so it's pretty clear the overall effect on the game of the new ledge mechanics is far higher than the effect of Palutena being included. Of course, you have the uncertainty of whether this is even real; even if this is a high at a 50% chance of being real (which is being very generous), you should cut your excitement in half versus what it would be for a real confirmation. This is before you further consider that these two pictures tell you extremely little about how Palutena would play so in a way it's not even showing a character at all...

Incidentally, this same logic can be used for any character reveal; they're not nearly as important as most people claim since in most games any single given character won't be used unless we have a new MK on our hands or something but that's more about why balance information is important and not character reveals. I'm not saying they don't matter at all, but people treat them as being far more important than they really are.
2 things one never assume anything, and two why does the turtle in your profile pic look so for a lack of a better term violated

Deku_Don

Smash Apprentice
Someone on Neogaf noted that the BF background's mountains are a different distance away from what we've previously been shown. I can't imagine this being fake it just seems too elaborate. We were talking yesterday about the Namco visitors leak and how plausible it seemed but even that had clear things to be skeptical about. Unless the creator of this is literally a wizard I don't see how they made something so legitimate looking.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Except that to a majority of the audience who'll be playing these games, the characters are the thing that will probably draw them the most. Smash is a series about your favorite Nintendo characters duking it out and the more popular or likeable they are, the more people will gravitate to them. Palutena is a great example of that, she's very wanted, likeable in her original game and many would like to play as her, whether or not the pictures are fake her appearance in them are going to draw more attention because they can potentially hint at her being playable.

Contrast that to mechanics, yes gameplay is an important part of the series but it's not going to be talked about that much. It's nice to know what changed of course, but really we're not going to be as immediately affected by these changes as we would characters, stages, items, etc. Knowing your favorite character or area is available is of course going to overshadow the mechanics because we can see them now and the affect is more immediate.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Obviously the ledge stuff isn't going to be discussed in this thread, the only problem with the leak is that it made it into the Pic of the Day thread. Characters are the primary thing that people speculate about anyways, and for some people a single character can mean the entire speculation period. Plus, if the character is a potential main it will definitely mean more than 5% of all 1v1 matches to the individual person. I for one would rather have Ridley as a playable character than a ledge change, especially since I'm fine with both Brawl and Melee's gameplay.

It's harder to speculate gameplay than characters too, since it's something you need to have in your hands to really judge. Even if we've gotten some info we still don't have the numbers or the feel of it, thus there's not much to discuss since we won't know if it's a good or bad thing until we try it in action.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Basically for this to be fake. The leak maker would've had to:

1. Make a model for Palutena
  2. Presumably also make a model for Mario since none of the pictures of him match up.
  3. Make a whole new background that matches what we already know about Battlefield.
  4. Paste his/her Palutena and Mario models onto his/her custom made background.
  5. Add additional details to make them look authentic and feel as if snatched directly from footage or a Palutena character page.
  6. Put them onto a 3DS, either through shop or loading them on his/her 3DS
And god damn that's a lot of dedication for a fake. A LOT.

If fake? This is the highest quality most believable fake for the game yet.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
anybody think that maybe this could be from the upcoming nintendo direct, and if so am I alone in felling kinda sad that my potential surprise may been spoiled early

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman

You're being cray. You can't dictate how people feel, yo. If they're excited why complain? This is legit info. Mechanics are there and we can talk about it anytime. People are hyped because it's a character reveal, which is always exciting. Yeah the new mechanics are cool, but if Sakurai posted Palutena tomorrow and there was no leak people would still be excited. Really excited. Probably more excited than the mechanics miiverse post because this is a lot of people's dream character. Mechanics are mechanics and not something that people personally invest into like a playable avatar. Don't get me wrong mechanics are important and this change is probably going to effect smash matches a lot more than one single character ever would but come on man.

Secondly you're completely forgetting the implications of this if it were real.

1. We'd take a look at leaks with Palutena (most of them if not all :( ) and they could have added credibility
2. A beefier roster with more women. Always a good thing.
3. There's some awesome doofus out there willing to leak legit info and even PICTURES of Smash. That's even more exciting than knowing about one legit mechanic because we have the possibility of getting even more info on characters, stages, and mechanics that we aren't privy to yet.

Basically for this to be fake. The leak maker would've had to:

1. Make a model for Palutena
  2. Presumably also make a model for Mario since none of the pictures of him match up.
  3. Make a whole new background that matches what we already know about Battlefield.
  4. Paste his/her Palutena and Mario models onto his/her custom made background.
  5. Add additional details to make them look authentic and feel as if snatched directly from footage or a Palutena character page.
  6. Put them onto a 3DS, either through shop or loading them on his/her 3DS
And god damn that's a lot of dedication for a fake. A LOT.

If fake? This is the highest quality most believable fake for the game yet.
Occams Razor brah. It's probably real.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
well, look at those pictures,
also I do remember hearing someone said a couple of days ago that their is a Nintendo direct this week, that practically the source for newcomer confirmations as shown with Rosalina,
you mates think there is a connection here, or not, I didn't read well into this discussion :ohwell:

Deku_Don

Smash Apprentice
well, look at those pictures,
also I do remember hearing someone said a couple of days ago that their is a Nintendo direct this week, that practically the source for newcomer confirmations as shown with Rosalina,
you mates think there is a connection here, or not, I didn't read well into this discussion :ohwell:
It's rumored that there will be one in the next couple of days apparently.

Also reading through the neogaf posts its silly to see how many people are claiming the Palutena shots could be easily recreated in photoshop despite the fact that most of the stuff in the screens is original.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
See, here's the thing. It's from a user on 4chan, who could have all the anonymity they want.

I'm actually pretty upset, just because they could leak an image of whatever newcomer they want, and say "oh it's just an assist trophy" to troll people and we wouldn't know any better until release.

That said, maybe it is, but I'm hoping, HOPING that if its real Sakurai wouldn't go through the trouble of making AT models as high quality as that (meaning she's playable) due to potential graphical issues (8 ICs were potentially going to be an issue, so adding in another high quality character model might exacerbate that.)

C'mon, Sakurai...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, say it's real about the assist trophy, I'd probably be happy and sad. For happy, that she's no longer in Pit's FS and that she's in the game, meaning Pit is likely to get a new FS. The sadness is obviously that she isn't playable, who as we know, is the only newcomer I wanted.
Speaking of, if the person says she is an Assist Trophy, the only thing I can say is that things are not finalized til the game's done. Remember the capsule used to be regular sized, but now is fat? Remember in some of the snapshots that Pit's pose when shooting an arrow has changed from standard Brawl pose to a sharper pose? There's still a chance that Palutena, if this is true, could probably change somehow. I still think it's one of the KIU idols, but I don't know what to say. This is actually believable compared to the other attempts.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
See, here's the thing. It's from a user on 4chan, who could have all the anonymity they want.

I'm actually pretty upset, just because they could leak an image of whatever newcomer they want, and say "oh it's just an assist trophy" to troll people and we wouldn't know any better until release.

That said, maybe it is, but I'm hoping, HOPING that if its real Sakurai wouldn't go through the trouble of making AT models as high quality as that (meaning she's playable) due to potential graphical issues (8 ICs were potentially going to be an issue, so adding in another high quality character model might exacerbate that.)

C'mon, Sakurai...
I wish someone would post a link to that thread. I can't seem to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom