• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Bros. 3DS a "filler"?

How are you handling Smash Bros. 3DS?

• Total voters

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
I might end up playing the 3ds version more than the Wii U. Only time will tell, but if my current trend of rarely being home continues, then that'll likely be the case.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Mine will be somewhat of a filler game, because I am getting it mostly for filler reasons: it will be used to help ease the wait for the Wii U version, and also to practice with the Smash 4 mechanics on the go and can't play console. I am very much excited for it, though, and consider it to be quite a beautiful game that I will enjoy playing. It's just that the Wii U will definitely be my main.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
for a long time i've wanted to play smash virtually anywhere, even at times i considered trying to make a portable gamecube, though i really probably couldn't, so i'm extremely hype for smash on the 3ds. but, i've also wanted an hd smash for awhile as well, so my hype is about 50/50 on each end.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
Portable Smash means very little to me, as I spend all day in my room after work. Every so often, I leave the house, but it's to go to the beach with my girlfriend, or see a movie, not play more damn video games.

It'll work for some, but not so much for me. My girlfriend is getting one, so I can play using her 3DS until I get the Wii U version, so it all works out perfectly anyway.

Servine

Smash Cadet
So far, the release schedule seems to give the impression that it's filling the time for the Wii U version, but I don't really see how the 3DS version is inferior. It's running at 60 FPS, you have all the controls you need to play smash, and overall it doesn't seem watered down. There's also enough exclusive content so far that even if they both come out at the same time, I'd still be buying both versions.
Really, I'll be playing both versions quite frequently, although I may play the 3DS version more due to more of my friends having a 3DS and the accessibility in general.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So far, the release schedule seems to give the impression that it's filling the time for the Wii U version
Why do people keep assuming this?

The 3DS version is being released first because it was the priority, so it was completed first. It isn't being released prior to the Wii U version to "fill a gap".

Servine

Smash Cadet
Why do people keep assuming this?

The 3DS version is being released first because it was the priority, so it was completed first. It isn't being released prior to the Wii U version to "fill a gap".
Well, you're probably right about that. I'm just saying that it 'seems' to give the impression of being a gap filler. I don't really think it is, but some people do, and I really can't blame them for that.

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a chair, letting my eyes burn.
Just imagine how much time they would shave off in Smash Run! Getting stuck in a Like Like would cost you about 6 seconds.
Petilil kinda does the same thing, it sprays a Sleep Powder in your face and you gotta mash the crap outta your buttons to get out of it. Jump it it and attack from above? Nope, it runs the perfect distance away and TIMES a Sleep Powder for you to fall asleep when you land.

So in my opinion, Petilil is the most annoying opponent in Smash Run, surprisingly, the Pokemon enemies are all very annoyingly strong.

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
I would like the 3DS and Wii U versions to have slight differences in their mechanics. Here is my ideal scenario.

Putting it simply, the 3DS version should be a more "casual" version of the game. It would play pretty similarly to what we've seen at the E3 demo (plus whatever additional bug fixes they have to make.) Meanwhile, the Wii U version's mechanics would be faster, and more in line with what we imagine as "competitive." So why should they do this?

I think that casual players are more likely to own a 3DS system. It costs less money, yet there is still a great array of games for casual players on the system. Games such as "Animal Crossing: New Leaf", which I consider to be a more casual game, have been incredibly successful. I also think casual gamers value the mobile aspect of the 3DS. Plus, buying the 3DS version would be $20 cheaper than the Wii U version.

In terms of mechanics, (and this is coming from someone with absolutely no first hand knowledge of the game) the game pad on the 3DS might give people trouble, especially when it comes to the precise movements needed in order to execute Smash attacks and tilts individually. A mechanically slower and more casual game might actually be beneficial here because then they won't necessarily need to execute extremely precise commands.

It will probably be easier to execute precise commands in the Wii U version. The Wii U version will most likely end up being the go-to competitive game, not only in tournaments like EVO, but also any official Smash events hosted by Nintendo post release. Furthermore, if both games are mechanically the same, then why bother buying the Wii U version? (For a lot of people, that question is a bit different: why bother buying a Wii U in the first place?) Yes, the Wii U version will have HD graphics and more controller options. It will probably have some of its own exclusive content, such as unannounced game modes and trophies. But the 3DS version also looks incredibly good. If all the characters and moves are the same, then casual players (or newcomers to the series) might ask themselves: Why buy the $60 version when I could spend $20 less? Again, those casual players might not even own Wii Us to begin with. If they own any current gen Nintendo console, they will most likely own the 3DS.

The Wii U version has to distinguish itself from the 3DS version in more ways than just the graphics or the stage list. Mechanics changes should be made to buff up the competitive elements of Smash Wii U and get competitive players such as myself hyped, without turning off casual or new players. Also, as a competitive Smash player, I would be perfectly fine with the 3DS version being more casual friendly. I would also probably end up buying it myself. It would make perfect sense to me, especially on a mobile platform, and given the control limitations of the 3DS system. Each version of the game should play on the strengths of the system they are on.

Of course, this is all just my own opinion on what they should do with the game.

Kaitou

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameEmpireHD
3DS FC
3496-9817-0774
Well, you're probably right about that. I'm just saying that it 'seems' to give the impression of being a gap filler. I don't really think it is, but some people do, and I really can't blame them for that.
It's obviously not a gap filler tbh, people consider it so because people aren't taking the 3DS port seriously.

Granted, once the Wii U version comes out, a lot of people will ignore it but the 3DS version was made to be played as much as the Wii U version.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Granted, once the Wii U version comes out, a lot of people will ignore it but the 3DS version was made to be played as much as the Wii U version.
More like SOME people will ignore it, specially when the 3DS player based is obviously going to be much bigger.
Which I why I find the "OMG, it's just a money-grab" argument that has been around since day one so aggravating. 3DS has a much larger market, and will have a much larger community.
Sorry for quoting this post (again) from the second page, but here is what I found posted in another forum today, which is totally relevant to the "money-grab" stupid argument. I mean, I knew the 3DS sold and is selling a lot more than the Wii U, but woah.

Last edited:

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
More like SOME people will ignore it, specially when the 3DS player based is obviously going to be much bigger.

Sorry for quoting this post (again) from the second page, but here is what I found posted in another forum today, which is totally relevant to the "money-grab" stupid argument. I mean, I knew the 3DS sold and is selling a lot more than the Wii U, but woah.

Wow, that's a lot. The 3DS version will sell way more than the Wii U.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that it releases first on the 3DS I'd probably wait to buy it until I'd go on a vacation or something. I'm not a very busy man and I spend a lot of time at home, so I'd be perfectly fine with just the Wii U version, I don't think the 3DS version can do anything noteable that shouldn't be possible on the Wii U version, but alas I'm also too impatient to wait for the Wii U version.

The decision to release the 3DS version first is exactly the kind of decisions that are responsible for the Wii U's lackluster sales, so I'm still very surprised by their decision to do so.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I would like the 3DS and Wii U versions to have slight differences in their mechanics. Here is my ideal scenario.

Putting it simply, the 3DS version should be a more "casual" version of the game. It would play pretty similarly to what we've seen at the E3 demo (plus whatever additional bug fixes they have to make.) Meanwhile, the Wii U version's mechanics would be faster, and more in line with what we imagine as "competitive." So why should they do this?

I think that casual players are more likely to own a 3DS system. It costs less money, yet there is still a great array of games for casual players on the system. Games such as "Animal Crossing: New Leaf", which I consider to be a more casual game, have been incredibly successful. I also think casual gamers value the mobile aspect of the 3DS. Plus, buying the 3DS version would be $20 cheaper than the Wii U version.

In terms of mechanics, (and this is coming from someone with absolutely no first hand knowledge of the game) the game pad on the 3DS might give people trouble, especially when it comes to the precise movements needed in order to execute Smash attacks and tilts individually. A mechanically slower and more casual game might actually be beneficial here because then they won't necessarily need to execute extremely precise commands.

It will probably be easier to execute precise commands in the Wii U version. The Wii U version will most likely end up being the go-to competitive game, not only in tournaments like EVO, but also any official Smash events hosted by Nintendo post release. Furthermore, if both games are mechanically the same, then why bother buying the Wii U version? (For a lot of people, that question is a bit different: why bother buying a Wii U in the first place?) Yes, the Wii U version will have HD graphics and more controller options. It will probably have some of its own exclusive content, such as unannounced game modes and trophies. But the 3DS version also looks incredibly good. If all the characters and moves are the same, then casual players (or newcomers to the series) might ask themselves: Why buy the $60 version when I could spend $20 less? Again, those casual players might not even own Wii Us to begin with. If they own any current gen Nintendo console, they will most likely own the 3DS.

The Wii U version has to distinguish itself from the 3DS version in more ways than just the graphics or the stage list. Mechanics changes should be made to buff up the competitive elements of Smash Wii U and get competitive players such as myself hyped, without turning off casual or new players. Also, as a competitive Smash player, I would be perfectly fine with the 3DS version being more casual friendly. I would also probably end up buying it myself. It would make perfect sense to me, especially on a mobile platform, and given the control limitations of the 3DS system. Each version of the game should play on the strengths of the system they are on.

Of course, this is all just my own opinion on what they should do with the game.
I played the original smash on an emulator using a keyboard for controls for three years. The 3DS will be heaven compared with that as far as inputs are concerned.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that it releases first on the 3DS I'd probably wait to buy it until I'd go on a vacation or something. I'm not a very busy man and I spend a lot of time at home, so I'd be perfectly fine with just the Wii U version, I don't think the 3DS version can do anything noteable that shouldn't be possible on the Wii U version, but alas I'm also too impatient to wait for the Wii U version.

The decision to release the 3DS version first is exactly the kind of decisions that are responsible for the Wii U's lackluster sales, so I'm still very surprised by their decision to do so.
You can't blame the 3DS version coming first for the Wii U's lackluster sales, as it's doing bad anyways :s Plus, the Wii U has HD graphics so I think that's enough for people to wait a bit longer.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I've always intended to buy both versions the moment they were first soft-announced, though I used to view Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS more as my 'Smash on the Go' game rather then the main version I was going to play.

However, once more information began to come out about Smash 3DS, it started to become more equal in my eyes due to the different stages between the two (I love the stages on 3DS..some even more then the ones on Wii U), the graphical style is pleasing, and, most importantly, Smash Run, which just seems to be amazingly fun looking (I sadly only got to try the normal Smash Match at BestBuy's Smash Fest).

I also viewed it as a way to practice the Gamepad/Wii U Pro Controller control scheme prior to the Wii U release since the two have a near identical button layout, though that no longer matters due to the Gamecube Adaptor and Gamecube Style Classic Controllers..though I had bought a 3rd Party Adapter a year before announcement just in case.

I will be enjoying both versions quite a bit, thats for sure.

Since I see a conversation about the Nintendo 3DS version releasing first and questions as to why, remember that they had to test everything on Nintendo 3DS first before implementing it on the Wii U version, since both games were promised to have the same roster, so they made characters first on 3DS and then on Wii U once they knew they would work on the former.

Last edited:

GlitchyFireEmblem

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nowiwowi
Smash 4 is not filler to me, and might be my main version. Smash on the go is very appealing to me because usually I have to go places so I'll likely play Smash 3DS more than Smash Wii U. I'm still getting both because I 'll play Smash Wii U at home. Smash Run also sounds really fun too.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
I'll probably get neither honestly.

That said, I would definitely get the 3DS version if I got only one.
When I was playing 64 and melee as a young child I used to wish I could play it on my GBA.
Now that I can, I'm sure it's epic.
Besides, I've always enjoyed the single player modes a little bit more, I'm not sure why.

Electric Lady

Smash Rookie
NNID
JohnQuixote
3DS FC
0662-4546-8146
I'll be getting the 3DS version because that's the system I actually own.

My roommate is getting the Wii U version and I'll probably be playing that a lot, though. Until then, I think I'll need the extra practice time over him.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's considered a filler because most people will only play the 3DS version before the Wii U version comes out or when they don't have access to a Wii U. You play it to fill in the time when you can't play the Wii U version. That's most likely why Nintendo is releasing the 3DS version first. It'd probably take a massive hit in sales if it wasn't released before the Wii U version because the better version would already be out.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Main version. I know right now that the 3DS version will satisfy me and I'll have no need for the WiiU version. (Most likely)

Last edited:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Both games will be my main versions since they're both different games after all. Smash Run has won me over a lot, and I love that we can now use GameCube controllers for the Wii U version.

Wow, that's a lot. The 3DS version will sell way more than the Wii U.
And this is one of the reasons why it won't "save" the Wii U. It's already on the path of selling below GameCube numbers. :/

D

Deleted member

Woah, that's a massive difference in sales. Yep, the 3DS clearly has a bigger install base. Because of that, I think Smash 3DS is going to sell more than the Wii U game. I still like both games.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It's considered a filler because most people will only play the 3DS version before the Wii U version comes out or when they don't have access to a Wii U. You play it to fill in the time when you can't play the Wii U version. That's most likely why Nintendo is releasing the 3DS version first. It'd probably take a massive hit in sales if it wasn't released before the Wii U version because the better version would already be out.
Not really.
Even though the Wii U version is considered the definitive version, the Userbase is far, far larger on the Nintendo 3DS. If anything, they would have wanted to release the Wii U version to sell more Wii Us in general, since Super Smash Bros. would sell well on either system regardless of when they were released.

The more likely reason for releasing the Nintendo 3DS version is that they needed to test everything on the Nintendo 3DS version first to make sure the system could handle it (Sakurai notably pointed out how they were originally having issues with Team Based Characters like Ice Climbers on the 3DS) since both versions were promised to have the exact same roster.
So its 80% likely that the Nintendo 3DS version was finished first while the Wii U one is still being completed, which we do know the 3DS version is currently complete. That would be why the 3DS version is being released first because it was finished first.

Soul.

Did Mario Kart 8 help the Wii U at all?
I'm gonna say this again: The 3DS' install base is larger than the Wii U's, not everyone will get the Wii U version or even the console itself. This is a fact.
Okay, so, you go to the online mode. You're going to see players in both versions. Even if the Wii U version is released, Smash 3DS will still be played. The reason why it's still going to be played is because of the 3DS' larger install base.
The handheld version will be played competitively, just like the console version. I don't see the idea of playing casually with Items on in Smash 3DS, unless you're playing online, that's fine.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
The sales of Mario Kart 8 are pretty amazing, but it only helped the Wii U a little.

Mario Kart is an evergreen title, which means it'll continue to sell for a long time, but it won't do as much as Nintendo would expect. It's also the biggest system seller they have, so I don't expect Smash Bros. and Zelda U to do much, especially in Japan, where consoles are almost practically dead over there.

D

Deleted member

The sales of Mario Kart 8 are pretty amazing, but it only helped the Wii U a little.

Mario Kart is an evergreen title, which means it'll continue to sell for a long time, but it won't do as much as Nintendo would expect. It's also the biggest system seller they have, so I don't expect Smash Bros. and Zelda U to do much, especially in Japan, where consoles are almost practically dead over there.
Yeah. Japanese players prefer handhelds and mobile devices more because they travel a lot and some other stuff, from what I've heard. 3DS is also the best-selling platform there (based on Japanese charts), I think. Correct me if wrong.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Yeah. Japanese players prefer handhelds and mobile devices more because they travel a lot and some other stuff, from what I've heard. 3DS is also the best-selling platform there (based on Japanese charts), I think. Correct me if wrong.
Pretty much, though mobile is also overtaking handhelds there. The sales numbers for the 3DS last year were down from the previous year when it's supposed to be up due to games like Pokémon X / Y and Monster Hunter 4. This year it's considerably dropping when it's not supposed to until its fifth or sixth year, so I'm expecting a shorter lifespan for the system. It has reached its saturation point as well, which means it'll probably struggle to reach PSP and GBA's life-to-date numbers.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
3DS is my main version, and unless a windfall occurs I wil not be getting a Wii U or the Smash for that system. 3DS version looks just as viable and even more fun since I can take it on the go, so I'm good.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If it's filler to someone, that's fine, I guess. But they're two different games. If you're only interested in the Wii U version, don't spend $40 on a game you'll play for a couple months then abandon.

That said, I prefer the home console, so that will be my "main" game-- i.e. the one I really take seriously and competitively. My 3DS version, on the other hand, will be for on the go or playing with my brother and his friends (he has a multitude of friends who own a 3DS, but only one or two getting a Wii U).

I just think it's nice that we actually have options, and the 3DS version will certainly make a ****load of money for Nintendo. I don't really see the downside of having them both available.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
3DS version is going to be a completely different game with a completely different tier list from the Wii U version. It's like we're getting two new smash games!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Selling the 3DS version first might help sell the Wii U. Get people interested in the game who already own a 3DS, get them wanting to see it on an HD screen, get them to check out the Wii U. Possibly.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Y'know, this thread made me curious, so I started searching around the net for some answers about sales differences between the 3DS and Wii U, and I stumbled upon something that could explain the staggered release dates.

Remember that Nintendo is a business with investors, and they track/project their earnings according to their fiscal year, which is split into fiscal quarters. (They actually released their earnings report for Q1 2014 today, which multiple people in this thread have already referenced.) Now, Nintendo's fiscal year begins and ends in March. With that in mind, their final quarter of the year starts in December, which is toward the end of the Christmas boom in sales.

Now let's consider the 3DS version's release date: October 3rd. This date occurs in the third quarter of the year, but toward the beginning of it. That allows people to pick it up for themselves quickly, while also providing plenty of time between release and Christmas, potentially maximizing their sales during that quarter's limited period of time. Since Q3 is typically supposed to be the biggest sales portion of the year for this industry, that's important.

However, you also need to show investors that you aren't booming and then phasing out, so it's important to leave something for the fourth quarter besides Christmas leftovers. When searching for potential big games in Q4, I found... Captain Toad, Devil's Third and the very late to the party Watch_Dogs. Now, perhaps I missed something, but that's all I could find, and none of those seem like they'll be huge in sales. Meanwhile, Q3 2014 has Hyrule Warriors, Sm4sh 3DS, Sonic Boom, Bayonetta, Disney Infinity, Skylanders and Lego Batman, and Q1 2015 tentatively has Mario Maker, Mario Party, Splatoon, Kirby and Yoshi. So guess where Sm4sh Wii U is likely to end up?

I think they're strategically releasing the 3DS version in Q3 to help boost their Christmas sales figures since there are so many more 3DS owners out there, while withholding the Wii U version until Q4 to help support an otherwise dull quarter. And they're likely hoping that the Christmas rush will get Wii U consoles into more homes before Sm4sh is released, rather than after, just to make sure that the sales look as strong as possible.

tl;dr version: Looking at all this, I'd say that, financially, the Wii U version is actually filler, at least for 2014. The 3DS version was likely given priority for Q3 since it's a more guaranteed sales number. Now the question is, just how late into Q4 will Nintendo release Sm4sh Wii U?

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
How do you plan on handling the 3ds version? Is it just to hold you over until the Wii U game releases or is it gonna be your main source for Smash 4?

Personally I'm using it to hold me over until I get the Wii U game and I'm using it to play Smash 4 on the go. I'll put in a lot of time in the game pre-Wii U but I probably won't play it much after unless I don't have access to my Wii U at the time.
I am going to play both versions a lot. I will play the Wii U version mainly with my brother and when my friends come over/go online. I will play the 3ds version by myself and online a lot as practice for each characters move set, and to help me improve when I can't play my Wii U.

Hattori

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1633-4181-4196
I see the 3ds as a main version of the game for, on the go. While the Wii U version looks like it still will be for, tournaments. The Gamecube controller is part of competitive smash.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
It's filler for me. The game is definitely not made as a "filler" game (A game to hold people off until Wii U) but honestly Fighting games like Smash are not made for the 3DS (Look at Street Fighter 4 3D for an example) they just don't play like the original. It's just like Pokemon games on the Consoles that try to be as good as the handhelds, yeah they can be good but never beat the original version it was made for. And that is how Smash4 will be, I would not be surprised if the Wii U version beat out the 3DS version this time around. I will buy the 3DS version for sure buy once I get the Wii U version... well I won't play it again I bet. But that's how I see it as of now.

Also I kinda don't like the idea of the 3DS version being made at all tbh... Yeah you can play on the go... Neat I guess. But the game would have been out by now if there was no 3DS version, there would be no "Stage exclusives" (Which does not bother me a lot but something to point out), more time would go into balancing the Wii U version I bet as well.

But that is what I think I guess.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It's filler for me. The game is definitely not made as a "filler" game (A game to hold people off until Wii U) but honestly Fighting games like Smash are not made for the 3DS (Look at Street Fighter 4 3D for an example) they just don't play like the original. It's just like Pokemon games on the Consoles that try to be as good as the handhelds, yeah they can be good but never beat the original version it was made for. And that is how Smash4 will be, I would not be surprised if the Wii U version beat out the 3DS version this time around. I will buythe 3DS version for sure buy once I get the Wii U version... well I won't play it again I bet. But that's how I see it as of now.
Yes, let's look at other fighting games on the 3DS. Have you ever played BlazBlue: Continuum Shift? It works quite nicely.

Actually, Pokémon XD is one of my favorite games in the entire series, easily surpassing most of the handheld versions.

Finally, I don't see how the 3DS version can fail to sell more than the Wii U version. Even if everyone who owned a Wii U were to buy the game, and enough people bought the game to double the Wii U's sales figures, if even 1/3rd of the 3DS's owner base were to buy the 3DS version, the 3DS version would still sell better.

Top Bottom