• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Bros. 3DS a "filler"?

How are you handling Smash Bros. 3DS?

• Total voters

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
How do you plan on handling the 3ds version? Is it just to hold you over until the Wii U game releases or is it gonna be your main source for Smash 4?

Personally I'm using it to hold me over until I get the Wii U game and I'm using it to play Smash 4 on the go. I'll put in a lot of time in the game pre-Wii U but I probably won't play it much after unless I don't have access to my Wii U at the time.

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
It'll probably end up being my main version. My online seems to work better on my 3DS for some reason and I just plain like my 3DS better.

Though why do people call it a "filler"? Yes, it may not be able to have as much stuff as a console version, but they are still almost two different games.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm going to use the 3DS version, and when the Wii U comes out, I'll come there. The 3DS version won't be a filler for me at all, because I won't always be in my room, so having it on-the-go will be fantastic. I'll also be using the 3DS version when I'm in my living room or in my bed, because the Wii U would be uncomfortable compared to the 3DS version. I'd also like to be able to walk around my house while playing, so I can be on things like SmashBoards without having to constantly switch, or without bringing my computer into my room.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
With the Wii U Console coming out (according to rumors) about ONE MONTH after the 3DS' release, it might as well be.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It will be my smash on the go. I'm definitely looking forward to HD smash, but honestly that excites me exactly the same as being able to take it on the commute.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'll likely be on SSBU a lot more, but I'm not giving up the ability to play anywhere.

That said, it definitely won't be my main version, though. SSB3D is clearly designed more for short bursts rather than extended play sessions.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Though why do people call it a "filler"? Yes, it may not be able to have as much stuff as a console version, but they are still almost two different games.
This is true. Smash 3ds has things to separate it from the Wii U version. The reason I use "filler" is because a lot, if not most, rather play it on a console with a full size screen and more comfortable controls with Gamecube support. I'm not that hype for Smash Run so I really just want to get my hands on the game to learn the mechanics and characters before I jump to Wii U. But I'll definitely still use the 3ds for on-the-go play

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
I'm almost always running around from one place or another, so handheld consoles have always been my favorites, seeing ssb for 3DS plus FE:A hyped me enough to cash out the $$$ for a 3dsXL. -stares at the main page timer-

Hong

The Strongest
Well, gosh.

Even though I think Smash 4 Wii U will hold a lot of value to me, Smash 4 3DS is still Smash. That makes it better than 90% of the system's library (which is saying a lot with how amazing the 3DS library is). Needless to say, I'll be playing it while I wait for Smash 4 Wii U, and then I'll persist to play it when I'm not able to play the Wii U version.

At the end of the day, aside from the fact I'm a competitive player and the Wii U will have a lot of advantages for our scene, I just like sharing a couch and a screen. The larger music library is a plus.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I much prefer handheld games to console games, because I'm on the go for the most part.

I might get the Wii U version one of these days, but the 3DS version is like a dream come true.

D

Deleted member

For me, the 3DS version will be more filler than a main game. It's kind of there to warm me up for when the home-console experience launches here and such.

That's not to say I won't have fun with it though. I will definitely, but just not as much fun as I will have with the Wii U version.

It's still going to be one of my main go-to games when going to conventions though.

D

Deleted member

I think it'll be my main version. It's not a ''demo'', neither a ''single player experience''. It's a full-blown Smash Bros. game, which is awesome. I'm not gonna lie, I like both the Wii U game and the 3DS game, but the latter brings a new thing to the table, because it's on a handheld.

Soul.

I don't think it's a "filler", it's its own game.
Not everyone will play Smash Wii U (or even get a Wii U for that matter), so having them play Smash Bros. on their 3DS is a good thing for them. The online multiplayer will most likely be stable because of Nintendo Network, so that's a plus.
The game has almost all the same things you'd expect from a console Smash game. Isn't that awesome?
If everything can be competitive, I don't see why this game can't be competitive—it will be, eventually.

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
I'll be playing both versions indefinitely. While the Wii U has better graphics and some great stages here and there, the 3DS is definitely the one I'll be getting at launch because at this point, my 3DS is more of a priority than my Wii U, because for now I mostly use my Wii U for Wii and VC Games. That'll all change when SSBU and Zelda U comes out though ;3

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Calling it a "filler" is an insult to the 3DS version IMO. That means you'll just leave the 3DS version collecting dust when the Wii U version comes out :( Anyways to answer, the 3DS will be my main version.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Don't get me wrong. I'm not dismissing the game at all. I plan to join the competitive community this time around so I'll be looking forward to 3ds tournaments as well as Wii U. Smash Bros on a handheld is great and I probably won't be able to put it down when I'm away from the Wii U. But when I'm home I'll pretty much play the Wii U version only unless I'm doing some online play on 3ds

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I'm maining the 3ds one myself, since just about everyone I know will have it, and that'll make it a way more fun game for me. A friend is picking up the Wii U version, so we'll just all play his, which will be fine.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Don't get me wrong. I'm not dismissing the game at all. I plan to join the competitive community this time around so I'll be looking forward to 3ds tournaments as well as Wii U. Smash Bros on a handheld is great and I probably won't be able to put it down when I'm away from the Wii U. But when I'm home I'll pretty much play the Wii U version only unless I'm doing some online play on 3ds
If only I could get both consoles :(

D

Deleted member

Wasn't Smash 4 originally planned to be a 3DS only game?
Yeah, at first, back in 2008, right after Brawl's release, and when the 3DS was in development, there was internal talk regarding a new Smash game. Nintendo first asked Sakurai to make a 3DS game, Iwata knew fans would like to have Smash on the 3DS. However, KI:U turned out to be Sakurai's first 3DS game. So I think..

Smash 3DS = Conceived in 2008
Smash Wii U = Conceived in 2010 or 2011

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Both versions will be my main versions.

The 3DS version will pretty much be all I play until the Wii U version arrives. When the Wii U version arrives, I will likely focus on that while at home, but I'm going to be at college everyday, so I'll bring my 3DS with me to play everyday, even on the release day of the Wii U version.

The 3DS version also has Smash Run, which I am a huge advocate of, and really want to grow it into it's own thing. Also, Smash Run is being made out to be the best possible way to collect equipment and stuff, so if that is true, than I will likely collect stuff on the 3DS and import them to the Wii U.

Overall, I'll be pretty balanced with how I play both versions. Though there will likely be periods of time where I will favour one over the other (3DS while college is on, Wii U over breaks and weekends).

Raijinken

Smash Master
Main version until I have a real reason to get a Wii U.

And once that happens, it will become my portable backup.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Filler? Meh. I've been trying to figure out whether I'll prefer the 3DS version or the Wii U version, and although it will probably be the Wii U version, the 3DS one will always have Smash Run and its own little charm, and I'm gonna be (hopefully) very satisfied with it.

Plus, some of my friends only have a 3DS and don't plan on getting a Wii U, so to play them would require the 3DS version, unless they're round at mine.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I don't really play games on the go anymore, so that isn't a huge appeal to me. It really is filler until SmashU comes out, I was probably going to trade it into Gamestop or sell it on Ebay too, unless the connectivity between the two games makes it worth it, but even then, if it's just transffering equipment and unlocked characters, I'd just get rid of the 3DS version after I get all my stuff out.

Smash Run looks fun, but it doesn't look like it'll hold my focus as much as good old fashioned competitive fighting will.

Yori

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to use the 3DS version, and when the Wii U comes out, I'll come there. The 3DS version won't be a filler for me at all, because I won't always be in my room, so having it on-the-go will be fantastic. I'll also be using the 3DS version when I'm in my living room or in my bed, because the Wii U would be uncomfortable compared to the 3DS version. I'd also like to be able to walk around my house while playing, so I can be on things like SmashBoards without having to constantly switch, or without bringing my computer into my room.
Yeah, that's pretty much the reason I got both Monster Hunter 3 versions. It feels really great to play the same game you play in your gaming room in the living room/bed. I don't use it outside of the house, and I still think it was worth it.
So, I'll just be playing the Wii U version with friends and when playing for tech skill or with my friends, and when I feel like playing Smash somewhere else.
Further more, I heard poeple say the 3DS version actually feels faster. I believe Ken even said he liked it better. So who knows, maybe Smash for Wii U will end up as the filler :o

Soul.

Since the 3DS' install base is larger than the Wii U's, I think we can expect to see competitive players on Smash 3DS, some of them would be the best at playing their character of choice in that version but still wouldn't get Smash Wii U.
I know some will say that the game is suited for casuals, but you'll see competitive stuff on this version. Besides, the online will be stable as I said before, so you can play casual matches or try to do competitive ones.

D

Deleted member

Since the 3DS' install base is larger than the Wii U's, I think we can expect to see competitive players on Smash 3DS, some of them would be the best at playing their character of choice in that version but still wouldn't get Smash Wii U.
I know some will say that the game is suited for casuals, but you'll see competitive stuff on this version. Besides, the online will be stable as I said before, so you can play casual matches or try to do competitive ones.
Well, the versions are aimed towards both casual and hardcore players, I just don't get this ''demo / single player experience''' thing. Back to the reply, I'm pretty sure the online is going to be just as stable as the Wii U game, so there wouldn't be a problem doing online matches.

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
This is true. Smash 3ds has things to separate it from the Wii U version. The reason I use "filler" is because a lot, if not most, rather play it on a console with a full size screen and more comfortable controls with Gamecube support. I'm not that hype for Smash Run so I really just want to get my hands on the game to learn the mechanics and characters before I jump to Wii U. But I'll definitely still use the 3ds for on-the-go play
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yes it will hold me over until Smash 4. But that said, I won't stop playing it as soon as I get the Wii U version. It will be my go-to game on the go. The ability to open up my 3DS, launch Smash Bros. and get a few matches in while I'm traveling is worth buying this version alone :)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Wasn't Smash 4 originally planned to be a 3DS only game?
It would have been a damn shame if they stuck to that plan, IMO.

I'm probably going to enjoy SSB3D as it is now, but if that was the only version, then it just wouldn't feel "real" and I probably would've skipped over it.

Last edited:

Kaitou

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameEmpireHD
3DS FC
3496-9817-0774
Didn't Sakurai technically said that 3DS Smash is the fourth and the Wii U is the fifth installment?

I am going to play it a lot, and when I get it for Wii U, I'm not going to neglect it either.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Didn't Sakurai technically said that 3DS Smash is the fourth and the Wii U is the fifth installment?

I am going to play it a lot, and when I get it for Wii U, I'm not going to neglect it either.
He said that he'd treat them as a 4th and 5th version. He never really specified which version is which though (if I recall correctly). Though I suppose if we go by release then the 3DS version being "Smash 4" and the Wii U version being "Smash 5" is probably the way most would go....

Anyway, I'm not planning to neglect the 3DS version once the Wii U version drops. I tend to go out and about a lot these days so I will definitely be using the 3DS version quite a lot even after the Wii U's release.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Smash 3DS is not filler. Both versions were announced at the same time and I will be playing both versions. Mostly the 3DS version because portability.

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
Why do people always focus on a games negativies rather than it's positives, ESPECIALLY when it hasn't been released?? I assure 3/4 of the people that put down Smash on the 3DS haven't even touched it, or don't own a 3DS. Of course it isn't going to be visually greater than the Wii U version, but for christ sakes people be greatful Sakurai is even making a new smash brothers game. If you're one of those people that have to cry and have something negative to say about every update we ever get about the games, do us all a favor, and shut the **** up.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The 3DS version is not a filler and is in no way inferior to the Wii U version IMO. I would really love if some people respected Smash 3DS a little more.
Yes it will hold me over until Smash 4.
Smash 3DS is Smash 4. lol

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Let's see. The 3DS has outsold the Wii U about seven times over. Smash may boost the Wii U's sales, but I'm betting that the 3DS version is going to be the main version for a lot of people.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
People often forget what it means to have a HANDHELD SMASH BROTHERS GAME.

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
Let's see. The 3DS has outsold the Wii U about seven times over. Smash may boost the Wii U's sales, but I'm betting that the 3DS version is going to be the main version for a lot of people.
Probably will simply because young smashers cant afford a wii u

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
People often forget what it means to have a HANDHELD SMASH BROTHERS GAME.
That's the main selling point to me. Who can complain about portable Smash Bros? Some complain about the controls but that shouldn't make anyone not buy it.

Top Bottom