• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Bros. 3DS a "filler"?

How are you handling Smash Bros. 3DS?

• Total voters

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Who cares about console/handheld sales anyway? I think both versions are great for plenty of their own reasons, though I'll probably take the Wii U version a bit more seriously, while screwing around for fun more on the 3DS version. That's just the nature of console vs handheld to me. Of course...one could do the same with 3DS if they please, but that's just MY style.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I can't wait to play smash on the go or sitting in my bathroom lol. I have wifi almost everywhere I go so I look forward to it. I will be buying both but I hope some of the audience who just has a 3DS might want to purchase a Wii U if they have a lot of fun with the 3DS version and ultimately boost sales of both units/consoles. There's a lot riding on this game.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Probably will simply because young smashers cant afford a wii u
That + the fact the console market in Japan is mediocre nowadays, most of the best selling games are on handhelds or mobile. It is a given that Smash 3DS will sell a lot more than Smash Wii U, which means the player base will be considerably bigger.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That + the fact the console market in Japan is mediocre nowadays, most of the best selling games are on handhelds or mobile. It is a given that Smash 3DS will sell a lot more than Smash Wii U, which means the player base will be considerably bigger.
Which I why I find the "OMG, it's just a money-grab" argument that has been around since day one so aggravating. 3DS has a much larger market, and will have a much larger community.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Which I why I find the "OMG, it's just a money-grab" argument that has been around since day one so aggravating. 3DS has a much larger market, and will have a much larger community.
Dang people been saying that? I can see if Smash 3ds was just thrown together for the sake of having it on 3ds but it is a full-fledged Smash with a lot of aspects that make it its own game.

Reila

Yeah, that argument is baffling. If anything, the 3DS version is THE main version of Smash 4. It is not a money-grab.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Dang people been saying that? I can see if Smash 3ds was just thrown together for the sake of having it on 3ds but it is a full-fledged Smash with a lot of aspects that make it its own game.
Yep. Which is honestly what this thread sounded like. "Oh, is the 3DS version just a filler?" reminds me a lot of the "oh, they're just shoving this out there to get people to buy the game immediately, then buy it again when the Wii U version comes out" argument that has been all over the place.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Personally, I think the Wii U will be much more prominent in marketing and media. Why do you think every newcomer trailer is on the Wii U version? Nonetheless, I will be buying both versions of the game and I will enjoy them both very much :shyguy:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Yep. Which is honestly what this thread sounded like. "Oh, is the 3DS version just a filler?" reminds me a lot of the "oh, they're just shoving this out there to get people to buy the game immediately, then buy it again when the Wii U version comes out" argument that has been all over the place.
Sorry if you or anyone felt that's what this thread was about. I'm not trying to bash the game and I have no complaints about it. As I said in previous posts, I'm getting this game and I'm gonna play the heck out of it. But when the Wii U version releases I won't be playing it as much because I prefer to play on the console. I'll still play it when I'm out and about or if ppl wanna play with me online.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The 3DS version is not a filler and is in no way inferior to the Wii U version IMO. I would really love if some people respected Smash 3DS a little more.

Smash 3DS is Smash 4. lol
Whoops didn't mean to imply I didn't think it was xD Just a miswording.

But yes, while it will technically be a hold over until the Wii U version. I am certainly not thinking it of any less. Playing Smash at home and on-the-go will be a huge plus.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Personally, I'm only getting the 3DS version to pass the time before the Wii U version comes out.
Once the Wii U version is out I'll probably only play the 3DS on road trips and daily commute.

Soul.

I agree with this. The 3DS already has a larger install base than the Wii U's. Smash 3DS will only make it even more larger.
This game was never the inferior version, people are making it seem like it, but it's not. They haven't tried out the game and are already judging it.
As I said, not everything will be on the Wii U. Smash 3DS deserves the same treatment Smash Wii U is having.

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I agree with this. The 3DS already has a larger install base than the Wii U's. Smash 3DS will only make it even more larger.
This game was never the inferior version, people are making it seem like it, but it's not. They haven't tried out the game and are already judging it.
As I said, not everything will be on the Wii U. Smash 3DS deserves the same treatment Smash Wii U is having.
Yessss, everything abot this statement is spot-on.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
will play both, forget pokemon omega i'm getting both smashes that's probably a year worth of gaming for me(its good since i won't waste my money buying other games).

D

Deleted member

@ Reila Reila Some users wish the 3DS version never existed just so that the Wii U can get more console sales with Smash Bros. Wii U. For sales, they can leave that up to Nintendo, we could play the games. Oh yeah, and I also think the 3DS version is the main version, but that's just me.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'd also like to point out that, while the competitive players may not agree, as a casual player, the 3DS version is utterly destroying the Wii U version in terms of interesting maps.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Options 1, 2, and 4 are all applicable to me.

It will always be my go-to for an "on the go" Smash Bros, but before the Wii U version is released, it will fill in for my desire to play that version as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am honestly going to treat it as a demo version of the game; however, I will also use "option 2" more or less for playing before I fall asleep in bed.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The 3DS version of the game is going to be an entirely different beast altogether. Because of the differences in Physics, Space Limitations, Tier Lists, and Controls, the 3DS version is going to be a entirely different experience.

So I find them two different experiences altogether.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
I'd also like to point out that, while the competitive players may not agree, as a casual player, the 3DS version is utterly destroying the Wii U version in terms of interesting maps.
Haha, I completely agree with this!

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
BTW, if the Circle Pad Pro is compatible with Smash, then that will make the 3DS version even better and it will feel like an actual controller.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'll get the 3DS version on release and play the hell out of it, then get the Wii U version when it comes out and probably drop the 3DS version.

Unless I can be comfortable with the 3DS then I'll play both.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Alot of people hate the 3DS version because they want the Wii U version to have more characters. Even if the Wii U version was by itself, there would be still around 40-54 characters. Ttrust me on that.

Last edited:

Reila

Personally, I think the Wii U will be much more prominent in marketing and media. Why do you think every newcomer trailer is on the Wii U version? Nonetheless, I will be buying both versions of the game and I will enjoy them both very much :shyguy:
Are you really asking this question? They have to promote the Wii U version at least in the trailers, if they want it to sell. Plus, the game does have more advanced graphics than the 3DS version (although I prefer the visual of the 3DS one, but that is just me), it is only natural that they would use footage of the Wii U version in trailers.
Alot of people hate the 3DS version because they want the Wii U version to have more characters. Even if the Wii U version was by itself, there would be still around 40-54 characters. Ttrust me on that.
People who think Smash 4 would have more characters or more content if the 3DS version didn't exist are just delusional. Nintendo would just save the budged they spend on the 3DS version, with the Wii U version being essentially the same as it is now.

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Are you really asking this question? They have to promote the Wii U version at least in the trailers, if they want it to sell. Plus, the game does have more advanced graphics than the 3DS version (although I prefer the visual of the 3DS one, but that is just me), it is only natural that they would use footage of the Wii U version in trailers.

People who think Smash 4 would have more characters or more content if the 3DS version didn't exist are just delusional. Nintendo would just save the budged they spend on the 3DS version, with the Wii U version being essentially the same as it is now.
Agreed, and I also prefer the 3DS Visuals, but I also love those HD Graphics on the Wii U one lol.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Are you really asking this question? They have to promote the Wii U version at least in the trailers, if they want it to sell. Plus, the game does have more advanced graphics than the 3DS version (although I prefer the visual of the 3DS version, but that is just me), it is only natural that they would use footage of the Wii U version in trailers.

^This. I'm surprised how many people think lowly of the 3DS like it's a hindrance. It's been said a lot, but the 3DS version would have been the only version.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
And Besides, The 3DS Images look better when you're actually looking at them on Miiverse. They are soo amazing in person when you are playing it, I hear.

Reila

Agreed, and I also prefer the 3DS Visuals, but I also love those HD Graphics on the Wii U one lol.
Oh, me too! I am not trying to belittle the Wii U version, as it does have its merits. The HD graphics are really good.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I have a Wii U and the 3DS, and I'm going to get both. Since you can take your 3DS on the go, you won't have to be restricted to having to be in one place to play Smash Bros on the big TV. Also, the 3DS currently has more sales than the WIi U version, so I won't be surprised if I ever find someone with the game.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Plus, the game does have more advanced graphics than the 3DS version (although I prefer the visual of the 3DS one, but that is just me), it is only natural that they would use footage of the Wii U version in trailers.

Exactly. It does not matter if a 3DS version existed or not, the size of the roster would not change, because Sakurai determines how big the roster will be.

I love Cel-shading, which is why I will love playing the 3DS version.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I have a Wii U and the 3DS, and I'm going to get both. Since you can take your 3DS on the go, you won't have to be restricted to having to be in one place to play Smash Bros on the big TV. Also, the 3DS currently has more sales than the WIi U version, so I won't be surprised if I ever find someone with the game.
So when you're walking down on the side-walks, make sure you use the Smash Bros 3DS's Street Pass :awesome:.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm more excited for the Wii U's graphics, but I've never bought Nintendo for graphics before - that's never been their selling point. Now that they have it, it's just an extra bonus.

The 3DS mode is amazing because I can fit so many smash runs into my hour long metro commute, and now I don't have to choose between going to class and playing smash next semester!

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I'm not gonna lie, Brawl looked good in my eyes. But when I compare it to Smash 4 Wii U/3DS, wow.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm more excited for the Wii U's graphics, but I've never bought Nintendo for graphics before - that's never been their selling point. Now that they have it, it's just an extra bonus.

The 3DS mode is amazing because I can fit so many smash runs into my hour long metro commute, and now I don't have to choose between going to class and playing smash next semester!
Another difference between the two versions and reasons to own them.

The biggest reason to own the Wii U version is that you can support multiple players on only one version of the game, which is unsure about the 3DS version.

3DS version is the best when it comes to going to places. Like being at a Beach house far out into the Country, bring your 3DS version and that makes things all the better.

Last edited:

Kaitou

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameEmpireHD
3DS FC
3496-9817-0774
That's the main selling point to me. Who can complain about portable Smash Bros? Some complain about the controls but that shouldn't make anyone not buy it.
Wouldn't using a Circle Pad Pro or that new thing made by Hori for Monster Hunter make things more comfortable?

It's not like the 3DS version is holding back the Wii U version at all.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Ugh, why did Sakurai have to put Redeads in Smash Run? I hate them so. Oh well, i'll enjoy giving them the Explosive Flame.

Soul.

If Smash 3DS was the only Smash that existed, everyone would be like this:
"This game won't be competitive. I don't see the point."
"Wow, really? Only for 3DS?"
This game will be good. Different tier lists, competitive players, stages, modes, and a unique experience. A Smash Bros. game on a handheld console like the 3DS is really a dream come true. Now players can do what they wanted to do in previous Smash games, but on their 3DS with an improved online multiplayer.

Top Bottom