• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Bros. 3DS a "filler"?

How are you handling Smash Bros. 3DS?

• Total voters

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Also I kinda don't like the idea of the 3DS version being made at all tbh... Yeah you can play on the go... Neat I guess. But the game would have been out by now if there was no 3DS version, there would be no "Stage exclusives" (Which does not bother me a lot but something to point out), more time would go into balancing the Wii U version I bet as well.

But that is what I think I guess.
Do you want to start a flame war? :laugh:

D

Deleted member

We've been wanting for a handheld Smash Bros. since the beginning, and now people hate on it. Welp, fans don't know what they want I guess.. maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is better than just ignore his post.

Anyways, I will never understand what the people who dislike/don't care/hate the 3DS version even do in the 3DS board. I mean, aside from threads regarding both versions, I never post in threads in the Smash Wii U board. Why can't others do same? Is the urge to annoy the future 3DS player-base that strong? Everyone has the right to not care/dislike one version of the game or even Smash as a whole, but coming here to trash the 3DS version of the game is just childish.

Soul.

A handheld Smash Bros. is a dream come true. It makes people who couldn't play the previous Smash games play the game at any time. This game will be competitive even if people think it won't. Some people prefer the 3DS version, and that's the way it is. Not everyone is getting a Wii U and the console game. I think the 3DS players will actually be pleased with their version.
Even if users wish that there was no Smash 3DS, it was bound to happen anyway.
If Wii U is getting the "better" balance, 3DS will have the better balance too.

Also, does every 3DS thread have to be 3DS vs. Wii U? Is this the new Melee vs. Brawl?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Selling the 3DS version first might help sell the Wii U. Get people interested in the game who already own a 3DS, get them wanting to see it on an HD screen, get them to check out the Wii U. Possibly.
For the core gamer, it might, and if anything, it'll sell less Wii U systems. Your average Joe isn't going to fork over $300 and $60 for a Wii U and SSB4 when they can buy the inexpensive alternative for less than $200 and $40 each. This is also a problem in Japan as console gaming is in rapid decline, so there won't be any incentive for the Japanese to purchase the same game they can already play on the go.

D

Deleted member

@ SS-bros14 SS-bros14 Yeah, it's kinda turning out like the next Melee vs. Brawl debacle. I agree with Reila, why do Wii U-only users comment in 3DS-specific threads? It just doesn't make sense, especially if they don't like the handheld game.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
It's an interesting point that @ SpeedBoost SpeedBoost makes, mostly when it comes to balancing, but I still am super excited and happy for a handheld Smash Bros. I finally won't have to lug around my Wii or laptop for every trip I take to get a taste of Super Smash.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
A handheld Smash Bros. is a dream come true. It makes people who couldn't play the previous Smash games play the game at any time. This game will be competitive even if people think it won't. Some people prefer the 3DS version, and that's the way it is. Not everyone is getting a Wii U and the console game. I think the 3DS players will actually be pleased with their version.
Even if users wish that there was no Smash 3DS, it was bound to happen anyway.
If Wii U is getting the "better" balance, 3DS will have the better balance too.

Also, does every 3DS thread have to be 3DS vs. Wii U? Is this the new Melee vs. Brawl?
Haters be hatin'.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Also I kinda don't like the idea of the 3DS version being made at all tbh... Yeah you can play on the go... Neat I guess. But the game would have been out by now if there was no 3DS version, there would be no "Stage exclusives" (Which does not bother me a lot but something to point out), more time would go into balancing the Wii U version I bet as well.

I'm pretty sure the balance is going to be the same in both versions.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660

Mods should ban trolls who randomly come here and talk down to the 3DS version like it's trash.

D

Deleted member

Mods should ban trolls who randomly come here and talk down to the 3DS version like it's trash.
Hmm, I don't get it. Wii U-only users should post threads and comments in their Smash Wii U board. It's okay if they dislike the 3DS game, but commenting on 3DS-specific threads / boards, and claiming the game is ''trash'' and / or ''it's inferior compared to the Wii U game'' + other comments.. just doesn't make sense.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
I'm pretty sure the balance is going to be the same in both versions.
The point he makes, though, is that more time could have been spent on balancing had they not divided time between working on two Smash games instead of one. I really hope that the balancing is good in these games. If I had to choose between two Smash games (one portable) that aren't as well balanced as they could be vs. one Smash game that has had a lot of time devoted to balance it'd be tough, but I want the most balance possible. Like I said, though, I hope they were able to accomplish good balancing on top of making two versions of the game. A few things are kind of red flags to me right now, but we won't really know until we've had our hands on the games for a while.

That discussion is really for another thread, though. It's not really what the topic was going for, so I agree that it's a bit disrespectful to come to this thread and make a post like that. (edit: Actually, re-reading the post it wasn't that bad as he contributed to the topic at hand) That said, though, I can understand the point as balance is very important to me.

I just am still excited for handheld Smash, and hope they were able to dedicate enough time for proper balance on top of having to create two versions of Smash 4.

Last edited:

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
I was not talking trash, you need to understand what an opinion is. I am not hating, I am stating what I think. I said I would still buy the 3DS version but won't touch it again until there is the Wii U version plain and simple.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I was not talking trash, you need to understand what an opinion is. I am not hating, I am stating what I think. I said I would still buy the 3DS version but won't touch it again until there is the Wii U version plain and simple.
Still, you didn't have to say they shouldn't have made the 3DS version in the forum about the 3DS version.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The point he makes, though, is that more time could have been spent on balancing had they not divided time between working on two Smash games instead of one. I really hope that the balancing is good in these games. If I had to choose between two Smash games (one portable) that aren't as well balanced as they could be vs. one Smash game that has had a lot of time devoted to balance it'd be tough, but I want the most balance possible. Like I said, though, I hope they were able to accomplish good balancing on top of making two versions of the game. A few things are kind of red flags to me right now, but we won't really know until we've had our hands on the games for a while.

That discussion is really for another thread, though. It's not really what the topic was going for, so I agree that it's a bit disrespectful to come to this thread and make a post like that. That said, though, I can understand the point as balance is very important to me.

I just am still excited for handheld Smash, and hope they were able to dedicate enough time for proper balance on top of having to create two versions of Smash 4.
Actually, that's not really a valid conclusion.

The thing is, everyone on the team does not work on the same things.

The guys working on balance weren't pulled to work on other features for the 3DS or Wii U version. They were working on balance, and there's no reason to assume that their time was shortened.

There were two coding teams, to handle the different hardware, and different art/stage design possibly (though it could be one team doing both). Character design, balance, movesets... These are all the same between both versions. It would, in fact, be extremely bad design and overall development to split their function in a way that would make the two work out differently due to having a second version going on a different system.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Actually, that's not really a valid conclusion.

The thing is, everyone on the team does not work on the same things.
Good points that I didn't think of, and you're right. Likely this didn't have an affect on balancing, which is quite good to know. Why you think people are speculating on different tier lists, however, as if the games characters have different balancing? Just nonsense, I hope. I don't want another Fox/MK sort of scenario where they dominate the rest of the cast, as we saw with Bowser at the 3DS tournament. It is very early to say if we'll get that, but I do hope it's all balanced well.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Good points that I didn't think of, and you're right. Likely this didn't have an affect on balancing, which is quite good to know. Why you think people are speculating on different tier lists, however, as if the games characters have different balancing? Just nonsense, I hope. I don't want another Fox/MK sort of scenario where they dominate the rest of the cast, as we saw with Bowser at the 3DS tournament. It is very early to say if we'll get that, but I do hope it's all balanced well.
Different controls, different stages.

Assuming people don't play all Final Destination maps, the differing stages are going to have some significant changes to who shows up where.

Little things like lack of a C-Stick and Z-Button for easy grabs may also affect how easy to play a character is, possibly.

Or people are just idiots, a possibility I never rule out.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
For the core gamer, it might, and if anything, it'll sell less Wii U systems. Your average Joe isn't going to fork over $300 and $60 for a Wii U and SSB4 when they can buy the inexpensive alternative for less than $200 and $40 each. This is also a problem in Japan as console gaming is in rapid decline, so there won't be any incentive for the Japanese to purchase the same game they can already play on the go.
Maybe, you'd be surprised how many people bought the Wii just for Wii Sports or Mario Kart Wii.
Of course most wouldn't buy the system for just Super Smash Bros though, but it might be the tipping point. Like maybe they were interested in Super Mario 3D World or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze or Mario Kart 8 or Bayonetta 2 but weren't quite ready to make a commitment when Super Smash Bros. arrives and ends up being the deciding factor.

I haven't been keeping up on the debate, but if you truly did say the 3DS version 'shouldn't have been made' then you really should not have said that. As far as I see it, there have and always will be people that will want their favorite games or series in portable form and may even prefer them in portable form. If you didn't say that though, then okay, you're allowed your own opinion.

I am curious though, are you positive that you'll never pick it up again? What if you go on a trip or have to wait somewhere for a couple hours? Can you say you won't play a little portable Smash in those instances?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I haven't been keeping up on the debate, but if you truly did say the 3DS version 'shouldn't have been made' then you really should not have said that. As far as I see it, there have and always will be people that will want their favorite games or series in portable form and may even prefer them in portable form. If you didn't say that though, then okay, you're allowed your own opinion.
That's me. There are so many more games I would buy if they were available as a portable form.

LIKE 95% OF THE WII U'S VIRTUAL CONSOLE. Stupid Nintendo.

I still play consoles, but I ADORE my handhelds.

D

Deleted member

But one question, man. If you like the Wii U version more, why would you buy the 3DS game, instead of waiting for the former's release?

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I personally am buying both versions because I have both systems. Sure I'll majority play the Wii U version when its out but even so having the 3ds version to change things up is also nice, I have quite a bit of friends that play smash so having both options is good.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
The ability to play with anyone on Smashboards who has either version will be a good plus to having both as well.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I hate to admit it, but it feels like I'm buying Smash Bros. for 3DS to fill the gap.

I know it will be a fantastic game, and I'm going to love it, but most of my handheld consoles and games eventually get ignored. I don't often take my 3DS on the go, and with the GamePad doubling as a larger-scale handheld (at least around the house), I feel like the Wii U version will quickly be my go-to experience for the newest Smash Bros.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I've always wanted a handheld Smash Bros, and I don't even see the reason why so many people hate on it. I'm even more glad that Smash Bros is on 3DS because the 3DS is the perfect handheld to play the Smash Bros on.

Last edited:

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
the 3DS is the perfect handheld to play the Smash Bros on.
This is probably blasphemy here, but Smash Bros. actually looks like it would work pretty well on the Vita.

Edit: Warning, I do not own a PSVita nor do I condone or endorse them. This is just an observation I had. Due to a c-stick I feel it could be good for Smash. While I was initially disappointed with the lack of c-stick on the 3DS, I am not too concerned with it really.

Last edited:

Soul.

Is Smash 3DS inferior. Serious question.
Do you need a Wii U to fully enjoy Smash Bros., even if you can enjoy it on the 3DS as well?
Not everything has to be from a console.

Last edited:

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, you'd be surprised how many people bought the Wii just for Wii Sports or Mario Kart Wii.
Of course most wouldn't buy the system for just Super Smash Bros though, but it might be the tipping point. Like maybe they were interested in Super Mario 3D World or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze or Mario Kart 8 or Bayonetta 2 but weren't quite ready to make a commitment when Super Smash Bros. arrives and ends up being the deciding factor.

I am curious though, are you positive that you'll never pick it up again? What if you go on a trip or have to wait somewhere for a couple hours? Can you say you won't play a little portable Smash in those instances?
Well if I go on a trip and get board I might play it but when I want to play my friends and even play alone I have no reason to play the 3ds version when I could play the Wii U version with the GC controller, better graphics, and so on. But I don't HATE the 3DS version, if I hated it I would not buy it, the 3DS version is like the Diet Coke of Smash4 I would say.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's filler for me. The game is definitely not made as a "filler" game (A game to hold people off until Wii U) but honestly Fighting games like Smash are not made for the 3DS (Look at Street Fighter 4 3D for an example)
I just wanted to comment on this, because I thought that SSFIV3DE was an incredible port. The reasons it failed had nothing to do with not being good for portables. Namely, it came out when there were very few 3DS owners, and the developer's decision to let you map inputs to the touchscreen was an AWFUL idea. Online matches consisted of nothing but charge characters and T. Hawks that could abuse the new setup. Had they not put that in, it'd be the exact same thing as the console version. Just, y'know, minus the option of arcade sticks.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Guess I'm part of the 3.1% who's not buying the 3DS version.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
To be fair, most Japanese gamers play on handheld systems. So it makes sense that Smash would be on the 3DS since that's going to sell more.

American sales are nice, but have never been a HUGE priority to Japanese companies. It has been getting bigger over the last few years though. Even so, with this knowledge you can't call 3DS a 'filler' version when it is clearly meant to be the 'real' version in its home country.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Even if the controls for the Wii U version are better (which I'm sure they will be), I'm likely going to play the 3DS version much more, mostly because it'll be easier to pick up and play a quick match. Although I'm going to wait till both games actually come out to figure out which one I like best.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To be fair, most Japanese gamers play on handheld systems. So it makes sense that Smash would be on the 3DS since that's going to sell more.

American sales are nice, but have never been a HUGE priority to Japanese companies. It has been getting bigger over the last few years though. Even so, with this knowledge you can't call 3DS a 'filler' version when it is clearly meant to be the 'real' version in its home country.
Uh... huh? American sales account for the largest bulk of almost every internationally released gaming hardware and/or software, and have for the past decade or more. There are specific products that sell better in Eastern countries due to culture differences, but that's not at all due to pandering. Every Eastern publisher and developer would love to capture the Western market. There are simply way more people over here to buy stuff.

The West is always a priority, unless the product in question isn't deemed marketable in the West.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Uh... huh? American sales account for the largest bulk of almost every internationally released gaming hardware and/or software, and have for the past decade or more. There are specific products that sell better in Eastern countries due to culture differences, but that's not at all due to pandering. Every Eastern publisher and developer would love to capture the Western market. There are simply way more people over here to buy stuff.

The West is always a priority, unless the product in question isn't deemed marketable in the West.
While this is true, it's also worth pointing out that Japanese companies can sometimes be complete idiots about what is "marketable in the West".

Case in point, Bravely Default, which wasn't considered marketable by Square Enix, until Nintendo actually up and paid for the localization. Yet was then so successful that it actually made Square rethink their business strategies.

Nintendo has been very good, especially lately, about seeing things localized, but in general, Japanese companies can be really thick about that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
With Smash it seems the West is a huge priority, obvious from the tournaments and promotions they've been having.

With all of the trouble Nintendo has been having with sales, though, I think everything is a huge priority to them.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah, anyone who's lived in Japan for any amount of time will tell you that they tend to focus on their own people first.
To quote a teacher I had who taught in Japan "You're Japanese first and a person second there".
Most developers also don't put much research into games, deciding what is 'marketable' in the West mostly from whatever TV or Movies from the West end up over there..this is a big part of why Keiji Inafune thought the new DmC Dante would be more popular then the original, more Japanese influenced Dante of the first 4 DMC games.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Don't you think Nintendo has been getting a bit better about this, though? Especially over the past year or so, and maybe because of how poorly they've done with the Wii U sales and negative press with that. It seems NOJ have had much better integration and communication with NOA and the West than ever before. Like has been shown with their push for Bravely Default, for example, they seem to be getting smarter about these things.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think Nintendo is one of the few Japanese Game Companies that actually does 'get' what Western Fans like.

They're only faux pas in recent memory was not originally planning to localize Xenoblade Chronicles in the West, though I think Project Rainfall, and that entire event in particular, helped open their eyes even more.

Fun Fact that's related to this though. Nintendo of Japan never thought that Super Smash Bros. would succeed, even in Japan, so it was originally going to be a Japan Only title with a Limited Run..until it sold amazingly, prompting them to release it Worldwide. A Similar Case occurred with Pokemon, where Nintendo of America thought it was 'too Japanese' and were originally going to Westernize the Pokemon before deciding to leave the games virtually unaltered for the West to massive success.

Top Bottom