• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Bros. 3DS a "filler"?

How are you handling Smash Bros. 3DS?

• Total voters

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Fun Fact that's related to this though. Nintendo of Japan never thought that Super Smash Bros. would succeed, even in Japan, so it was originally going to be a Japan Only title with a Limited Run..until it sold amazingly, prompting them to release it Worldwide. A Similar Case occurred with Pokemon, where Nintendo of America thought it was 'too Japanese' and were originally going to Westernize the Pokemon before deciding to leave the games virtually unaltered for the West to massive success.
It's cool having grown up seeing things like Pokemon come over here. I can remember in 2nd or 3rd grade (1996-ish) someone from Japan came and showed us things that were common there. She held up a small Pikachu figurine and said this was one of the popular toys for kids our age. Crazy that only a couple years later Pokemon would explode in America and everyone would know who Pikachu was.

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Yeah, anyone who's lived in Japan for any amount of time will tell you that they tend to focus on their own people first.
To quote a teacher I had who taught in Japan "You're Japanese first and a person second there".
Most developers also don't put much research into games, deciding what is 'marketable' in the West mostly from whatever TV or Movies from the West end up over there..this is a big part of why Keiji Inafune thought the new DmC Dante would be more popular then the original, more Japanese influenced Dante of the first 4 DMC games.
This is more what I meant, sorry for being confusing in my first post. One of my friends lives in Japan now so he mentions a lot of things in passing. Two of the big ones were that consoles aren't big sellers in Japan because they prefer handhelds and arcades. The other was that MOST (not all) of the time Japanese companies will question whether localizing something is worth the cost. A lot of times things will not be localized unless the american branches themselves push for it. I don't know how much of that is true since he doesn't work for Nintendo or anything, but he's never flat out lied to me either, so I think he has a point.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That is how a lot of Japanese companies act. For whatever reason, they'll assume that the only things Westerners like are games like Call of Duty or other similar realistic/gritty games and not want to even bother unless they can release a game that will make close to the same amount of money as those games, which is just sad to me and part of my real animosity towards that series.

They also tend to use those games as a representation of what Western Gamers like, thinking their games are too 'Japanese' for Westerners to enjoy, which they're usually wrong, even if they might not sell as well as they do in Japan.

Thankfully Nintendo's games tend to sell very well in almost all territories so we tend to get their games released in the West.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
Fighting games like Smash are not made for the 3DS (Look at Street Fighter 4 3D for an example) they just don't play like the original.
Have you played Dead or Alive Dimensions? Or Blazblue Continuum Shift II? Plus, I have to disagree with the Street Fighter part. It works like a charm. Smash 3DS will work and play amazing. You guys seriously need to get weaned off that Gamecube controller.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I think both versions will be equal but the 3DS version would still act as a way to get feedback from fans about the game so that when the Wii-U version comes out we get a patch update for the 3DS version and the balance changes from that patch will already be in the Wii-U version at launch.

Booster

Smash Lord
To Nintendo the 3DS version will benefit them most since that will gain more customers unlike the half dead console version.
The Wii U may be half dead but...Mario Kart 8? Now for an added bonus of a cartoon quote from the modern classic Chowder from Cartoon Network

Chowder: I found Big Food, but then I ate her.

George Takei: Oh myyyyyy

Top Bottom