• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had more than 10,000 posts during pre-Brawl

Also, I wish I could do Game Art, schools that have those are really expensive though. I know a guy who took game art from a really good school and his art is well done

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My intuos 3 doesn't work for some reason. I'm mad.

I'm going to have to buy a new tablet.

I think it got a scratch on it or something

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is there a problem with the drivers or the cord or the pen?

:phone:
Don't know, all I know is ever since I plugged it into this computer it hasn't worked.

My old computer broke, it seemed to work on it.

The tablet doesn't seem to detect the pen very well

Geist

Smash Master
On the subject of game art, there's really no more distinguishing game art from animation art, or at least that line has been thinning the past 5 years and will continue to thin until it disappears. Unless someone is talking about iphone games you have permission to laugh at them if they start talking about high/low poly because everything is all about surfacing in mudbox/ zbrush now. But even some tablet games are surprisingly close to current gen consoles so even that's becoming a non-issue.
and then soon we'll have voxel sculpting and all this poly talk will go away and we'll be free from its shackles.

Unless you're talking about a much more obscure definition of 'game art' :0

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe not so much game art, but I wish I was going to a school which took the subject more seriously.

The guy I know who took game art at the expensive school had a teacher that made him draw like 50 boxes in a day or something as the first assignment. They seem to take drawing more seriously.

My school is really laid back, and very lenient in work

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I mean, who says that your work and studying even has to be limited to school projects...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eh, it doesn't. Even when I was in school before I worked on my own projects so often my teacher gave me lots of extra credit.

I just feel like a chicken with it's head cut off sometimes in what I'm suppose to be studying

Which reminds me, would trying to draw other people's work be a good way of studying stuff?

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
It can help, yeah. I used to do something similar, where I didn't exactly copy someone else's work but rather tried to emulate their style, and tried to think how they thought. I learned quite a bit that way, but of course I also mixed it with more traditional methods of studying as to not have it influence my own style too much

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah sometimes I kind of wish I applied for VFS instead of AIV because the environment is a little more organized and competitive and fierce, but it was way outside my budget range to begin with.
From what I can tell though, the school you attend has less to do with what you learn as your own personal drive does. I'm sure lots of people in other schools can relate, but I've learned just as much, if not more, by studying and watching tutorial vids in my own time as I have in school. The difference that school makes is that it teaches you how to learn, and that's the important part. That and the fact that you have professionals (hopefully) that have more experience and a better eye that can help you get rid of bad habits, etc. Not to mention they become vital connections later down the road.

But yeah basically, if you think drawing 50 boxes is going to help you, go right on and do it. Even if the rest of everyone is laid back and you look like mr. tryhard, you're doing what you'd be doing in a fancy art school otherwise.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

One of my final renders for my Material and Lighting final :3 NO REGRETS
(class loved the image....jumpin stego)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Didn't stegosauruses have feathers? They are even giving the T-Rex feathers now.

I will continue to make dinosaurs awesome by not giving them feathers

Geist

Smash Master

One of my final renders for my Material and Lighting final :3 NO REGRETS
(class loved the image....jumpin stego)
What kind of things did they go over with you in that class?
I imagine they're software renders on a single pass, judging by the looks of things.

Man lighting and rendering gets stupid complicated once you start messing around the really advanced render settings. I'm still not entirely sure what half of the things I'm pressing are really doing, all I know is that pressing them makes nice things.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
We went over basic photo metric lights and depth of field as the main rendery stuff
Rendered in mental ray : o mental ray so nice
Baaaasic stuff

Derpy legged robot in order to stay awake : | Draw'd yesterday during my "HOLY CRAP IVE BEEN AWAKE FOR OVER 24 HOURS" thing
:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
I'm really getting the urge to paint around 5 am lately
cool robut
but when you do glowy things it should be a primarily white source, with color for the falloff

Also yeah mental ray is spiffy but V-ray has been teetering on the verge of being used everywhere for a while now because it's at least 30% spiffier.

ALSO also I might be getting a temp job at EA doing digital doubles for mo-cap
it's not even really an EA thing, another studio is outsourcing to EA's mo-cap studio in town and they're hiring temps for 8 weeks.
So yeah I'm super excited because not only am I not even finished school and I'm doing a character modeling position (in comparison some graduates who had award winning character reels from my school haven't landed a true character modeling position yet), but it's at a big company with huge amounts of industry connections involved so it's a bit of a make it or break it point for my reputation.

myface.jpg
http://collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Yes_Man/yes_man_movie_poster.jpg

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Paint at 5am. best time to paint IMO

kinda figured rofl
but whatevs. i was falling asleep in my chair as i drew = u=;;; ooops.

I forgot to congratulate you on that!! Aly was tellin me
We was havin a gurl talk moment
aka Aly and Alyssa talk jobs
But doooood
kick ***, take names!

cannedbread

Smash Lord
game design and like 3d animation stuff like that
somewhere close to long island and nyc

i'm on collegeboard looking at some stuff now. agh i should have done this earlier but whatever

im looking at rochester, fit, pratt right na

oh wow i just realized rochester is up north welp

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Well, surprisingly, to my knowledge...RIT might be your best bet.

But

I was thinking of working on a guide to art schools/GAD stuff/3D/etc for people on SWF....since we have a few people in game design/animation/modeling/art schools or jobs at the moment

I'll call in the COUNCIL OF ORANGE!
(no srsly im just waiting for responses and im just gonna bug the heck outta people cuz dey wub me and i wub dem. Councillllllll <3
Also finals week is probably going to impede this)

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Congrats Bren! Getting an early start with something like that has to be nothing short of amazing for starting a career

Meanwhile I'm living at my mom's and locked myself in my room to train (DBZ style), just hoping that I can paint for a living someday =/

Geist

Smash Master
I know plenty of studios in Vancouver would kill to hire you Honda
Ironically people who can paint and draw are something of a commodity in the 3d industry

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just found out there is a high school near Redmond that let's it's students take free classes at Digipen.

I think it's time to enroll in high school again.

Geist

Smash Master
Merry Christmas guys :3

I just found out there is a high school near Redmond that let's it's students take free classes at Digipen.

I think it's time to enroll in high school again.
Lots of art schools have programs for trial classes you can sign up for. Not all of them are completely free
unless you mean this high school allows you to take classes for credits.
I'd look into that

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm a little too old to go to high school again.

A family member works either for the school, or another school and is just familiar with the program and was talking about it.

I think it's like how my high school allowed to take college classes (for free) for credits if your grades were high enough, except the college we could go to wasn't very good.

Edit: After I finish working on the project I am working on, which is huge and will take an unknown amount of time...I've decided to work on a project where the character I created actually became quite popular

This is a REALLY old picture of my character, Mel, who gained a bit of popularity with a group of peer artists on Deviantart in 2007. His world is just as bizarre as the project I'm working on now, but has a bit more dark of humor in comparison.

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
A catgirl I started using my new tablet and GIMP to celebrate the New Year.

It could use a little work, I need to clean it up a little and adjust the hair on the left, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. This tablet is awesome.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My dream is to one day turn my "Lightning Man" story into a animated musical

I'm currently watching "I got a Dream" from Tangled which is one of my favorite animated musical numbers

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's with the teasing!?! Interest has been peaked.

Top Bottom