• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
First day in 3D class.

All we've learned is making the basic shapes.

I decided to make a ray gun, lol

Edit: I've been doing little experiments with editing meshes. They aren't turning out so great though...I could do better, I'm just doing lots of experimentation

Geist

Smash Master
it`s kind of mindblowing to think that less than 20 years ago that would have done just fine in a cg show like reboot

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Rewatched advent children

Squeenix you make pretty stuff
And Dat hair (especially the remnants hair holy crap Kadaj and Yazoo)
Wondering if they used planar modeling for the hair like they do in their games :o

:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
SquareEnix >:[
I overheard that they're keeping their new game engine in-house exclusive, no exceptions. After they finished with a multi-thousand dollar project to show it off. Before they're even done releasing at least 4 games that have been past deadline for years now.
I can't wait until they go out of business. The talent behind that studio deserves to be under at least partially competent management instead of being the laughing stock of the video game industry.

And yeah cg films use either geo-based cloth or simulations based on follicle curves. It's not exactly rendering every single strand, since the majority of the strands are procedurally generated. There's no reason to use poly planes for animation hair when you're not concerned about realtime rendering.

Also, I finished a quick painting for one of the indy game gpw's at my school. I'm going to be involved in concept design, art direction and illustration. They want to go attempt steam greenlight so it's a good project to get involved in :3

The game is like a fast paced Unreal Tournament sort of shooter, only based in a pseudo golden-age sci fi. They were going originally for a really stereotypical industrial sci-fi like your typical bulky space marines and poorly lit corridors, but started leaning more and more towards this style and the idea really caught my attention. I don't think I can name a game that has the old school retro science fiction look.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
That's awesome. I'm getting a sci-fi version of Sky Sanctuary vibe from it; it's definitely more interesting visually than an industrial sci-fi theme.
How long did it take you to finish that piece?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The school is cutting a lot of funding from my degree next quarter. I might have to switch schools, and it's only the second quarter.

Also, flash class is being merged with a different degree, so it's not something I'd be able to do next quarter on.

3D is being cancelled next quarter as well

Geist

Smash Master
That's awesome. I'm getting a sci-fi version of Sky Sanctuary vibe from it; it's definitely more interesting visually than an industrial sci-fi theme.
How long did it take you to finish that piece?
It was about a 3 hour job.

The school is cutting a lot of funding from my degree next quarter. I might have to switch schools, and it's only the second quarter.

Also, flash class is being merged with a different degree, so it's not something I'd be able to do next quarter on.

3D is being cancelled next quarter as well
yeah my official suggestion is to get out of there

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
The secret is to never give up and trust your instincts

Oh and find a comfort drink to keep you company for those long drawing sessions! I'm a Stella Artois snob meself

Geist

Smash Master
Excellent work, Geist!
Thanks man
didn't you say you were going to post something earlier? :0
The secret is to never give up and trust your instincts

Oh and find a comfort drink to keep you company for those long drawing sessions! I'm a Stella Artois snob meself
Arizona tea and sushi.
-grabby hands- I will steal your skillllssssss
I don't know what grabby hands means but I feel violated
I hope you enjoy the idea of me visualizing you fervently rubbing and groping my chest
I hope it makes you feel violated too
winky face

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
:C

I don't even

In other news

Neo, Naka, WEMP, and I are all playin project M right now
Candid pics to come for skype chat when I get Internet at the house

I'm gonna see how many pics I can take without them noticing in the next few days

Moar edit: I already got a priceless picture of WEMP

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Das ok we cool
Sorry fer grabby hands

As sooooon as I get Internet I will send em via Skype x3 my poor data limit on my phone omg ;____;

I didn't like her at first
I'm against change

But now I agree with you
She was meant for melee

Geist

Smash Master
she's like the aspect of captain falcon that requires you to chase someone down like a mother****er and hold on until they cry
but taken to the next logical extreme
she's like the stalker ex-girlfriend of smash

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh
Best description of her

She was always like that in brawl
They just made that part of her better and omg thank you project melee team
Minus nerfing side tether
That got to me too much roflllll

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I can't believe they made the fsmash own zone a real thing
The zero shirts only thought it was a work of fiction and blingee glitter text....

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I have a confusing (for me at least DX) 3D question.
I know I can bring over sculpts from Sculptris to Blender. Can I unwrap the model in Blender, take it to Photoshop to texture it, bring it back onto my Blender model, then add an armature to rig the model in Blender?

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
hfkdjhfkdsahfkdsahfl

Learning how to draw and paint is hard, what am I even doing

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Man so I just realized that I definitely naturally see in value and not in lines...or rather, when sketching I get my ideas down much better as broad strokes and shapes that gradually get chiseled and defined, instead of doing structure in outlines and contours

I just kinda snapped a few minutes ago and went nuts with the huge brush and it basically all magically started coming together despite me obviously being on tilt—this after 2 days of trying it the old-fashioned academic way and doing a bunch of neat little structure outlines that had absolutely no soul

Two in my past three paintings will have been jumpstarted by some kind of rage-painting sketch...I don't know if this is my true inner self coming out or what but I'm going to just embrace it and see where it takes me

Geist

Smash Master
draw kawaii original character do not steal
lmao that's one of the inside jokes my friends and I use to bug people at school
blonic the hedgehog original character do not steal ™

Man so I just realized that I definitely naturally see in value and not in lines...or rather, when sketching I get my ideas down much better as broad strokes and shapes that gradually get chiseled and defined, instead of doing structure in outlines and contours

I just kinda snapped a few minutes ago and went nuts with the huge brush and it basically all magically started coming together despite me obviously being on tilt—this after 2 days of trying it the old-fashioned academic way and doing a bunch of neat little structure outlines that had absolutely no soul

Two in my past three paintings will have been jumpstarted by some kind of rage-painting sketch...I don't know if this is my true inner self coming out or what but I'm going to just embrace it and see where it takes me
rage painting brought to you by hondaaa
actually I've started completely bypassing linework more and more, usually only using it now for very rough gestures and guidelines or perpective lines and stuff.
Starting off thumbnailing in values is really great for lighting, color, and composition right off the bat. Structure and accuracy usually take a hit, but with practice I imagine you can make that a moot point.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Yeah, I mean I've been trying to really study up on anatomy lately which is why I was doing the linework approach thing, but I think even when starting with values—thumbnailing is a perfect way to put it—I can see some of that knowledge still sticking

It's strange...I've always enjoyed doing figures and anatomy from life but borderline hate doing it from photo reference on the computer, yet I couldn't quite figure out why. However, now I believe it has something to do with empathy for the model—like being able to 'feel' the volume and curvature with your strokes—and when using this more compulsive method it seems to bring out that same sensation for me. I feel like a sculptor and it's easier to imagine forms as they exist in space this way

I know some people who are the exact opposite—they think more in terms line and how that design relates to a flat canvas. I guess if I were Pixar, they would be old-school Disney

Interesting concepts to think about to say the least

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah, you should always be drawing with the feeling of volume, or like you're sculpting out lines.

Life drawing is a good exercise in general because of that third dimension. It's much better to study from life than a flat photo, and I think most people would agree. Translating it into lines on a flat canvas is important, but if your fundamentals don't lie in some sort of third dimension, your drawing will look flat, regardless of your thought processes.
If you don't like studying anatomy from a 2d picture, try drawing a photo from a different perspective or point of view. I found it really effective for face studies.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm in 3 animation classes this quarter. So far they are very fun and interesting.

The basics are easy to follow since I'm use to programs that use similar things, but the teacher was talking about complex the program can really be.

I'm just dreading next quarter when I'm done with these kinds of classes. The later classes in the degree don't have much to do with this kind of stuff. And like I said, I should probably leave this school...look for one that has the classes I need/ want

Geist

Smash Master
What programs are you using there PI
also 2d animation, right? If it's what you want to do, then you'll probably find it'll be worth it to find a new place. There's got to be at least a few places near you that have a solid animation course, animators are everywhere.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Top Bottom