• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You got some really nice stuff

I really don't think that is to inappropriate, since it doesn't show anything graphic. But that's just my opinion. Maybe a mod has a different opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually draw a lot of characters in the nude, because I want to see how their body structures work and move independent of clothing I might add.

I sometimes trace over it and draw the clothing

I'm not too good with females though, and
I always feel like someone is going to think I'm some kind of pervert drawing them nude

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Let em think
I work on life drawings of women (because it'd my strong suit) a lot in front of non artist friends an you jus gotta shrug it off xD

:phone:

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Yo I wanna see some boobiessss

I used to draw clothes on top of nude bodies but now I don't even draw the clothes

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm really looking forward to getting back into art next quarter, especially 3D animation next quarter. I was really excited about it the first time I went to college, before I had to drop out for really stupid reasons, and FINALLY am doing stuff I wanted to.

Back then I was always super excited about the simplest things. Like when I figured out how to make animated GIFs for the first time and made little things of all my characters. I was hoping to put them into Flash and make a little short...but never did.

I had a lot of plans back then, but it all got stopped. Nothings going to stop me now though.

(Only 2 days until the next quarter)

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
For Lokii regarding my unsolicited paint-over:

First I just cleaned up the anatomy a little bit—shortened the arms (I have problems with that in my own work), made the hands smaller, and chiseled the thighs a bit. About legs: they have a very distinct silhouette when standing straight, almost like an S that runs along the inner thigh, crosses the kneecap, and then flares out to the outer edge of the calf muscle. You'll probably have to look up an anatomy tutorial for the specifics (like this one by Kienan Lafferty aka Knockwurst aka the Riot artist that drew Diana and Ahri etc!), but once you get that general shape down it makes a huuuge difference, even without knowing the specifics

Next I adjusted the shading—always remember that highlights are brighter the closer they are to the light source. A bright highlight on a leg should still be darker than a highlight on the chest, for example. This took me foreverrr to realize. What I did on your drawing was make the chest area lighter (because it protrudes and is closer to the light source) while making the overall value range of the body get darker as it goes down. The biggest difference you'll notice is the gradient on the stomach—remember that people's torsos start curving inward at the navel, and then even further under the belt line (especially on girls!), so putting a gradient there is usually a safe choice

I've also adjusted all the pure black values to be used more selectively. I've found that if you use too much black on a form, it makes it look burnt at best and oddly flat at worst, which is the opposite of what we usually intend when we go deep with the dark value. Becoming comfortable with mid-tones is the way to go when you want to improve your shading skill. Pure black can be used stylistically at times, of course

Another thing people usually have trouble with is cast shadows—treat them differently from 'normal' shading! I tend to emphasize strong, crisp edges wherever I have cast shadows, just to distinguish them from all the shading used to determine form. Having blurry cast shadows can make a drawing look muddy, while using them well does wonders for making figures pop. In your drawing I sharpened the shadows under the breasts and added one on the neck. Sometimes you gotta be ballsy and just add them cast shadows man

Finally I just added a little bit of color because pure black and white is boring! Add a little rim lighting/secondary light to further pop out the form and voila, naked chick drawing activated

I hope that helps a little bit...also take everything I say with a grain of salt because I'm actually pretty bad at anatomy hahah

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Anytime! I hit a block on my current piece, so it was refreshing to move my hands in a way not related to slaving over a finished painting, hah

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Lol, why?

EDIT: I guess to add some backstory to the picture, I was imagining a post apocalyptic world setting and a robot (whom looks very similar to another one, hehe) and a cat are living in a cellar and the robot is infatuated with this cat.

I dunno. XD

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does anyone know anything about Adobe creative cloud?

I think what it is is monthly payments to have access to adobe products so you don't have to buy it. Because buying it is REALLY expensive.

I just want to make sure before I actually do it. I'm, off course, getting the student edition which is much cheaper at $30 a month compared to the usual $50.

<li class="sidebar_item intro">Creative Cloud Membership

Your membership will give you access to everything you see below.
<li class="sidebar_item app-icons">Creative Tools

Edge Tools & Services

Other Services

And...Up to 20gb of Cloud File StorageApplication updatesWebsite hosting and creationFile conversion and sharing<li class="sidebar_item app-icons">Available Touch Apps

Creative Cloud also integrates with these touch apps, which are available for purchase separately.

<li class="sidebar_item app-icons">

I'll think about joining it when I get home

Geist

Smash Master
if you have the money it's probably a good idea.
I know I'm not allowed to condone piracy in any form on the forums so I won't. I'm not able to say that as long as you're using the programs for learning purposes and you're not making a profit off of what you make on the programs, then it shouldn't be a problem where you get it from, so I won't say that either.

It is true that adobe makes the massive majority of their money from mass licencing to schools and studios, but that in no way is suggesting you pirate adobe stuff.

Creative cloud actually does sound very convenient to use though, and that's number 2 reason people pirate in the first place, next to the obvious barrier of money.

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
Hey, you know what isn't awesome? Realizing that your lineart layer on Gimp should have been set to transparent. Whelll, too late now, Oneup, you loser, you're stuck with it.

Alas, it isn't actually a huge deal, heh heh.

Geist

Smash Master
Hey, you know what isn't awesome? Realizing that your lineart layer on Gimp should have been set to transparent. Whelll, too late now, Oneup, you loser, your stuck with it.

Alas, it isn't actually a huge deal, heh heh.

Do you mean you were drawing lines on a white bg? tisk tisk.
Thankfully you can fix that somewhere in the menu. I haven't touched Gimp in a while but I do remember you should be looking for "Convert white to alpha"
It'll fix that mistake up real nice.
If all else fails just put the line art layer on multiply

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
^Okay, thanks. Luckily, I didn't have much planned for the drawing, I was just wanting to work on it to get some practice in with my tablet.

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman

Well, I fixed a bit of stuff, though the bottom of the face/chin still bugs me a little. I'm still experimenting with this before I go into trying to do full-on colored stuff, though, and I think I'm doing pretty well for someone just getting into focusing on Gimp for art.

I tried to add a small bit of shading with elements of cross-hatching to parts of the hair- parts of this may or may not have been lost due to a few last-minute changes; extra layers were unnecessarily thickening the chin, which led to looking like this girl had an Abraham Lincoln-esque beard. That would simply not do, for this is no obscure Deviantart group that I hope to never come upon. And so, the layers were removed.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Does anyone know anything about Adobe creative cloud?

I think what it is is monthly payments to have access to adobe products so you don't have to buy it. Because buying it is REALLY expensive.

I just want to make sure before I actually do it. I'm, off course, getting the student edition which is much cheaper at $30 a month compared to the usual $50.

<li class="sidebar_item intro">Creative Cloud Membership

Your membership will give you access to everything you see below.
<li class="sidebar_item app-icons">Creative Tools

Edge Tools & Services

Other Services

And...Up to 20gb of Cloud File StorageApplication updatesWebsite hosting and creationFile conversion and sharing<li class="sidebar_item app-icons">Available Touch Apps

Creative Cloud also integrates with these touch apps, which are available for purchase separately.

<li class="sidebar_item app-icons">

I'll think about joining it when I get home
Considering how much you'll be using those programs, $30 a month is a steal. I say go for it

Geist

Smash Master
Well, I fixed a bit of stuff, though the bottom of the face/chin still bugs me a little. I'm still experimenting with this before I go into trying to do full-on colored stuff, though, and I think I'm doing pretty well for someone just getting into focusing on Gimp for art.
remember to keep flipping your horizontal axis. When you mirror your drawings, mistakes jump out at you like the plague and you'll be able to fix them by going back and forth

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
You can also flip the canvas over and over to make your character dance

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I decided to get the whole Cloud creative thing. It's going to cost $360+ a year, but it gives me access to ALL adobe products.

This quarter for school all I need is flash and after effects, but I will also probably use photoshop and illustrator a lot. (The main why buying adobe suite would be expensive, since the basic one doesn't come with those programs...)

I heard that flash has changed some since it was purchased by adobe. Last time I took flash in school it was owned by someone else and didn't have the ability to import files from illustrator without problems. I hope that has changed.

I wonder what I'm going to do for my 3D class though...

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Flash has definitely improved since the Macromedia days—since it's from Adobe now, there are some nice cross-program things it can utilize. The interface is also much better than before. The only thing I don't like is how it defaults to Actionscript 3...since I'm old school I always change it back to AS 2.0

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I decided to get the whole Cloud creative thing. It's going to cost $360+ a year, but it gives me access to ALL adobe products.

This quarter for school all I need is flash and after effects, but I will also probably use photoshop and illustrator a lot. (The main why buying adobe suite would be expensive, since the basic one doesn't come with those programs...)

I heard that flash has changed some since it was purchased by adobe. Last time I took flash in school it was owned by someone else and didn't have the ability to import files from illustrator without problems. I hope that has changed.

I wonder what I'm going to do for my 3D class though...
Flash is pretty good now lol, although I've not really used it for much. I just tested it out; you can import Illustrator files and even layered Illustrator files into Flash, and can even import paths individually, which is nice. After Effects works better with Photoshop though in my experience lol.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never used after effects before this quarter. I'm much more used to flash.

I guess it depends on what your doing.

We are going to learn how to make a very basic game in flash class, which sounds kinda cool.

Geist

Smash Master
I remember the game I made back when I was learning flash.
Cavecopter
it was about a helicopter in a cave and it had the best explosions featured in any game ever.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
After Effects is either a love it or hate it program in my opinion.
It's more similar to Photoshop/Illustrator than Flash is, as in you have similar tools and filters etc., but it has the brilliant feature of compositions; you can basically split your animation into the key parts, i.e have a comp where you animate a character walk cycle, then a composition with the background, then layer them on top of each other.
It's more used for motion graphics than character animation however, but you can build and rig a character apparently.

Geist

Smash Master
Key framing techniques are something I wish they had when I was doing animation stuff in high school :/
Speaking of which, if anyone saw wreck-it ralph, there's a mindblowing behind the scenes on the short film paperman that came on before the movie. They wrote their own proprietary software that generates the in-between frames of their 2d animation, calculated from their primary 3d animation. It's literally a true 2d-3d hybrid.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Key framing techniques are something I wish they had when I was doing animation stuff in high school :/
Speaking of which, if anyone saw wreck-it ralph, there's a mindblowing behind the scenes on the short film paperman that came on before the movie. They wrote their own proprietary software that generates the in-between frames of their 2d animation, calculated from their primary 3d animation. It's literally a true 2d-3d hybrid.

Yeah, keyframes are a godsend for me. I'm still pretty damn messy with them though lol.
The Paperman behind the scenes sounds interesting; I've not seen that or Wreck-It Ralph yet, but I've seen pictures of Paperman.

Geist

Smash Master
That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it too.
There needs to be a full length feature done with that technique like yesterday.

Top Bottom