• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mechanics & Techniques Discussion

Was your discovery something new or real?

• Total voters

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
1. Does power shielding a multi hit move become negated if you don't take advantage of it before being hit by another move?
I was told yes the other day... Before the patch I think.

And a curious observation of mine. I was testing Pit with a friend on day one of the patch and found that with max freshness and very slight charge you couldn't roll out of Pit's Fsmash if the first hit made contact with a shield. Yesterday in training I was using frame advance to see how much charge it would take to make it link without freshness and found that you could always roll out of it safely even at max charge.

So does anybody know what's going on? Either it's human error (wouldn't be surprised), freshness has a hitstun bonus larger then the increased damage of charging can give, it's harder/impossible to buffer a roll in shieldstun (Or was it always like this?), or training is messing something else up.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
LancerStaff LancerStaff it seems like human error to me, I accidentally triggered the Diddy glitch against a max charge fsmash (I read your/someone else's earlier post and was like "oh I'm stuck in shield now"). I shield grabbed though and that's how I got hit, I'm not sure if there was time to drop shield between the hits (probably?).

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Just use hit frames and calculated shield stun to see if something combos on shield or what you can or cannot do between hits.

busken

Smash Ace
Can somebody explain all of the options you have during the intial dash in Smash 4?
When I say intial dash I mean while foxtrotting. You can basically go into this option immediately out of the fox trot.

Stutter Step F-smash
Very beginning of dash animation

Jump
Dash grab/boost grab
dash attack
side special
turnaround f-tilt and f-smash(only during dash back)
Roll

Any other option not listed would give a slight delay such as shield, perfect pivot, etc

thoughts?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Can somebody explain all of the options you have during the intial dash in Smash 4?
When I say intial dash I mean while foxtrotting. You can basically go into this option immediately out of the fox trot.

Stutter Step F-smash
Very beginning of dash animation

Jump
Dash grab/boost grab
dash attack
side special
turnaround f-tilt and f-smash(only during dash back)
Roll

Any other option not listed would give a slight delay such as shield, perfect pivot, etc

thoughts?
Jump implies jump-cancelled up-smash and up-b.

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
Is Dash Dancing truly useless in Smash 4? I feel like its completely character dependent.

Characters like:

:4mario::4falcon::4megaman::4fox::4drmario::4shulk:

Thoughts?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I suppose this is a good place to put this:

Just had two Donkey Kongs hit a shield with F-Smash at the same time (20% each) and it broke in the same manner. Doing the same with two Captain Falcons (two 19% F-Smashes at once) left it with a bit of shield.

Aerial Reverse Warlock Punch also breaks shields if you block a few frames after putting your shield up, and that does 40% with no extra shield damage.

Looks like shields effectively have 40 HP (40-point-something, actually; if you shield a 40% move, on, like Frame 4 it will barely be intact. Shields also do not take damage over time while in hitlag freeze or shieldstun.

Full shields break in approximately 6.5 seconds from natural deterioration over time, so that means shields take a little more than 6 damage every 60 frames (6.154 damage per second if I'm doing this right).

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Shields having lower health makes a lot of sense looking at the moves that had a decent amount of bonus shield damage, excluding moves like Ganon UTilt, Ike's charged Eruption, etc.

How has shield deterioration been affected? Or is it the same as last patch? Couldn't people just test on an old patch by holding shield and see how long it takes to break in order for confirmation?

Last edited:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
How has shield deterioration been affected? Or is it the same as last patch? Couldn't people just test on an old patch by holding shield and see how long it takes to break in order for confirmation?
Just did this and it looks the same to me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm not saying it was necessarily different in previous patches. This is just testing with the current stuff.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I know that aerial Dark Pit Fspecials do 9.5% + 10 shield damage, and before and after the patch it wouldn't break a shield.

Two grounded Pit Fspecials (11% + 10 shield damage) would break a shield pre-patch, so if they're weaker it's not by much. Kinda fudged the numbers pre patch though... Didn't leave the shield out the entire time between the two hits. I actually kept putting it up and dropping it in attempt to keep it where it was. Combined with what we know it's somewhere between 41 and 42 HP.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
That would make sense since I'm certain Shield Breaker is weaker.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Were we just wrong about shields all along then?
Yes.

Bowser Bomb fall + landing hit was never able to one shot a shield before and it still can't one shot a shield now.

MAYBE they touched regen, but it seems the same as prepatch to me.

That would make sense since I'm certain Shield Breaker is weaker.
They nerfed the shield damage on shieldbreaker by 5.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You must be doing it in versus mode which has a 1.05x multiplier, making it 42%.

Bowser fall + landing hit of Down B doesn't quite break shields in training mode and it has 20% (+5) + 11% (+5) = 41.
I was most certainly doing it in Training Mode. Try it for yourself, or with Giga Mac U-Smash (which also does 40%).

Maybe it's 41-point-something. Either way, it's not 50.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That may be the case. DK's Forward-B did 10% damage and 30 shield damage before the most recent patch, and if shield health is the same in all patches, that should just break basically all shields if it's not the case.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer I know. What I'm saying is you claiming nothing changed could make sense because the Shield Breaker nerf makes it seem to break shields less.

TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder Definitely not 41.something because I was able to block something that did nearly 44% damage to a shield.

@JaimetheAuraUser No because most of us are using training mode and that wouldn't make sense. I'm sure it just changes normal damage like it always did.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What if bonus shield damage is affected by freshness bonus/stale moves? Would that explain anything?
It isn't. I can confirm this from testing a while ago.

I don't like the idea of using equipment to determine this. There may be hidden variables.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Okay from now on this discussion will be in the 1.1.1 Shield thread.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
This has nothing to do with 1.1.1's shields.

1.1.1's shields are exactly the same as 1.0.0, aside from shieldstun/hitlag/lock changes.

This thread is called the "mechanics" thread because it has to do with game mechanics.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
This has nothing to do with 1.1.1's shields.

1.1.1's shields are exactly the same as 1.0.0, aside from shieldstun/hitlag/lock changes.

This thread is called the "mechanics" thread because it has to do with game mechanics.
Can you prove that shield HP wasn't changed in the new patch?

Thinkaman Thinkaman @Dantarion Is this stuff accessible?

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I tested shields with DK's punch at various charges in training mode (does 10 + 2 per charge and 0 bonus shield damage) and came to the conclusion that any combination dealing >= 42 damage (including shield damage) broke shields instantly. DK's Fsmash does 1 bonus damage to shields, so double Fsmash breaking shields supports this. My guess is either shields take damage above a 1:1 ratio, or maybe they take extra damage per hit. The shield damage ratio or bonus damage per hit might even be tied to the element of the attack. I doubt that is the case, but things like electric attacks having extra hitlag make it a possibility.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Looks like it's maybe possible to tech everything?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Looks iffy, like the ground-to.air transition probably has something to do here, an the Fsmash looked like it bounced in the wall once before teching. Then there's the Uair clip that I don't know if I can remain skeptical to.
:196:

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
There are actually many times during fights when I have had this feeling, when you get the tech but my character had already finished his "recoil". I'm very interested to know the frame window on which you can tech hits that frame sync.

Basty

Smash Ace
OK, I'm hoping this could be a new finding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddCCkvGGqdQ

Introducing the (whatever i call it) if it's new!

I first use it in the video during 0:04 and i use it to combo a dash attack into a knee.

I discovered (?) this while trying to practice perfect pivoting, the inputs are a lot like perfect pivoting. You do one direction (:GCL:,:GCR:) and immediately slam the control stick in the other direction (:GCL:,:GCR:)

It can help delay a dash attack with slower characters (my guess is that the frames of you moving are still going, so it doesn't use it immediately) and it can make for some cool mind games

Thank god i found this thread because i was about to just randomly post it as it's own thread.

If it's new, let me know so i can post my own thread about it

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's just dashdancing with only two inputs instead of more. It is common knowledge that you can change the distance of a dash after dashing in the opposite direction immediately beforehand.

Also, Dash Attack -> Falcon F-Air is not a combo.

Last edited:

Basty

Smash Ace
That's just dashdancing with only two inputs instead of more. It is common knowledge that you can change the distance of a dash after dashing in the opposite direction immediately beforehand.

Also, Dash Attack -> Falcon F-Air is not a combo.
ahh ok

yeah i get that it isnt a combo, should of said just a string i guess? i play melee more so i'm not all to familiar with what sm4sh players use

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I mean, if it's a string it's a string. If it's a combo it's a combo. That terminology doesn't change between games.

It's whatever, though! We want people to step up with whatever info they have. Not trying to be smarmy or anything. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom