• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
These reviewers torturing me with all these new videos. It's going to be a long month.

Is it possible it's actually like Mario Kart 7 and one of them just happens to be a cruiser and the other is a heavy weight, but the main site just happens to label them both as "heavy"?

On another note, went looking through Mario Kart 7's site and it lists Metal Mario as Mario's rival. Makes it sound like they're two different people :o
They are different people.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
Someone has confirmed that characters from the same weight class won't always share the exact same stats. While Koopa Troopa and Toadette appear to have the exact same stats, that's not the case between Wario and Roy Koopa.

Of course, the stat totals between those four are exactly the same, regardless of the stat distributions.
that's interesting and a little disappointing for the hope that there are more characters on-disc to unlock however my only query is How do we know the same wheels have been selected??

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Mario and Metal Mario act different from each other. Metal seems like a pretty big jerk at times.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Three questions, guys.

1. What is your favorite Nitro course?
2. What is your favorite Retro course?
3. What is your favorite kart/bike/ATV?

For me, it's:
1. Either Bowser's Castle or Mount Wario.
2. Piranha Plant Slide or Yoshi Valley.
3. Probably the Airship kart.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
that's interesting and a little disappointing for the hope that there are more characters on-disc to unlock however my only query is How do we know the same wheels have been selected??
Based on the stats, Wario and Roy are using the exact same combo, but Roy's offers better acceleration, handling, and grip, while Wario's offers better speed and weight.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Mario and Metal Mario act different from each other. Metal seems like a pretty big jerk at times.
Do they? From all I've seen Metal just says stuff backwards. I've only seen him in Smash and MK7 and 8 though.

Three questions, guys.

1) Oh man so many I'm looking forward too. I guess I want to play on Shy Guy Falls and Sunshine Airport the most right now.
2) Rainbow Road
3) Probably the Badwagon. Them speakers man.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Three questions, guys.

1. Too many to choose from, they all look beautiful. Bowser's Castle, Sunshine Airport, Mount Wario, Thwomp Ruins and Shy Guy Falls get honourable mentions though.
2. SNES Doughnut Plains 3 and N64 Royal Raceway.
3. The Circuit Special and Badwagon are pretty slick looking. The Yoshi and Wiggler Bikes look nice as well, but I haven't seen much of the ATVs.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Their mannerisms are quite different. For example, Metal fist pumps like he's showing off when he wins in 7. He also says different things than Mario, such as a mocking "See ya!" as opposed to Mario's "bye bye!". You kind of have to pay attention, but the two are different.

And if you play as Mario, Metal's always your rival. :p

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Without a doubt, Cloudtop Cruise is definitely already my favorite and most anticipated track in this game. Bowser's Castle and Dolphin Shoals are a couple of others in particular, although it should be known that I'm more-or-less excited to play all of the new and retro courses alike. I might also add that I am very much enjoying and am impressed by the soundtrack of this game (specifically, the new original songs). As someone who listens to a variety of Jazz on a regular (Jazz-Hop, Nu-Jazz, Smooth Jazz, etc.), from the little I've heard (Dolphin Shoals, for example), I've already come to appreciate the direction that of which this game's OST is taking.

If DLC does in fact come our way in the near-future post release, I do hope that Maple Treeway will become an additional select retro course to be revisioned. It being my favorite course for one, but just for the beauty I can imagine it would bring, what with the graphic fidelity this game has presented.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Their mannerisms are quite different. For example, Metal fist pumps like he's showing off when he wins in 7. He also says different things than Mario, such as a mocking "See ya!" as opposed to Mario's "bye bye!". You kind of have to pay attention, but the two are different.

And if you play as Mario, Metal's always your rival. :p
Unless you're like me where you can't unlock characters.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Three questions, guys.

1. Bowser's Castle looked insane and I am extremely excited to play on that track; but to try to branch away from a typical mario kart track (since all games have bowser castle and rainbow road), I will have to say Shy Guy Falls. It looks like a very fun track, and I am positive it is going to be a crowd favorite.

2. Wii Grumble Volcano! I loved that track on MKW, and I am very happy to see it return. It looks very nicely improved as well.

3. Pipe Frame :V

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Three questions, guys.

For me, it's:
1. Either Bowser's Castle or Mount Wario.
2. Piranha Plant Slide or Yoshi Valley.
3. Probably the Airship kart.
1. Twisted Mansion
2. Yoshi's Valley
3. Pipeframe.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
I just realized that Ludwig looks like Chucky from Child's Play.

Gavitro

Smash Cadet
1. Bowser's Castle looked insane and I am extremely excited to play on that track; but to try to branch away from a typical mario kart track (since all games have bowser castle and rainbow road), I will have to say Shy Guy Falls. It looks like a very fun track, and I am positive it is going to be a crowd favorite.

2. Wii Grumble Volcano! I loved that track on MKW, and I am very happy to see it return. It looks very nicely improved as well.

3. Pipe Frame :V
I love the Pipe Frame, mainly due to it's varied colors and the fact that it was the original Kart. Sad that it differences your stats.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I always used the Pipe Frame for old school racing. It's always fun beating all the Metal Marios in the B Dashers and Red Monster tires with old school power. :p

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The full character stat list has been made. Stat values are out of 6 for the following.

I'm so happy to see this. No more Funky Bike Wii! :)
Funny how the Metals have their own category. It was probably done to address Metal Mario's smaller hit-box in MK7 that gave him a bit of an advantage over other heavy characters; very well thought out, indeed. At least this way, if you want to enjoy having a smaller hit-box, you give up a bit of speed that Bowser, Wario and Morton have.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I just remembered, the Pipe Frame has a new look. It's now a hybrid between Super Mario Kart and 64.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Thats not Cruiser weight, DK/Roy/Waluigi/Rosy are Cruiser, thats just the heavier mid weight (they split Mid weight into two with Yoshi/Peach/Daisy in the lighter Mid and Mario/Luigi/Ludwig/Iggy in the heavier Mid).

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thats not Cruiser weight, DK/Roy/Waluigi/Rosy are Cruiser, thats just the heavier mid weight (they split Mid weight into two with Yoshi/Peach/Daisy in the lighter Mid and Mario/Luigi/Ludwig/Iggy in the heavier Mid).
What if the weight classes were treated as the following...

Feather
Super Light
Light
Medium
Cruiser
Heavy
Super Heavy

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
According to the Super Mario Wiki, they are:

Feather
Light
Medium
Cruiser
Heavy
Metal
Super Heavy

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
Yea I'd guess this does make the groupings seem a bit more balanced but I'm still really confused at the light class(es) being so predominant :S

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I have this feeling that one of these "tiers" will still dominate the game with some combination or two. But who knows, since the mechanics have also been changed, such as items and the fortrunning tactics.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
So does it seem very well balanced to everybody?
(I'm not good at determining balance in Mario Kart)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
According to the Super Mario Wiki, they are:

Feather
Light
Medium
Cruiser
Heavy
Metal
Super Heavy
It seems a bit off though, since in Mario Kart 7, Mario and Luigi were treated as Medium class characters. Also, it should be noted that the weight class names can always be changed at will there, so the weight class names that you've inputted may easily be modified to make more sense.

So does it seem very well balanced to everybody?
(I'm not good at determining balance in Mario Kart)
So far, it seems that the character stats are well-balanced, though much like with Mario Kart 7, one can't negate the stats that we can't see.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Which is your favorite Koopaling?

Mine is Lemmy (he's also my favorite Mario character as a whole).

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Have to say, I'm disappointed with the roster. Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach are completely unnecessary. Baby Rosalina's character completely conflicts with Rosalina's backstory, and Pink Gold Peach is yet another obvious filler character.

In other Mario Kart news, I am looking forward to Mario Kart Arcade GP 3 coming to the UK. The roster of that game could do with being a little bigger, but whatever.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Have to say, I'm disappointed with the roster. Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach are completely unnecessary. Baby Rosalina's character completely conflicts with Rosalina's backstory, and Pink Gold Peach is yet another obvious filler character.
Spin-offs are not canon. Likewise, the events of Rosalina's Storybook took place after her toddler years.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Okay, am I the only one who likes the new Rainbow Road? Everywhere I go, I only see people hating on it.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I'm pumped for the new Rainbow Road. Seeing it capped at 30FPS in videos won't do any justice.

R0Y

Smash Master
Far more interested in Rainbow Road N64 myself but I think the new Rainbow Road looks fantastic as well.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
One neat thing I noticed (but was probably obvious) is that in this video at about 0:33, he charged up a drift, but then hit an obstacle and spinboosted, and he lost the charged up drift. I'm presuming this also happens when you hit a player, so you could potentially mess up people charging a drift in anti gravity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9AD8_O7z4

Top Bottom