• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Mario Kart is easily my favorite Nintendo franchise and I've been a fan since the first game on the SNES. I didn't get it at launch but it was one of the first games I got for my SNES in 1995.

I discovered Super Mario Kart quite by accident. I'd read how great it was in the gaming magazines but never really felt compelled to hunt down a copy. Then while at a friends house I was shown the, at the time, visually stunning Rainbow Road track and I had to have a copy of the cartridge. Ironically the game was so popular that I literally couldn't find it either new or used at any of my local retailers. Back then the Internet wasn't what it is today so I had very few resources available to me to secure a copy. What I ended up doing was calling Nintendo's 800 number and buying a refurbished copy directly from them. Even at that the game was still kinda pricey but I wasn't complaining because I finally had it.

I played the single-player nonstop and marveled at the games technical and creative genius. It was unlike any other video game I'd played before and spoke to my inner child as well as the competitive gamer that lurked deep inside me. My friends and I even started including it in our Street Fighter II Turbo and Mortal Kombat II rotation with Mario Kart usually getting more play time than the other two combined.

By this time I had become a hardcore Nintendo addict and when news of the N64 was released I immediately started saving my money for a prepayment. Of course, the game that I was most looking forward to playing on the new machine was none other than Super Mario Kart R.

Gavitro

Smash Cadet
Hold on
Super Mario Wiki says that this is the starting roster:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Yoshi
Toad
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Wario
Waluigi

Kind of odd the babies are starting characters.
Hm, let me think.

If there are 14 unlockables so far, and you can apparently unlock new characters by completing cups on either 100cc or 150cc...

There could be two more unannounced characters. There are 16 cups in total adding both 100cc and 150cc versions, but only 14 unlockable characters. Surely, there must be two more characters to have one character for each cup, unless the Mii is unlocked in a different fashion again.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Baby Mario and Baby Peach were starters back in Wii. Kind of wish Baby Peach was unlockable, so I could take my time and unlock her last. I really don't like her. :glare:

kylexv

Smash Master
Hold on

Hm, let me think.

If there are 14 unlockables so far, and you can apparently unlock new characters by completing cups on either 100cc or 150cc...

There could be two more unannounced characters. There are 16 cups in total adding both 100cc and 150cc versions, but only 14 unlockable characters. Surely, there must be two more characters to have one character for each cup, unless the Mii is unlocked in a different fashion again.
Likely not.
Notice how he has one star on each cup (Suggesting he got gold on all of them), but there are only the 30 confirmed characters.

Also some spoilers. To avoid spoilers, do not watch.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Hold on

Hm, let me think.

There isn't we know the full roster.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I've got the characters I want, so I'm happy. It's high time the Koopalings were playable.

R0Y

Smash Master
When did I say they wouldnt get patched? Oh wait, I didnt. And how can I overestimate the number when I didnt GIVE a number? All I said is that there will definitely be glitch shortcuts. At best that implies at least 2.

Please dont put words in my mouth, kthnxbye.
Passive aggressive much?

Super Mario Wiki says that this is the starting roster:
Interesting, Rosalina not bumped to starter but Baby Daisy is...

R0Y

Smash Master
So far, there's at least one character who gets unlocked by clearing one of the 100cc cups, so it's possible.
Oh, interesting. Mario Kart 7 only gave you Mii's for 50 or 100cc and nothing else, but then again it had fewer characters than MKWii.

edit: Removed, cant have that kind of language on the forums!!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Wow, using harsh language like that is kind of unprofessional. But it's still funny. :p

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Mario Kart 8 will be at 2700 Gamestop locations this weekend!
Get your bodies ready.
For once, a demo is actually near me.

Y'know, I've been listening to MK8's soundtrack, and honestly? I'm not really a fan. It's not bad, far from it. But despite having a full orchestra this time, I still prefer the original synth songs of the retro tracks for the most part. The new versions somehow feel less energetic, and some of the instrument choices (like violins) seem repetitive.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
I don't like GameStop very much, but I think Mario Kart can help make an exception. :p

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
For once, a demo is actually near me.

Y'know, I've been listening to MK8's soundtrack, and honestly? I'm not really a fan. It's not bad, far from it. But despite having a full orchestra this time, I still prefer the original synth songs of the retro tracks for the most part. The new versions somehow feel less energetic, and some of the instrument choices (like violins) seem repetitive.
I was going to reply with the Mount Wario music, then I saw this. :p

Mario Kart 8 will be at 2700 Gamestop locations this weekend!
Get your bodies ready.
I'm so excited for the weekend now. :colorful:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of amusing how back in the 1990's, all we got were 8 characters, and no one ever really complained. Boy have things changed drastically since Double Dash!!.
Less characters=/= Bad Roster, look at MK7 or MKDS. Small but great rosters overall. The same can not be said for MK8 unfortunately, it seems if Nintendo just focused on having a big roster but not a favorable or balanced one.
Speaking of DD, the switch mechanic needs to return...

R0Y

Smash Master
Wow, this game's soundtrack is fantastic, especially Toad Harbour, reminds me of something out of Sonic Adventure 1:

Last edited:

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
But we can influence it.being the consumers and all. The bad choices take up most of the roster IMO

Being fair though if you take the Koopalings out of it (which while some may not like are HUGELY appreciated by a lot of fans), then you're left with a roster of 23... from that you've got one baby (at least) too many (I'd drop Baby Daisy in an instant because while the character has been around a while longer than Rosa, she's been in ONE non-sports title (Mario Land her first appearance) along with both her and her adult counterpart having that annoying valley girl persona)... other than that there's the obvious Pink Gold Peach who while a bizarre inclusion is clearly in their to give the female audience a response to Metal Mario (who gets a pass from me because of fond Smash Bros 64 memories :p )

So overall I'd say sure, Baby Rosalina & Baby Daisy should have made way for Birdo & Diddy Kong & in that case dropping Pink Gold for Dixie would have equally worked
But for a roster of 30 if only 3 are true duds in the eyes of many ( and come on at least this ain't a dislikable design for something created solely for Kart (
)) then I think it's safe to say the Roster isn't made up mostly of bad choices :)

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
On another note however, if Nintendo announced at launch a 'season pass' offering say at minimum a Cup (alternating between Nitro & Retro per DLC pack), 1 Battle Arena, 3 new parts & 2 new racers per DLC chunk would anyone argue with getting it?? I'd guess maybe 4 packs and I'm kinda hoping for this so we get to see some smaller Battle stages, continued new content and of course more characters is always a bonus....extending the game's lifespan
I'd plump for Diddy & Funky/Dixie
then Dry Bowser & Dry Bones (upgraded to a medium)
Birdo & Nabbit
E.Gadd & King Boo

(I'd forgo Bowser Jr because frankly with the Koopalings, Bowser, Koopa & for my the Dry's & Nabbit, Jr loses his uniqueness :p )

R0Y

Smash Master

Being fair though if you take the Koopalings out of it (which while some may not like are HUGELY appreciated by a lot of fans), then you're left with a roster of 23... from that you've got one baby (at least) too many (I'd drop Baby Daisy in an instant because while the character has been around a while longer than Rosa, she's been in ONE non-sports title (Mario Land her first appearance) along with both her and her adult counterpart having that annoying valley girl persona)...
I don't really mind the roster but that's funny, never thought of Daisy as a "valley girl," like whatevvvvvvvvvverrrr, duhhhhh...ohmygoddddddddddd

2 pallete swaps is very weird, I have fond Mario 64 memories so I'm happy with Metal Mario, and I think Pink Gold Peach just sounds so out there and weird it's kind of nice to have her. I hope Peach turns into Pink Gold Peach in Smash when she grabs a metal box. :p Doesn't change that she's a pallete swap like Metal Mario, and not a true extra character per se. Koopalings I'm indifferent, kind of happy they're there actually.

Not a fan of the babies at all, any of them, would have preferred them to be E.Gadd, King Boo, Bowser Jr, Diddy Kong, and Funky Kong.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I was refering to ALL of the babies except (BMario and BLuigi) and all the Metal characters. The Koopalings was a really cool addition, but it almost seems as if they replaced most of the MK mainstays for 8 essentially clones of each other(for the most part, they are still very different characters but all afe basically smaller Bowsers with different getups and personalities)

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
I was refering to ALL of the babies except (BMario and BLuigi) and all the Metal characters. The Koopalings was a really cool addition, but it almost seems as if they replaced most of the MK mainstays for 8 essentially clones of each other(for the most part, they are still very different characters but all afe basically smaller Bowsers with different getups and personalities)
Mario&Luigi Partners in Time cemented Baby Peach in alongside Mario&Luigi for me, anything connected to that game tbh is more than a great thing :L

And with the Koopalings I think they end up seeming about as similar or less so than Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi/BabyMario/BabyLuigi so it's fine IMO

ErenJager

Smash Champion
To most people this roster only has 15 characters.
The Koopa's should just be a bonus.
Replace the whole third row with Diddy, Bowser Jr, Birdo, Para Troopa, Boo, and Kamek.
Replace metal mario with a better wtf character like someone from Wario Ware or another random kong like Ashley, K. Rool, or like Dixie even.

You could still complain but it would be more interesting.

There's just so many better characters that have been in the series before or that could be introduced to it that I haven't even listed that would be better then babies and metal characters.

Last edited:

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
If he's playable their I'm going to play as Larry Koopa.

Top Bottom