• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

LF2K

Floor Diver
OK, the weight classes have apparently changed names again:

Feather
Super Light
Light
Medium
Cruiser
Heavy
Super Heavy

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I get Wario is heavy but how is he heavier then Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach?
Actually, their weight is "exactly" the same. The only difference between Metal Mario and Wario is that the former has better handling, while the latter has better speed.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So basically Wario is just a better Metal Mario, cuz Handling is a trash stat lol.

Then again, Im willing to bet there will be more stats, much like MK7, where in game it only shows 5 stats, but in reality MK7 has 16 stats. lol

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
Ok so seeing the characters broken down now into 7 as opposed to 3 weight classes (so is that a Koopaling for each one? Oh wait that would make too much blooming sense :p ) is a much more even spread than had initially appeared, I am now genuinely hoping that 3 or 4 months down the line Nintendo starts tossing out their actually-quite-sensible type of DLC so we get say a pack containing a Nitro and Retro cup along with a character and a couple of Kart parts for completing each on 50,100,150&Mirror. If it was stuff worked on post-launch and offered players further enjoyment and content I don't feel anyone would complain and it'd be as good an excuse as any to toss out a Kong-themed nitro & retro GP with Diddy, Funky &/or Dixie/Cranky/Jr. Hell add in 'Banana Bronze DK' and you've got a Kong for each category :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I just really hope they balance the stats, or at the least, make top speed not always scale off the Speed stat. What I mean like that is things like making Offroad tracks (like Ice stages or stages like Kalamari Desert or Neo Bowser City's raining parts in MK7 for examples) have speed reduced or increase by the Offroad stats, and have different speed stats for Air/Water like MK7 did, and hopefully have Anti-Gravity speed, to allow for Speed to not be such a dominant stat and allow combos be better based on stages. And I know combos have always been better/worse on different stages, but I mean A LOT different, because no matter the stage, in every Mario Kart, you've always been able to just go 100% speed and your option is always a top 3 choice on every stage, imo they need to allow different stats to excel on different stages much more drastically (or at least nerf Speed really hard on non-conventional terrain and DONT EVER give big boosts in multiple Speed stats to any one vehicle piece) so that the choice between building an all around car or building specific terrain speed cars is actually worth it, and to allow strategic vehicle builds based on Cups youre playing in during tournaments and such.

The one thing Mario Kart has always lacked is stat balance, and I dont mean the amount of stats every character/car/etc has, I mean the balance between the stats themselves. For example, in MKWii (since its the Mario Kart game I played competitively for a LONG time), there are 7 stats, but in reality, you only really need to care about 3, maybe 4 of them, the other ones are just useless at a competitive level. You only really need Speed, Drift, and Mini Turbo, wth Weight being a really opinionated stat to where some competitive players prioritize it as high as a the most important stat, while others dont care about it. Then you look at Acceleration, a completely useless stat due to standing MT's, Handling which is quite literally COMPLETELY useless due to Drift being a stat, and OffRoad, which outside of stage specifi Time Trials, is totally useless in competitive play since you should always stay on the track, and if offroad if bumped off or something, can just Standing MT back on track without needing OffRoad. MK7 KIND OF fixed some of these problems, but then they created even more problems by adding SO MANY MORE useless stats and then having totally imbalanced items on top of it.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ok so seeing the characters broken down now into 7 as opposed to 3 weight classes (so is that a Koopaling for each one? Oh wait that would make too much blooming sense :p ) is a much more even spread than had initially appeared, I am now genuinely hoping that 3 or 4 months down the line Nintendo starts tossing out their actually-quite-sensible type of DLC so we get say a pack containing a Nitro and Retro cup along with a character and a couple of Kart parts for completing each on 50,100,150&Mirror. If it was stuff worked on post-launch and offered players further enjoyment and content I don't feel anyone would complain and it'd be as good an excuse as any to toss out a Kong-themed nitro & retro GP with Diddy, Funky &/or Dixie/Cranky/Jr. Hell add in 'Banana Bronze DK' and you've got a Kong for each category :p
Banana Bronze isn't a real metal though.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Whoever said that Mario Kart was non canon? It's not a crossover like Smash Bros. I must ask for evidence.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Setting up a race with a friend on wifi:

And also free track selection confirmed:

Seems that the random track selection will only be a thing on wifi, which I guess I am okay with since it'll stop people from spamming the same track over and over.

Also, at 1:06 of this video, it seems that 9999 vr will be the max vr again.

Last edited:

M&Mavocado

Smash Cadet
Excited by the 7 weight classes; it looks like things are more balanced this time around with Metal Mario and PGP having lower speed than the rest of the heavies, even if it ends up with Wario/Bowser/Morton being overused. Still gonna main Wario regardless. He's been my main since forever. Also if anyone plays as Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina, or PGP, I will not hesitate to push them off a cliff. Not a fan of characters introduced solely for spinoffs, taking spots away from more deserving important characters.

R0Y

Smash Master
I'd prefer system-wide Achievements or Trophies, or heck, call them medals if you want like Sony called them Trophies to distinguish from Xbox/Steam. Stamps let you post per-determined images in your Miiverse posts which is cool if you want to do that.

They're like de facto, non-standardized, non-publicly listed achievements in some first party titles at this point. MK8's going to have them too.

Bottom left. Here's a list so far: http://www.mariowiki.com/Stamp_(Mario_Kart_8)

For interest's sake, IIRC only Nintendo Land, Super Mario 3D World, NES Remix 1 and 2, Animal Crossing Plaza, and now Mario Kart 8 have them.

Smash will probably have Sakurai's challenges area like Brawl and KI: Uprising did. I liked those a lot.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So, do you guys want to know whether or not Inside Drifting is back? Watch this to find out!

Or, I could just tell you:

Although André says "no, but sort of" in that video, a more accurate way of saying it is that "it's back, but it's been rebalanced".

Essentially, there will now be a delay before you start going inward. You will be doing an outside drift for a brief moment, and then you'll start going inward.

Whoever said that Mario Kart was non canon? It's not a crossover like Smash Bros. I must ask for evidence.
...Because it doesn't have a story AT ALL, and multiple versions of the same character co-exist in the same race.

Not that the Mario universe has much of a grand, over-arching canon anyway.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It should also be noted that only certain bike bodies will have that inside drift feature. So far, only the Sport Bike has been confirmed to utilize the inside drift feature, while the Standard Bike can only drift out.

On a side note, remember that the Sport Bike does not affect the speed stat, but it does boost acceleration and handling, at the expense of some weight and a decent amount of grip.

Gatlin

Based on video speculation, the drifting in Mario Kart 8 kind of reminds me of drifting on a heavy-offroad track in MKW, such as Sherbet Land or Desert Hills.
It looks slippery, but manageable.

R0Y

Smash Master
I hope there are no crazy shortcuts that they have to patch out like the did in MK7. Exploits most users don't know how to do don't make for a fun match or a fair ghost.

With that said, anyone remember this?:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Seeing as N64 Rainbow Road is a 3-section track, and has been altered at various spots, a trick like that will likely be impossible to do.

R0Y

Smash Master
Seeing as N64 Rainbow Road is a 3-section track, and has been altered at various spots, a trick like that will likely be impossible to do.
Oh yes,you'd miss checkpoints anyway and Laikitu grabs you in a second in this game. Just my favourite shortcut glitch in the entire series.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
So I've compiled a list of the characters from Mario that may have a shot as DLC and their possible weight class. I was bored. Hahaha

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Maka Wuhu though.

And there will almost DEFINITELY be glitch shortcuts, in a game like Mario Kart its almost impossible to catch them all.

Gatlin

I'm wondering if they patched up Grumble. I am certain they would get rid of the ultra, but I wonder if the lava cut will still be possible.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I'm sure they did. It would be funny if they punished you if you tried it again. :p

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle we're getting here in the States is nice but I wish Nintendo would offer alternatives. Perhaps the Mario Kart 8 Pro Bundle which would include a special edition Wii U Pro Controller rather than the Mario themed Wii-mote and red wheel.

R0Y

Smash Master
Maka Wuhu though.

And there will almost DEFINITELY be glitch shortcuts, in a game like Mario Kart its almost impossible to catch them all.
You're probably overestimating the number, they'll all be patched. They were all patched for online in MK7 as well.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
With the Wii U, they can iron out any ultra shortcuts that pop up. It was impossible back in the day with Mario Kart Wii, but I think ultra shorts in 8 won't be too much of a problem.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
A little OT, but played a little MK64 today.... We've come a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way since Mario Kart 64.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Following the inside drifting bike news, along with the Sport Bike, the following seems to be the inside drifters...

Comet
Jet Bike
Yoshi Bike

All the other bike bodies are apparently outside drifters, which may imply that the bike body's format may determine if it'll drift in or out.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
A little OT, but played a little MK64 today.... We've come a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way since Mario Kart 64.
I don't think a post about Mario Kart 64 in the Mario Kart topic is off topic. :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You're probably overestimating the number, they'll all be patched. They were all patched for online in MK7 as well.
When did I say they wouldnt get patched? Oh wait, I didnt. And how can I overestimate the number when I didnt GIVE a number? All I said is that there will definitely be glitch shortcuts. At best that implies at least 2.

Please dont put words in my mouth, kthnxbye.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I don't think a post about Mario Kart 64 in the Mario Kart topic is off topic. :p
Cool! Here's my favorite Mario Kart 64 memory.

During the holiday season of 1997 my local Blockbuster Video had replaced Super Mario 64 in the promotional kiosk with Mario Kart 64. As some of you may be aware MK64 is my favorite game on the N64 having spent literally hundreds if not thousands of hours playing it with friends. I was in Blockbuster browsing around Christmas time because N64 games were still rather pricey back then so I tended to rent before committing to a purchase.

There was a hardcore gamer looking guy of about 19 years old playing Mario Kart 64 and I could tell he had some skills because he was pulling off mini-turbos around just about every corner. He must have noticed me watching him because he arrogantly mentioned that MK64 was also a multiplayer game and would I like to race against him. I hesitated for just a brief moment but instinct got the better of me and before I knew it I had controller number 2 clutched tightly in my hands and I was counter-picking Wario to his choice of Donkey Kong. I guess in the heady moments leading up to our race I reckoned he'd try to bump me off the track if I picked a lighter yet more forgiving character like Toad or Yoshi. I let him pick the track and engine size for our Versus bout- he showed absolutely no mercy by picking Royal Raceway and 150cc so immediately I knew this guy meant business.

We both got the turbo at the start of the race which seemed to take my opponent by surprise and I felt him hesitate ever so slightly as we approached the first turn. He compounded his error further by not getting a full mini-turbo which allowed me to pull ahead as we made our way down to the edge of the lake which rests tranquilly at the center of the track. As luck would have it, I had picked up a single banana as my item and I opted to gamble by dropping it at the bend rather than dragging it behind me. My gambit paid off as I heard DK squeal in distress as he spun out of control and in to the lake. Within ten seconds of the start of the race my opponent standing next to me was already grumbling under his breath. He was far too skilled and hardened a warrior to admit defeat so early as he knew that Mario Kart 64 offers up a wicked level of handicap advantage to those who fall behind, and sure enough his next trip through an item box rewarded him with a deadly red shell. By this point I had also been granted a practical implement, given the fact that I was in first place, in the form of a green shell and this time I wisely chose to drag it behind me for defense. Yeah, this guy was quite the tactician as he showed the patience to wait until I was on the other side of the ramp and in the S-turn before launching his homing shell but to no avail as it harmlessly hit the green shell I had in tow.

By this point a small crowd had gathered behind us to take in the spectacle. I never dared look back at them as I knew a victory would take every ounce of concentration I could muster but I was aware of the spectators at a near subconscious level. Besides, they occasionally made their presence known by their guttural gasps whenever they sensed a possible lead change.

Royal Raceway is a very long track and we did jockey for position several times as the slightest error on either of our behalves would cost us the lead. It became apparent the winner of this race wasn't going to be the person with the better driving ability but the challenger with the sharper mind and an edge in luck. Much luck was needed too as Versus also ramps up the excitement by placing yellow bombs on the track which can be, and often are game-changers if one errantly collides with them.

On that day chance was on my side as I was able to lay down a suppressing field of bananas near the end of the track. In fact, there were so many bananas strewn about that we both started to slide on them as we headed down the homestretch. My victory was assured only because I was able to pull myself out of the slide by a deft tap of the brake and regain just enough control to stay on the course. As I did - the half dozen or so people watching erupted in to a roar with some of them even stepping forward to pat me on the back.

Yeah... that was a moment that I'll never forget and part of the reason why the N64 will always hold a special place in my heart.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I remember renting Super Mario Kart a lot back in the day. Then I finally got a copy for my 5th birthday. I was practically the only kid who didn't own a N64, so all my friends always talked about how great Mario Kart 64 was while I got to only play Super.

My grandparents owned a N64, though, so I got to play MK64 sometimes with my family. We always had fun. And I eventually got a N64 of my own with MK64, which I still own today.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Super Mario Wiki says that this is the starting roster:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Yoshi
Toad
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Wario
Waluigi

Kind of odd the babies are starting characters.

Top Bottom