• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No one has an issue with Rosie being a playable in Mario Kart. She's a playable character in 3D World now, so it's fine. She is being heavily marketed right now, so she is appearing in everything she can right now. But like you said; she's a playable in 3D World, so that's fine.

I do take issue in forcing a baby form of her in randomly though.

Likewise, Yoshi is fine, and yes Baby Yoshi is a character, but baby oversaturation is unnecessary and no one is clamouring for Baby Yoshi. No more metals, no more babies. No Metal Baby Mario or Gold Pink Baby Peach in the next game please Nintendo.

And let's pretend Diddy, Bowser.Jr, etc, aren't in this game at all, and that they definitely won't be DLC - won't that make their inevitable return to the series all the more exciting in the next game?
Interesting question. We got any big Bowser Jr. or Diddy fans around who can answer their feelings regarding this?

On a similar note; Were people excited about Waluigi's inevitable return to the series when they got Mario Kart 7? Gonna need a Waluigi fan to answer this.

Genuinely interested to see if they were more hyped for MK8 due to his return, or whether it killed some of their love for the series when Wiggler, Metal Mario and Honey Queen got in over him.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
No one has an issue with Rosie being a playable in Mario Kart. She's a playable character in 3D World now, so it's fine. She is being heavily marketed right now, so she is appearing in everything she can right now. But like you said; she's a playable in 3D World, so that's fine.

Likewise, Yoshi is fine, and yes Baby Yoshi is a character, but baby oversaturation is unnecessary and no one is clamouring for Baby Yoshi. No more metals, no more babies. No Metal Baby Mario or Gold Pink Baby Peach in the next game please Nintendo.

Interesting question. We got any big Bowser Jr. or Diddy fans around who can answer their feelings regarding this?

On a similar note; Were people excited about Waluigi's inevitable return to the series when they got Mario Kart 7? Gonna need a Waluigi fan to answer this.

Genuinely interested to see if they were more hyped for MK8 due to his return, or whether it killed some of their love for the series when Wiggler, Metal Mario and Honey Queen got in over him.
I liked Mario Kart 7 more because he wasn't in.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I was addressing the notion that she is "shoe horned", or that she is "taking spots from other characters". I'm well aware that most people who hate the character alone are just bitter Daisy elitists, or people who don't appreciate the notion of a character that isn't just happy/humourous all of the time in a Mario game, so I really don't care to discuss that. I just think saying she is shoe horned is really untrue. Like I said, she's skipped plenty of games. And she's in 3D World because it's made by the Galaxy team, and Rosalina is basically Yoshiaki Koizumi's "creator's pet" (I don't know if he designed her, but he made her storybook and created her backstory), and he is the current producer of the main Mario games. I don't think Rosalina is in other games because of 3D World at all. She represents the Galaxy games, which are among the most successful Mario games. She makes complete sense, as she brings back fond memories of the Galaxy games where ever she goes. As far as I'm concerned, if Bowser.Jr deserves a place in spin-offs, then so does Rosalina (as Bowser.Jr is an obvious Sunshine rep, but Sunshine was not nearly as well received as Galaxy. And while Bowser.Jr did appear in the Galaxy games and the NSMB games, the things that made him likeable and potentially interesting were thrown right out the window).

And I don't really think anyone clamours for anyone in MK games other than guests like Kirby, so Baby characters are completely valid options.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Stuff about Rosalina

And I don't really think anyone clamours for anyone in MK games other than guests like Kirby, so Baby characters are completely valid options.
Ignoring the stuff about Rosalina as I already stated I don't have an issue with her being in a Mario game, what with her being a Mario character, and now a playable Mario character, I merely stated she's being heavily marketed as the 'hot character' right now. I'm not a Daisy purist or anything(I don't think she deserves a baby version either); hell, I was even annoyed she was left out of Mario Tennis 3DS in favour of Luma.

People are clamouring for Kirby and Captain Falcon, eh?

I think more would be down with that than the baby/metal/dry versions of already included characters. Do that instead Nintendo. Maybe you can even get some inspiration for F-Zero finally.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

"Hyped" and "excited" really aren't the right words.
"Relieved" is more accurate. Waluigi doesn't create that much hype for me, it's just nice to see a character I like and consider part of the main cast back.
Mario Karts are made seldom enough where when I get the most recent entry I'm not looking at the roster and thinking "Oh, can't wait for this character that should've been in to be in the next one in who knows how many years!" I'm focused on the one I just bought, after all.
Same with the potential return of Diddy and Jr. It'd be more "oh thank god they're back" than "oh gawd they're back hype!"
The only returning character that would do that for me would be King Boo...with his Dark Moon design. And Petey if you'd even want to call him "returning" at this point.

But, also, with Jr. and Diddy, and Birdo and King Boo, I could've gotten that feeling with Mario Kart 7, but missing another doesn't create the same feeling. It just creates disappointment. Sure, I'll probably be "excited" for them if they return eventually, but I'd hardly call it inevitable since they've missed, not one, but two entries.
But, again, "relieved" is more appropriate. I'm buying the game either way. It'd just be nice to have the characters I hold near and dear to me in the games that I think they should be in anyway. But that's just me, I suppose.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
WHY ISN'T BABY ROSALINA'S HAIR RED?

GOD DAMMIT, NINTENDO, DON'T YOU READ YOUR OWN STORYBOOKS

R0Y

Smash Master
No battle arenas in this game...just (barely) re-purposed tracks. I could see running in circles looking for people to blast could get old. So essentially we have less content than before in battle mode even if they're returning to the preferred sudden death.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I believe Funky was hated is because he showed up online so much due to his hidden speed boost. People just got tried of racing 6 Funkys at once.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
WHY ISN'T BABY ROSALINA'S HAIR RED?

GOD DAMMIT, NINTENDO, DON'T YOU READ YOUR OWN STORYBOOKS
Red isn't Rosalina's natural hair color, so it's possible that she dyed her hair red during her older childhood life. It's also possible that she had to give up her signature hair bang during her childhood as well.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Isn't the idea of a mother and daughter playing as Rosalina and Baby Rosalina respectively, not kind of adorable (applies to the other Adult/Baby pairs too)?
This is an incentive on why we need a bonus Double Dash mode. :( Hopes that the devs promise us this.

Want to know my thoughts on the final characters? They were quite lackluster, especially when this game could have delivered a neat roster. However, I'm not mad enough that the roster justifies the rest of the game.

Baby Rosalina was at least forseeable. Honestly, she really just occupies more roster space for the babies. At least I could see her being a reasonable possibility, unlike Pink Gold Peach! Are we seriously using re-UV mapped recolors copied off models for existing characters and altered voice clips? Now if it's any of the new characters that need a boot, it's her.

Mario Kart 8 could have really delivered a solid roster with what was left. The Mario universe has a plethora of characters that would be much more reasonable. Diddy Kong would have been a ideal even for the medium class. Bowser Jr. would've been perfect to round off the Koopalings to 8. If not him, then Dry Bowser would have been nice for Bone Dry Dunes? Oh hey, what about Dry Bones then? Magikoopa didn't even get his true appearance fulfilled. Nabbit would have been a good choice, being one of the more unique picks. If you want to go really out, why not bring some WarioWare co-stars like Mona Pizza or Ashley?

Mario Kart Wii still remains to have the best roster of all, IMO. You had your token lineup of characters (even Waluigi and Toadette) along with some pleasant surprises (Rosalina then, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser). A perfect assortment of veterans and newcomers each with their own novelty. MK7 and MK8 are roughly on the same level with their wonky character selections.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
By the way, all MK8 footage uploaded to youtube via Nintendo's built-in app is Content ID'd. You shouldn't be worried unless you're a Youtube partner. Nintendo doesn't want you profiting off monetizing gameplay videos of their work. Otherwise however, it means no copyright strikes against your channel either, you won't be getting penalized. This is free advertising and coin (Nintendo owns the videos revenues) for Nintendo.

A non-issue basically and to be expected when Nintendo added a video upload suite to the game but you might see a few people butthurt by it.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
That would just mean everyone keeps using the same kat/bike/ATV combination for every race. The character choices kinda balance this out, really.
Perhaps, but I think we're going to see quite a diverse range of karts / bikes / parts used, simply because different combinations are seemingly going to be better on certain tracks, and with the way that online track selection is going to work, people can no longer go online with the be-all-end-all combo and spam their favourite track to wreck everyone on. Instead, being a randomly chosen 3, there is risk and a demand for diversity and knowledge that will be necessary.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Tracks are to Mario Kart, what characters are to Smash.G
So I really don't mind the weird roster additions, I always wanted Baby Rosalina and I can live with Pink Gold Peach, but I would've preferred Golden Mario and Silver Luigi. Now...I think the GBA track should've been Cheese Land or Ribbon Road, not Mario Circuit, and the absence of Neo Bowser City baffles me. Other than that, space station Rainbow Road 4life, and giant Bowser Golem 4life.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Friend of mine from another site said:
I will set up a NO ITEMS, ROSALINA ONLY, RAINBOW ROAD tournament. *brick'd* x.x;
In relation to the tournament feature in MK8.

Last edited:

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
I wonder why Funky Kong is so hated, he has the best personality of anyone else. Just listen to his voice!
People hate him because people only use him online in Mario Kart. I've been playing the game for many years and I like Funky Kong because he's just soo awesome in terms of stats and just how he talks. I agree with you, he gets more hate than he should get.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I didn't even know Funky was in mkwii until earlier this year... still haven't unlocked him.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Late to say it, but the first post has been updated.

* Latest characters added
* Latest tracks added as well as their official cup placements

Also, I'm sure this has probably been posted already, but if you have not already seen, here is a link to view all of the tracks in decent detail: http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/tracks/

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Courtesy of Mario Boards's Baby Luigi, another video which shows game play footage, along with the return of the single player VS Race.

Also, here are the vehicle part statistics that I've gathered from the video.

Note: Stat values are out of 24, and the Standard Kart + Standard + Super Glider combo is the default combo.

-------------
Characters

Koopa Troopa
*Speed: 11/24
*Acceleration: 12/24
*Weight: 11/24
*Handling: 17/24
*Grip: 17/24
-------------
Bodies

Standard Kart
*Speed: 0
*Acceleration: 0
*Weight: 0
*Handling: 0
*Grip: 0

Mach 8
*Speed: +2
*Acceleration: -1
*Weight: +1
*Grip: -4

Badwagon
*Acceleration: -2
*Weight: +2
*Handling: -2
*Grip: +2

Buggybud
*Speed: -3
*Acceleration: +5
*Weight: -2
*Handling: +2
*Grip: -1

Standard Bike
*Acceleration: +1
*Weight: -1
*Handling: +2
*Grip: -2

Sport Bike
*Acceleration: +3
*Weight: -1
*Handling: +3
*Grip: -5

Standard Quad
*Handling: -2
*Grip: +2
-------------
Wheels

Standard

Monster
*Handling: -3
*Grip: +3
-------------
Gliders

Super Glider
-------------

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I was furious at Waluigi's exclusion from MK7, mainly because the newcomers (aside from Wiggler) I found incredibly lackluster, and that Daisy returned, when she's just about as important as Waluigi. I feel the same way about Junior and Birdo's exclusions. I'd rather be satisfied that they're in, rather than relieved if they return for the next game. Plus, MK8 is going to be around for awhile. That means I could potentially have 5+ years of not being able to play as a few of my favorites.

I finally got around to watching the direct, and aside from the awkward TV motif, I'm a little disappointed I won't be able to smash lightweights off the road during antigrav sections.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
*Baby Rosalina got in*
*Baby Wario or Baby Waluigi didn't*
AAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!!!!

We are definitely getting DLC. I can assure you of that.
And most likely, veterans are coming back in it too, along with some new racers (Baby Wario Bros., E. Gadd, Fawful, and K. Rool please).

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
*Baby Rosalina got in*
AAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!!!!

And most likely, veterans are coming back in it too, along with some new racers (Baby Wario Bros., E. Gadd, Fawful, and K. Rool please).
I really hope so.
I'd like my Dry Bones back.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
*Baby Rosalina got in*
AAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!!!!

Don't set yourself up for disappointment there, as DLC doesn't seem to be planned at the moment.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I wouldn't mind DLC. Not just for characters like Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong, but I would love to see some new and old tracks that didn't make the cut. *oough*likeWarioColosseum*cough*

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I was furious at Waluigi's exclusion from MK7, mainly because the newcomers (aside from Wiggler) I found incredibly lackluster, and that Daisy returned, when she's just about as important as Waluigi. I feel the same way about Junior and Birdo's exclusions. I'd rather be satisfied that they're in, rather than relieved if they return for the next game. Plus, MK8 is going to be around for awhile. That means I could potentially have 5+ years of not being able to play as a few of my favorites.

I finally got around to watching the direct, and aside from the awkward TV motif, I'm a little disappointed I won't be able to smash lightweights off the road during antigrav sections.
Daisy's more important for Mario than Waluigi. She actually appeared out of a spin off game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Don't set yourself up for disappointment there, as DLC doesn't seem to be planned at the moment.
It's not outside of the realm of possibility, though.

I mean, they're not gonna have another gaming console for at least another 5-6 years. On top of that, MK8 has a really good graphics engine, and seems to be at a bit of a peak in terms of what Mario Kart can do. With the addition of anti-gravity, the possibilities for course designs are endless. And since the engine and programs used to make the game are all done, they really just have to create more levels in whatever level creation software they now use for MK8. Character additions should be an even simpler affair.

Unless the MK team have other big projects they might end up working on, I feel DLC is more or less a given.

Last edited:

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
I really can't see this being the entire roster, especially with the HUGE imbalance of weights, the official site sitting with
13 Light (5 babies, 5 NPCs, 3 Koopas) against
9 Heavies (2 Metal, 2 Ws, Bowser, DK, 2 Koopas, Rosalina) against merely
7 Mediums (2 Koopas, 2 Marios, 2 Princess, Yoshi) nearly half the amount as light

No other Mario Kart has had as big of inconsistencies in the weight balancing and even if Cruiser and Feather classes were brought back (which the official site seems to disagree with) then we'd still be left with the weird light/feather majority

13 in each class + Mii would leave us with 40, sure that's huge compared to Wii's 25 but restricting to the 3 classes again and making it balance-wise about the karts would leave it a case of just dropping in character models which wouldn't be a big strain

So yea personally I've a bet on close to another 4 Heavy and another 6 Medium racers on launch day
Heavy guesses: Funky Kong, Dry Bowser, Wiggler, Chargin' Chuck
Medium guesses: Diddy Kong, Birdo, Nabbit, Kamek, E Gadd, Dixie Kong

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
People hate him because people only use him online in Mario Kart. I've been playing the game for many years and I like Funky Kong because he's just soo awesome in terms of stats and just how he talks. I agree with you, he gets more hate than he should get.
So many Funky Lamers and Daisy Mach Riders.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
If we do get DLC characters I was thinking that maybe they'd be bundled with a unique cup much like the DLC tours for Mario Golf... If this where the case what bundles would you like to see?

The one that stands out to me Didy with Diddy Kong Racing tracks... maybe the Balloon Cup?
Looking at the roster shape, assuming this is final, I think 5 characters would work best per pack, so maybe Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, Baby DK, Funky if they really want to keep a theme... though they'd probably just go for some of the other missing characters instead.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Oh my god its comments like this that make me wonder if anybody in this god damn thread pays any attention to anything
I really can't see this being the entire roster
They've straight up said word for word 'There will be more characters'.

Sigh.

****ing hell man. You guys, pay attention.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm pretty happy to see kart customization in this game. Does that pretty much mean the characters (minus weight, obviously) are all standard and then it's your vehicle that matters to your success?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm pretty happy to see kart customization in this game. Does that pretty much mean the characters (minus weight, obviously) are all standard and then it's your vehicle that matters to your success?
So far, we've only seen the vehicle combo stats for Toadette and Koopa Troopa, both of which are light. Chances are, the default stats will likely be different for the heavier characters.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Oh my god its comments like this that make me wonder if anybody in this god damn thread pays any attention to anything

They've straight up said word for word 'There will be more characters'.

There are 39 pages, I'm not going to read every single comment; if there's nothing about what I was thinking in the last 3 pages I think it's fair game to post a comment on it.

As for your point, I request an official source. The only place I've seen them 'say' that there are more characters coming was IGN, and they have not only since updated their website, but moreover are a single falible indirect source out of hundreds who are reporting on this with no mention of any statement from Nintendo.

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
So far, we've only seen the vehicle combo stats for Toadette and Koopa Troopa, both of which are light. Chances are, the default stats will likely be different for the heavier characters.
(Good to see you, old friend.) That would make sense. Hey, at least the Kart doesn't look totally inferior to the Bike anymore. I'm more excited for this game than I was for MKWii.

Top Bottom