• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Yeah, even though someone like Pink Gold Peach is bad, I'll just ignore it.

Who's up for discussing mains? Mine might be either Yoshi or Shy Guy.
Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, and DK, like always. Though I'll definitely use all the Koopalings too. I've loved them since I played SMB3 all those years ago.

Though honestly? I think the character I'm most upset about not returning is Wiggler. He's always been my favorite Mario enemy.

D

Deleted member

I will play as Luigi 95% of the time. I might switch to different characters like Wario and Shy Guy, but I will mainly play as Luigi.

M&Mavocado

Smash Cadet
The fact that they chose DS Wario Stadium instead of NGC Wario Colosseum as a retro track irks me more than Baby Rosalina. Pink Gold Peach, on the other hand...

Last edited:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
It's like the developers thought "HOLY **** WAIT if this Mario kart is so amazing how will we sell the next one?!" and they decided to add Random Deviant Art OC Fanart and Untextured Peach.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'll probably main Toad, Lakitu, Luigi, Ludwig, Larry and Roy; I'll be keen to try them all in glorious HD though. Except maybe Daisy, who scarred me for life after Mario Kart Wii.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Terrible roster selection. The babies, MM, and PGP are nothing but wasted slots. The fact they were higher priorities over people like Diddy, Jr, and Dry Bones is extremely disappointing

LF2K

Floor Diver
While I'm not fond of Baby Rosalina, she isn't the deviantart OC level of bad. :p

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The roster is so far the only thing that really killing me about this game.
I suppose that's a good thing since the characters don't matter as much as the tracks do, which look amazing.
Even DS Wario Stadium. Would I have rather had a certain other Wario-related track to return? Yeah, extremely...but I still always liked DS Wario Stadium. Just not as much as Wario Colosseum...at least I get a remix of Waluigi Pinball to go along with it!
But...ugh, the roster I find so bad that it just might sour the rest of the game for me.
We don't even have Ding! I have my Dong :4dk:, but I need my Ding!
And with my Ding I also need my King [Boo]!

Last edited:

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
"Pink Gold" Peach (what does that even actually mean?) is freaky... It reminds me of the T-1000 from Terminator 2, for some reason. Those soulless eyes. They stare straight through me...

But in all seriousness, this is perhaps the most disappointing roster for any Mario Kart my eyes have fixed upon. And that's really saying something, considering Mario Kart 7, which just preceded it. At least everything else is shaping up to be quite exceptional, though... well... except for the "Battle Mode," as it stands, IMO. Nothing can just be remarkable, or approached with attentive care in all categories, eh? Too much to ask for? Shame, really...

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
"Pink Gold" is an alloy of gold and copper. It's also known as Russian Gold, Red Gold, and Rose Gold. I guess they wanted Pink Gold Peach to made of a metal that's different from Metal Mario.

And yes, I did look up what Pink Gold was since she was revealed. :p

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
"Pink Gold" is an alloy of gold and copper. It's also known as Russian Gold, Red Gold, and Rose Gold. I guess they wanted Pink Gold Peach to made of a metal that's different from Metal Mario.

And yes, I did look up what Pink Gold was since she was revealed. :p
Well that's news to me... Still, I wish her name could've been something more catchy than along the lines of "Pink Gold Peach." Just doesn't really roll off the tongue, or sound cool while you're saying it, ya know?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Fan's don't have the money, skill, talent, or time to make a good mario kart game.
But they sure as heck know how to outline what a good one needs.
I've looked over a few fan rosters, besides the outlandish ones... they all seemed better then this.

This games success is riding on it's "options" you can set during a match.
The game will sell well regardless, but it may not be a big push the wii u is looking for.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
I think we're overreacting. No roster's been perfect. Don't let a few bad choices spoil the fun.

But that being said, I think Nintendo hasn't revealed everything just yet. Gotta save some surprises near launch.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Fan's don't have the money, skill, talent, or time to make a good mario kart game.
But they sure as heck know how to outline what a good one needs.
I've looked over a few fan rosters, besides the outlandish ones... they all seemed better then this.

This games success is riding on it's "options" you can set during a match.
The game will sell well regardless, but it may not be a big push the wii u is looking for.
The sad thing is, it wouldn't be hard for most people who had at least a clue of what characters composing the Mario series were to make a better attempt at a roster than this. Seems to me like they weren't even trying with this one, or really just focused all their intentions on other mechanics, rather. The game still looks fun, of course, but so far to me it's lacking in the "polished" factor that would have truly made this iteration stand out in my mind, anyway.

But we'll see.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The sad thing is, it wouldn't be hard for most people who had at least a clue of what characters composing the Mario series were to make a better attempt at a roster than this. Seems to me like they weren't even trying with this one, or really just focused all their intentions on other mechanics, rather. The game still looks fun, of course, but so far to me it's lacking in the "polished" factor that would have truly made this iteration stand out in my mind, anyway.

But we'll see.
It'll be good, but there's so much potential being untouched that it's bothersome to fans.
There should be like item off and on options like in smash, there should be coins on or off options.
There should be so many more game mode options... like a double dash mode, or something... or a death match mode like in sonic racing.
Idk, seems like a small game and its size speaks for itself.

They took away item chaining...

Last edited:

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
It'll be good, but there's so much potential being untouched that it's bothersome to fans.
There should be like item off and on options like in smash, there should be coins on or off options.
There should be so many more game mode options... like a double dash mode, or something... or a death match mode like in sonic racing.
Idk, seems like a small game and its size speaks for itself.
I agree. It just seems like the game could be holstering so much more content-wise, and yet instead, we're left with the same 32-course Grand Prix (which we had since DS), no fully fleshed out single player/mission mode, or unique racing mode with alternative toggable options as you hinted at.

At least there's the chance for downloadable content, but again, we'll see where things go on from here. I'm really hoping this game makes me eat my words in the end.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Mario Kart is a huge game, loved by many, the game has a large player base. The player base is large and diverse with people within it liking certain elements and disliking others. Make these elements options and you increase the enjoyment amongst a wider variety of the player base.

Options
  • Coins - ON / OFF
  • Items - ON / OFF (Perhaps even a list of items like in Smash Bros)
  • Bikes - ON / OFF (Karts only option)
  • Karts - ON / OFF (Bikes only option)
Modes
  • Grand Prix (Local and/ or Online multiplayer co-op up to 4 people)
  • VS (Up to 5 players local with the game pad, 12 players online, and a double dash option)
  • Battle (Matches can be played with Stock, Time, or Points)
  • Tournament
  • Time Trial
Probably forgot a few things but whatever, add it if you like but I think this stuff could have done wonders for the game.
Add fan favourite characters, items, tracks, bring back item chaining.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
My mains are gonna be Baby Daisy, Lemmy, and Yoshi! :) Possibly try some of the others out too. Wonder what kinds of vehicle combinations I can make to my preference :)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Damn! I was kind of hoping for Dry Bones/Diddy Kong/Bowser Jr/Petey/Birdo/Nabbit/E.Gadd/anyone else.

Pink Gold Peach eh? This one is just depressing. It means we're going to be getting more and more 'metal' characters just like we've been getting more and more 'baby' characters...to fill some sort of set quota. Surely there were better options for 'heavy' characters than this? King Boo, Petey Piranha, Plessie(hey they shrunk Honey Queen last time)...

Someone on tumblr just tried to tell me "Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina are not OK because they never existed before Mario Kart". So taking the designs of other baby characters from other games is A-OK, yet inventing a new design for new Baby characters is not? God forbid the developers try to add what little innovation they possibly can to the roster.
I don't find taking Peach's model, swapping the colour and modelling some hair over one eye incredibly innovative honestly. To each their own I guess. But yes I'd of rather they stuck to legit babies like Baby DK and Baby Wario if we really needed more baby characters.

Which we kind of didn't. Because we have 13 lightweights now compared to the 7 middleweights, and 9 heavyweights(not including Mii obviously). Not as balanced as it once was.

Even then I think the majority of the Mario fanbase would much rather have Bowser Jr. and Diddy than 5 babies at this point for lightweight options.

Probably going to go for Yoshi, Toad(both are obvious), Lakitu, Luigi and Ludwig.

I still can't use heavyweights.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I really want all the characters to have individual stats like in MKWii so I can ***** and moan about Yoshi always getting shafted in the stats category nerdgasm with comparisons and character specific kart combos and such.

D

Deleted member

So I've checked the official website and took a look to the roster.

I've remarked that there are 13 Feather-weight drivers : The 5 babies, Toad, Toadette, Koopa Troopa, Lakitu and Shy Guy.

And so, even if it is unlikely as the roster is already bigger than the Wii version one, what characters would you add in the Medium-weight and Heavy-weight categories ?

As we already have 7 drivers in the Medium-weight one and 9 in the Heavy-weight one, and by adding more drivers in order to make a total of 13 in each one and to compensate with the Feather-weight category, I would give :

Medium-weight (6) :
Birdo
Diddy Kong
Bowser Jr.
Kamek
Nabbit
Dixie Kong

Heavy-weight (4) :
King Boo
Funky Kong
Wiggler
Captain Falcon

Again, it is unlikely as the roster is already bigger than the Wii's one, but with EAD Team's will to make the game as balanced as possible, it is not inconceivable either.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Damn! I was kind of hoping for Dry Bones/Diddy Kong/Bowser Jr/Petey/Birdo/Nabbit/E.Gadd/anyone else.

Pink Gold Peach eh? This one is just depressing. It means we're going to be getting more and more 'metal' characters just like we've been getting more and more 'baby' characters...to fill some sort of set quota. Surely there were better options for 'heavy' characters than this? King Boo, Petey Piranha, Plessie(hey they shrunk Honey Queen last time)...

I don't find taking Peach's model, swapping the colour and modelling some hair over one eye incredibly innovative honestly. To each their own I guess. But yes I'd of rather they stuck to legit babies like Baby DK and Baby Wario if we really needed more baby characters.

Which we kind of didn't. Because we have 13 lightweights now compared to the 7 middleweights, and 9 heavyweights(not including Mii obviously). Not as balanced as it once was.

Even then I think the majority of the Mario fanbase would much rather have Bowser Jr. and Diddy than 5 babies at this point for lightweight options.

Probably going to go for Yoshi, Toad(both are obvious), Lakitu, Luigi and Ludwig.

I still can't use heavyweights.
I wasn't talking about Pink Gold Peach, I was talking about Baby Rosalina. I don't understand why Baby Rosalina is such a sin, when it's actually a new design. Technically, her and Baby Daisy are the most "new" characters in the history of Mario Kart, as they were made to debut in Mario Kart. They invented these designs for MK. So why are they shunned for being "unoriginal" when they are literally a new design? No matter how much you love other characters on the roster, saying they are more inventive is flat out wrong, because they've had their designs ripped right out of other games. Not that I have a problem with that, but I'm just pointing out how saying Baby Rosalina is un-inventive is objectively wrong. She may not be inventive in general, but she's more inventive than other characters on the roster, as she is new, and isn't just a re-skin.

And to be perfectly honest, I think complaining about the MK roster is silly. The fact that some people are saying they won't buy the game JUST because of these two characters is just ridiculous. This isn't like Smash, where everyone is supposed to play really differently, and therefore, the roster choices are really important. Everyone plays the same in Mario Kart, just with some stat differences (and even then, they are completely insignificant thanks to the fact you have vehicle customisation now).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I wasn't talking about Pink Gold Peach, I was talking about Baby Rosalina. I don't understand why Baby Rosalina is such a sin, when it's actually a new design. Technically, her and Baby Daisy are the most "new" characters in the history of Mario Kart, as they were made to debut in Mario Kart. They invented these designs for MK. So why are they shunned for being "unoriginal" when they are literally a new design? No matter how much you love other characters on the roster, saying they are more inventive is flat out wrong, because they've had their designs ripped right out of other games. Not that I have a problem with that, but I'm just pointing out how saying Baby Rosalina is un-inventive is objectively wrong. She may not be inventive in general, but she's more inventive than other characters on the roster, as she is new, and isn't just a re-skin.
You forgot Toadette btw, but I can understand your point. I disagree, but I can understand it.

Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina aren't exactly inventive though; take a ready made concept and design(Baby Peach), and alter the model ever so slightly to replicate it for the two other Princesses. Essentially the designs are just Baby Peach with slightly altered hairstyles. That's not a new design. That's like adding wings onto Lakitu and claiming it a totally original character.

I don't really even think Bowser Jr.'s a really inspired design since it's just Baby Bowser with a bib. I guess they added horns too and altered his hair ever so slightly, but compared to the two new baby girls this is mind blowing design work.

Comparatively NSMBWii U/Luigi U were far more creative when designing Nabbit; there's no one within the Marioverse who looks like Nabbit. Totally unique species, unlike anything we've seen before.

And to be perfectly honest, I think complaining about the MK roster is silly. The fact that some people are saying they won't buy the game JUST because of these two characters is just ridiculous. This isn't like Smash, where everyone is supposed to play really differently, and therefore, the roster choices are really important. Everyone plays the same in Mario Kart, just with some stat differences (and even then, they are completely insignificant thanks to the fact you have vehicle customisation now).
However, I basically agree on this. There's still a lot of good characters and really neat picks and it shouldn't put you off buying the game, it's just a shame the Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach(**** name btw) and Baby Rosalina(and the inevitable Mii) were the last characters to be shown.

Although I still think you're allowed to complain about roster choices since it would have altered a really good Mario Kart Roster to the absolute best Mario Kart Roster imaginable.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You forgot Toadette btw, but I can understand your point. I disagree, but I can understand it.

Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina aren't exactly inventive though; take a ready made concept and design(Baby Peach), and alter the model ever so slightly to replicate it for the two other Princesses. Essentially the designs are just Baby Peach with slightly altered hairstyles. That's not a new design. That's like adding wings onto Lakitu and claiming it a totally original character.

I don't really even think Bowser Jr.'s a really inspired design since it's just Baby Bowser with a bib. I guess they added horns too and altered his hair ever so slightly, but compared to the two new baby girls this is mind blowing design work.

Comparatively NSMBWii U/Luigi U were far more creative when designing Nabbit; there's no one within the Marioverse who looks like Nabbit. Totally unique species, unlike anything we've seen before.

However, I basically agree on this. There's still a lot of good characters and really neat picks and it shouldn't put you off buying the game, it's just a shame the Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach(**** name btw) and Baby Rosalina(and the inevitable Mii) were the last characters to be shown.

Although I still think you're allowed to complain about roster choices since it would have altered a really good Mario Kart Roster to the absolute best Mario Kart Roster imaginable.
I didn't say Baby Rosalina and Baby Daisy were inventive per se, but as far as characters in Mario Kart go, yes, they are inventive. Because they are completely new versions of characters, while every other character is just ripped from from the Mario games, or is just a reskin of an already present character. Baby Daisy and Rosalina are second only to Toadette in terms of originality (who I could put forward a similar argument for that people are throwing at Baby Rosalina, in that it's just a pink Toad with a few tweaks to the Toad model. Toadette is a character that never appeared before showing up in Mario Kart though).

And the Baby princesses aren't all the same, they do look different. Rosalina has a lot of distinctive features to her design, and they've applied them to her Baby version where possible. She isn't a reskin of Baby Peach, she's her own thing.

We also have to remember that Mario Kart is not like Smash Bros in the sense that the target audience is older people with Smash Bros. Mario Kart is more child oriented than Smash Bros. Making younger versions of the most notable characters makes complete sense, as young kids really like the Baby characters (some are actually excited for Pink Gold Peach, as well as Baby Rosalina). Isn't the idea of a mother and daughter playing as Rosalina and Baby Rosalina respectively, not kind of adorable (applies to the other Adult/Baby pairs too)?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Toadette is a character that never appeared before showing up in Mario Kart though).
While thats technically true, Toadette was only first officially CALLED that and been given a specific Model/Coloration/Character in Double Dash. Female Toads existed for multiple years prior to Toadette being officially deemed an actual character, so while its true Toadette was TECHNICALLY created in Double Dash, Toadettes (not just this specific one) were a thing for years and the concept wasnt as random and out of nowhere as these Baby versions were due to this.

/nitpicking

I will say though, I dont have a problem with any of the Babies, and as much as I think PGP is a totally random and out of literally nowhere character idea, I at least like it more than Metal Mario (not the name as much cuz its kinda weird to say, but the design imo works better). Would I have prefered other things? Yeah, but its not awful.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I didn't say Baby Rosalina and Baby Daisy were inventive per se, but as far as characters in Mario Kart go, yes, they are inventive. Because they are completely new versions of characters, while every other character is just ripped from from the Mario games, or is just a reskin of an already present character. Baby Daisy and Rosalina are second only to Toadette in terms of originality (who I could put forward a similar argument for that people are throwing at Baby Rosalina, in that it's just a pink Toad with a few tweaks to the Toad model. Toadette is a character that never appeared before showing up in Mario Kart though).

And the Baby princesses aren't all the same, they do look different. Rosalina has a lot of distinctive features to her design, and they've applied them to her Baby version where possible. She isn't a reskin of Baby Peach, she's her own thing.

We also have to remember that Mario Kart is not like Smash Bros in the sense that the target audience is older people with Smash Bros. Mario Kart is more child oriented than Smash Bros. Making younger versions of the most notable characters makes complete sense, as young kids really like the Baby characters (some are actually excited for Pink Gold Peach, as well as Baby Rosalina). Isn't the idea of a mother and daughter playing as Rosalina and Baby Rosalina respectively, not kind of adorable (applies to the other Adult/Baby pairs too)?
Indeed, it's adorable. But a father and son team playing Bowser and Bowser Jr. would also have been adorable with the latter having a larger fanbase. Or DK and Diddy. Who again has a larger fanbase. Both characters are popular with kids too.
Or hell; have Luma as Rosalina's partner; she's their mother figure after all, and Luma's a character/species member in it's own right.

I guess I just don't get why you'd have to make up characters based off old characters when there's alternatives that are both more popular and demanded I guess.

In the case of Toadette, I agree. She's a fairly lazy design too(albeit more creative than recent offerings in metallic, dry or baby forms of existing characters), but she was a necessary character to be added in Double Dash!! due to the partner mechanic. We got Waluigi through similar means for Mario Kart 64.

Edit: Mario Kart 64? I meant Mario Tennis 64. Good lord.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really want all the characters to have individual stats like in MKWii so I can ***** and moan about Yoshi always getting shafted in the stats category nerdgasm with comparisons and character specific kart combos and such.
I hope that you're being sarcastic there. It's bad enough to see everyone using Metal Mario in Mario Kart 7. The last thing we need is for players to always abuse Metal Mario and Metal Peach like crazy.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I hope that you're being sarcastic there. It's bad enough to see everyone using Metal Mario in Mario Kart 7. The last thing we need is for players to always abuse Metal Mario and Metal Peach like crazy.
Yep, I'm a big nay-sayer to character stat bonuses. I got pretty sick of Funky Bike Wii and Daisy Bike Wii. I say pick whoever the heck you feel like and rely purely on your kart / bike customisation to dictate your stats, and that's it.

Gavitro

Smash Cadet
Yep, I'm a big nay-sayer to character stat bonuses. I got pretty sick of Funky Bike Wii and Daisy Bike Wii. I say pick whoever the heck you feel like and rely purely on your kart / bike customisation to dictate your stats, and that's it.
That would just mean everyone keeps using the same kat/bike/ATV combination for every race. The character choices kinda balance this out, really.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Indeed, it's adorable. But a father and son team playing Bowser and Bowser Jr. would also have been adorable with the latter having a larger fanbase. Or DK and Diddy. Who again has a larger fanbase. Both characters are popular with kids too.
Or hell; have Luma as Rosalina's partner; she's their mother figure after all, and Luma's a character/species member in it's own right.

I guess I just don't get why you'd have to make up characters based off old characters when there's alternatives that are both more popular and demanded I guess.

In the case of Toadette, I agree. She's a fairly lazy design too(albeit more creative than recent offerings in metallic, dry or baby forms of existing characters), but she was a necessary character to be added in Double Dash!! due to the partner mechanic. We got Waluigi through similar means for Mario Kart 64.
There's no point going on about "better alternatives" yet (BTW Baby Rosalina was likely added BECAUSE Rosalina is really popular). There could still be unlockables and DLC characters. Plus, I do recall a hint of at least Birdo being in the game, so I do highly doubt this is the full roster. Again, it should be noted that MKWii had NO indication of there being unlockable characters on the character select screen (I can't speak for the other games because the only other MK games I had a lot of time with were MKDS and MK Double Dash, and my memory is hazy regarding those).

Also they don't really need to make Luma it's own character. Didn't Luma just accompany Rosalina in MKWii? They should have just done that again. That omission was strange to me.

And we really need not bring "larger fanbase" arguments into Mario Kart roster discussions. It may have some relevance when talking about Smash (even then, it's not a whole lot), but Mario Kart has generic grunts from the main games as racers. I'm completely fine with that, but they don't have a "fan base" as such. Again, the roster should not be a big deal. As long as they have all of the staples from the main series Mario games plus Daisy, Donkey Kong, and Wario, anyone else should be fair game. At that point, it's just a matter of who the dev team want to put in, or can find the time to put in.

And I think it's really unfair to shun character additions just because they are a variant of another character in the case of MK, and say they are "lazy" or "unworthy". I dislike the Metal variants because they ARE lazy. But the babies are adorable, and Dry Bowser was hardcore (and he does look really distinct compared to regular Bowser).

LF2K

Floor Diver
I got so sick of Funky and Daisy. It got annoying going into a lobby, and everyone else was either Funky or Daisy.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
There's no point going on about "better alternatives" yet (BTW Baby Rosalina was likely added BECAUSE Rosalina is really popular). There could still be unlockables and DLC characters. Plus, I do recall a hint of at least Birdo being in the game, so I do highly doubt this is the full roster. Again, it should be noted that MKWii had NO indication of there being unlockable characters on the character select screen (I can't speak for the other games because the only other MK games I had a lot of time with were MKDS and MK Double Dash, and my memory is hazy regarding those).
Yeah, maybe they've held back with characters people wanted for DLC in order to get more sales. Sneaky, but it'll probably work if they put Diddy, Bowser Jr and Birdo(to a lesser extent) in a pack since the three are pretty popular. Maybe we'll get Petey, King Boo or Nabbit too.

Baby Rosalina was added because they're shoe horning her in everywhere they can at the moment. Kind of like when they shoved Petey in everything. Only difference is she'll probably be around for a while and not fade out of spinoffs like he did.

Yoshi's also popular, and my favourite character of all time, but ffs do not add Baby Yoshi into the next Mario Kart Nintendo. Or Baby Toad. I'll let Baby Wario and DK slide since they're big parts of Yoshi's Island DS like Baby Peach was.

And I think it's really unfair to shun character additions just because they are a variant of another character in the case of MK, and say they are "lazy" or "unworthy". I dislike the Metal variants because they ARE lazy. But the babies are adorable, and Dry Bowser was hardcore (and he does look really distinct compared to regular Bowser).
To be fair I think it's really unfair to shun character additions people want in order to add OCs that are just remodelled versions of other characters.

I'm not alone in this judging by the general reaction to Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach.

As you said though maybe a DLC pack will fix this up anyway. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, maybe they've held back with characters people wanted for DLC in order to get more sales. Sneaky, but it'll probably work if they put Diddy, Bowser Jr and Birdo(to a lesser extent) in a pack since the three are pretty popular. Maybe we'll get Petey, King Boo or Nabbit too.

Baby Rosalina was added because they're shoe horning her in everywhere they can at the moment. Kind of like when they shoved Petey in everything. Only difference is she'll probably be around for a while and not fade out of spinoffs like he did.

Yoshi's also popular, and my favourite character of all time, but ffs do not add Baby Yoshi into the next Mario Kart Nintendo. Or Baby Toad. I'll let Baby Wario and DK slide since they're big parts of Yoshi's Island DS like Baby Peach was.

To be fair I think it's really unfair to shun character additions people want in order to add OCs that are just remodelled versions of other characters.

I'm not alone in this judging by the general reaction to Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach.

As you said though maybe a DLC pack will fix this up anyway. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
They're not shoe horning her. Shoe horning is when you put them in places they don't make sense. But why shouldn't Rosalina be included in Mario games that are a celebration of the franchise, when she is a main character? Honestly, I feel at this point, people are just looking for someone to point the finger at when certain characters don't make the cut in Mario Kart and Smash, and Rosalina has been the unlucky choice for some reason. People go on about how she has "been in everything", but she's only been in 10 games (including the ones that have yet to be released, but we know she is in). 3 main series games, 4 Mario Kart games, and 3 other games (including Smash). In three of these appearances, she is not playable. The amount of games Rosalina has been in at least fits on my computer screen very easily. And she has skipped out on plenty of games since her debut, including 3 Mario Party games (and even in the one she is in, she is not playable), 3D Land, various sports games (one of which she was supposed to be in, but was cut from), the Mario & Sonic games, and more. Yet, Birdo's appearances can't even fit on my monitor screen. Same will be said about many other characters people are getting worked up about.

Also, Baby Yoshis actually canonically exist in plenty of games, I don't see how they are an unjustified addition. Heck, Baby Yoshi debuted with Yoshi in Super Mario World.

And I'm not shunning characters people like. I have no problem with any Mario Kart characters besides Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach. I don't care about Daisy at all (and find her very overrated and kind of annoying), for example, yet I've always been OK with Baby Daisy. I just don't like how people are pinning the blame on Rosalina when there is no precedence to blame the absence of other characters from various games on her. Some characters get in. Some don't. That's just how it is. It's no reason to start getting angry at certain characters for no reason, or to not buy the game over.

And let's pretend Diddy, Bowser.Jr, etc, aren't in this game at all, and that they definitely won't be DLC - won't that make their inevitable return to the series all the more exciting in the next game?

LF2K

Floor Diver
I just noticed, thanks to Baby Rosalina, we now know Rosalina does have a right eye! :p

Top Bottom