• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Hosting Smash at my house this WEDNESDAY Nov 24 and this will be a special all day event, from 11am to 11pm. I will probably order food or drive to get food some time in the late afternoon.

Tell people to come, and if they can't come for the whole day that's fine.

Reply please so I can have an estimate of who's coming. I already know that MJG, Fino, and Quote are down for this and it's a definite possibility for Stealth as well.

Duckersmsh3

Smash Cadet
im coming and that tv i promised comes with a free sround system otherwise nebraska furniture mart is just going to haul it away and trash it.\
edit: bring setups i dont want us tto be there all day with no consoles'

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I'll bring my wii and my tiny tv. But I'm not coming until around 7. I work until 6pm. So however long it takes for me to grab some food, drive out there, and such is when I'll be around.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the FINAL deal for my car (hopefully) will come down tomorrow. ill be late, earliest ill be able to talk to this lady is 2, so ill be able to stop by after that with my new car :D

DeLux

Today I beat someone with my TL.

It was on wifi.

They were playing Ganondorf.

It was REALLY close though.

I'm making progress.

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
Haven't heard from Ares ... Quote and Ducker it turns out I actually have stuff to do tomorrow, I'll have it all done by like 1-2pm (also you're the only ones able to come that early) so you guys better off waiting till then before showing up as it'll be pretty quiet here.

beam913

Smash Rookie
next available JCCC smash? if not then whens the next possible get together in general? im free whenever i would just like a date to commit to.

Dnyce

Smash Master
next available JCCC smash? if not then whens the next possible get together in general? im free whenever i would just like a date to commit to.
If only you knew how to read threads =/
We had a long *** one today, you missed out on it. Next one prob gunna be monday.

Smash Lord
Aww man. This makes me sad seeing this now. We had a third setup and everything today too.
But yeah, try to keep reading the thread throughout the week. Duck almost always posts info/confirmation the day of. The address of where we play is in the first post.

Hey beam, who's your main for 64?

DeLux

Problem: Still no pronunciation guide.
Solution: Collllllllllllllinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Problem: No Koast and WGF 6 are the same days. Which one should I go to? I can't be at both places at once to do all the losing.

Also does anyone want to go to Nebraska with me on December 11?

Dnyce

Smash Master
Problem: Still no pronunciation guide.
Solution: Collllllllllllllinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Problem: No Koast and WGF 6 are the same days. Which one should I go to? I can't be at both places at once to do all the losing.

Also does anyone want to go to Nebraska with me on December 11?
Travel half way across the country orrrrrr travel 2 hours to wichita... lol. I'm going to No Koast, idk bout you ;o

Also, what's in nebraska on the 11th?

DeLux

I actually live about and hour and a half drive from UCSD if I go back to CA for the week. I don't know how good CA is, but it looks like it could be a huge tourney. I think if I can't get more than the Friday-Sunday off, I'm going to take care of some stuff back home. If I only get the weekend, I'll go to No Koast.

Some tiny *** monthly. They said they want us to bring as many people as possible, and I'm just looking to try out some stuff I've been working on in actual gameplay. Also, I might try to bring 3 or 4 of the guys I've been teaching to play out in Lawrence. Unless you wanted to host another tourney at the CC and get all of KU and JCCC advertised, it seems like a fun option.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285340&page=29

Smash Lord
I actually live about and hour and a half drive from UCSD if I go back to CA for the week. I don't know how good CA is, but it looks like it could be a huge tourney. I think if I can't get more than the Friday-Sunday off, I'm going to take care of some stuff back home. If I only get the weekend, I'll go to No Koast.

Some tiny *** monthly. They said they want us to bring as many people as possible, and I'm just looking to try out some stuff I've been working on in actual gameplay. Also, I might try to bring 3 or 4 of the guys I've been teaching to play out in Lawrence. Unless you wanted to host another tourney at the CC and get all of KU and JCCC advertised, it seems like a fun option.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285340&page=29
Fighting games are a huge deal in CA. I would expect high level competition regardless of the game. I could be wrong, but I think that Mike Haze and Tyrant play there along with a few others I can't think of but are ranked pretty highly. I'm pretty sure that Ken and Isai came out of CA, but that's a different game.

When do you run stuff in Lawrence? This week and last week there were a few days I wanted to play, but couldn't. Can you post stuff here about when you're meeting and stuff so I can at least know about it?

I might be interested in that trip if the car is too crowded and I can figure out how things are planned out.

DeLux

We actually haven't gotten together in a bit just because I've been busy with work and then looking at Smashlab stuff and my CG project. But I'll try to post in here and give two days notice every time so you can plan accordingly.

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
I got a private message from a new account asking about meetings, and this was someone else besides Beam913.

Kansas crew growing maybe? About time.

Soon we will have gone an entire year without affiliation with JCCC and I don't foresee any returning to there. That said, we should probably consider changing the name and first post of this thread to something more appropriate. Speaking of the first post, Danny it still says Tuesday when it should be Monday.

I have no idea what to name it. Ideas?

DeLux

I vote for "Watercooler GO!" or "Team Work Makes the Dream Work" or "Bad @ Brawl"

Smash Lord
I got a private message from a new account asking about meetings, and this was someone else besides Beam913.

Kansas crew growing maybe? About time.

Soon we will have gone an entire year without affiliation with JCCC and I don't foresee any returning to there. That said, we should probably consider changing the name and first post of this thread to something more appropriate. Speaking of the first post, Danny it still says Tuesday when it should be Monday.

I have no idea what to name it. Ideas?
*snicker*. I said somthing along these lines about I don't know, 20 pages back. KC/Lenexa Smash thread.

Important points: It needs KC in title. It gets more recognition that way because everyone has heard of it and knows where it is. Don't call it exclusively brawl/melee etc. That pushes people away. And don't name it gameFAQs.

EDIT: or anything else that's some random anecdote/inside joke/random X that has nothing descriptive about this thread.

I noticed the Tuesday thing too. It's a potential problem.

DeLux

Since it's Lenexa/KC, that means I'm not in the "crew" correct? I mean, that assumes I make the cut in the first place, which is assuming a lot.

Smash Lord
Since it's Lenexa/KC, that means I'm not in the "crew" correct? I mean, that assumes I make the cut in the first place, which is assuming a lot.
I'm only saying that because it's where we meet. That makes sense right? And besides, I'm technically from Leavenworth anyway and I don't feel excluded.

DeLux

Random and kind of off topic:

I remember someone mentioning that you can't platform drop from shield because of spot dodge. I think it was Michael that said this. I wanted to correct them immediately, but I tried to do it in match and couldn't get it to work (yes, I test things like that while playing, probably why I'm in the Lab and can't win real matches to save my life). It's definitely possible.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292308

I'm not sure if any of us plays a character that we would want access to tilts out of dash. (Well, I don't at least since I play IC's and will trade 7 frames of DSC for the wavedash like movement properties.) Too bad none of us main DDD/Snake/Insert character that uses tilts extensively to kill things. inb4utiltthundernonsense

BTW, if you guys ever wanted something frame tested or tech tested, let me know :)

ALSO: I have room in my car for two more people for Nebraska. As of now, it's Fino, my friend from Lawrence, myself, and possibly another Lawrence friend. That leaves 2 spots in my 6 person van. If we get enough people, it could cut gas cost down to like $12 a person and it's at some dude's house so there's no venue fee and it's only $5 to enter.

Smash Lord
Random and kind of off topic:

I remember someone mentioning that you can't platform drop from shield because of spot dodge. I think it was Michael that said this. I wanted to correct them immediately, but I tried to do it in match and couldn't get it to work (yes, I test things like that while playing, probably why I'm in the Lab and can't win real matches to save my life). It's definitely possible.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292308

I'm not sure if any of us plays a character that we would want access to tilts out of dash. (Well, I don't at least since I play IC's and will trade 7 frames of DSC for the wavedash like movement properties.) Too bad none of us main DDD/Snake/Insert character that uses tilts extensively to kill things. inb4utiltthundernonsense

BTW, if you guys ever wanted something frame tested or tech tested, let me know :)

ALSO: I have room in my car for two more people for Nebraska. As of now, it's Fino, my friend from Lawrence, myself, and possibly another Lawrence friend. That leaves 2 spots in my 6 person van. If we get enough people, it could cut gas cost down to like $12 a person and it's at some dude's house so there's no venue fee and it's only $5 to enter.
I'm interested in this.

Also, I was complaining about it because you have to drop your shield (lag) before you can tap down to set up an airial. I don't really think that there's anything I can do about it because there's no wavedashing in this game. Jumping, jump cancelling into moves and grabs are the only way to get out of your shield without lag. Unless I'm missing something.

EDIT: The new AT probably won't help me because I actually want to do an airal. Apparently it is possible to drop on a platform in shield but I really don't know how.

beam913

Smash Rookie
Alright i'll just explain some stuff. Sorry i didn't look through the thread. Anyway i have an n64 and 2 controllers. For N64 I main whoever i feel at the time. Usually just between Fox Link and Falcon. I also havent played my N64 in almost a year. But thanks for inspiring me to get it back. I live right up the street from the edwards campus. I'm open to hosting but we might be selling the house so im not sure. If i do end up moving i'll still be local. A have a gamecube and a wii. I don't play brawl all that much at all. I play Falco in melee. I'm excited to play with other people though and this seems fun. I'll try to keep current.

DeLux

EDIT: The new AT probably won't help me because I actually want to do an airal. apparently it is possible to drop on a platform in shield but I really don't know how.
If tilt your shield down fast enough, you will platform drop OoS without shield dropping.. However, most characters have a few platform drop IASA frames which makes it LIKE shield dropping. At the same time, most characters also have a jump IASA, etc etc. But it would actually be easier to do an aerial with that tech that it is to do a tilt from my understanding.

Also, did you want to go with us to Nebraska?

Smash Lord
If tilt your shield down fast enough, you will platform drop OoS without shield dropping.. However, most characters have a few platform drop IASA frames which makes it LIKE shield dropping. At the same time, most characters also have a jump IASA, etc etc. But it would actually be easier to do an aerial with that tech that it is to do a tilt from my understanding.

Also, did you want to go with us to Nebraska?
If the whole trip costs around 20$ and I run it by my folks then I'll probably do it. I need to check the day/schedule again. As long as it's on a weekend I probably wouldn't have problems but you never know.

What time are you leaving and planning to get back?

Top Bottom