• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

Smash Lord
I keep forgetting to mention it, but a friend of mine told me about a game group in Leavenworth that just formed. Allegedly it has 50 or so members. I don't know how many people are in it, but I think it could be a good excuse to start a smash scene in Leavenworth. I'm not a member of this group or affiliated with it in any way currently, but, if I wanted to try to go about this and start a smash scene in Leavenworth, I want to know how to go about it. I could probably assume that anyone that does play there doesn't go to smashboards. I need to know everything, how to generate interest, how to turn casuals into serious players, and any other information that is less than obvious.

I have two or three friends I play against down here. One has expressed for sure interest in starting something, one is an ex-melee player I run into every now and then, and I know a few other people that play from time to time but aren't always able to do things due to personal circumstances.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If the whole trip costs around 20$ and I run it by my folks then I'll probably do it. I need to check the day/schedule again. As long as it's on a weekend I probably wouldn't have problems but you never know.

what time are you leaving and planning to get back?
It's on December 11th. I plan to leave Lawrence around 8am that Saturday. It'll cost about $66 in gas both ways depending on if we take my van or not. So if we divide that by 4, that's $16.50 a piece. Tack on $5-10 depending on if you want to do singles/doubles. I might have a 5th person coming, so it might even been a little cheaper, but that's a maybe. Just figure in food or pack a lunch and you're within your budget :)

I hope to leave as soon as the tourney is done/whenever people are done playing friendlies. It doesn't matter to me too much how long we stay as long as we get the tourney in since I don't have work the following day.

I keep forgetting to mention it, but a friend of mine told me about a game group in Leavenworth that just formed. Allegedly it has 50 or so members. I don't know how many people are in it, but I think it could be a good excuse to start a smash scene in Leavenworth. I'm not a member of this group or affiliated with it in any way currently, but, if I wanted to try to go about this and start a smash scene in Leavenworth, I want to know how to go about it. I could probably assume that anyone that does play there doesn't go to smashboards. I need to know everything, how to generate interest, how to turn casuals into serious players, and any other information that is less than obvious.

I have two or three friends I play against down here. One has expressed for sure interest in starting something, one is an ex-melee player I run into every now and then, and I know a few other people that play from time to time but aren't always able to do things due to personal circumstances.
Based on my experience, of the 50 people, you might be able to pull like 3 of them to play competitively rather than just screwing around like most normal do when they play this game. That being said, it doesn't hurt to give it a shot, just don't expect huge return rates immediately.

In my opinion, we ought to combine the 3L's (Lawrence, Lenexa, and Leavenworth) and combine it into one scene. That way we can pool our resources of talent and build our skill level faster than we could if were split into small factions. Hopefully Fino gets his stuff together and starts hosting those biweeklies.

What would be awesome is if we eventually do get it biweekly, schedule it so one week of the month is exclusive to our scene, the other week being open to the region. That leaves two weeks of the month where some of us can go to the bigger tournies. If Fino isn't going to run tournies anymore, I can start looking for a Lawrence venue. However, the Lenexa area is more of a middle ground than Lawrence or Leavenworth in terms of keeping travel cheap. If we got a solid scene of 15 quality guys, I'm sure venue could be covered.

Rosters:

Leavenworth:
+friends

Lenexa:
Stealth (pika)
PD (rob)
Fino (Oli)
Ares (Fal)
Ares brother (mk)
Scrub (mk)

Lawrence:
Lux (IC)
Metal (Pika)
Emar (Oli)
+ whoever else I can recruit. I have 4 people that play with the three of us, but it's us three listed that show real desire to be "competitive" despite us being terrible.

That doesn't mention local people that showed up at that last tourney:
I remember a ness player, olimar player, and luigi. MJG and AA if they come out of the woodwork once in a while.

So if you think about it, we're already half way there. We might not be Wichita level yet, but given enough time, we could get there.

If we picked up a couple people to play Diddy, Snake, etc, we'd actually have a VERY deep scene in terms of character diversity.

Smash Lord
It's on December 11th. I plan to leave Lawrence around 8am that Saturday. It'll cost about $66 in gas both ways depending on if we take my van or not. So if we divide that by 4, that's $16.50 a piece. Tack on $5-10 depending on if you want to do singles/doubles. I might have a 5th person coming, so it might even been a little cheaper, but that's a maybe. Just figure in food or pack a lunch and you're within your budget :)

I hope to leave as soon as the tourney is done/whenever people are done playing friendlies. It doesn't matter to me too much how long we stay as long as we get the tourney in since I don't have work the following day.

Based on my experience, of the 50 people, you might be able to pull like 3 of them to play competitively rather than just screwing around like most normal do when they play this game. That being said, it doesn't hurt to give it a shot, just don't expect huge return rates immediately.

In my opinion, we ought to combine the 3L's (Lawrence, Lenexa, and Leavenworth) and combine it into one scene. That way we can pool our resources of talent and build our skill level faster than we could if were split into small factions. Hopefully Fino gets his stuff together and starts hosting those biweeklies.

What would be awesome is if we eventually do get it biweekly, schedule it so one week of the month is exclusive to our scene, the other week being open to the region. That leaves two weeks of the month where some of us can go to the bigger tournies. If Fino isn't going to run tournies anymore, I can start looking for a Lawrence venue. However, the Lenexa area is more of a middle ground than Lawrence or Leavenworth in terms of keeping travel cheap. If we got a solid scene of 15 quality guys, I'm sure venue could be covered.

Rosters:

Leavenworth:
+friends

Lenexa:
Stealth (pika)
PD (rob)
Fino (Oli)
Ares (Fal)
Ares brother (mk)
Scrub (mk)

Lawrence:
Lux (IC)
Metal (Pika)
Emar (Oli)
+ whoever else I can recruit. I have 4 people that play with the three of us, but it's us three listed that show real desire to be "competitive" despite us being terrible.

That doesn't mention local people that showed up at that last tourney:
I remember a ness player, olimar player, and luigi. MJG and AA if they come out of the woodwork once in a while.

So if you think about it, we're already half way there. We might not be Wichita level yet, but given enough time, we could get there.

If we picked up a couple people to play Diddy, Snake, etc, we'd actually have a VERY deep scene in terms of character diversity.
Couple of things.

3 out of the 50? Yeah I expect about that much, or less. From my experience the best source for video games is to dig into nerd communities so this sounded like a solid idea. I don't know if any of you guys do trading card games, D&D, Warhammer and stuff, but that's really the best place to look for recruitment. I kind of found this out because there's this place in Leavenworth that has all of these groups intermingling. One thing led to another, and I had a group to play smash with for a while... that died out like 6 months later.

Something to note: biweeklies aren't as important as smashfests. I actually had a smash scene going on with biweeklies for a while in Leavenworth (not highly competitive). Venues are always a hassle, people run low on money over time, you can't always just sit and play friendlies till 5 in the morning. Stuff like this always piles up. Tournaments require more than 8 regular attendees. If you don't hit that number every time there ceases to be a reason to hold the tournament.

I could try to relearn how to play snake. He was always fun in my opinion. I like not having to wait till 150%+ damage to kill all the time.

DeLux

Couple of things.

3 out of the 50? Yeah I expect about that much, or less. From my experience the best source for video games is to dig into nerd communities so this sounded like a solid idea. I don't know if any of you guys do trading card games, D&D, Warhammer and stuff, but that's really the best place to look for recruitment. I kind of found this out because there's this place in Leavenworth that has all of these groups intermingling. One thing led to another, and I had a group to play smash with for a while... that died out like 6 months later.

Something to note: biweeklies aren't as important as smashfests. I actually had a smash scene going on with biweeklies for a while in Leavenworth (not highly competitive). Venues are always a hassle, people run low on money over time, you can't always just sit and play friendlies till 5 in the morning. Stuff like this always piles up. Tournaments require more than 8 regular attendees. If you don't hit that number every time there ceases to be a reason to hold the tournament.

I could try to relearn how to play snake. He was always fun in my opinion. I like not having to wait till 150%+ damage to kill all the time.
There's something to say about tournament play that friendlies don't replicate.

For example: When I practice my Wario, I don't run clock like I would in tournament setting. I play for fun their and not to win. Or I play to test things that I might use later in tourney.

I'm not saying get rid of smashfests, more like advocating biweekly tournaments to supplement current smash fests.

Like if you looked at a schedule for a month:

Week 1: Lenexa Smashfest Monday, Lawrence Smashfest Tuesday, Leavenworth Smashfest Wednesday, Local only Biweekly tourney Saturday
Week 2: Lenexa Monday, Lawrence Tuesday, Leavenworth Wednesday, Out of state tourney or off weekend
Week 3: Lenexa Monday, Lawrence Tuesday, Leavenworth Wednesday, Regional monthly tourney held in our local venue Saturday
Week 4: Smashfests respectively, Large tournies or off weekends

I agree we need more than 8. I'm thinking the MINIMUM would be 15. But if we broke into 3 crews of the same local scene, that's 5 people from each crew. Lenexa is already set. Lawrence is half way their. That just leaves you in Leavenworth.

We could be doing so much more to step our games up.

ALSO: Has anyone been to one of these gaming at the Library things? I keep getting emails about it from the Lawrence Public Library, and Kansas City has a similar one.

http://calendar.kansascity.com/event/id/E0-001-028347457-5/teen-gaming-the-library

Might be a possible recruitment tool. I'd check out the Lawrence one, but it's on the same day as Nebraska. So maybe next month

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
CONFIRMATION: Smash in my basement 12611 W. 81st Terrace from 5:30 to 11:00 tonight (monday)

Crikey. Someone please give me the tl;dr of posts #2236 to #2244 ...

Beam at my place I've already got 2 N64's, 2 GCN's and 3 tv's. The only system we're ever in need of is wiis since I actually don't own one.

I love you guys but put away your trash (Stealth) and don't open a pop can and leave it 90% full. The latter bugs me more fyi.

Smash Lord
Hey last week I picked up an extra wiimote. I'm bringing it this week. I think that it's Danny's but it could be Lux's so go ahead and check please. I'll be there but I don't know when. I went to bed, closed my eyes and waited for 6 hours to fall asleep and didn't. I'll probably need some sleep after class before I come.

Smash Lord
Summary of 2236-2244:

AT/technical ability discussion.

Lux has one seat left in his van to a Nebraska smash event next week.

Me trying to start a smash scene in Leavenworth. I need advice.

Lux is digging for more people in Lawrence.

Lots of business discussion. Probably worth at least skimming over.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Wgis all gna b at blakes today? I should b aable to show up round 630ish..dont expect a settup from me tho..we just walk in then?

DeLux

I should be coming late tonight. And I might be bringing out Metal from Lawrence, but not promises as of yet.

DeLux

yes, if he does come, PLEASE teach him. I don't know how to play Pikachu enough to help outside of, "If they are falco, you chain grab the **** out of him; and Utilt to thunder thunder thundercat ho; and be REAL fast with Quick Attack" haha

Smash Lord
Just got home and I feel like absolute crap. Expect tons of johns from me today and forgive me later.

I think I'll probably leave without that nap I wanted to take, but whatever, you guys need the setup.

EDIT: Did Blake say something about not ringing the doorbell last time?

DeLux

With my smashlab status, I am going to attempt to name random techniques arbitrary names.

ALSO: Ares, you can't do all the IC AT's. AKA chaingrabbing

inb4Ican'tchaingrabeither

DeLux

I don't know. But PLEASE don't main Kirby :(

He's like metaknight. But without the transcendental priority, frame safety, disjointedness, ground speed, forward roll, gliding, momentum cancelling, every special being great for recover, invincibility, invisibility, sword, wings, mask, and song.

Aka, everything that makes metaknight da bess

Ares

Smash Journeyman
technically i "can" chaingrab..just not consistently lol ..and if i knew what all your abbreviations for desynchs were i'd do those too :p

Ares

Smash Journeyman
prolly bthrow the most. But idk if i should take te time to learn it..ICs is really the only MU (against falco) that i have trouble with..and theres no way i would seriously do ics dittos lol..i just mess around with the chaingrabbing for fun..
im watching mj vs hylain right now to see how the TL vs ICs works..and i see what i was doing wrong as him.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Alright i'll just explain some stuff. Sorry i didn't look through the thread. Anyway i have an n64 and 2 controllers. For N64 I main whoever i feel at the time. Usually just between Fox Link and Falcon. I also havent played my N64 in almost a year. But thanks for inspiring me to get it back. I live right up the street from the edwards campus. I'm open to hosting but we might be selling the house so im not sure. If i do end up moving i'll still be local. A have a gamecube and a wii. I don't play brawl all that much at all. I play Falco in melee. I'm excited to play with other people though and this seems fun. I'll try to keep current.
I play 64, i main fox, falcon and pika. I play melee, main falco/falcon. we need to play.

DeLux

I'm hosting in Lawrence after 6pm tomorrow (aka wednesday night). So if you want to come text me.

Please let me know so I know if I need to arrange for a bigger venue or not

Smash Lord
This happened to me today except it was my own bomb. I was kind of mad afterwards.

I don't know. But PLEASE don't main Kirby :(

He's like metaknight. But without the transcendental priority, frame safety, disjointedness, ground speed, forward roll, gliding, momentum cancelling, every special being great for recover, invincibility, invisibility, sword, wings, mask, and song.

Aka, everything that makes metaknight da bess
And the character physics are significantly different, meaning he's easier for me to space with. Additionally his kill moves are pretty easy to land in my opinion. It's subtle, but right now I definitely would take comfortability over anything else. Right now he seems to have a lot of tools I like: an excellent spacing move, an adaptable recovery, multiple jumps so I can double jump without getting punished so heavily, a short short hop, A fast moveset, a decent in air kill move a decent on ground kill move etc.

Besides if I have major problems I can use secondaries.

Smash Lord
I feel terrible right now. I was going to come until I got home. I'm dead tired. I played smash at my house for about five minutes before I started to rage and scream bull**** a lot. I wouldn't be fun to be around, so I'm not making it out to Lawrence tonight. Sorry Lux. I'll make it next week If you hold one then.

DeLux

We're actually instead of hosting a tournament, going to hit Nebraska for a tournament on the 11th. Not sure when the next local one is, but you're more than welcome to come with us to this one if you want. It's fairly small and would be good exp.

DeLux

It would end up being super close. Is there any way you can get that day off?

Ares

Smash Journeyman
You may have forgotten who I am, but its rockstar. Ive shown up to all of Finos recent tourneys. You guys can surely count on me if theres gonna be a tourney in lenexa/ overlausnd park. I was curios when fino was gonna host another tourney? I heard rumors of a possible by weekly?
Hey man..we have smashfests on mondays at Perfect Duck's place..you should come through next monday, you'd get some good practice in (for free :)) ..5:30pm - 11:00pm is when we have it..

DeLux

Well if anyone else wants to go, we still have spots open in the car. It's about as cheap as it's gonna get for an OoS tourney.

DeLux

I was kidding too. I listed his song as one of his positive qualities.

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
CONFIRMATION: Smash in my basement tonight Monday 5:30pm-11:00pm. Directions to my place are on first post.

I remember the Rockstar who came in with a Ness and completely messed with my mind.

People who bring their wii are 100% not losers

I have re-arranged my room a little to better accomodate three setups and in general more people. I think everyone will like the change, less cramped. This new arrangement also opens up the possibility of getting COUCHES OH MAN. I'm watching craigslist and thrift stores for anything big, comfy, and cheap.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
I'll be there around 630ish as usual. I'll bring my wii this time (even though for some reason i get "Disc cannot be read" most of the time ROB is chosen..idk why) ..so itll b a last resort setup if we get that many people.

edit: nvm guys..cant come today sorry

Smash Lord
I'll be there around 630ish as usual. I'll bring my wii this time (even though for some reason i get "Disc cannot be read" most of the time ROB is chosen..idk why) ..so itll b a last resort setup if we get that many people.
I'll be up there at around the same time, with a setup.

EDIT: I wanna play N64 today. I haven't played it in too long.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Yeah this is my legit account. Its Rockstar. Damn I wanna go sooooo badly, but I don't have a ride today. My cars in the shop right now so I dont have a way to get there. FML. I wish I could make it guys.

Top Bottom