• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How to fully maximize the Smash Bros gameplay experience on the 3DS: Using a Controller-style Grip

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
i dreamed someone would come up with something like this since tilts are really hard to do , i always end up doing a smash.no to mention how slippery it gets if you hands get sweaty like mine do. the gc grips look sexy

so my dream is already ruined?!? :'(
I'd like do know about this as well, can these be bought anywhere outside of japan? Also besides on Amazon since I can't buy from them from Australia

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I'd like do know about this as well, can these be bought anywhere outside of japan? Also besides on Amazon since I can't buy from them from Australia
I found some on eBay by searching for "circle pad cover". The ones I found are made by a company called Cyber Slide. I realize that you're in Australia, but here's what I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251490820822?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have not tested these myself so I can't vouch for them, but I am definitely leaning towards getting them.

Last edited:

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
I found some on eBay by searching for "circle pad cover". The ones I found are made by a company called Cyber Slide. I realize that you're in Australia, but here's what I found on eBay:

I have not tested these myself so I can't vouch for them, but I am definitely leaning towards getting them.
Ah thanks, these ship to Australia so I'll give them a shot. They look like a knock off of the gametech ones.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Hey man!

You weren't kidding about the cheap feel, but what's funny is that despite it feeling like a flea market spider-guy knock-off action figure it does feel sturdy, and it does not feel like it'll break. Only piece I don't care for is the game-card slot cover (and it's also rather unnecessary, don't you think?) as it's on a cheap hinge and doesn't seem like it will stay.

It's taken a minute to adjust again (just based on how I grip now, it's very different from how I was playing the demo this weekend), but I highly recommend it as well. The triggers feel AMAZING, and I finally feel comfortable shielding.

One bit of caution - be careful about removing your XL from the grip - something about it feels a little worrisome like it may scratch the top of your 3DS (though it didn't when I took mine out), but honestly I doubt I'll ever take it out again. It's true, this console will no longer fit in your pocket, but I always found the XL to be suspect when it came to pockets, anyhow. I don't do cargo shorts. We don't do cargo shorts in NYC.

I dig this grip.

Anyway, some photos -

What I like is that with my black XL they look like they belong together

Pretty typical ergonomic groove, but it is rather thick.

There's a diagonal slot for your stylus. Kinda weird, but eh, whatever

Adds no real weight to the unit and feels comfortable enough to hold in one hand.

As a bonus, my cat decided to pose for all of you.

That's not a chair, *******!
Nice. Ya the game slot cover is weird and kinda unnecessary. Oh well.

I actually like how the stylus goes in the grip. But that's just me.

The triggers change everything. It's like a new system almost.

I like the black on black. Reminds me of the bat mobile or something. Your 3ds is all kinds of murdered out.

Last edited:

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
Nice. Ya the game slot cover is weird and kinda unnecessary. Oh well.

I actually like how the stylus goes in the grip. But that's just me.

The triggers change everything. It's like a new system almost.

I like the black on black. Reminds me of the bat mobile or something. Your 3ds is all kinds of murdered out.
I have mine ordered and it should be here within a week. I have to admit, it feels really weird playing on a handheld sometimes. I'm hoping the triggers make as big of a difference as I'm hoping.

I know this might be a dumb question but does anyone know if the grip would interfere with your WiFi connection? I was having some lag last night (couldn't tell if it was me or my friend) and I was paranoid the grip might be hindering my connection.

EDIT: Also! I found this GameTech grip that includes an alternate back grip as well as circle pad covers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hand-Gr...215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e92b36117

$36 for an official GameTech grip plus all of those extras seems like a decent deal, especially since it's shipping from Japan! The cheapest official GameTech grip (without the extras) that I've seen on eBay was like $43 with shipping.

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I have mine ordered and it should be here within a week. I have to admit, it feels really weird playing on a handheld sometimes. I'm hoping the triggers make as big of a difference as I'm hoping.

I know this might be a dumb question but does anyone know if the grip would interfere with your WiFi connection? I was having some lag last night (couldn't tell if it was me or my friend) and I was paranoid the grip might be hindering my connection.

EDIT: Also! I found this GameTech grip that includes an alternate back grip as well as circle pad covers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hand-Gr...215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e92b36117

$36 for an official GameTech grip plus all of those extras seems like a decent deal, especially since it's shipping from Japan! The cheapest official GameTech grip (without the extras) that I've seen on eBay was like $43 with shipping.
I think all of us deal with lag. I don't think the grip is gonna change or effect that.

The triggers are nice. It really helps.

I do wanna check out that other grip the have. It looks cool. However I'm already satisfied with the one I got.

If anyone picks up the new gametech trigger grip post some pics and a review!

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Yeah I'm with @ kataridragon kataridragon , I'm more than happy with mine. I can't tell you enough how quickly you get over the cheapness.

It totally is like the batmobile!

Anyway that's it for grips and me until the New 3DS, whenever an exclusive makes itself important enough to doubledip

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm with @ kataridragon kataridragon , I'm more than happy with mine. I can't tell you enough how quickly you get over the cheapness.

It totally is like the batmobile!

Anyway that's it for grips and me until the New 3DS, whenever an exclusive makes itself important enough to doubledip
Agreed. I probably won't get a New 3ds until a special editon XL comes out that I really like. I'm a special edition junkie. As for this system and grip it's perfect for me for the time being.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
So I've owned Cyber Gadget's 3DS XL grip since around May and while I love the handles, whenever I play a game that uses the L and R buttons at all, it hurts my hands. I'm so sick of the hand pain that I tried to mod my controller grip which involved drilling, InstaMorph (google it because Smash Boards won't let me link stuff), and Sixaxis L1 and R1 buttons. The results have not worked out like I planned and I'm furious right now. Out of all the controller grips out there with L and R buttons, which one is the most comfortable controller grip for the 3DS XL? Alternative, if I decide to keep using my current controller grip but further modify the **** out of it, would GameTech's Trigger Assist add-ons possibly work worth a damn? I love the handles to my Cyber Gadget grip but hate it when any ****ing game uses the shoulder buttons thanks to how much reaching those buttons hurts my ****ing hands which have really lousy finger joints. I'm wondering if I'm better off buying that add-on and incorporating it with my current grip, or buying a different grip with L and R buttons implemented. I really wish I figured this **** out way before Smash Bros. released. >_<

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
So I've owned Cyber Gadget's 3DS XL grip since around May and while I love the handles, whenever I play a game that uses the L and R buttons at all, it hurts my hands. I'm so sick of the hand pain that I tried to mod my controller grip which involved drilling, InstaMorph (google it because Smash Boards won't let me link stuff), and Sixaxis L1 and R1 buttons. The results have not worked out like I planned and I'm furious right now. Out of all the controller grips out there with L and R buttons, which one is the most comfortable controller grip for the 3DS XL? Alternative, if I decide to keep using my current controller grip but further modify the **** out of it, would GameTech's Trigger Assist add-ons possibly work worth a damn? I love the handles to my Cyber Gadget grip but hate it when any ****ing game uses the shoulder buttons thanks to how much reaching those buttons hurts my ****ing hands which have really lousy finger joints. I'm wondering if I'm better off buying that add-on and incorporating it with my current grip, or buying a different grip with L and R buttons implemented. I really wish I figured this **** out way before Smash Bros. released. >_<
I am in the same boat. My hands are so big that I have to have a grip to play comfortably. However, the downside to that is that it extends my reach to the L/R buttons and my hands start cramping. I realize that L/R are essential in Smash, so it just makes it all that much more frustrating. I have ordered the GameTech knockoff (the grip + extended triggers) to see if it helps and will let you know how it is. I'm not sure if you could just buy extended triggers and make them work on the Cyber Gadget grip...

I checked eBay just now to try to find you a link to one but it doesn't look like there are any listings for them at the moment. The only other thing I can find is the legit GameTech grip + extras that I listed above. It's $36 (including shipping) which is kind of pricey but it's an option at least: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hand-Gr...or-Nintendo-3DS-XL-LL-Gametech-/161442398709?

Dr. Dim

Smash Rookie
Earlier this thread I said, that those slidepad-attachements are tosh because you can't close your 3DS anymore etc.

Well, I have to take that back.
I tried them and WOW - SO MUCH GRIP!
It's wonderful to pull of smash attacks with them. Even though it wasn't that hard before - it just feels better. Like - more reassuring.

Yes you can't close your 3DS, with those attached, but you can close it almost. It still fits into my carry case so it's not a problem.
They also don't restrict your movement. It seems that the outer deadzone on the slidepad is big enough to tolerate the attachment.
Theres also no way to scratch your screen with those. A) Rubber B) not beyond the screen when closed (at least on the non-XL 3DS).

LOOK AT THIS GRIP:

They're from "Hama" (german company) and I bought them from the german amazon. Don't know if you can get them anywhere in the states or asia.

BTW: I never took my Mario Kart 7 Wheel off as well. Quality Hori product like you know them. With those two attachements, I have the ultimate advantage!

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
This is a nice thread! Thanks!
I can only imagine how many people have crushed their 3DS's while playing smash XD

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Earlier this thread I said, that those slidepad-attachements are tosh because you can't close your 3DS anymore etc.

Well, I have to take that back.
I tried them and WOW - SO MUCH GRIP!
It's wonderful to pull of smash attacks with them. Even though it wasn't that hard before - it just feels better. Like - more reassuring.

Yes you can't close your 3DS, with those attached, but you can close it almost. It still fits into my carry case so it's not a problem.
They also don't restrict your movement. It seems that the outer deadzone on the slidepad is big enough to tolerate the attachment.
Theres also no way to scratch your screen with those. A) Rubber B) not beyond the screen when closed (at least on the non-XL 3DS).

LOOK AT THIS GRIP:

They're from "Hama" (german company) and I bought them from the german amazon. Don't know if you can get them anywhere in the states or asia.

BTW: I never took my Mario Kart 7 Wheel off as well. Quality Hori product like you know them. With those two attachements, I have the ultimate advantage!
I'll have to buy a pack of those. I've been eyeing them myself. Do you know if anyone sells singles? I've only seen them in packs of 8 or more.

Dr. Dim

Smash Rookie
I'll have to buy a pack of those. I've been eyeing them myself. Do you know if anyone sells singles? I've only seen them in packs of 8 or more.
yeah - I've only seen those 8-packs as well. It's a bit of a waste, because the one in the picture above is the best and you don't need other shapes, but they're not too expensive anyway. I gave the other ones to some friends, maybe they're happy as well now.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
My MK7 Wheel's R button stopped working today, even though the 3DS's R button still worked perfectly.

It could just be a problem with the individual wheel I got, though. My R did always feel slightly misaligned with L, though my brother said he hasn't had that problem with his own wheel.

So... Yeah, just letting you know to be careful with the shoulders.

Last edited:

Yoyoenix91

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoyoenix91
3DS FC
4425-1925-6141
So... does any place online sell the Gametech grip for the original 3DS? I'm having trouble finding one on Amazon or Ebay.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I can see why these would be incredible helpful. Trying out someone else's copy tonight had me like...

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to let people here know that I purchased these circle pad covers and have to say they aren't very good.

I do not recommend them at all. The plastic is a more hard plastic than I thought they would be and they end up being much more slippery than the circle pad itself. I do like the way they fit however. If I could somehow give them a bit more grip they would be great.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I just wanted to let people here know that I purchased these circle pad covers and have to say they aren't very good.

I do not recommend them at all. The plastic is a more hard plastic than I thought they would be and they end up being much more slippery than the circle pad itself. I do like the way they fit however. If I could somehow give them a bit more grip they would be great.
Even the "GameCube" pad is slippery (looks like #6 on that picture)? It's weird because I've been hearing a lot of the opposite -- the grip is good but the fitting is poor. I have some coming in the mail so I think I will just have to see for myself. I realize that different things do/don't work for different people.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Hmmm... I'm thinking of getting a cheap non-3DS analog stick cover and cutting a hole in the bottom for the 3DS analog stick. I wonder if that would even work.

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
These look like they would be much more comfortable but its hard for me to justify the purchase with the WiiU version just around the corner, and the "New 3DS" coming next year.

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
Even the "GameCube" pad is slippery (looks like #6 on that picture)? It's weird because I've been hearing a lot of the opposite -- the grip is good but the fitting is poor. I have some coming in the mail so I think I will just have to see for myself. I realize that different things do/don't work for different people.
I find my finger slipping just as much if not more than the normal circle pad. It's quite upsetting :(

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I've fixed my own issue without buying anything extra. I used some medium grain sandpaper and scored my CirclePad a bit. Then, I took a promotional sticker off of a DVD case and rubbed the sticky end on the pad quite a bit. It feels like it's brand new now and it doesn't slip at all.

sprusr

Smash Rookie
NNID
sprusr
3DS FC
3969-6408-8476
I bought a 3ds xl specifically to play smash on, and I'm finding it causes me hand strain more than any other console/controller. In terms of ergonomics, which of the grips mentioned in the OP can anybody recommend to prevent hand/wrist strain? Also, any other tips to prevent injury? It feels like smash could ruin me :/

Mechageo

Smash Ace
My right wrist has started hurting as of yesterday. I didn't make the connection until just now but I'm fairly certain it's because of Smash Bros.

I can't wait for my grip to get in.

Last edited:

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
I bought a 3ds xl specifically to play smash on, and I'm finding it causes me hand strain more than any other console/controller. In terms of ergonomics, which of the grips mentioned in the OP can anybody recommend to prevent hand/wrist strain? Also, any other tips to prevent injury? It feels like smash could ruin me :/
I would recommend the Gametech one. I bought one a while ago and it makes the 3DS much easier to hold over long periods of time. This one is cheap and also comes with circle pad covers too but I'm not sure what these circle pas covers are like. They do look better than the ones I posted about earlier however.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hand-Gr...709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2596b781f5

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
For once I get to laugh at all you 3DSers, with all the money I saved from buying a 2DS I can easily afford a 15$ grip and still have money left over. I gotta get to gamestop today.

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
For once I get to laugh at all you 3DSers, with all the money I saved from buying a 2DS I can easily afford a 15$ grip and still have money left over. I gotta get to gamestop today.
I'm happy with my bigger screen XL :p

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Ended up buying this one
dreamGEAR 3DS XL Comfort Grip (credited to @@Phaazoid )

@ Phaazoid Phaazoid said:
So, the pad itself is really nice. It's rubbery, but not the kind of rubber that gets every little piece of dirt stuck to it. I'd give the material itself a great score.

It's two pieces, one that wraps around the top, one around the bottom.

Honestly, the one around the top doesn't do much. This isn't built for protection, it's built for comfort, but I guess it gives the top a bit of protection. But it's not like that's anything against the pad.

The pad is very good about not blocking any important spots on the DS, with one small exception - the hole to the headphone slot is long, so if you have headphones with a 90 degree jack, you can't use them with this pad.

now, for the grip itself, I gotta say, shape-wise, it's great. The padding really makes it more comfortable to hold the DS, makes it feel like a gaming controller, which is what I was hoping for.

I do have one small gripe. There are two ways to push the L and R buttons, there are small bumps right above them, to show where they are. That works perfectly. There are also two extended triggers, that feel like Gcube or Xbox triggers. They are amazing. However, when you use them, the pull the back of the case out from under the DS, out of place. With only like 10 minutes of usage, it could pull it far enough out to dislodge and make the triggers not work at all.

Now, this isn't a huge deal, a quick re-adjustment between matches, or using the other triggers makes this a non issue. But I could see myself forgetting, and ****ing up and not having triggers for a match.

I'm going to try playing mario kart 7 extensively with it, to see if this really happens or not. I played DKC country returns for a few hours with it, and nothing bad happened, it was a great experience. And any game that doesn't use extensive R or L presses should have no problems at all.

So, yeah. Pretty good, but I'll have to see how bad the trigger problem could get. It might end up a non issue, it might end up making me not use the thing for smash/mkart.

Also, side note, this does make the 3DS XL extremely large with it on. I could just fit it into the pocket of my cargo shorts - and I always have huge pockets. But that's to be expected, making it larger is a bit of the point.

I would advise against this one. Its REAAAAALLY squishy. For other games it would be fine but every time i try to do a smash attack, i squish the padding and makes me hold the 3DS weirdly for a moment.
I dont mind the rubber, but the pads that make the 3DS more bulky (which is the whole point of a grip case) should really be hard plastic underneath that rubber.

And i have no idea why its showing a blank spoiler in my post. weird.

Last edited:

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
Ended up buying this one
I really wanted to buy this one for the full body cover but what you complained about worried me to much so I went with the gametech one. If you think you are up for spending more money i'd recommend it.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ended up buying this one

@ Phaazoid Phaazoid said:
So, the pad itself is really nice. It's rubbery, but not the kind of rubber that gets every little piece of dirt stuck to it. I'd give the material itself a great score.

It's two pieces, one that wraps around the top, one around the bottom.

Honestly, the one around the top doesn't do much. This isn't built for protection, it's built for comfort, but I guess it gives the top a bit of protection. But it's not like that's anything against the pad.

The pad is very good about not blocking any important spots on the DS, with one small exception - the hole to the headphone slot is long, so if you have headphones with a 90 degree jack, you can't use them with this pad.

now, for the grip itself, I gotta say, shape-wise, it's great. The padding really makes it more comfortable to hold the DS, makes it feel like a gaming controller, which is what I was hoping for.

I do have one small gripe. There are two ways to push the L and R buttons, there are small bumps right above them, to show where they are. That works perfectly. There are also two extended triggers, that feel like Gcube or Xbox triggers. They are amazing. However, when you use them, the pull the back of the case out from under the DS, out of place. With only like 10 minutes of usage, it could pull it far enough out to dislodge and make the triggers not work at all.

Now, this isn't a huge deal, a quick re-adjustment between matches, or using the other triggers makes this a non issue. But I could see myself forgetting, and ****ing up and not having triggers for a match.

I'm going to try playing mario kart 7 extensively with it, to see if this really happens or not. I played DKC country returns for a few hours with it, and nothing bad happened, it was a great experience. And any game that doesn't use extensive R or L presses should have no problems at all.

So, yeah. Pretty good, but I'll have to see how bad the trigger problem could get. It might end up a non issue, it might end up making me not use the thing for smash/mkart.

Also, side note, this does make the 3DS XL extremely large with it on. I could just fit it into the pocket of my cargo shorts - and I always have huge pockets. But that's to be expected, making it larger is a bit of the point.

I would advise against this one. Its REAAAAALLY squishy. For other games it would be fine but every time i try to do a smash attack, i squish the padding and makes me hold the 3DS weirdly for a moment.
I dont mind the rubber, but the pads that make the 3DS more bulky (which is the whole point of a grip case) should really be hard plastic underneath that rubber.

And i have no idea why its showing a blank spoiler in my post. weird.
Huh. I haven't had an issue with it being too squishy.

After a few months of using this grip, my biggest complaint would be that it makes the 3DS too big to fit into my pocket anymore. Even with playing smash, I have no trouble with the triggers like I thought I would, just don't use the big ones (which now I'm pretty sure weren't even intended for use as triggers, but for standing the 3DS), only use the ones right above the actual buttons. I tried smash attacking a bunch with what you said in mind, and I wasn't able to squish the rubber. May I ask how you are holding it?

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Huh. I haven't had an issue with it being too squishy.

After a few months of using this grip, my biggest complaint would be that it makes the 3DS too big to fit into my pocket anymore. Even with playing smash, I have no trouble with the triggers like I thought I would, just don't use the big ones (which now I'm pretty sure weren't even intended for use as triggers, but for standing the 3DS), only use the ones right above the actual buttons. I tried smash attacking a bunch with what you said in mind, and I wasn't able to squish the rubber. May I ask how you are holding it?
Well thats not an issue for me since i dont travel anymore (no longer in the military lol).
It could be the size of my hands/how much pressure im used to applying when i do quick and snappy movements. But almost every time i smashed, i almost dropped it because i flattened the grips lol.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well thats not an issue for me since i dont travel anymore (no longer in the military lol).
It could be the size of my hands/how much pressure im used to applying when i do quick and snappy movements. But almost every time i smashed, i almost dropped it because i flattened the grips lol.
Oh, I've figured out how you're holding it. Huh. I guess since I hold it a little differently, that's never been a problem for me. Good catch. Sorry if I pushed you to buying something you won't use. I still think it's a great grip for me, at least.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Oh, I've figured out how you're holding it. Huh. I guess since I hold it a little differently, that's never been a problem for me. Good catch. Sorry if I pushed you to buying something you won't use. I still think it's a great grip for me, at least.
No i bought it because it was available lol. All the other grips were for normal 3ds, i have an xl.

Really wish i could find an XL version for my DS Lite's case - its a nerf shell basically. Adds a ton of bulk thats nice and firm, but almost no weight. Makes holding the nonXL DS comfortable even for someone with big hands like me.
But thats a 2DS, not a 3DS that has that case so i cant just use that instead to smash with. Need da pad..lol

this is whats on my 2DS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom