• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How to fully maximize the Smash Bros gameplay experience on the 3DS: Using a Controller-style Grip

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You try the OP? I transferred them there. I can still see te poctures. If it still shows broken let me know.
Yep, they're all there, my bad.

I think if there's one thing I wish my grip had, it would be extended triggers like that one. But I've used for at least 15 hours with Bravely Default the last week or so and I'm really liking it, so I can't complain. Very comfy.

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
Yep, they're all there, my bad.

I think if there's one thing I wish my grip had, it would be extended triggers like that one. But I've used for at least 15 hours with Bravely Default the last week or so and I'm really liking it, so I can't complain. Very comfy.
Good to hear!
I actually can't decide which 3DS I want to use Smash on. The XL has the screen, but the Original with the grip feels incredibly comfy.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Good to hear!
I actually can't decide which 3DS I want to use Smash on. The XL has the screen, but the Original with the grip feels incredibly comfy.
It's a tough choice. I prefer the stylus and feel of the original, too. But the screen size is such a huge difference, and honestly it's why I ended up with the XL. The grip I have makes the XL comfortable to hold. The only thing left to find out is if the triggers are awkward to use in an action game. If I ever get around to Mario Kart, I'll find out, but I was hooked on shovel knight and now I'm hooked on Bravely Default, lol.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
A lot of those look really nice!

Thanks for sharing.. I may pick one of those up in the future.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Since the game's actually out now, I think I'll be doing a collective service to both people who have the game and will have it shortly by necroing this.

melee54

Smash Rookie
Just got my Japanese version of smash and boy is it hurting my hands. I can't play for more than 20 minutes at a time. Currently trying to find a grip with good comfort and trigger reach. The Cyber Gadget one looks comfortable, but too awkward of a trigger reach. Hmm. Currently trying to locate the 3DS XL Gametech Trigger Grip or a good knockoff.

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I have an off-brand Trigger Grip for my 3ds XL that I bought on ebay a while back in advance for Smash Bros 3ds. I must say that it is awesome. I love it. It works very well and is also great for mario kart 7. I highly recommend for 3ds XL owners.

In addition it matches my Zelda Black and gold 3ds xl. If you still want protection on the top half a hori silicon case works great. It comes in 2 seperate pieces. One for the top half and one for the bottom half so you can have a grip on the bottom and a protector on the top.

The knock off is good for the trigger grip.

Here is a link to the one I purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Trigger-Grip-Plastic-Gamepad-Bracket-Holder-Handle-Pad-for-Nintendo-3DSXL-LL-/18151574064:?pt=US_Video_Game_Cases_Bags&hash=item2a432e65e6

Here is a link to the hori silicon case I have:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GX330XW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pics of my setup:

Last edited:

melee54

Smash Rookie
I JUST bought that same trigger grip. It looks really good for the price. I hope it arrives relatively fast even though it's shipping from Hong Kong.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
It took a little while to arrive but not an incredibly long time. I think it took a little over a week or so. I edited my post with some picture of my setup. I was worried when I bought it that it was going to be to cheap and suck but it ended up being very good. It does feel cheap at first but once you get use to it you will love it!

How do you do spoiler tags? Im so noobz!!111

Last edited:

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
You should denote in the OP that the Circle Pad Pro's second stick is incompatible with Smash4.

Such a shame too.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Speaking of which, we need to find some grips compatible with the N3DS. Like, yesterday.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I have an off-brand Trigger Grip for my 3ds XL that I bought on ebay a while back in advance for Smash Bros 3ds. I must say that it is awesome. I love it. It works very well and is also great for mario kart 8. I highly recommend for 3ds XL owners.

In addition it matches my Zelda Black and gold 3ds xl. If you still want protection on the top half a hori silicon case works great. It comes in 2 seperate pieces. One for the top half and one for the bottom half so you can have a grip on the bottom and a protector on the top.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Trigger-Grip-Plastic-Gamepad-Bracket-Holder-Handle-Pad-for-Nintendo-3DSXL-LL-/18151574064:?pt=US_Video_Game_Cases_Bags&hash=item2a432e65e6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GX330XW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pics of my setup:

Based on your experience, I decided to go through with purchasing this grip. It should arrive just in time for the US release! Really cheap, and if smashboards folks are happy, I trust them.

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
I might have to get a grip too since i'm gonna be using the 3ds like a ogre

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
These grips look great! My hands (thumbs in particular) have been hurting after playing for a while on my 3DS. I'll be looking into a grip after I decide if I'm getting a 2DS or XL for smash. Is the button spacing that same on every model? Thanks for the info everyone! Happy smashing :reverse:

Plüschi

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much! I just was looking for it!
I have very slim and long fingers and geeeez I get cramps after few hours smash.
Does someone have a good grip/controller/whatever for slim hands and comfortable hold for the fingers? I don't want to buy something, wait few weeks for Asian shipping to get painful gaming seasons again. x(

Last edited:

ChaosKamikaze

Smash Rookie
NNID
kamikaze17
3DS FC
2809-8887-2191
I bought the same one from that Ebay link.

What I am wondering is if Controller Grips will be banned in official tournaments?

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Based on your experience, I decided to go through with purchasing this grip. It should arrive just in time for the US release! Really cheap, and if smashboards folks are happy, I trust them.
Like I said about the knockoff 3ds XL trigger grip. When you first get it out of the package you will think its cheap but once you use it for a little while you will thank me.

The triggers really help me. When I first got my XL and started playing mario kart 7 it killed me to hold items and drift then I got the trigger grip and never looked back.

I actually get a lot of compliments on my 3ds. It's pimped out pretty good.

I bought the same one from that Ebay link.

What I am wondering is if Controller Grips will be banned in official tournaments?
Grips banned?!? Naaah.

Last edited:

Dr. Dim

Smash Rookie
Too bad the Circle Pad Pro won't work with Smash. I also don't think they'll patch it in later.

I guess they made that decision because some optimization would be needed (because the circle pad and infrared interface takes CPU circles they need in the actual game), and they thought it's not worth it. I don't think it's a business decision to drive N3DS sales because the negative PR backslash would counter that by far. I honestly think they didn't got it to work. Call it incompetence but it's rather a decision based on time/budget for optimizing against return value from that feature, and it's easy to imagine how to make that decision from the developers perspective.

It's a shame though because the CPP based Hori Monster Hunter 4G extension was shaping up to be amazing for Smash Bros. as well. The shoulder Slidepad (C-trigger) seems to be a really good idea if you can adapt to that! I'll definatly buy that for the western Monster Hunter 4 release.

But Smash Bros. is not Monster Hunter and I'll stick with the Nintendo Racing Wheel, because of the ergonomics and improved R/L triggers (while being naturally 100% compatible)

Another Topic: For me Smash Bros. really shows how bad the regular slidepad is for this kind of game. I think it is WAY to slick, and you notice it even more because of the smash moves. I thought about buying some third party cover attachments but they are such a bad idea:

They limit the range of the slidepad and you can't even close the 3DS anymore... eugh...

The slidepad already has a light concave. Why not use this space and manufacture a properly textured sticker which fits into it? I even thought about making those myself, because I found them nowhere. Guess nobody want's to make money...

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I do agree that it's pretty slim picking for a good grip (particularly for an XL). It took me a good while to decide on a grip.

I don't have to much of a problem with the slide pad. I would suggest not getting it too dirty. I wash my hands after eating before I use mine and I don't use it while eating chips or any other oily food.

I just try to keep it clean for grips sake. Also I probably don't use my 3ds as much as others do.

Last edited:

Dr. Dim

Smash Rookie
It's probably different for everyone. Unfortunately my hands sweat kinda fast when playing something intense like smash bros :(

EDIT: To any chinese factory owners reading this thread: Here's how you do 3DS slide pad stickers

Last edited:

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
I would love to play smash3D with one of these grips, but for the long term it seems like a waste of money in my shoes.
I plan on getting the wii u version too, and I have a strong feeling I'm gunna stop playing smash3D when it comes out (Especially since smash run isn't online). That'll only give me 2 months of use out of it :/
Plus I plan trading in my launch day 3ds for a new3dsXL when the time comes, which mean my grip will no longer fit and become useless.
That being said I'm still jealous of everyone playing with one of these babies :p

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Too bad the Circle Pad Pro won't work with Smash. I also don't think they'll patch it in later.
If anything, this may help ween people off of c-sticking. You can still easily do quick smash attacks with the analog nub, and it allows you more control over the timing. Made for easier punishes in my day! Folks never really seem to give the half charged smash its due.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
If anything, this may help ween people off of c-sticking. You can still easily do quick smash attacks with the analog nub, and it allows you more control over the timing. Made for easier punishes in my day! Folks never really seem to give the half charged smash its due.
True. I think people really like the c-stick for its aerial momentum when performing b-airs and f-airs since you can keep momentum going in the direction you want after a short hop.... At least they should... Hell I should :p

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
True. I think people really like the c-stick for its aerial momentum when performing b-airs and f-airs since you can keep momentum going in the direction you want after a short hop.... At least they should... Hell I should :p
For sure. That's the only time I try to use the stick.

But I'm also kinda bad, and have been so since I was like... 16

ChaosKamikaze

Smash Rookie
NNID
kamikaze17
3DS FC
2809-8887-2191
Like I said about the knockoff 3ds XL trigger grip. When you first get it out of the package you will think its cheap but once you use it for a little while you will thank me.

The triggers really help me. When I first got my XL and started playing mario kart 7 it killed me to hold items and drift then I got the trigger grip and never looked back.

I actually get a lot of compliments on my 3ds. It's pimped out pretty good.

Grips banned?!? Naaah.
Are you sure that is a knockoff? Is it not the Gametech 3ds LL/XL Trigger Grip? The images provided on the ebay post is of that model.

Insolitus

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to hunt down a grip for the regular 3ds and all the examples are unfindable for me. So I found this thing

Does anyone know if this is good or not? I read a couple reviews, but I'd like to get as many testimonies as possible, if possible
I just got this one a couple days ago, I feel like the handles could be just a little bit bigger but it gets the job done.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Are you sure that is a knockoff? Is it not the Gametech 3ds LL/XL Trigger Grip? The images provided on the ebay post is of that model.
I guarantee that it's a knockoff. It looks identical in real life. It ships alone with absolutely no additional packaging. That picture on ebay is stolen from the original products picture line with stars added. It ships from China instead of Japan. The plastic itself feels cheap but it functions great. There is no way it's not a knockoff.

I bet the actual one has better plastic but at a quarter of the price it's a great bargain.

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
I just ordered the cyber 3ds ll hand grip from Amazon.

It's got some pretty good reviews and I liked the way the triggers are uncovered. I read some mixed feeling reviews about the dreamGEAR triggers and I leaned toward this one. Maybe @ Phaazoid Phaazoid can provide some insights on that when he has a chance. I was happy he took the time to post pictures and his thoughts on that product. Thanks

I should receive the grip on Friday and I'll post some pictures and a review.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZXBYJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS thanks @ garrettyim garrettyim for posting and organizing this thread. The grips are a great idea!

Last edited:

AirShad

Smash Cadet
I'll definitely have to look into these... The XL is not very comfortable for me, but tat probably has to do with me having huge hands...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I just ordered the cyber 3ds ll hand grip from Amazon.

It's got some pretty good reviews and I liked the way the triggers are uncovered. I read some mixed feeling reviews about the dreamGEAR triggers and I leaned toward this one. Maybe @ Phaazoid Phaazoid can provide some insights on that when he has a chance. I was happy he took the time to post pictures and his thoughts on that product. Thanks

I should receive the grip on Friday and I'll post some pictures and a review.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZXBYJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS thanks @ garrettyim garrettyim for posting and organizing this thread. The grips are a great idea!
Ooh, I really like how you can store cartridges in that one... damn. I'm jealous now xD

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
I'm just worried about how the triggers on the Cybergadget grip that I bought will work. I haven't found anywhere that does a video review or any review for that matter on the Gametech grip which has a similar design, but with flaps for the triggers.

www.amazon.com/3DSLL-x7528-x30B0-x30EA-x30C3-Nintendo/dp/B00CBR808E

There is a review on youtube with LL Grip / Circle Pad Pro / dreamGEAR comfort grip / and Cybergadget that was very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNh0jUaezS8

Reckless Yuki did an excellent job listing the pros and cons of each of these grips. He chose the Cybergadget as the best grip out of the 4 that he reviewed. He mentions (like the review below) that the triggers are awkward to reach, but if you hold the grip in a particular way, it's super comfortable.

There is also another review on Youtube which reviews the Cybergadget grip. He complains that the triggers are awkward or hard to reach , but it's something that you can get used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2-3fat-Fs

I'm looking forward to trying the Cybergadget out nonetheless. It was cheaper than the GameTech and offered prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZXBYJU/

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
Eh, I ordered the Gametech one from Ebay just now. It's going to kill me never to know, and I can sell the extra grip to a friend if need be. That one is coming from Hong Kong though and should be here some time this year LOL. They have 6 more if any of you all are interested. Shipped for $14 , way better than the $30 Amazon is asking for, probably the same shipping speed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181515740646

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I have an off-brand Trigger Grip for my 3ds XL that I bought on ebay a while back in advance for Smash Bros 3ds. I must say that it is awesome. I love it. It works very well and is also great for mario kart 7. I highly recommend for 3ds XL owners.

Pics of my setup:

Just bought it thanks to your glowing recommendation. After playing the demo extensively these last few days, it's become apparent to me that I need something to give me greater comfort when holding the 3DS XL for long periods at a time. I probably should have realized that with games like Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pokemon X and Y, Mario Kart 7 and other intensive 3DS games that you can get really addicted to but I pushed through the discomfort. Looking forward to enjoying my 3DS XL that much more! :)

Top Bottom