• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How to fully maximize the Smash Bros gameplay experience on the 3DS: Using a Controller-style Grip

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Eh, I ordered the Gametech one from Ebay just now. It's going to kill me never to know, and I can sell the extra grip to a friend if need be. That one is coming from Hong Kong though and should be here some time this year LOL. They have 6 more if any of you all are interested. Shipped for $14 , way better than the $30 Amazon is asking for, probably the same shipping speed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181515740646
Its a knockoff FYI. Same as the one many others are buying as well as the one I bought

Just bought it thanks to your glowing recommendation. After playing the demo extensively these last few days, it's become apparent to me that I need something to give me greater comfort when holding the 3DS XL for long periods at a time. I probably should have realized that with games like Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pokemon X and Y, Mario Kart 7 and other intensive 3DS games that you can get really addicted to but I pushed through the discomfort. Looking forward to enjoying my 3DS XL that much more! :)
After I got the trigger grip my 3DS was like a whole new system. I love my grip. Best accessory I have ever purchased for a system. EVER!

Interesting another 3ds xl grip has emerged on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exchange-W-...488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adc7f07c8

Its like the trigger grip but it has a new trigger design and exchangeable handles.... wierd. I do like the new trigger look though.

Last edited:

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
Its a knockoff FYI. Same as the one many others are buying as well as the one I bought
I thought it might be a knockoff. I couldn't find the Gametech one on Ebay. What I was really curious about was the triggers anyway. And I wasn't about to pay the $35 Amazon was charging. I compared the pictures from the Ebay and Amazon one and it looks identical. I wonder what the difference is between the knockoff and authentic one.

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
Wow, Gametech actually has a lot of grips to choose from - http://www.gametech.co.jp/products/catalog_3ds.html (scroll down a bunch and you'll see them)

This one looks gnarly. It's a circle pad pro type, with the extra analong stick on the back and the Z button behind and in the middle -> http://www.gametech.co.jp/products/catalog/1580/1580_1.html

The new one you mentioned from ebay -> http://www.gametech.co.jp/products/catalog/1577/1577_1.html

http://www.gametech.co.jp/products/catalog/1566/1566_1.html

I have a feeling that the knockoff is the same, probably just an unlicensed product. Or an extra factory run.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
No not really. The only difference I notice is that I can see the lines in the plastic for the stylus sheath. Other than that nothing. I am not sure if they aren't there in the normal model because you kinda have to catch the light to see it. Other than that slight cosmetic difference (maybe?!?) its identical.

TL;DR Its Identical.

Last edited:

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
IS it just me or does the default control set for sm4sh feel WAY off.. why would i want to dodge with R when i move with a stick on the left side of the controller?

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
No not really. The only difference I notice is that I can see the lines in the plastic for the stylus sheath. Other than that nothing. I am not sure if they aren't there in the normal model because you kinda have to catch the light to see it. Other than that slight cosmetic difference (maybe?!?) its identical.

TL;DR Its Identical.
Well, now I'm wondering if I should even order both of them! LOL

The one advantage I see for the Cybertech over the Gametech is the rubber coated grip. What are your thoughts on the matter? Are the triggers worth it? How is the feel of your Gametech?

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Well, now I'm wondering if I should even order both of them! LOL

The one advantage I see for the Cybertech over the Gametech is the rubber coated grip. What are your thoughts on the matter? Are the triggers worth it? How is the feel of your Gametech?
The triggers are beast. Helps a ton. More responsive then you think it would be. It feels good I don't have a problem. I bought it specifically for the triggers to be honest.

Could be better if the grips were at an outward angle like a regular console controller but it works fine. I wouldn't consider it a negative but more of a thought.

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
I feel like this will help loads more than the handle grips

Morlock138

Smash Rookie
NNID
Morlock138
3DS FC
2105-8813-5014
Some really good info here, thanks! I've already got a good silicone grip for my standard 3ds.It's shaped kinda like a genesis controller. But if I upgrade to a XL, I'll make sure to look into some of these grips.

smashapotamus

Smash Rookie
Anyone know where to buy the game tech one for regular 3ds? I can't find any grips with aided LR trigger access on amazon or eBay. The closest thing if the hero Mario cart wheel -_-

Any links would be appreciated. Price isn't an issue as long as they ship to the US

Thanks!

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
I looked to find one for you and was unlucky. Gametech has an online shop , but it looks like they ship to Japan only. So, I emailed those guys to see what we can do, I even offered to buy a quantity of them so that I could resell them here in the US because let's face it, that's going to be a hot item here in a couple of weeks = P

http://shop.gametech.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=415

These are the grips you are looking for:
http://www.gametech.co.jp/products/catalog/1471/1471_1.html
http://www.gametech.co.jp/products/catalog/1448/1448_1.html

I don't know what any of this means, but here is there contact information that I found on their online store:

店名 ゲームテックダイレクト
会社名 株式会社ゲームテック
所在地 〒812-0004
福岡県 福岡市博多区榎田1-9-25
電話番号 092-433-9911
FAX番号 092-433-9919
メールアドレス direct-info@gametech.co.jp

TecKnoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6242-7659
I didn't want to make my own thread for such a dumb question, but without a Z button how do you just "let go" of items? aka just dropping them in place, in the air ive found using L will drop links bombs, but only because it throws out a grab.

smashapotamus

Smash Rookie
I looked to find one for you and was unlucky. Gametech has an online shop , but it looks like they ship to Japan only. So, I emailed those guys to see what we can do, I even offered to buy a quantity of them so that I could resell them here in the US because let's face it, that's going to be a hot item here in a couple of weeks = P

I don't know what any of this means, but here is there contact information that I found on their online store:

店名 ゲームテックダイレクト
会社名 株式会社ゲームテック
所在地 〒812-0004
福岡県 福岡市博多区榎田1-9-25
電話番号 092-433-9911
FAX番号 092-433-9919

Thank you good sir!
I did a Google translate on their store too but items were out of stock both the grip alone and the 3d assist grip kit. Hopefully they get back to you with some good news. I know I'll buy. Luckily I just bought the 3ds mario kart wheel as a temp since if its coming from Japan shipping could take some time.

If anyone from Japan on here or that speaks/reads Japanese could help would be great!

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
Thank you good sir!
I did a Google translate on their store too but items were out of stock both the grip alone and the 3d assist grip kit. Hopefully they get back to you with some good news. I know I'll buy. Luckily I just bought the 3ds mario kart wheel as a temp since if its coming from Japan shipping could take some time.

If anyone from Japan on here or that speaks/reads Japanese could help would be great!
I should have posted the update here. They emailed me back ! Started a new thread.

http://smashboards.com/threads/are-you-interested-in-getting-a-gametech-grip.369029/

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Just got the Mario Kart 7 wheel for my original 3DS and it is great! The larger shoulder buttons really help and having the wheel grip alleviates the hand and thumb cramps. So for less than $10, it's a great buy to make 3DS Smash more comfortable to play for extended periods of time. I'd recommend it. Thanks to the OP for making this thread! It was a huge help. Enjoy the demo everyone!

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
Glad to see this thread is still alive!
Having used the Gametech trigger LL, and both the monster Hunter grips, for the demo, I have to say that the most comfortable of the 3 is the rathalos red grip. The gametech trigger is great, but not sure if it's just my triggers, but they're not as responsive as I'd want them to be.

iimthomas

Smash Rookie
I have CYBER-grip-rubber-coating-3DS-LL from amazon

And the gametech rip off from ebay.

I like the cyber more because of the rubber coating. I don't like the fact that the grooves are really meant for your middle fingers while your indexes are on the triggers. It feels so comfortable when you have your index on the grooves in the back. Wish it had really good triggers there, would've been the perfect grip.

I really don't like the rip off from ebay. The grips don't angle outward so it feels a bit awkward. The triggers are cheap and just plain suck. They aren't ergonomically angled or anything. I find myself accidentally hitting them, they are really responsive, the slightest pressure will press the button. Because they aren't angled properly, this happens a lot.

And its just cheap plastic. Also, it holds the 3ds by just resistance, these little tiny rubber pads. It doesn't clip on or anything at all. Not safe.

I wanna try the monster hunter one for xl, but its too expensive and I already bought 2 grips.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I just bought a super cheap controller grip off of Amazon for $8.37 (including shipping). It's probably been mentioned on this thread somewhere, but it's the one with a kickstand. I'm not expecting much for the price or the source, and I can't say I'm looking forward to how it fastens onto the system, but it's something.

For those who want to take a look: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3DIW4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I just bought a super cheap controller grip off of Amazon for $8.37 (including shipping). It's probably been mentioned on this thread somewhere, but it's the one with a kickstand. I'm not expecting much for the price or the source, and I can't say I'm looking forward to how it fastens onto the system, but it's something.

For those who want to take a look: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3DIW4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use this one since August and it works like a charm! Can't recommend it enough!

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I use this one since August and it works like a charm! Can't recommend it enough!
That's really good to hear! Do you have any issues taking it off of the system? I have the Zelda 3ds and I'm terrified of damaging it, so I was planning on trying it out first on my old 3ds xl.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I have no problems attaching and removing it. And it doesn't cause any scratches. The shell for the 3ds XL is really smooth. The shoulder buttons are SO much easier to hit and hold with a grip. *_*

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I don't get hand pains so I probably won't get these, but thanks for doing all this for those who want these!

SmashAdr

Smash Apprentice

i bought it last week and it feels perfect.. and it really fits in the 3ds and can be tough to get it out. ( have to use a thin plastic card to unlock the top bars)

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I have an off-brand Trigger Grip for my 3ds XL that I bought on ebay a while back in advance for Smash Bros 3ds. I must say that it is awesome. I love it. It works very well and is also great for mario kart 7. I highly recommend for 3ds XL owners.

In addition it matches my Zelda Black and gold 3ds xl. If you still want protection on the top half a hori silicon case works great. It comes in 2 seperate pieces. One for the top half and one for the bottom half so you can have a grip on the bottom and a protector on the top.

The knock off is good for the trigger grip.

Here is a link to the one I purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Trigger-Grip-Plastic-Gamepad-Bracket-Holder-Handle-Pad-for-Nintendo-3DSXL-LL-/18151574064:?pt=US_Video_Game_Cases_Bags&hash=item2a432e65e6
Hey man!

You weren't kidding about the cheap feel, but what's funny is that despite it feeling like a flea market spider-guy knock-off action figure it does feel sturdy, and it does not feel like it'll break. Only piece I don't care for is the game-card slot cover (and it's also rather unnecessary, don't you think?) as it's on a cheap hinge and doesn't seem like it will stay.

It's taken a minute to adjust again (just based on how I grip now, it's very different from how I was playing the demo this weekend), but I highly recommend it as well. The triggers feel AMAZING, and I finally feel comfortable shielding.

One bit of caution - be careful about removing your XL from the grip - something about it feels a little worrisome like it may scratch the top of your 3DS (though it didn't when I took mine out), but honestly I doubt I'll ever take it out again. It's true, this console will no longer fit in your pocket, but I always found the XL to be suspect when it came to pockets, anyhow. I don't do cargo shorts. We don't do cargo shorts in NYC.

I dig this grip.

Anyway, some photos -

What I like is that with my black XL they look like they belong together

Pretty typical ergonomic groove, but it is rather thick.

There's a diagonal slot for your stylus. Kinda weird, but eh, whatever

Adds no real weight to the unit and feels comfortable enough to hold in one hand.

As a bonus, my cat decided to pose for all of you.

That's not a chair, asshole!

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
I just bought this set of circle pad covers through Amazon. There are black and blue ones available as well. I've been using them about a week now, so here's a quick review -

- Yes, it probably could scratch the screen if you close it with one on, since they add enough height to the top of the circle pad. But they are incredibly easy to just pop right off when not in use, and the keychain attachment pretty much guarantees they never get lost.
- They essentially just hug the side of the circle pad about 3/4 of the way down, so they don't impede its movement or responsiveness at all.
- Putting them on correctly comes with a learning curve. I would bet that most negative reviews come from people who thought they had them on properly but actually had them on slightly uneven.
- You just have to make sure they're on evenly all the way around, which you can only really know by looking closely at the pad from the side.
- If you don't get them exactly right it still feels fine at first... until you lean on one side too much and they pop off.
- ... But if you do it properly they won't budge even after hours of play!
- If that all sounds like a hassle, well, it kind of is, but once you've done it correctly a couple times it can be done in ~30 seconds or less basically every time.

Overall, I think these are essential! It makes the circle pad feel like an actual control stick. Five of the six pads you get are nicely textured - the Gamecube controller style one is a particular standout IMO - so the issues I had occasionally keeping the grip on the too-smooth default circle pad are gone completely.

Most significantly, it makes tilts in Smash much easier to do. The added precision you get from having a stick that actually protrudes feels like a necessity for this game. Honestly, I can't recommend them enough!

Last edited:

Pee-Gcuatro20

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pee-G.quatro20
3DS FC
3540-1271-4845
I feel like this will help loads more than the handle grips
i dreamed someone would come up with something like this since tilts are really hard to do , i always end up doing a smash.no to mention how slippery it gets if you hands get sweaty like mine do. the gc grips look sexy

http://shop.gametech.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=415

http://www.gametech.co.jp/products/catalog/1471/1471_1.html
http://www.gametech.co.jp/products/catalog/1448/1448_1.html

店名 ゲームテックダイレクト
会社名 株式会社ゲームテック
所在地 〒812-0004
福岡県 福岡市博多区榎田1-9-25
電話番号 092-433-9911
FAX番号 092-433-9919
so my dream is already ruined?!? :'(

Last edited:

doyouknowbobby

Smash Rookie
NNID
doyouknowbobby
3DS FC
2337-4532-3605
3DS XL Grips:

3DS XL Triggers:

This add-on does not provide a controller grip, but allows for larger triggers without the bulk of a grip, which many might find more beneficial. At $8, it might not be a bad investment if you want to prolong your gameplay.

I've been lurking this thread for a while. The grip is less important to me, I just want bigger shoulder buttons. I don't want to wait a few weeks for a GameTech/MonsterHunter grip to come from Japan. Anyone know where I can find these triggers? especially at that $8 price?

My searches for "3DS Trigger", "3DSXL Trigger" and "3DSLL trigger" on Google/Ebay/Amazon have been pretty fruitless.

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
I've been lurking this thread for a while. The grip is less important to me, I just want bigger shoulder buttons. I don't want to wait a few weeks for a GameTech/MonsterHunter grip to come from Japan. Anyone know where I can find these triggers? especially at that $8 price?

My searches for "3DS Trigger", "3DSXL Trigger" and "3DSLL trigger" on Google/Ebay/Amazon have been pretty fruitless.
Here you go: http://www.play-asia.com/trigger-assist-3dll-paOS-13-49-en-70-7ufz.html

They're at that $8 price point and this is the only place I've found them so far. From what I can tell no U.S. retailer anywhere stocks them, so it's an import, which means the only downside is that you'd have to wait a couple weeks unless you're willing to pony up ~$20-25.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
Eh, I ordered the Gametech one from Ebay just now. It's going to kill me never to know, and I can sell the extra grip to a friend if need be. That one is coming from Hong Kong though and should be here some time this year LOL. They have 6 more if any of you all are interested. Shipped for $14 , way better than the $30 Amazon is asking for, probably the same shipping speed.
Just wanted to let everyone know that this one is back in stock! It's the GameTech knockoff. Just click on the link to view the seller's other items. It comes out to around $14 for me, shipped.

EDIT: Apparently searching for "3DS grip" won't bring it up on eBay. You have to search for "3DSXL grip".

EDIT #2: Here is the Gametech Grip knockoff back in stock! http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Trigger...=US_Video_Game_Cases_Bags&hash=item27ed235881

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I ordered the Mario Kart 7 wheel because that was in my price range. I'm excited to get it. I'm sad that my Circle Pad Pro won't work though.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I ordered the Mario Kart 7 wheel because that was in my price range. I'm excited to get it. I'm sad that my Circle Pad Pro won't work though.
My mario kart wheel just came in the mail, and I've decided to never take it off. It works perfectly for smash, 11/10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom