• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How to fully maximize the Smash Bros gameplay experience on the 3DS: Using a Controller-style Grip

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
The R button will not work on the Circle Pad Pro unless the game supports the device, which it likely won't. So don't buy it unless you like playing without shields.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah I've had some personal experience with most of these, as well as some others now and I feel pretty confident in saying that these controller grips definitely make prolonged gameplay more comfortable. Some of them are a bit bulky for my tastes, but for anyone worried about the size/shape of the 3DS/2DS any of these options ought to do the trick.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
See, I completely forgot, haha. Thanks for reminding me.

So, the pad itself is really nice. It's rubbery, but not the kind of rubber that gets every little piece of dirt stuck to it. I'd give the material itself a great score.

It's two pieces, one that wraps around the top, one around the bottom.

Honestly, the one around the top doesn't do much. This isn't built for protection, it's built for comfort, but I guess it gives the top a bit of protection. But it's not like that's anything against the pad.

The pad is very good about not blocking any important spots on the DS, with one small exception - the hole to the headphone slot is long, so if you have headphones with a 90 degree jack, you can't use them with this pad.

now, for the grip itself, I gotta say, shape-wise, it's great. The padding really makes it more comfortable to hold the DS, makes it feel like a gaming controller, which is what I was hoping for.

I do have one small gripe. There are two ways to push the L and R buttons, there are small bumps right above them, to show where they are. That works perfectly. There are also two extended triggers, that feel like Gcube or Xbox triggers. They are amazing. However, when you use them, the pull the back of the case out from under the DS, out of place. With only like 10 minutes of usage, it could pull it far enough out to dislodge and make the triggers not work at all.

Now, this isn't a huge deal, a quick re-adjustment between matches, or using the other triggers makes this a non issue. But I could see myself forgetting, and ****ing up and not having triggers for a match.

I'm going to try playing mario kart 7 extensively with it, to see if this really happens or not. I played DKC country returns for a few hours with it, and nothing bad happened, it was a great experience. And any game that doesn't use extensive R or L presses should have no problems at all.

So, yeah. Pretty good, but I'll have to see how bad the trigger problem could get. It might end up a non issue, it might end up making me not use the thing for smash/mkart.

Also, side note, this does make the 3DS XL extremely large with it on. I could just fit it into the pocket of my cargo shorts - and I always have huge pockets. But that's to be expected, making it larger is a bit of the point.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Sure thing. If you want me to give another set once I've put in some hours with Mario Kart 7, tag me here again, I'll totally forget xD

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I don't know why I kept avoiding this thread but glad I finally peaked in. Those XL grips look really comfortable! While I usually don't buy these things ever, I think for Smash I will make an exception. Really looking forward to using one of these.

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
I don't know why I kept avoiding this thread but glad I finally peaked in. Those XL grips look really comfortable! While I usually don't buy these things ever, I think for Smash I will make an exception. Really looking forward to using one of these.
Glad to have another one on board!

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
Yeah I've had some personal experience with most of these, as well as some others now and I feel pretty confident in saying that these controller grips definitely make prolonged gameplay more comfortable. Some of them are a bit bulky for my tastes, but for anyone worried about the size/shape of the 3DS/2DS any of these options ought to do the trick.
Hey DaDavid, Thanks for crediting me in your video!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Alright, I got the pics, for whoever's interested.
These are the triggers in question. Both the bumps on the very end that extend outwards, and the bumps right above the actual triggers work perfectly.

However... See that ridge along the center? it kind folds under the screen. It's the one part that doesn't always hold in place.

It's usually not an issue, but if you use the secondary triggers (the big ones at the end)

This happens. It might not seem like a big deal, but it bends a lot of the back area out of shape, and may dislodge the triggers. I haven't used it enough with Mkart to find out.

also bonus shoutout to @ AustarusIV AustarusIV because I think he'll appreciate the decal on my 3DS

I can take more pics of different angles if you guys want, or of the top part which I left out for these pictures (and probably won't use, it's the bottom part of this thing that does the work). Just lemme know ^.^

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
These are the triggers in question. Both the bumps on the very end that extend outwards, and the bumps right above the actual triggers work perfectly.

However... See that ridge along the center? it kind folds under the screen. It's the one part that doesn't always hold in place.

It's usually not an issue, but if you use the secondary triggers (the big ones at the end)

This happens. It might not seem like a big deal, but it bends a lot of the back area out of shape, and may dislodge the triggers. I haven't used it enough with Mkart to find out.

also bonus shoutout to @ AustarusIV AustarusIV because I think he'll appreciate the decal on my 3DS

I can take more pics of different angles if you guys want, or of the top part which I left out for these pictures (and probably won't use, it's the bottom part of this thing that does the work). Just lemme know ^.^

*Immediately leaves SmashBoards to look for that decal*

No, wait, the thread.

A lot of these grips look pretty promising to use. I think I would use the first one if I was given a choice to choose from.

garrettyim

Smash Cadet

Really cool, thanks! Love the decal!

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
To anyone interested, I visited my local Gamestop and happened across the 2DS Trigger grip and took some pictures:

Impressions: Holy F&$% this thing feels amazing. I'm actually incredibly jealous of you 2DS owners right now. The triggers feel firm, the case is solid and soft-touch, it's absolutely ridiculous how good it feels. I can say without a doubt, if you have a 2DS, you are missing out if you do not already have this. I need to email PDP and tell them to make 3DS and 3DS XL grips like yesterday.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
If I could recommend one that I have, the Nyko Power Grip (this is my first post, so I'm not allowed to put a link) doesn't have bigger triggers which might be a turn-off for some, but it gives the system extra bulk that makes it more comfortable to hold. Plus it pretty much triples the battery life which is always nice.

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
If I could recommend one that I have, the Nyko Power Grip (this is my first post, so I'm not allowed to put a link) doesn't have bigger triggers which might be a turn-off for some, but it gives the system extra bulk that makes it more comfortable to hold. Plus it pretty much triples the battery life which is always nice.
Thanks for your recommendation!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So, small update.

I've been playing shovel knight extensively on my commute with the grip. It's very comfortable, but unfortunately, this game doesn't use the triggers, so I still can't comment on extended trigger use. However, there was one unexpected benefit that the grip brings.

Since it extends well around the stylus slot, it's almost impossible for the stylus to accidentally dislodge while the ds is floating in my backpack, which is a problem I used to have. So that's one extra bit going for it, haha.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Sizing up some of them you may have me sold on this idea I'm sure it would feel even better in my hands with one of those attached to my 3ds xl.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
To anyone interested, I visited my local Gamestop and happened across the 2DS Trigger grip and took some pictures:

Impressions: Holy F&$% this thing feels amazing. I'm actually incredibly jealous of you 2DS owners right now. The triggers feel firm, the case is solid and soft-touch, it's absolutely ridiculous how good it feels. I can say without a doubt, if you have a 2DS, you are missing out if you do not already have this. I need to email PDP and tell them to make 3DS and 3DS XL grips like yesterday.
Can't Ditto this enough. This thing is great. If I wasn't the type to actually use the 3D, I would seriously consider getting this system for Smash instead of potentially upgrading to an XL or even putting money into a CPP or anything like that for my original model.

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
Can't Ditto this enough. This thing is great. If I wasn't the type to actually use the 3D, I would seriously consider getting this system for Smash instead of potentially upgrading to an XL or even putting money into a CPP or anything like that for my original model.
I know what you mean! I have an Original model and an XL model, and I'm STILL considering getting this...

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
Review time!

This time, I got in the mail the 3DS version of the Monster Hunter Hunting Gear, Rathalos Red Ver.

Impressions:
It definitely feels nice, a little easier to hold than the 3DS XL version, and a lot less clunky. The triggers are exactly the same size as on the XL version. Comfort wise, everything feels lighter, so that might be the benefit of this one compared the XL model.
From what I've seen, while the triggers definitely feel nicer than the default triggers on the 3DS, there exist controller grips with an actual working triggers such as the 2DS trigger grip and the gametech grips. I'm still researching different grips and some people actually find the XL's default triggers to be comfortable as is, so I will be researching grips that do not include built in triggers to see if that might be a more viable option. Either way, the Monster Hunter grips I've purchased were definitely worth it if you want a solid, well-made controller style grip. I will probably giving this one to my girlfriend as she spends much more time with the original 3DS, and I am too used to the XL's larger screen to go back.

Let me know if there are any particular grips or accessories you would like me to look into. Thanks again for everyone's support so far!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I doubt I will bother buying a grip for Smash, since most games people claim to need a grip to playable, play just fine without it.

Either way, this is a really nice and helpful thread, which is rare in the 3DS board. Thanks for posting it!

D

Deleted member

I don't plan to buy a grip just for Smash Bros. 3DS, but these are cool-looking. Like Reila said, it can play fine without one, but nice thread!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Maybe you should update the OP with the aforementioned 2DS Trigger Grip and Nyko Power Grip.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Really awesome stuff. I might have to try one of these grips out. I didn't have too much trouble trying the demo out on 3DS, but this looks like it might assist more careful inputs.

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
Although it isn't as polished as several other cases I think I might be able to use this over a grip if need be.besides that I just wanted to show off my skin I put together.
IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1341.JPG

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I really want the XL Circle Pad Pro, I hope the R trigger works with Smash.. And I wish there was an additional grip to put on after the Pad Pro, or do you think having the Pad Pro will make it comfortable enough?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Review time!

This time, I got in the mail the 3DS version of the Monster Hunter Hunting Gear, Rathalos Red Ver.

Impressions:
It definitely feels nice, a little easier to hold than the 3DS XL version, and a lot less clunky. The triggers are exactly the same size as on the XL version. Comfort wise, everything feels lighter, so that might be the benefit of this one compared the XL model.
From what I've seen, while the triggers definitely feel nicer than the default triggers on the 3DS, there exist controller grips with an actual working triggers such as the 2DS trigger grip and the gametech grips. I'm still researching different grips and some people actually find the XL's default triggers to be comfortable as is, so I will be researching grips that do not include built in triggers to see if that might be a more viable option. Either way, the Monster Hunter grips I've purchased were definitely worth it if you want a solid, well-made controller style grip. I will probably giving this one to my girlfriend as she spends much more time with the original 3DS, and I am too used to the XL's larger screen to go back.

Let me know if there are any particular grips or accessories you would like me to look into. Thanks again for everyone's support so far!
All of these images are broken, would you mind re-hosting them? I'm curious to see.

Top Bottom