• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How to fully maximize the Smash Bros gameplay experience on the 3DS: Using a Controller-style Grip

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
I've been lurking around the smashboards forums for quite awhile; ever since the Brawl days in fact.
It's only been recently I have joined because I noticed a trend that a majority of people have labeled the 3DS version as "inferior" or "not up to par."

Having played the game at the Best Buy event (both for Wii U and the 3DS version for an extended period of time), I can say the only thing lacking in the 3DS version is mere comfort; and I wanted to share what I believe will amend this for most of you: controller-style grips for your 3DS.

3DS Grips:

Gametech Trigger 3D Grip:
This grip allows you to hold your 3DS as you would most console style controllers.
As an added bonus, the grip includes larger L-R triggers for maximum index finger comfort.
Unfortunately,like many of the grips that will be listed, this comes with a price. The only place I have found these listed were either on eBay or Amazon for $25+

Monster Hunter Hunting Gear for 3DS (Rathalos Red)
Similar to the Gametech grip, but this one is made by the Japanese brand Hori, which produces very high quality Nintendo accessories. Like the Gametech grip, it provides a controller style grip, but has longer controller handles and more solid triggers (similar to the 3DS circle pad accessory which will be shown shortly). Also like the Gametech grip, this is quite costly, being unable to find one under $30.

Impressions:
It definitely feels nice, a little easier to hold than the 3DS XL version, and a lot less clunky.
The triggers are exactly the same size as on the XL version. Comfort wise, everything feels lighter,
so that might be the benefit of this one compared the XL model.
From what I've seen, while the triggers definitely feel nicer than the default triggers on the 3DS,
there exist controller grips with actual working triggers such as the 2DS trigger grip and the
gametech grips. I'm still researching different grips and some people actually find the XL's default triggers
to be comfortable as is, so I will be researching grips that do not include built in triggers to see if that
might be a more viable option. Either way, the Monster Hunter grips I've purchased were definitely worth it
if you want a solid, well-made controller style grip. I will probably be giving this one to my girlfriend as she
spends much more time with the original 3DS, and I am too used to the XL's larger screen to go back.

3DS Mario Kart 7 Racing Wheel:
While obviously not meant to be anything more than a wheel peripheral, the 3DS wheel surprisingly feels comfortable due to the open area behind the wheel which allows a comfortable grip. Additionally, this also includes larger L-R triggers and is also made by the Japanese company Hori. This is a steal on Amazon for $8.

3DS Nyko Power Grip: (Credit to @AncientBaby )

@AncientBaby said:
If I could recommend one that I have, the Nyko Power Grip (this is my first post, so I'm not allowed to put a link) doesn't have bigger triggers which might be a turn-off for some, but it gives the system extra bulk that makes it more comfortable to hold. Plus it pretty much triples the battery life which is always nice.

3DS XL Grips:

3DS XL Gametech Trigger Grip:
The XL version of the Gametech trigger grip. Hard to find, but cheap "unofficial" ones can be found on eBay.

Monster Hunter Hunting Gear for 3DS XL (Goa Magara Black):
The 3DS XL version of the Rathalos Red grip. Also expensive, includes the larger trigger, high-quality.

Impressions: As you can all see; the thing is massive. It add quite a bit of heft and
weight, but the comfort is there and it tranlates into the games that I have tried it with
(Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, etc).
The triggers feel really nice and large and curve down so you can rest your index fingers
on the edges of the triggers, which is a great design element.

3DS XL Triggers:

This add-on does not provide a controller grip, but allows for larger triggers without the bulk of a grip, which many might find more beneficial. At $8, it might not be a bad investment if you want to prolong your gameplay.

dreamGEAR 3DS XL Comfort Grip (credited to @ Phaazoid Phaazoid )

@ Phaazoid Phaazoid said:
So, the pad itself is really nice. It's rubbery, but not the kind of rubber that gets every little piece of dirt stuck to it. I'd give the material itself a great score.

It's two pieces, one that wraps around the top, one around the bottom.

Honestly, the one around the top doesn't do much. This isn't built for protection, it's built for comfort, but I guess it gives the top a bit of protection. But it's not like that's anything against the pad.

The pad is very good about not blocking any important spots on the DS, with one small exception - the hole to the headphone slot is long, so if you have headphones with a 90 degree jack, you can't use them with this pad.

now, for the grip itself, I gotta say, shape-wise, it's great. The padding really makes it more comfortable to hold the DS, makes it feel like a gaming controller, which is what I was hoping for.

I do have one small gripe. There are two ways to push the L and R buttons, there are small bumps right above them, to show where they are. That works perfectly. There are also two extended triggers, that feel like Gcube or Xbox triggers. They are amazing. However, when you use them, the pull the back of the case out from under the DS, out of place. With only like 10 minutes of usage, it could pull it far enough out to dislodge and make the triggers not work at all.

Now, this isn't a huge deal, a quick re-adjustment between matches, or using the other triggers makes this a non issue. But I could see myself forgetting, and ****ing up and not having triggers for a match.

I'm going to try playing mario kart 7 extensively with it, to see if this really happens or not. I played DKC country returns for a few hours with it, and nothing bad happened, it was a great experience. And any game that doesn't use extensive R or L presses should have no problems at all.

So, yeah. Pretty good, but I'll have to see how bad the trigger problem could get. It might end up a non issue, it might end up making me not use the thing for smash/mkart.

Also, side note, this does make the 3DS XL extremely large with it on. I could just fit it into the pocket of my cargo shorts - and I always have huge pockets. But that's to be expected, making it larger is a bit of the point.

2DS Trigger Grip:

Impressions: Holy F&$% this thing feels amazing. I'm actually incredibly jealous of you 2DS
owners right now. The triggers feel firm, the case is solid and soft-touch, it's absolutely
ridiculous how good it feels. I can say without a doubt, if you have a 2DS, you are missing
out if you do not already have this. I need to email PDP and tell them to make 3DS and
3DS XL grips like yesterday.

Please add your own ideas and contribute to what you feel will truly enhance other players' Smash experience!

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I literally bought something similar to these for Smash 3DS, and im glad im not the only one who likes this idea. :D

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Oh this is the best first post ever. Definitely picking up that top one sometime. Thanks for the heads up and welcome to the boards! o/

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Welcome, I hope you can have good discussions here on SmashBoards!

The other devices were very interesting to see, but I'm gonna stick with getting a Circle Pad Pro XL. I really like that extra button "Z" and I hear the CPP XL is really comfy. I like the extra button since I can remap my grab to Z and make R an extra jump if Double Jump canceling is in Sm4sh. Although ABXY are small buttons and close together so I may not need an R jump, either way an extra button is a good thing if I want to map it to something else later.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I wonder if any of this will be able to attach to me streaming 3DS with the extra stuff added to the back...

D

Deleted member 245254

I wonder if any of this will be able to attach to me streaming 3DS with the extra stuff added to the back...
How do you stream from 3DS? You needed to get it installed as a big thing on the back right?

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
Yes sadly, which is why I figure it probably won't fit but I can dream.
I'm also interested in what you are speaking of if you could elaborate.
Also, I wanted to share this picture I found of the 3DS Mario Kart Racing Wheel seen from above so you can see just how much larger the triggers are.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I won't buy any of these until I decide whether or not to upgrade to an XL. Which will probably only happen after the game comes out. They all look very nice though.

Heefe

Smash Apprentice

The other devices were very interesting to see, but I'm gonna stick with getting a Circle Pad Pro XL. I really like that extra button "Z" and I hear the CPP XL is really comfy. I like the extra button since I can remap my grab to Z and make R an extra jump if Double Jump canceling is in Sm4sh. Although ABXY are small buttons and close together so I may not need an R jump, either way an extra button is a good thing if I want to map it to something else later.
Until the game supports the circle pad pro there is no way to use those extra buttons.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I just bought an MK7 wheel. I love that the round parts still look like controller grips.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'd absolutely be buying this if I wasn't completely OCD about keeping my 3DS in a silicone case.

LegendaryFish

Smash Rookie
I still wish there was something we could put on the circle pad to make it feel more
like a gamecube controller.

I don't know if it's just me, but I hate using it. It always feel scary as if it's going to break
if I jerk it around too much

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
That's awesome! I hope you enjoy it. Please post your impressions of it sometime!
Won't be too long from now. Delivery estimate's the 30th.

When I get it, I'm going to test it on Street Fighter IV so I'll know if it can stand up to rigorous traditional play.

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
I still wish there was something we could put on the circle pad to make it feel more
like a gamecube controller.

I don't know if it's just me, but I hate using it. It always feel scary as if it's going to break
if I jerk it around too much
Considering that I hear quite a few complaints about how uncomfortable it can be playing the game, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo included with the Smash Bros 3DS release, similar to what they did with Kid Icarus: Uprising. it probably won't be anything better than the options already outlined here, though. If the 3DS version gets incredibly popular post release, I can see more third parties jumping on the success and making something that could be similar to a GameCube style grip case.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
My big hands hurt after extended periods of play, so I'm fine with this. Too bad my XL wouldn't be able to fit into my Donkey Kong carry case with one of these, but I'll figure something out.

Last edited:

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
The Gametech Controller grip looks like something I would use, but I think I'm fine with my 3DS the way it is....Although those 3DS XL triggers look like I need them, but only one of them for my L trigger since it seems to be kinda jammed...May as well fix it though.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I just got my mail today, so I have to say: If you have an original-size 3DS, the Mario Kart 7 wheel gets my full recommendation. It's comfortable to hold and use, the triggers are very easy to get to, and best of all, it's still compact enough to fit in your pocket.

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
I just got my mail today, so I have to say: If you have an original-size 3DS, the Mario Kart 7 wheel gets my full recommendation. It's comfortable to hold and use, the triggers are very easy to get to, and best of all, it's still compact enough to fit in your pocket.
Great to hear! I hope others try it because of your experience. I've actually ordered the Monster Hunter grips for both the regular 3DS and for the 3DS XL, so once I get them in the mail, I'll include a thorough review for everyone. I'll also pick up the wheel for my girlfriend once the release date is closer. Thanks for your recommendation!

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I kinda want one of the others more, but if you can pretty much guarantee that the wheel would fit in my pant pockets, than that sounds much more appealing. A big pull of this game for me, believe it or not, is that it is in fact portable. Sure I want to play comfortably, but I'd like to still travel that way as well.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I kinda want one of the others more, but if you can pretty much guarantee that the wheel would fit in my pant pockets, than that sounds much more appealing. A big pull of this game for me, believe it or not, is that it is in fact portable. Sure I want to play comfortably, but I'd like to still travel that way as well.
I don't know if I can GUARANTEE it, but it's probably your best bet, and it worked on every pocket I personally tried...

The grip will add about 2 1/2 inches to your 3DS's height, 1 inch to its length, and 1 1/2 inches to its depth. If an unaccessorized 3DS fits very comfortably in your pocket, give it a try. If it's a tight fit, maybe not.

Peru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peru_El_Campeon
3DS FC
2750-1137-6520
I definitely saw this as being a great tool that people would want to get for the game! Glad others thought that way too!

garrettyim

Smash Cadet
Good to hear from some more people that are interested in this. I happened to get the 3DS XL Monster Hunter grip yesterday.
Here are some pictures and some thoughts:

As you can all see; the thing is massive. It add quite a bit of heft and weight, but the comfort is there and it tranlates into the games that I have tried it with (Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, etc)
The triggers feel really nice and large and curve down so you can rest your index fingers on the edges of the triggers, which is a great design element.
I'm actually posting this on my lunch, so I will get back to adding details later, but feel free to ask any questions about it or any other grips and I will let you know!

Last edited:

Peru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peru_El_Campeon
3DS FC
2750-1137-6520
3dscapture.com

Give it a look!
I'm actually going to contact the guy that makes this and see if he has made a way to add the circle pad pro or any attachment like that to function with the capture board

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Given Saikyoshi's words on the wheel, I might just go for that since it sounds the best for portability.

But if words comes out for CPP support... a second pad and another set of shoulder buttons might be too tempting to pass up.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx

This ^. More buttons, the better. Since I NEVER use the L button, R can be my Z (grab) and ZR will be my shield. Works out perfectly!

Top Bottom