• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's getting to that point to where I'm almost certain that the Inklings will be the next DLC fighters.

It has to be them or K. Rool but the latter I'm losing sight on

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not necessarily believe that the Inklings are inevitable in the slightest; however, I do believe that the whole "they are better saved for the next game" counter-argument is complete and utter bull****. I agree with the sentiment, but that is not going to be the reason that they are withheld from Smash DLC.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
They have to.
That's how slots work.
Could they add another slot? Yes.
But Inklings would take up a slot.
I was just wondering because maybe the slots are for the Ballot characters, but the Inklings are separate from it.
Honestly, here's my three predictions for who will make it in:
Inklings
King K. Rool
Wolf
If they add a fourth slot:
Either Rayman or Shantae

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
If there is another character that will be added as DLC YET not part of the ballot again, I'll have to say it'll be either Inkling(s), Wolf OR BOMBERMAN. In the sense of the latter like with Ryu. A rather known and popular character that isn't as wanted/believed like the ones that are like Isaac, K.Rool, etc.

Burruni

Smash Hero
If there is another character that will be added as DLC YET not part of the ballot again, I'll have to say it'll be either Inkling(s), Wolf OR BOMBERMAN. In the sense of the latter like with Ryu. A rather known and popular character that isn't as wanted/believed like the ones that are like Isaac, K.Rool, etc.
Why Bomberman and not Snake when both are owned by Konami?

Morbi

Scavenger
Bomberman over Snake because Bomberman has Smash precedent, he is one of the most highly requested veterans, and people miss him. Or wait, was that Snake? I am not sure, they both use a lot of explosives.

But seriously, the only way Bomberman is getting in Smash is if he is attached to Snake like Nana. Kill two birds with one stone, we get Snake and the Ice Climbers together! They might be a little different than you remember them. But it was the concept that was important, right? Right?!

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Snake's situation seemed kind of shady to me with the whole Konami deal now a days. But after seeing that it is the IP that can go 'freely' into Smash, then I'm not as sure. But if it is Snake, I wound't mind him. Besides, we could have some sweet tracks and stages along with him. I want me some Shadow Moses back to the game.

I just said Bomberman in case that is for a NEW character that hasn't step into Smash yet.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Probably their moveset would allow them to switch between them. Maybe like a zelda shiek thing where down B changed them from a squid to a human? idk
That would be epic.
Imagine swapping to squid form, realizing you can do nothing but flop around and get your ass beat, and then turn back in the superior Inkling.
So basically, Sheik and Zelda in Melee.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Bomberman wouldn't create the possibility of a rating bump like Snake might.

Plus Bomberman makes so much sense as a Smash character. He fits in with the roster so well. To this day, Snake was the weirdest addition we've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, Snake's a vet and absolutely deserves to return. And Bomberman was the only character I voted for. However, I'm having trouble believing we'll see either.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
That would be epic.
Imagine swapping to squid form, realizing you can do nothing but flop around and get your *** beat, and then turn back in the superior Inkling.
So basically, Sheik and Zelda in Melee.
But, here's the thing. Didn't Sakurai SAID that transforming fighters were not a thing anymore? He said it in the Special Smash Direct of April 2014 if anyone still remembers that. Not sure if Inklings could get a pass, but yeah...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Bomberman wouldn't create the possibility of a rating bump like Snake might.

Plus Bomberman makes so much sense as a Smash character. He fits in with the roster so well. To this day, Snake was the weirdest addition we've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, Snake's a vet and absolutely deserves to return. And Bomberman was the only character I voted for. However, I'm having trouble believing we'll see either.
Snake wasn't cut because he threatened the rating. I would bet money on it.
He was probably cut because of Konami.
But, here's the thing. Didn't Sakurai SAID that transforming fighters were not a thing anymore? He said it in the Special Smash Direct of April 2014 if anyone still remembers that. Not sure if Inklings could get a pass, but yeah...
It was a joke.jpg

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Oh alright, fair enough. Besides, I'd honestly thought that would be the case with a hypothetical Inkling-moveset, but with that deal of transformation out, wasn't as sure of it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm sure the Inkling will morph into a squid temporarily during certain moves. Like her Up Special will be the Super Jump where she transforms into a squid and rockets into the air.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Kind of like how PAC-MAN does with his moves into his 'classic' form in 3D. I can kind of see that with the Inklings.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
I've noticed that whoever is "most likely to get in" is just whoever is talked about the most, either through fake leaks or whatever. Shovel Knight was "basically confirmed" for a while, then K. Rool, Wolf, and now Inklings. I personally don't care who gets in at this point, as long as it surprises me.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm sure the Inkling will morph into a squid temporarily during certain moves. Like her Up Special will be the Super Jump where she transforms into a squid and rockets into the air.
the crouch and the crawl would obviously be in squid form

and when in ink you shot out you get to go...
...FAST :4sonic:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I don't personally believe there's enough logic behind any character being the next DLC character. I'm just excitedly waiting for news.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You know I think Sakurai might decide to look at the ballot and pick out characters to hold for Smash 5. King K, Inkling, Isaac, Dee could all be examples of this. I think characters that are easy like Wolf, Pichu, Snake or characters that would be "less-hype" like Dixie, SK, Wonder Red, Chibi Robo that are requested just not as much as our "big 3" would get the call.

I don't know how likely that is, just that it might be a possibility.

Also, on the 23rd it'll be a whole year since Mewtwo was announced. It really doesn't feel that long ago.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know I think Sakurai might decide to look at the ballot and pick out characters to hold for Smash 5. King K, Inkling, Isaac, Dee could all be examples of this. I think characters that are easy like Wolf, Pichu, Snake or characters that would be "less-hype" like Dixie, SK, Wonder Red, Chibi Robo that are requested just not as much as our "big 3" would get the call.

Also, on the 23rd it'll be a whole year since Mewtwo was announced. It really doesn't feel that long ago.
I understand the logic here, however I think there's a way they could get the best of both worlds.

If they re-release Smash 4 on NX with all DLC on-disc (or at least all current DLC), they can continue to add content over time. That doesn't mean to keep the entire team on Smash for years to come, but instead of making fans wait another 6 years to play as the characters they want, they could be updated every year or something. Keeps the game alive and keeps fan interest.

Plus, it would kill speculation in the meantime! (j/k but not j/k because speculation is getting to a painful grey area now)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I doubt it...

Does it make sense when you're developing a game to look at options and ideas and say, 'This character would make a great addition to the roster...I'll save it for the next game.'

I think the last thing on Sakurai's mind right now is the next Smash game especially when he's currently hard at work on this one....One thing at a time...If a character doesn't make it as DLC, either they didn't make the cut or time constraints...sure he may have more time to work on DLC than the base game but I doubt he's going to be working on this forever and is likely still required to meet certain deadlines for whatever he's working on...

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm kind of hoping for a curveball, like someone that most people counted out but stuck around in the back of people's minds.
Hmmm... Curveball eh?
Pitcher from NES Baseball confirmed /s.

In seriousness, a character who barely anyone knows would be an interesting experiment.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman

He doesn't even know if he's going to develop Smash 5, highly doubt he's holding back characters for the next game

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmmm... Curveball eh?
Pitcher from NES Baseball confirmed /s.

In seriousness, a character who barely anyone knows would be an interesting experiment.
I wouldn't say that they're barely known, quite the opposite, I'm thinking someone who's already been "deconfirmed" but gets added as a playable character just to blow everyone's minds. For example, if Waluigi suddenly was made playable.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I wouldn't say that they're barely known, quite the opposite, I'm thinking someone who's already been "deconfirmed" but gets added as a playable character just to blow everyone's minds. For example, if Waluigi suddenly was made playable.
Oh...
Either way, it would still be unbelievable in terms of everything.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I'm kind of hoping for a curveball, like someone that most people counted out but stuck around in the back of people's minds.
For the love of God, please give us a Retro JPN only character. Donbe and Hikari, Lip, or Ayumi would be cool. I want to see more text based games, and Panel de Pon finally over in the USA. This could give them that chance.

Edit:

If we are talking deconfirmed, then I hope it's Lyn, Ashley, Viridi, Ice Climbers, or Ivysaur I guess.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I would love for something like that to happen. And if that character turned out to be Takamaru? The hype would be more real than it has ever been for me. Sadly, I doubt this could actually happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom