• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
If we can get the Duck Tales theme song with him then yes.

:231:
Hey.
The BALLOT says no 4th party characters.
If someone paid their way in as a Non-Ballot, who would be a 9/10-10 out of hype (due to music), and obviously isn't a shock on how someone as fantastic as them to get in...

This is the truth of the leaks, guys.

Hey.
The BALLOT says no 4th party characters.
If someone paid their way in as a Non-Ballot, who would be a 9/10-10 out of hype (due to music), and obviously isn't a shock on how someone as fantastic as them to get in...

This is the truth of the leaks, guys.

Scrooge McDuck is the only fourth-party character that I'd actually like to see in Smash.

I'd take him over Shantae and Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The fact that within the first... month or two of the game being out that modders were able to get Octoling's model to work functionally with the Inkling for actual Inkopolis and in the actual story mode made them a clear mirror for Inklings?
The data that suggests that there is something that was/is planned for Octolings playable in some capacity (pushed by one of the lead leakers for coming soon)
Or... this artwork shown from one of the official collections (I THINK it was part of the Splatune OST purchase) that shows them without goggles, something never seen in the current game.
What if Inklings didn't get in.

What if it's Inklings / Octolings kinda like olimar/alph? And with the rumor that octolings become playable in splatoon it would make sense if rumor is true.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I like how out of all the fourth party characters (who can't get in period), no one mentions Popeye the Sailor Man but me...

Back to my corner I guess. :glare:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Funny you say that as your the Roy guy. I feel like Roy's a good example of obscure DLC. People know him, was heavily requested for a while but faded out and the character himself didn't make any major appearances for a long time. However, people like him in Melee and that got him his popularity. Doesn't this fit the concept? Nope. Roy's popularity is because of his veteran status, had he not been a last minute character in Melee, then he'd be deader than Conker
How's that obscure? Roy is from a very popular franchise and is was an extremely requested veteran to return to the series? Even if he has most of his popularity from Smash, I don't see how it makes him like that. By obscure, I meant unpopular characters like WFT, DHD, R.O.B. who are thrown out of left field.

But hey, it's kinda funny to see that i'm the "Roy" guy here on SB. I thought that title would go to someone like Chronobound or Mason. I guess that also makes me the YLink guy by proxy as well.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How's that obscure? Roy is from a very popular franchise and is was an extremely requested veteran to return to the series? Even if he has most of his popularity from Smash, I don't see how it makes him like that. By obscure, I meant unpopular characters like WFT, DHD, R.O.B. who are thrown out of left field.

But hey, it's kinda funny to see that i'm the "Roy" guy here on SB. I thought that title would go to someone like Chronobound or Mason. I guess that also makes me the YLink guy by proxy as well.
FE used to be niche, not to mention I said he'd be obscure if he wasn't in Melee and we only had Marth

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Has there actually been any Popeye video games for a while?

I personally remember only one (mainly because I own it):
Donkey Kong was originally going to be a Popeye game. When that failed, the rest is history!
Though Nintendo did make a Popeye arcade game, which may or nay not be the one in that picture.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
FE used to be niche, not to mention I said he'd be obscure if he wasn't in Melee and we only had Marth
Well TBH even if he wasn't in Melee he would still have a lot of fame.

FE was dying post-FE5 and FE6 came right after Melee so with Marth still being in the game, FE6 would have a lot of exposure from the Melee rub and Roy's game would still be remembered as the one where FE was revived from almost never coming back, similar to FE13. I doubt it would get him in to Brawl or Sm4sH but he would still have somewhat decent fame from what I just mentioned above.

TBH, you could have put almost any FE main character (other than maybe Sigurd) and they would be remembered as the "Melee vet" as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well TBH even if he wasn't in Melee he would still have a lot of fame.

FE was dying post-FE5 and FE6 came right after Melee so with Marth still being in the game, FE6 would have a lot of exposure from the Melee rub and Roy's game would still be remembered as the one where FE was revived from almost never coming back, similar to FE13. I doubt it would get him in to Brawl or Sm4sH but he would still have somewhat decent fame from what I just mentioned above.

TBH, you could have put almost any FE main character (other than maybe Sigurd) and they would be remembered as the "Melee vet" as well.
From what I heard FE6 had a lukewarm reception and lets be honest, the opera commercial and Melee boosted sales. Yadda yadda, had Roy not been in Melee, he'd be a Tier Induced Scrappy instead of a popular veteran

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
From what I heard FE6 had a lukewarm reception and lets be honest, the opera commercial and Melee boosted sales. Yadda yadda, had Roy not been in Melee, he'd be a Tier Induced Scrappy instead of a popular veteran
It was received pretty good in Japan because it got a 36/40 rating from Famitsu and from what i've read, it sold more than both of Ike's games combined (in Japan).

That's what I was saying though. Marth being in Melee would be enough to keep FE6 as a success and thus make it the game in which FE was revived.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It was received pretty good in Japan because it got a 36/40 rating from Famitsu and from what i've read, it sold more than both of Ike's games combined (in Japan).

That's what I was saying though. Marth being in Melee would be enough to keep FE6 as a success and thus make it the game in which FE was revived.
I think it's hilarious how the most popular Lord's games flopped horribly. Not to mention I hear Seisen no Keifu did well and Thracia sold okay

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
All the conflicting information flying around from multiple sources is kind of jarring. Basically a summary of today's "leaks":

What people agree on:

-Newcomer being confirmed later this month.
-Is the last of the preballot characters.
-Social media will go crazy over it.

What people don't agree on:

-It's not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
-The character isn't the most popular but it's pretty far up there.
-It's first party.
-It's heavily implied to be Inklings.

Let's just see how long this whole thing rides out for.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think it's hilarious how the most popular Lord's games flopped horribly. Not to mention I hear Seisen no Keifu did well and Thracia sold okay
FE4 had Sigurd tho who's like the Chuck Norris of FE almost.

I wonder why Ike's game didn't do well in Japan considering that both of his games outside Japan are a huge hit especially in the West.

Burruni

Smash Hero
What if Inklings didn't get in.

What if it's Inklings / Octolings kinda like olimar/alph? And with the rumor that octolings become playable in splatoon it would make sense if rumor is true.
I'll take it.
No question.

FE4 had Sigurd tho who's like the Chuck Norris of FE almost.

I wonder why Ike's game didn't do well in Japan considering that both of his games outside Japan are a huge hit especially in the West.
Ike's games didn't do well because FE, especially state-side, was integrated as a handheld experience. A lot of the fanbase didn't want to "sit down and play" the game, along with little bits and pieces that people didn't enjoy such as the skill system and bonus EXP.

(And near nobody outside of the FE community knows who Sigurd is, I believe Roy would be similar but only kept up because of his ties to Eliwood and FE7 in general)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
All the conflicting information flying around from multiple sources is kind of jarring. Basically a summary of today's "leaks":

What people agree on:

-Newcomer being confirmed later this month.
-Is the last of the preballot characters.
-Social media will go crazy over it.

What people don't agree on:

-It's not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
-The character isn't the most popular but it's pretty far up there.
-It's first party.
-It's heavily implied to be Inklings.

Let's just see how long this whole thing rides out for.
No one has stated anything about "last of the pre-ballot" characters.

What do you mean by what people "do" or "don't" agree on. The speculators or the people leaking?

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I don't want Dixie Kong. I also don't want Shantae. But what I do want.....is Shantae + Dixie Kong.

BECAUSE I NEED TO HAVE THE ULTIMATE HAIR FIGHT!!!!!!

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
God Nintendo already forced fed so much Splatoon that I don't want to buy it. If they really are in I will be supper disappointed.

I don't think its Inkling because its not a ten on Rodgers hype scale. Which I really doubt. He wants Inkling pretty badly I think, especially how when the ballot was announced Inkling and SK were the first two names he said he wanted people to vote for.

Roger is the only one I trust at this point. And I feel like the Inkling guy may have just spoke to another twitter person who was lying or something.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
God Nintendo already forced fed so much Splatoon that I don't want to buy it. If they really are in I will be supper disappointed.

I don't think its Inkling because its not a ten on Rodgers hype scale. Which I really doubt. He wants Inkling pretty badly I think, especially how when the ballot was announced Inkling and SK were the first two names he said he wanted people to vote for.

Roger is the only one I trust at this point. And I feel like the Inkling guy may have just spoke to another twitter person who was lying or something.
I only ever trusted Sean during this whole madness. If you ever decide to get Splatoon, your gonna be playing it for a prettttyyy long time haha.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If they are not going to say the name, then the information really is worthless.

They are either lying or giving such sparse information that they might as well be lying because the data has no value.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm willing to entertain the possibility.

It'd be something to talk about, if nothing else!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Everyone so far HAS said this. Its agreed upon.
Are we sure about this? Now, I don't think anyone has stated it was a third-party, but some people didn't say it was first-party. However, no one said it wasn't first-party.

The people making the claims. I've seen several things today of people making different claims.
Must be something I haven't seen yet, because most of the second batch of things you listed is either consistent or wasn't mentioned by certain people (SeanHicksART never said it was first-party, but he never said it wasn't, either).

If they are not going to say the name, then the information really is worthless.

They are either lying or giving such sparse information that they might as well be lying because the data has no value.
The important thing is the time of the reveal, not the character. RogersBase is pretty adamant that info is being released by the end of this week (he said "within the next two weeks" not this past weekend but the prior), and Stealth said last week it'd be revealed by next week. That's the most important bit. SeanHicksART only said this month, but the info is so similar to Stealth's we've got a pretty clear cut restriction down to this week. If nothing pans out this week its dead regardless of what anyone has stated.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
This doesn't apply to everyone,and probably not many people in this thread, but, what's with all these assumptions that the leak's true? I feel like a lot of us are putting a bit too much trust into this, not saying it's fake, but it might not necessarily end up being true either. Like seriously, come on, how easy is it to get a group of friends together and make a text leak? Not very hard, and to top it all off what do most people in the leak so far have in common? They all like the Inklings, it's possible that they might have wanted to generate a fake leak for them, to make more people want them, just like what happened with the Chorus Kids with their leak. Not to mention that they haven't directly named the character which means, if they don't say the character's name directly, regardless of who it is and whether or not they actually knew who it was, they can claim they knew who it was, and people would end up believing they knew, even if they didn't, giving them more credibility. The not telling the name, could be a legitimate attempt not to get in trouble or it could also just be a fail safe in case it's not Inklings. But seriously, I don't see any reason to put all my trust in this.

Edit:Grammar

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Remember when this is what it took for a leak to be credible?

Now we get a couple people on Twitter saying "Guys, my uncle who works at Nintendo totally says we're getting an announcement soon!", and it's being treated like word from Sakurai. There is NO source given for any of these leaks (meaning everyone could be getting their info from the same troll), no concrete details, and the only info it actually gives is the most brain-dead prediction possible: "Nintendo will be revealing new character info within a few weeks of the ballot closing!" Really?! I never would have guessed! Except, oh wait, I guessed that when the ballot started. I guess I have some super special source now too!

I understand that we're starved for info right now, but isn't this fan base getting a LITTLE too hyped for something which is just a Twitter statement of what a lot of people said would happen months ago?

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Are there any characters you guys would not be happy with if they join as DLC? (excluding 4th party that won't ever happen anyway).

Personally, it's just:
Banjo & Kazooie - They are MS 1st Party. End of. I do not care about thier history with Nintendo. It sure is great but I don't think MS should be getting the free advertising, and Nintendo would be stupid to give that to them imho. The benefit of such advertising is far larger than any money made of the B&K DLC for Nintendo & hard core fan praise.

Shovel Knight - It has a game, not a series yet. Nuff said.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This doesn't apply to everyone,and probably not many people in this thread, but, what's with all these assumptions that the leak's true? I feel like a lot of us are putting a bit too much trust into this, not saying it's fake, but might not necessarily end up being true either. Like seriously, come on, how easy is it to get a group of friends together and make a text leak? Not very hard at all, and to top it all off what do most people in the leak so far have in common? They all like the Inklings, it's possible that they might have wanted to generate a fake leak for them, to make more people want them, just like what happened with the Chorus Kids. Not to mention they haven't directly named the character which means, if they don't say the character's name directly, regardless of who it is and whether or not they knew who it is, they can claim they knew who it was, and people would end up believing they knew, even if they didn't. The not telling the name, could be a legitimate attempt not to get in trouble or it could also just be a fail safe in case it's not Inklings. But seriously, I don't see any reason to put all my trust in this.
The main issue is that this is tied to RogersBase's initial statement, and I don't think he's the kind of guy to lie about getting info. A few of the other people are tied to RogersBase as well. SeanHicksART, as far as I'm aware, is not. Presumably he got the info from someone else. But considering how he's handling this, I think its probably legit, because he has no idea how to handle this kind of info at all. At the very least, I think HE thinks its legit. He also never struck me as the kind of guy to lie about something.

I don't think RogersBase would say anything if he didn't believe it was true. Now it is also true, he didn't say we'd be getting a character.

Now we get a couple people on Twitter saying "Guys, my uncle who works at Nintendo totally says we're getting an announcement soon!", and it's being treated like word from Sakurai. There is NO source given for any of these leaks (meaning everyone could be getting their info from the same troll), no concrete details, and the only info it actually gives is the most brain-dead prediction possible: "Nintendo will be revealing new character info within a few weeks of the ballot closing!" Really?! I never would have guessed! Except, oh wait, I guessed that when the ballot started. I guess I have some super special source now too!

I understand that we're starved for info right now, but isn't this fan base getting a LITTLE too hyped for something which is just a Twitter statement of what a lot of people said would happen months ago?
I believed we'd get info shortly after the ballot, but there's a lot of people who don't believe we'll get anything at all for months.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Are there any characters you guys would not be happy with if they join as DLC? (excluding 4th party that won't ever happen anyway).

Personally, it's just:
Banjo & Kazooie - They are MS 1st Party. End of. I do not care about thier history with Nintendo. It sure is great but I don't think MS should be getting the free advertising, and Nintendo would be stupid to give that to them imho. The benefit of such advertising is far larger than any money made of the B&K DLC for Nintendo & hard core fan praise.

Shovel Knight - It has a game, not a series yet. Nuff said.
Inklings because I really don't like Splatoon
Geno because why him?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I only ever trusted Sean during this whole madness. If you ever decide to get Splatoon, your gonna be playing it for a prettttyyy long time haha.
No. Nintendo's horrible E3 advertising of the game makes me never want to purchase it. I've never been more bothered by a game being shown online then what they did during E3 2014 for Splatoon. They showed way to much of the same exact thing over and over again, and refused to show any other games that actually interested me. I'm not spending 60 bucks on a game I'll be sick of after 10 mins, in which I can't even play local multiplayer with all of my siblings/friends.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

The problem is too many people doing it at the same time.

If the source of a rumour/leak is singular, it's easier to scrutinise, but with so many (credible, semi-credible and non-credible) people saying that they know something, it's hard to cross-check. It's like that effect where if everyone believes/says something, it becomes the truth.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The problem is too many people doing it at the same time.

If the source of a rumour/leak is singular, it's easier to scrutinise, but with so many (credible, semi-credible and non-credible) people saying that they know something, it's hard to cross-check. It's like that effect where if everyone believes/says something, it becomes the truth.

This is the problem here. There's just too many people saying almost the exact same thing. Some with similar info (RogersBase's new info within next two weeks), others with more specific (Stealth the most specific, next being Sean).

If its legit, though, Nintendo been hurry up and announce that Direct, otherwise its bound to get revealed to someone who won't keep it a secret.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
No. Nintendo's horrible E3 advertising of the game makes me never want to purchase it. I've never been more bothered by a game being shown online then what they did during E3 2014 for Splatoon. They showed way to much of the same exact thing over and over again, and refused to show any other games that actually interested me. I'm not spending 60 bucks on a game I'll be sick of after 10 mins, in which I can't even play local multiplayer with all of my siblings/friends.
Can't say I think you are being fair when you are essentially saying you are going to judge a game which the developers had said was "10%" complete at the time. Of course they were also going to advertise the heck out of it. After the disasters in sales that were previous IPs like Wonderful 101 and Codename Steam, why wouldn't they? Especially when they wanted it to be the Mario kart of shooters.

Also, for those bringing up the fact that leaks has been wrong before. We are dealing with somebodies on the internet. Not some random anonymous person. Their reputation is on the line. They could go through heavy punishment if they are seen as lying. Death threats and all. And because they are not anonymous, those kind of things won't stop as easily. The internet is not forgiving.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The main issue is that this is tied to RogersBase's initial statement, and I don't think he's the kind of guy to lie about getting info. A few of the other people are tied to RogersBase as well. SeanHicksART, as far as I'm aware, is not. Presumably he got the info from someone else. But considering how he's handling this, I think its probably legit, because he has no idea how to handle this kind of info at all. At the very least, I think HE thinks its legit. He also never struck me as the kind of guy to lie about something.

I don't think RogersBase would say anything if he didn't believe it was true. Now it is also true, he didn't say we'd be getting a character.

I believed we'd get info shortly after the ballot, but there's a lot of people who don't believe we'll get anything at all for months.
So your faith in one guy (with no given source), is enough to convince you a leak is genuine? He was convinced. Ok, that's great. If he gave his source, maybe I'd be convinced too. But he hasn't. All the fact that he's convinced means to me is that he's almost as gullible as the fan base. How was he convinced? Was it one guy HE trusted telling him"yeah, this is coming soon"? Because if not, then it took more to convince him than it did you. His leak is banking on you being more gullible than he is. And he's right.

Also, isn't SeanHicksART associated with Smashified? As in, the guys who have been blatantly trolling everyone every time they have a new character, just for the heck of it? But, yeah, they're totally trustworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom