• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Welp, that was fun, I still have a paper mario group, but now that the char thread will close, I mgith as well put it public.

As for the character support group, I think i will port my thread there.

tbh, with the ballot and everything, I am not sad that it has to happen, I have saved html for nostalgia purposes anyway :)

Hope every owners will have a smooth transition, I recommend you save an html of the first page to read your OP, you might want this for nostalgia sake :)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
It's sad to hear that we're shutting this down, the character boards are honestly my favorite part of the site, with all the speculation and all, and while they'll hopefully still be active, I don't think they will be the same, so I'm kind of sad about that now. It's been a good run, and I wish good luck to everyone that they get what they wanted from the DLC.

On a less serious note, who else wants to bet that all the characters will be released next week, and that's the reason we're closing down :p?
I'm betting 12 internet cookies on it.
Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why are they shutting us down? They really didn't give a good reason.
There is nothing on-topic to talk about in the support threads. The support threads have largely become social threads instead and at best, the threads were discussing topics only tangentially related to the character.

The DLC Character Thread was the only one which actually was on-topic most of the time, so it's getting a successor in the WiiU/3DS General Discussion, but is broader in scope and it will stricter about fighting and flaming.

It helps that @oni333 had a social group ready. It will make the migration easier.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
For those already talking about "abandoning ship," a new version of this thread will still exist after the lock.

It also should be noted that, with this board’s closure, a new thread in the Wii U/3DS General Discussion will open up for DLC Discussion of all types, characters included.
The new thread is where all further discussion from this original/all subsequent topics will continue. The Social Group bit is just our suggestion for those that want to maintain the same specific discussion and "Support" groups that the threads held before them.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Fine. Making my life sadder. I see how it is. Welp, looking forward to the successor and this group thingy... (ok not the latter like at all but I'll get used to it)

The problem with transformation movesets can be seen with Zelda. If one moveset/character is superior than the other, then why even have the transformation? That's part of the reason why Sheik and Zelda were separated. Sheik was clearly superior to Zelda and essentially made her counterpart irrelevant.

At least that's what I would say the problem is. It could also have something to do with 3DS limitations.
I don't really care what the reason behind it was but I really wanted all transformation characters to be separated so I'm glad this has been done.
Random Thought.

Would it be possible that we MAY get a 2nd rep with Sega and/or Namco in the same vein with Capcom (Megaman and Ryu)?
Maybe.
For SEGA I see Bayonetta however she isn't as iconic as what we have now. (not that I care about this). Bayonetta is unfortunately highly unlikely in my eyes, despite the decent Ballot support. I personally don't see the problem with adding in 3rd parties like Bayo or Shanae (tbfair an indie) just because they have relatively low sales and so less impact/popularity in gaming.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
There is nothing on-topic to talk about in the support threads. The support threads have largely become social threads instead and at best, the threads were discussing topics only tangentially related to the character.
It's been like that for quite a while though. Why is it suddenly a problem?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's been like that for quite a while though. Why is it suddenly a problem?
The situation wasn't liked by the staff, but we let it go on because we expected some news from Nintendo which would reduce the problem by giving people something to talk about. But the new drought only worsened.

The Twitter rumours proving false was the last straw.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I'm sad to hear of this thread closing, though I have not commented all that much in my short time one the site, this was my main attraction and something I would read quite a bit in the mornings before work. Oh well, here's to a hopefully entertaining general discussion thread. Links to the next main one will be appreciated.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'll post the new thread later today before I go to bed as the OP has already been written and that board-closure talk will continue in this: the only on-topic thread, until I do.

So probably in an hour or two.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
Well, it was beautiful while it lasted. Even though I haven't posted that much, I've checked this thread almost everyday and this thread's been my introduction to this fantastic website. But, like all good things, it has an end, and I'm looking forward to see you again in the new successor of this thread, and be able to debate about this great game that links us all.
May we meet again in a better (life) thread.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
See what you've done, news drought?!

I think it's for the better though. Social groups are infinitely more lax than the main forums and we can separate serious from casual talk of DLC.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Character ballot finally ends after 5 months of quiet: Dictating an assured new character to the roster, and likely 3, if not more.
The reaction... is to stop the discussion of character thread, right when we were clearly, without any possible question, going to be given news.

What a logical conclusion.

Transformation and copycat could probably be considered similar. If the character were something like Ditto or Zoroark, and they had the ability to use other movesets, they would have to put every moveset and all coding from every character in that character's file, much like they did with Pokemon Trainer and his team.

The character would be a disaster balancewise hypothetically. If you pick the character against a Pikachu, and you get Greninja by RNG, you just got screwed with the matchup. Then again someone picking that character competitively is simply asking for trouble.

It's an interesting idea but it just seems like a lot of work. Like I said, you'd have to put all the coding data for every character into one character file. It would never work on the 3DS, assuming that issue is what gave us Solo Charizard.

I feel like the concept would be better off as a mode where you pick a starting character and then get a Mario Kart like block and get a randomly determined character.
I truly do not follow your logic;
A transformation character (as we are discussning the term)
1- Has forms it can switch between, at will, in battle (a mechanical difference to which you refer in balancing character appeal... which is irrelevant)
2- Needs to process the change mid-battle, not just once at the start of the battle.

Nothing similar about them except the terminology.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I truly do not follow your logic;
A transformation character (as we are discussning the term)
1- Has forms it can switch between, at will, in battle (a mechanical difference to which you refer in balancing character appeal... which is irrelevant)
2- Needs to process the change mid-battle, not just once at the start of the battle.

Nothing similar about them except the terminology.
Transformation characters would need to change every stock at random. Now that I think about it, Sakurai said debugging was stressful because of a glitch happening because of character A fighting against character B with a palette swap on stage C and when item D is on the field. A transformation character would make that a lot more work now that I think about it because of all the random transformations

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Transformation characters would need to change every stock at random. Now that I think about it, Sakurai said debugging was stressful because of a glitch happening because of character A fighting against character B with a palette swap on stage C and when item D is on the field. A transformation character would make that a lot more work now that I think about it because of all the random transformations
I mean, a character is whatever happen to be the character; nothing dictates that it needs to be a new character each life.
However, even if so, this would be just one transfer each new stock, which could have been predetermined at the match's launch, and take the time that the recharge does during a characters reanimation back on the board.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, a character is whatever happen to be the character; nothing dictates that it needs to be a new character each life.
However, even if so, this would be just one transfer each new stock, which could have been predetermined at the match's launch, and take the time that the recharge does during a characters reanimation back on the board.
El something said his idea is a different character every stock. I can't help but find this idea unfeasable as it's precisely why the random button exists

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The situation wasn't liked by the staff, but we let it go on because we expected some news from Nintendo which would reduce the problem by giving people something to talk about. But the new drought only worsened.

The Twitter rumours proving false was the last straw.
By Twitter rumours do you mean the ones posted by Octogirl or Rogersbase? (or both of them?)

I suppose it's a blessing in disguise, it's exciting because everything is up in the air again.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
El something said his idea is a different character every stock. I can't help but find this idea unfeasable as it's precisely why the random button exists
I think he might mean something more akin to Project M's Crew Battle mode, where you can select a different character for each stock you have. So like in a three-stock battle, you can either play just one character for three stocks or you can play one character one stock, then another the next, and another for the last.

That would be pretty unique in an official game, I'll admit.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I certainly prefer the ambiguity of knowing nothing than HAY GUISE IM SUPPOSEDLY CREDIBLE AND I HAS INFO ON NEXT CHARACTER.

It'll make the next reveal all the more surprising.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
http://smashboards.com/threads/general-dlc-discussion.421547/

There you all go. FalKoopa FalKoopa I'll leave the rest to you.

See what you've done, news drought?!

I think it's for the better though. Social groups are infinitely more lax than the main forums and we can separate serious from casual talk of DLC.
It's been on the Staff's mind since the Mewtwo announcement. To be frank, Support threads have never been very popular among the Staff, as talking about a single character tends to lead to off topic discussion almost immediately, especially when it's for a long drawn out period.

Not that you care Liquid, as I already let you into the Hangout group a while back. :smirk:

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, what would happen on the off-chance we get news this week? I'm curious about that because it's Nintendo's quarter earnings and their pressed to reveal a mobile title, so I'm kinda expecting some smash news this week, so if say, we got a character reveal, would we continue on as normal or still close if that happened? I'm guessing that we'd still end up closing, since it's apparently a problem with how off topic the thread's get?

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
So, what would happen on the off-chance we get news this week? I'm curious about that because it's Nintendo's quarter earnings and their pressed to reveal a mobile title, so I'm kinda expecting some smash news this week, so if say, we got a character reveal, would we continue on as normal or still close if that happened? I'm guessing that we'd still end up closing, since it's apparently a problem with how off topic the thread's get?
Probably wouldn't matter as this change seems to be fueled by some anti-character speculation/support agenda.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's too late at this point. Closing the section was on the cards ever since the ballot closed. We didn't immedaitely close it because we were expecting some news, but it has gone long enough since.

The DLC Group is accepting everyone, and is endorsed by the staff as well.

Probably wouldn't matter as this change seems to be fueled by some anti-character speculation/support agenda.
You make it sound like there was a group lobbying to get the section locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom