• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If Ridley off all characters was a surprise DLC character, then honestly, that's the best mind****ery Sakurai's pulled. Stupidly popular character, gets shot down, added as DLC later. Whether or not it's possibly happening is a different story, but it would truly be a sight to behold

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
If Ridley off all characters was a surprise DLC character, then honestly, that's the best mind****ery Sakurai's pulled. Stupidly popular character, gets shot down, added as DLC later. Whether or not it's possibly happening is a different story, but it would truly be a sight to behold
Honestly, the would be the one and only time that I admit that Sakurai is the master of mind games that everyone seems to claim he is because they hold their preconceived notions about speculation close to their chests.

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I posted something similar in the Wolf thread. This conquest is dealing with Metroid, Starfox, and DK. It ends on the 16th, when there's a rumored Splatoon update, and Sm4sh could join in. We've got three character slots already ready to go, so it is likely multiple characters are due soon. So what if we get Ridley, Wolf, and K Rool at once? A guy can dream.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I posted something similar in the Wolf thread. This conquest is dealing with Metroid, Starfox, and DK. It ends on the 16th, where there's a rumored Splatoon update, and Sm4sh could join in. We've got three character slots already ready to go, so it is likely multiple characters are due soon. So what if we get Ridley, Wolf, and K Rool at once? A guy can dream.
Hype overload, eshop servers would crash for days, people who have jobs can't stop thinking about it therefore making them worse, the people who dislike the characters would sit in a straightjacket sobbing in a corner, etc.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Hype overload, eshop servers would crash for days, people who have jobs can't stop thinking about it therefore making them worse, the people who dislike the characters would sit in a straightjacket sobbing in a corner, etc.
All the pain we've taken up to this point will be worth it for such a hype trip.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I posted something similar in the Wolf thread. This conquest is dealing with Metroid, Starfox, and DK. It ends on the 16th, when there's a rumored Splatoon update, and Sm4sh could join in. We've got three character slots already ready to go, so it is likely multiple characters are due soon. So what if we get Ridley, Wolf, and K Rool at once? A guy can dream.
What's the conquest? Series that are sorely missing key players, specifically villains?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What's the conquest? Series that are sorely missing key players, specifically villains?
Series Showdown, Round 3!

The three series go head to head with their heroes.

And coincidentally, all three series have well wanted villains that aren't in the roster, and only have two characters per series.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hmm.... If Sakurai could remove the stock icon they have for Ridley of his Brawl artwork (Super Metroid incarnation) and not call a glowing Other M Ridley "Meta Ridley", then I think that would work out in the end. His Super Metroid design would obviously be the best pick for what he would look like in the game anyway.

Last edited:
(I know most people believe this but not everyone)
We aren't getting Ridley in smash 4. No matter what. Quote me on this I don't care. There is no way Sakurai will pull a 180 of that magnitude. The only characters less likely than Ridley are characters technically impossible (the entire W101) and non-video game characters.

I don't care what the hints do or don't point towards thinking Ridley has a shadow of a chance is foolish. And I freaing love Ridley.

It's over.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hmm.... If Sakurai could remove the stock icon they have for Ridley of his Brawl artwork (Super Metroid incarnation) and not call a glowing Other M Ridley "Meta Ridley", then I think that would work out in the end. His Super Metroid design would obviously be the best pick for what he would look like in the game anyway.
No.
DLC can't/won't remove things/features in the game.
Period.
It's like saying that they can just change the ESRB rating if they wanted to add someone like Bayonetta or Snake.

That's not even opening up the can of worms of getting "Super Metroid" Ridley to work as a fighter with THOSE proportions.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
No.
DLC can't/won't remove things in the game.
Period.

That's not even opening up the can of worms of getting "Super Metroid" Ridley to work as a fighter with THOSE proportions.
Meh; I guess you're right. I suppose there's always 3-5 years worth of waiting before he gets another chance.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Meh; I guess you're right. I suppose there's always 3-5 years worth of waiting before he gets another chance.
I mean.
I am not trying to be overly rude (despite being a FIRM person against Ridley from a functionality standpoint from very early on).
But there are just... certain thick walls in the way.

Ridley is like Ice Climbers; not this time around.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
...What gold mine?
It's more debunking of the SK rumor as far as I can see.
But yes, he'd get his own Amiibo and a Smash one.

Why, though?
Why Ridley?
After Sakurai going from "He'd probably be impossible" in Brawl to "Ridley as a fighter would comrpomise his character" less than a year ago.
His popularity has taken a nosedive after the game came out and that was one of his strongest points as a candidate.
Edit: I can't remember who in the mess said this in particular, but they said that the character "wouldn't be a shock" that they got in.
RIDLEY GETTING IN THE GAME WOULD HAVE THIS SITE IMPLODE ON ITSELF FROM SHOCK AND SALT
I was referring to the debunking, to be specific. However I'm still positively skeptical, as Tamaki has told me numerous times that it's still in the air and that the source checks out. Also excuse me but Ridley?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I mean.
I am not trying to be overly rude (despite being a FIRM person against Ridley from a functionality standpoint from very early on).
But there are just... certain thick walls in the way.

Ridley is like Ice Climbers; not this time around.
Eh, you didn't sound rude to me; you made some good points. I had a bit of a headache (was about to go eat, anyway) when I was typing that, so it sounded like my response was a bit sarcastic/jerkish. I apologize for that.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Eh, you didn't sound rude to me; you made some good points. I had a bit of a headache (was about to go eat, anyway) when I was typing that, so it sounded like my response was a bit sarcastic/jerkish. I apologize for that.
It's just that against certain characters I'm strongly against (Ridley, Bayonetta, Butt-Butt, Impa, Young Link, Krystal.... who hasn't been seen in a game since 2006 and people say K. Rool is too irrelevant *grumble grumble*) I tend to be more... aggressvie in my standings and reasonings against them and how such are expressed.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm confused, why are we disscussing a character that has been debunked long ago and has even been stated to not work in a Smash environment due to his size?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm confused, why are we disscussing a character that has been debunked long ago and has even been stated to not work in a Smash environment due to his size?
Not his size, explicitly.
It's in the nature of his proportions, ability to freely fly, and the nature of his intimidation being strongly tied to an identity that'd be compromised if he were scaled down and ground-bound in the eyes of Sakurai.

We were quickly shutting down the notion after someone said that the hints of the leak may hint towards a "Big" reveal.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Not his size, explicitly.
It's in the nature of his proportions, ability to freely fly, and the nature of his intimidation being strongly tied to an identity that'd be compromised if he were scaled down and ground-bound in the eyes of Sakurai.

We were quickly shutting down the notion after someone said that the hints of the leak may hint towards a "Big" reveal.
I remember various sources saying Mewtwo and Dixie were coming, but some said Ridley, some said CB, some said MR (which made no sense considering Duck Hunt was this game's NES rep) , and some said Impa. None were true.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
The topic hasn't gone anywhere in a while lol.

Okay, a more pragmatic option, Ridley, Dixie Kong, and Wolf Mii outfits :troll:.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I honestly still believe the character being mentioned is Ridley.
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
As someone who still has faith Ridley will be playable someday, It's best to give up hope he'll get any good role in 4

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wouldn't start toying with the idea that Ridley is going to end up playable...you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

BTW, playing Chibi-Robo...this game gets painful. So many terrible game design choices. There is so much they could have done better. It's too bad. Chibi-Robo could have been a really good character in Smash. At least I think he could have been.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I wouldn't start toying with the idea that Ridley is going to end up playable...you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

BTW, playing Chibi-Robo...this game gets painful. So many terrible game design choices. There is so much they could have done better. It's too bad. Chibi-Robo could have been a really good character in Smash. At least I think he could have been.
I only saw the original trailer and the bosses... yeah, not exactly surprised.
A shame, really.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

It honestly doesn't really separate it from any other platformer, it's kind of generic, as much as it pains me to say.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

New Chibi or Gamecube chibi? Gamecube chibi was dope, of all the realistic options left I have Chibi ranked second after Isaac

(And third after Young Link, Young Link Pleeeease)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

He really still could.

Popularity, however may not be on his side.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Ridley will never be playable in Smash 4, EVER!!!

I don't suppose there was a way you could've at least made sound less.... dickish?

Like, geese, how would you feel if someone just ran up to and shouted "BANDANNA DEE IS JUST A COMMON ENEMY IN A HAT, HE'll *NEVER* BE PLAYABLE IN SMASH BROS. EVER."

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
He really still could.

Popularity, however may not be on his side.
Also the fact that his series, supposedly, hinged on the success of Zip Lash.

Which, judging by what we've seen, will turn out to be a bluff or the end of one of the more unique IPs to spring up.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Also the fact that his series, supposedly, hinged on the success of Zip Lash.

Which, judging by what we've seen, will turn out to be a bluff or the end of one of the more unique IPs to spring up.
*Internally Screams*

That's... Not good.

Why hang an IP's future on a mediocre game?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
No, but several people seem to know who also are buddy-buddy with each other. RogersBase, Stealth, therealzef, and OfficialShofu (three of them were on the latest JapanTime, and Stealth has been on in the past). Now SeanHicks seems to have figured it out, too.

It could be an elaborate troll, but a hell of a lot of people seem to know this. And SeanHicks doesn't have any connections with the others either. SeanHicks also worded his statement very similar to Stealth's, he just didn't specifically say it wasn't a first-party newcomer.

It'd be one thing if this was all disjointed, but a lot of people seem to know this information, and several of them, again, work together in various things. SeanHicks is the first I've seen who apparently learned of it and isn't connected to JapanTime.
He didn't just 'figure it out'...

Burruni

Smash Hero
*Internally Screams*

That's... Not good.

Why hang an IP's future on a mediocre game?
Because the entire series before Zip Lash sold, accumlatively, somewhere around 700k units. Historically it had been medicore to poor in terms of reception in spite of its creativity.

This was more of a "last straw," it seems.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
All the supposed "leakers" have framed their hints in such a vague manner that they can't be wrong (except for the stealth guy who said it isn't Wolf). I don't see any proof of credibility in theirs bios and statements. Hopefully a few more days until we have an official word.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

I don't suppose there was a way you could've at least made sound less.... dickish?

Like, geese, how would you feel if someone just ran up to and shouted "BANDANNA DEE IS JUST A COMMON ENEMY IN A HAT, HE'll *NEVER* BE PLAYABLE IN SMASH BROS. EVER."
One it was exaggerative, two I typed in my post before yours, three I never said he wouldn't be playable, I said he just wouldn't be in this installment because of his role, four I did appologize, five I was only joking. I don't think he'll be playable this time around, because hes been deconfirmed, I'm sorry if it came out the wrong way. I didn't mean to sound rude, I'm very sorry.

Last edited:

Duke27

Centurion
NNID
DukeCrimson27
3DS FC
3368-2844-0762
All the supposed "leakers" have framed their hints in such a vague manner that they can't be wrong (except for the stealth guy who said it isn't Wolf). I don't see any proof of credibility in theirs bios and statements. Hopefully a few more days until we have an official word.
Is this the same leak that said we'd be getting something in about two weeks or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom